Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreenTentacle

What was your first anime?

What was the first anime that you ever saw? What was that first seed planted that got you hooked into the genre and eventually lead you to Otakon?

When I was a little kid and lived in Los Angeles the local TV station showed 2 series that I totally loved: Tranzor Z (the American translation of Mazinger Z) and Voltron (originally called Beast King Go Lion). Later we got a copy of a movie called Warriors of the Wind (an early messy translation of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind). It wasn't until a network started showing Sailor Moon that I learned exactly what anime was. Now I've seen dozens of series and movies and look forward to seeing more and more. wub.png

Well, I guess I always liked anime, even though I didn't really know what it was. . . . Like, I was always watchin Sailor Moon and Pokemon when I was little. And then a few years back, episode 1 of Lucky Star popped up in my YouTube suggestions, and I fell in love. Then I saw Haruhi Suzumiya, and then Hetalia. Then a whole bunch of others, but for Hetalia, I came across the panel from Otakon last year. I didn't think much of it until I went to Anime USA, then, as I was looking for other cons, I realized that Otakon was nearby, so I decided to go to it! This is my first Otakon, and second convention.

I probably just went into more detail than I needed to, but whatever. xD

For me it was Slayers (the English dub version). Prior to watching it I had exactly 0% interest in anime, but I had a friend back in middle/high school who was into a few different shows (Sailor Moon & Blue Seed come to mind). One day we got sent home from school early due to snow, and I'd forgotten my house key. Knowing no one would be there to let me in I walked over to my friend's house. She heated us up some leftover chow mein (think that was my first time eating Chinese food, too; I'd always thought it was icky before that day lol) and we sat down to watch TV. Of course she put on some anime, Slayers, that I didn't want to watch but not wanting to be rude I endured it. ......and I fell instantly in love. "So this is anime, huh? A type of cartoon that is in no way like any cartoon I've seen prior, with well-fleshed out characters, hot guys, & epic storylines? More, please!!" XD

Well, like most kids I grew up watching Saturday morning cartoons however, I vaguely remember Sci-Fi channel airing anime movies early in the morning and I caught a glimpse of one and instantly knew this was different from other cartoons. Shortly after that is when I began watching Sailor Moon, Pokemon and the other major shows that first aired around that time. Watching these programs struck a cord in me that I never felt before watching regular cartoons. These shows had characters that although fictional felt alive to me. I felt emotions I never had before watching other shows on t.v. I would have to say it was at that moment that I really got hooked on anime, and I've been a die hard fan over since XP

My first child-love anime? Definately Sailor Moon, I can still sing the theme song backwards, it was all my cousin and I did was be Sailor Moon (her) and Sailor Jupiter (me).. and if her little sister became a bother we made her Mini Moon who got "kidnapped" into another room <.<;

My first official anime that I count only because I wasnt a child however, is FMA and Wolf's Rain. Which I saw one after another one night. So, their both equal. Though FMA has a little more headway due to my first voice-actor obsession of Vic XD

Sailor Moon or Pokemon, but I didn't really know what anime was when I was watching them. The first anime I watched for the sake of watching anime was Comic Party. ComiPa is still my favorite series to date.

I had to look up the dates a little....but I think I'm gonna have to say both the English dubbed version of Sailor Moon (when it was "owned"/"edited?" by DiC--meaning sometime around 1995-1997?)

& the chinese dubbed version of Yu Yu Hakusho (which I'm somewhat certain I actually discovered/started watching before any part of it ever hit US shores ie: pre-1998)...in the summertime when I went travelling overseas there were always YYH reruns on a particular channel....

Anyhow...I'd say mainly these two shows got me into anime, [and actually drawing/art as well.]

Samurai Pizza Cats was my first "anime", though I didn't know it was at the time. Aside from the 4kids Pokémon, Sailor Moon, Dragonball Z that followed later on, I have to say that my first anime that really had got me hooked was Inuyasha (but more for the music, than for the series itself).

It was Haruhi Suzumiya that sealed the deal for me. XD

My first anime was Boondocks lol, then i really started trying to get into it more and found out there was this major debate between Naruto or bleach. I decide to watch both at the same time, and said screw it Bleach is more fun to watch. Later on i got into Death Note, and Angelic Layer having Soul Eater seal the deal on my love for it.

Sailor Moon! happy.png I watched it every day after school. And Pokemon.

It's kind of hazy to me because I just can't remember which one I saw first.

It could have been either of these: Speed Racer, Marine Boy, 8th Man, Astro Boy, Kimba-The White Lion, Gigantor (all these before 1970).

My first anime would probably have been Tenchi Muyo.

My first anime was Boondocks lol,

Robotech was the first fansubbed which I received by trading tapes on AOL's classifieds. First dub I ever saw was Record of Lodoss war. First dvd ever purchased of Serial Experiments Lain

It's between Starblazers and Battle of the Planets as my first viewing of anime, though I didn't realize it at that time.

My first animes before I knew it was different from cartoons were Sailor Moon and Samurai Pizza Cats. My first animes when I was getting into it were Fushigi Yuugi and Ranma 1/2. I still find myself reading and watching those series.

Speed Racer, Astro Boy, and Marine Boy when I was really young.

My first "real" anime was Ranma 1/2.

They did not have the original Japanese dialog, were dubbed, and edited for content. Ranma 1/2 was the first one I saw, where the only change was that sub-titles were added. That is why I put the "real" in quotes.

They did not have the original Japanese dialog, were dubbed, and edited for content. Ranma 1/2 was the first one I saw, where the only change was that sub-titles were added. That is why I put the "real" in quotes.

before i knew what anime was: probably speed racer or the lil' bits (it ran on nickolodeon around the time of david the gnome and maya the bee)

In high school, i was reading single issues of dragonball (not z) and i saw one ep of Z and was TOTALLY confused. it wasn't for a few more years later that i had a roomate get me up to speed :P Then she just showed me everything she had on vhs. mostly dbz and slayers.

the first title i sought out on my own was DNA2 from a toy store in the big city that happened to have some vhs fansubs laying around. i only got 2 eps tho :( ah, those were hte days...

Dragon Ball Z Baby!

I watched Voltron and Speed Racer when I was younger, but didn't really know it was anything other than those shows where the mouths never match up with the dialouge. Later, began watching anime in the mid-late 90s (and actually realizing what it was by then) on the Sci-Fi Channel's Animation Station ( I think that's what it was called, or Anime Saturdays, or something like that) which carried what many might consider modern classics, such as Robot Carnival, Roujin Z, Green Legend Ran, the original Vampire Hunter D, Project A-ko, 8-Man After, and others.

I caught a couple episodes of Sailor Moon when they ran it in the mornings on USA Network, and figured I'd take a stab at picking up something more related to my individual interests after being impressed with the fantastic characterization the show provided. So, I headed over to Suncoast and picked up Bio-Booster Armor Guyver Vol. 1, from Manga Entertainment (dubbed, of course) in 1997 or so (I remember the year just because it happened to be the summer I switched middle schools). I was hooked from then, regularly picking up issues of Animerica at one of the local comic shops, and begining my Otakon attendence with Otakon 1998, which continued on until 2010, when work and grad school began cutting into it a bit. Probably won't make it to 2012, either, but there's always 2013, the Mayans notwithstanding.

I'm actually going back and Netflix-ing alot of older shows that were "tops" when I first got into anime, but ones that I either missed or never finished. At the moment, on Escaflowne and Geo-Armor Kishin Corps, and purchasing (when I can find them) a few older shows, such as Mazinger Z.

Slayers TV (dubbed), thanks to a friend who had the old Software Sculptors videotapes. Thanks to a few independent and chain video rental stores (remember those?), I got to experience dozens of films and series over the next few years. It's been almost fifteen years since then...

I started (before I knew what anime was) with Voltron back in the 80's. I continued watching anime not knowing what it was up until I was introduced to a little series known as Full Metal Panic, and then it was hook, line and sinker from there.

1st before I knew what anime was: TransFormers (well, even though the series was an American production, the animated movie was from Toei, so it gets in on a technicality)

1st after learning what anime was: (movie) Project A-Ko / (TV Series) Ranma 1/2 [on Viz' "2 dubbed eps for $30" VHS tapes]

Oddly enough, the first time I saw Sailor Moon, it was a random DiC-dubbed episode, and I didn't like it at all (and it wasn't the 'quality' of the dub I didn't like, it was the show itself)... later on, I gave it a 2nd chance, and am glad I did, as it is now my 2nd favorite anime of all time (just behind Ranma, though the 2 are so close they might as well be tied for my #1).

My first anime was actually the subbed version of Death Note.

I found it by accident on a quiz website.

(I had absolute no idea what anime was. I was like 10 and had just gotten my first computer.)

Needless to say, I watched Death Note, fell in love with the characters, and realized that there was more anime out there. :]

And here I am now- going to cons, cosplaying, and president of the anime club at school.

I've come a long way, huh? Wouldn't change it for the world. :D

My first anime was Sailor Moon, and thanks to my sister I shortly after that watched my first hentai which was La Blue girl lol I was a 90's baby so you know what follows in that line Ruroni Kenshin Samurai X , X the show, Outlaw star, Tenchi Muyo, DBZ series Every toonami anime basically lol along with slayers and Samurai Pizza cats lol. I began my own adventure of anime when the internet came into play seriously staying up from 8:00Am to 5 :00 Am watching anime all day every day I've thanked my sister on many occasions lol kinda feel sorry for people that disregard and shun anime when they're missing out on something awesome in life.

Slayers TV (dubbed), thanks to a friend who had the old Software Sculptors videotapes. Thanks to a few independent and chain video rental stores (remember those?), I got to experience dozens of films and series over the next few years. It's been almost fifteen years since then...

I honestly can't remember my first anime, but some of the first ones I watched were Neon Genesis Evangelion, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Digimon.

My very first anime was Sailor Moon, I believe I was 7 years old when I got into it. After that one I got into Samurai Troopers, Tenchi, and DBZ.

I posted this same question in the wrong section. I feel kinda stupid right now. My first anime was probably Project A-ko, but the first anime that I knew was anime and made me want more was Sailor Moon.

Like I said in the other thread- Sailor Moon. I had a friend in 8th grade who was obsessed wirh it and tried to get me to watch. I thought 'Japanamation' was stupid at the time and kinda blew her off. I moved states mid 10th grade and happened to catch an episode on our local Fox station. Sure nuff I got hooked. Too bad my friend and I parted ways long ago. She'd find it hilarous to see me at an anime convention.

Fruits Basket (yeah, I'm a recent convertee to the world of anime.) I was obsessed with the manga back in 8th grade and my friend said "There's a show of it!" I went to work with my dad later that week and remember watching it on one of the computers at his office. I was hooked from that moment.

I was 5 when I got into anime my parents bought me anime toys before I actually watched a series and we always wondered what the toys were based from. It was when I went to kindergarten I brought my toy to school and a girl told me it was from sailor moon then I finally saw the show on tv, thats what really got me into it I watched what aired in america and when shows got canceled my parents ordered tapes(Lol vhs...I feel old) many had to be ordered from japan because they didnt sell them here(silly us thought they would be in english lol no subtitles either). My older cousins and brother watched alot of anime too so eventually I just joined them, but they grew out of it Im the only one that didnt grow up I guess X( Anime lover til I die! This would be my first year going to otakon.

well i as most people my age started with pokemon and dragon ball z ... which lead to yu-gi-oh however it was not till i was 16 and i found the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya ... from there i have now been an otaku

Mine is definately Inuyasha xD

I wasn't into it at first, but my friends in elementary school all bugged me to watch it, so during one of the season 1 reruns, I watched it and got addicted in 1 episode!

I was so into it I went to my friend's house and watched all her tapes (YES WHEN WE STILL USED VCRS) of the Season recordings non stop! :)

...Then somewhere along the way I just fell down the hole (probably from too much googling hahaha) and ended up here D:

before i knew what it was it was speed racer and voltron.

once i had an idea what "japanimation" was it was robotech hardcore, then sailormoon and iria around the same time, then ninja scroll and then it exploded and i went after anythign i could get my hands on. oh the vhs tape trading days

I don't remember.

Speed Racer, and Sailor Moon was came around my time in the mid-almost late of 1990's back from my day. Yup. Is like those days.

Believe it or not but the Barefoot Gen film was my first anime-anything that I ever saw, I was at age 5-ish. I did watch DBZ, Pokemon and some other stuff as a kid but I know for for a fact that I saw Barefoot Gen on VHS before I saw anything else.

If my memory serves me right, it was either Pokemon, Sailor Moon, or Dragon Ball Z. I'm going by Sailor Moon, since I remember seeing that Dragon Ball Z, though I remember all three were out in the States on TV around the same time.

I don't remember.

Speed Racer, and Sailor Moon was came around my time in the mid-almost late of 1990's back from my day. Yup. Is like those days.

Waves cane! (uses old man voice)

Whippersnappers get off my lawn

Back in my day There was Voltron and Thunder Cats, Macros, Robotech and Gundam wings And All the other Bandai Toy/TV show cross overs. (we are talking early mid 80s) I remember when there were only 3 channels on regular tv 4 if you had a local independent station and 5 if you had a Fox station. we didnt have remote controls for our tvs you had to get up and press the buttons if you wanted to change the channel.

VCR! LUXURY!

Back in my day you actualy had to be at home to watch TV when you wanted IF YOU WERE LUCKY IT WAS IN COLOR! (We didnt get a VRC till 1990 and only in the family room. My 1st TV was black and white TV that my folks bought at a thrift store in the mid 80s it was 20 years old even then)

My first anime was probably watching the bad dub of Sailor Moon early in the mornings before elementary school. But, my first true anime, the gateway drug anime that actually got me involved in the wider fandom, was Tenchi Muyo! Toonami in general is what helped me to become an anime fan.

Ok, to be earnest my first anime I ever watched... drum roll please! Vampire Hunter D. tumblr_lzxpubIMPG1r5jtugo1_500.gif