Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YangWenli

Anime Fans in the 80s

Hey all,

Among other things, I'm collecting info about the history of anime fandom in America, and I found some images in an early anime periodical that I thought were great - really encapsulated some icons of popular media in the 80s, alongside the growing anime-fan community.

It's a fan-art page from the second issue (early 1987) of Anime-Zine, a short-lived anime magazine (predating Animerica by about 6 years, or so) that, in my mind, I'm not sure whether or not to call a semi-fanzine or a prozine; it is very professionally put together, and it featured advertising space for purchase, which is something you don't often see in fanzines. However, it still has that fanzine "feel" that makes it a far more interesting read than a professional mag.

http://i1229.photobu...mezine21987.jpg

Kodai, from Space Battleship Yamato (Starblazers) conversing with Mrs. Brisby from The Secret of Nimh; and Eve from Megazone 23 sharing a moment with Max Headroom - you can't get much more 80's than that!

-Nathan

That's an awesome find Yang. Where did you find it? I love looking at stuff like this as well.

Around 1987, I was enjoying Pitfall on the 2600 (probably because Atari games were dirt cheap at the time), a few age-appropriate fantasy novels, and baseball. I was too young at the time to delve into unfamiliar fandoms. So I missed out on things such as the tape-trading scene.

Vetes - I've just been compiling old fanzines and magazines from anime fandom's past, in the hopes of some point putting together a history of it, and, as far as issues of Anime-Zine go, I have to say, as unacademic as it sounds, eBay has been a great resource. I'm actually surprised how much alot of the older zines, from the 70s and early 80s, are going for on there - I didn't realize it was such a market, in and of itself.

dorkatlarge - (great name, by the way, haha) The tape-trading days went on for a good while though - I was playing Pitfall on the 2600 around the same time as well (still a few years til I got my first Nintendo) - but even into the 90s, the tape-trading was going on. I remember being at my earlier Otakons, and meeting people who traded tapes, although, admittedly, most of my VHS fansubs were the purple Kodocha tapes, which I aquired through their website. So, I had their website and the many Geocities "Anime Ring" websites found on the Anipike to provide information before I sent out my money order and SASE - not quite as tough as it was in the earlier days of the fandom, but still nostalgic to me, nonetheless!

I wish I had a copy of my Mid term paper for Asian Art 290 at University of MD College Park. 20 some odd Pages single spaced.

It basicaly covered the entire HISTORY of Animation in Japan focusing on Anime. I STRC I got an A on it.