Otakon 2012 AMV Contest Feedback (I'm in ur forumz, valueing ur opinionz)

There were some really great standouts, and too much Madoka. Over all I stayed for the entire thing and was pretty impressed.

The issue with Madoka is it was this year's hot show, and each video on its own was stellar. It would have been unfair to dump high scoring videos just because someone else used the same show. We did joke about making a Madoka category.

The strongest categories for me and my brother when we talked about it were Drama/Serious and Romance/Sentimental. Action was also very strong. Comedy was enjoyed by everyone, but fell a little flat for me. Sometimes I think I miss the jokes. The weakest category in my opinion was Upbeat Action. The two videos chosen as runner up and winner were the only two I really felt belonged in the category (and both were outstanding). I loved the AMV contest again this year, as I do every year. This was my first year going to Iron Editor. It was awesome, I will definitely make time for it next year.

My only problem with the whole contest was it was too hard to pick a winner from so many choices.

I personally am disappointed that In Terminis didn't win the Drama/Serious category as it was my favorite video by far, but that was probably because the video was so tear-jerkingly depressing.

With that said, I also feel that Ballad of a Dog probably fit better under the action category rather than Drama/Serious. It was an excellent video, but I just felt it was in the wrong category.

(Note: I just saw the winners at the Closing Ceremonies and then looked up more at home. I wasn't at the actual contest.)

I'm really glad that the AMV that won Editor's pic, well, won Editor's pick. I think it really should have been submitted to Drama, where it could have won...

Best in Show definitely deserved it. Deathnote+My Little Pony? Hysterical!

Someone I know has complained a few times about videos in the "Drama" category going for laughs. They feel that the one with the laughs over-shadows the ones that went for straight drama, and usually wins the category.

Side story: I forget which Otakon it was, but there was a video made with clips from Grave of the Fireflies to the song Love Will Keep Us Alive by the Eagles. Needless to say, when the video was over, there was nary a dry eye in the house, because it was so sad.(extremely well made too) Then out of the stunned slience someone yells "THE NEXT VIDEO BETTER BE F&CKING HILARIOUS!" and the whole place erupted in laughter. Don't think I will ever forget that one.