Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

red_gear

The Locals. Best and Worst Reactions

red_gear    0

We all know how every local person who live and work where a con is held is going to have a different reaction, especially when they see Angemon walking down the street. I was to hear about the best and work reactions you've had to your cosplays by non-Otakon goers. Basically, anyone outside the convention who had something they wanted to say about your Power Ranger Morpher, your Ocarina of Time, and just overall, your cosplay outfit.

Ikano    9

I had some little kids [heading to the Orioles game] staring at the plushie (it's technically my 'chibification' of a dragonhorse) on my head as I walked pass them on my way back to my hotel to switch out.

(the expression looked partly like a "Do you know there's somthing on your head?!" and partly like a "What is that!?" look) laugh.png

One of my Cosplays is Flo the Progressive Auto Insurance Girl and Non-con-goers love her just as much as the con-goers... but it is funny because many of the locals think that I work for a Progressive office and I am paid to dress up as Flo and I have even had someone ask me questions about their policy, and when I told them I didnt work for progressive and it was just a costume... they were all like "waaaaaaaaa?" biggrin.png

joecrouse    0

Walking around looking for inspiration for my dinne plans on friday the little kids (and quite a few parents) were like OMG ITS MARIO! and WHERES LUIGI AND OMG CAN I GET YOUR PICTURE!

Chamelion    0

One of my Cosplays is Flo the Progressive Auto Insurance Girl and Non-con-goers love her just as much as the con-goers... but it is funny because many of the locals think that I work for a Progressive office and I am paid to dress up as Flo and I have even had someone ask me questions about their policy, and when I told them I didnt work for progressive and it was just a costume... they were all like "waaaaaaaaa?" biggrin.png

Schtanza    0

I had an entire group of locals yell "FOR DEMACIA!" at me and ask me to do some pictures. Was pretty awesome.

On Saturday, around 2:30, my mom and I left the convention to go eat lunch at Johnny Rocket's. There were a lot of kids my age there (I'm 14), and a group of a few guys actually came up to me and asked me "What are you wearing?" and "Why is everyone dressed up?". I found it really funny. ><

red_gear    0

On Saturday, around 2:30, my mom and I left the convention to go eat lunch at Johnny Rocket's. There were a lot of kids my age there (I'm 14), and a group of a few guys actually came up to me and asked me "What are you wearing?" and "Why is everyone dressed up?". I found it really funny. ><

Ho-ohLover    0

I had a bad experience.

It was on Thursday and I was dressed up as a Mountain Lion Neko. After my boyfriend and I had picked up our badges we went to grab a bite of pizza in that small little shoppe complex where the buffet was. Now I'm part Uruguayan (small southern South American country) so I speak spanish almost fluently. After we gotten our food and sat down, all the workers started whispering kinda loudly:

"¡Mira! ¡Mira! ¡Mira la Gringa! (derogatory word for white girl) ¡Es como un gato! Look! Look! Look at the white girl dressed up like a cat.

And they were calling the other employees to look and were generally making rude comments. Well when my boyfriend and I finished I went up to counter and said with a big ole grin on me face:

"¡Hola qué tal! ¿Donde esta el baño? Y yo no 'stoy un gringa, yo 'stoy Uruguyo (pronounced euro-guwai-zsh-O) y me hablo español tambien." Hello how are you? Where is the bathroom. And I'm not a 'white girl' I'm Uruguayan, and I speak spanish too.

His face just dropped like it was D-8 at the realization that I spoke spanish too (and hopefully that I'm not 'un gringa' too)

Well I'm not going there next year

Elisto    2

Nothing this year, but two years ago I had a random guy outside ask to take my picture (he was nice about it, so I let him), and last year one of the security guards from the BCC asked for a picture too (I was cosplaying Mecha Sonic)...typically though, I try not to go outside in my cosplay.

YuriRuler90    0

While passing by a small bar right down the street from the Arena I happened to see a gent dressed as a Khorne Berserker.

Someone random in the outside seating screamed "GLORY TO KHORNE." It made me smile.

BLX    0

My mom was waitng for the bus downtown. She loved looking at the cosplayers. She was not happy when a pair of cosplayers carrying flag poles with flags kept turning around and almost poking her in the eye like, 4 times.

youth    1

Saw some young asian guy who was obviously there for the football game (wearing that red jersey they all wore) & I asked him about it. The conversation then turned to Otakon after he saw my badge & what it was about. He took a pic of my badge to remember so Otakon may have a new attendee next year.

One of the appeals of Otakon to me is it's central downtown location to where all the normal ppl are & seeing & hearing their reactions to all this even if some of it is negative.

youjik33    0

I heard a few people in the Inner Harbor chatting about how "that convention" was back. They seemed pleased about it and clearly liked checking out the costumes.

red_gear    0

I stayed at the Renaissance Hotel, and a few people asked me what it was about (they saw my name tag and weren't embarrassed because I was dressed normally). They had two kids, and their son was all, "COOL!" because he loved video games so much. I love open minded people. I did hear some ugly woman talking to a few others near the hotel about, "Those freak people are everywhere, the ones from that comic thing."

A guy in cosplay was next to me and said, "This weekend, this is our town." That made me giggle :)biggrin.png

luisi    0

alright best

......humped by a girl that i believe works at hooters in front of ice cold water guy.

also approached by an "professional dancer" on the street who gave me free passes to her club and business cards and said she would love to be rose next year (she stoped going to otakon due to lack of old school as she put it)

people love legend of dragoon

worst

my friends left me behind cuz people kept asking for pic on the street then eventual followed by a homeless man who got behind me and called me a bitch faggot over 10 times trying to start a fight or something. i was having way to good of a weekend to acknowledge negativity

I got a "What's going on? A sci fi con?," a "YOU'RE ALL CRAZY!," and a "Konnichi wa" (at 5pm.) Kids seems to like my giant Kagamine Rin bow except for one little girl who looked like I was something out of her scariest nightmare though.

Taylor    0

My group and I got negative responses from the locals. Most of us sarcastically asked "who are you supposed to be, yo?" and "what cartoon is that from?" It was our fault because we went to the lexington market area to grab booze.

A group of BCPD asked us for a photo with them :D

Eddie 2    11

I had a bad experience.

It was on Thursday and I was dressed up as a Mountain Lion Neko. After my boyfriend and I had picked up our badges we went to grab a bite of pizza in that small little shoppe complex where the buffet was. Now I'm part Uruguayan (small southern South American country) so I speak spanish almost fluently. After we gotten our food and sat down, all the workers started whispering kinda loudly:

"&iexcl;Mira! &iexcl;Mira! &iexcl;Mira la Gringa! (derogatory word for white girl) &iexcl;Es como un gato! Look! Look! Look at the white girl dressed up like a cat.

And they were calling the other employees to look and were generally making rude comments. Well when my boyfriend and I finished I went up to counter and said with a big ole grin on me face:

"&iexcl;Hola qu&eacute; tal! &iquest;Donde esta el ba&ntilde;o? Y yo no 'stoy un gringa, yo 'stoy Uruguyo (pronounced euro-guwai-zsh-O) y me hablo espa&ntilde;ol tambien." Hello how are you? Where is the bathroom. And I'm not a 'white girl' I'm Uruguayan, and I speak spanish too.

His face just dropped like it was D-8 at the realization that I spoke spanish too (and hopefully that I'm not 'un gringa' too)

Well I'm not going there next year

I think the panhandlers have the craziest reactions to us. This one guy was asking for money and hoards of cosplayers were walking by and shaking their heads. He then yelled out, "F@#& this cartoon conference!"

last year this guy was walking up the sidewalk, shaking his can for money. for some reason he got really close to me so I yelled "get out of my face!" and he yelled back "You get out of MY face!"

chupa    0

My friends and I were on the elevator at our hotel and I was still in my Dothraki Daenerys costume. When the elevator doors opened there was an older gentleman with his family (very obviously not there for the convention), and when he saw me his face immediately lit up and he said, "Now THAT'S my kind of outfit!" His entire family burst out laughing and so did my friends and I.

Yukito    0

I have one that I think everyone can enjoy.

Well..... I was crossplaying as Cardcaptor Sakura Saturday night. Got out of the masquerade, and headed back to the center. When there, a lady who wasn't in the convention walked up to me, and asked if I was a guy. I said yes, and she wanted my picture. As I was posing, she said "Say 'I'm a naughty boy'"..... My God, my friends and I lost it.... I didn't even know how to respond to that. Makes me think she has a turnon for crossdressers or something. ._.;

KSweeley    44

The best local reaction I got was on Thursday afternoon, I went to the new Royal Farms at Light & Lombard Streets wearing my Otakon staff shirt and my Otakon staff badge and my nifty, brand new Otakon staff lanyard that all staff received this year to make us more visible in a large crowd and purchased 2 Gatorades for $3 which was a promo deal they had and I assumed Royal Farms management hadn't heard of Otakon yet because 1.) the Royal Farms was a new establishment for the downtown area and 2. the cashier who was ringing up my order pointed to my badge and asked "What's Otakon?" I said "It's an annual Japanese and East Asian culture convention that begins tomorrow and ends on Sunday, it comes to Baltimore every summer." and the cashier asked "Will it bring a lot of money to us?" I said "Most likely yes, we bring in over 25,000 people guaranteed attendance each year to the Baltimore Convention Center, this Royal Farms is open 24 hours, correct?" and the cashier said "Yes." and I said "Well, seeing that this Royal Farms is a 24 hour convenience store within very close proximity to the Baltimore Convention Center and Otakon attendees generally bring spending money, it's very likely that you will be very busy this weekend." and the cashier said "Thank you." and I left.

It will be interesting to see just how much business that Royal Farms made during Otakon weekend this year, I'm sure it would be a lot of money since Light and Lombard is very close to the Baltimore Convention Center.

It will be interesting to see just how much business that Royal Farms made during Otakon weekend this year, I'm sure it would be a lot of money since Light and Lombard is very close to the Baltimore Convention Center.

I saw you~ you came out of a panel and I was like.. damn, I should have spoke up and gotten your picture.

Very nice cosplay!

-C

onsenmark    80

The best local reaction I got was on Thursday afternoon, I went to the new Royal Farms at Light & Lombard Streets wearing my Otakon staff shirt and my Otakon staff badge and my nifty, brand new Otakon staff lanyard that all staff received this year to make us more visible in a large crowd and purchased 2 Gatorades for $3 which was a promo deal they had and I assumed Royal Farms management hadn't heard of Otakon yet because 1.) the Royal Farms was a new establishment for the downtown area and 2. the cashier who was ringing up my order pointed to my badge and asked "What's Otakon?" I said "It's an annual Japanese and East Asian culture convention that begins tomorrow and ends on Sunday, it comes to Baltimore every summer." and the cashier asked "Will it bring a lot of money to us?" I said "Most likely yes, we bring in over 25,000 people guaranteed attendance each year to the Baltimore Convention Center, this Royal Farms is open 24 hours, correct?" and the cashier said "Yes." and I said "Well, seeing that this Royal Farms is a 24 hour convenience store within very close proximity to the Baltimore Convention Center and Otakon attendees generally bring spending money, it's very likely that you will be very busy this weekend." and the cashier said "Thank you." and I left.

Scorpion89    0

For me the highlight was when I was running the Sat Night Star War shoot down at the Inner Harbor Fountain, we were almost done and we had been trying for 5 years to have a large gathering shoot on the Water Falls their was a bunch of Bmore Police in the square watching us so I went over to make sure it was ok the Sargent I talk to was yea go for it then I explained that after we were going to have a fight scene with both sides he said great let me get folks out of the way for you.

Well we had the big group shoot heard may folks both Con and Normals saying how cool this was when it came to the fight scene the cops kept everyone at bay while we did the shoot. After I had many Non-Con goers come up and said that we had made their night. I went over and spoke withe Sargent to thank him and he said that I didn't need to thank him and that it's real fun for them to watch all of the different shoots that go on and marvel at the craftsmainship of all of us Cosplayer.

alabaster    0

99% of the time, people are just curious -- and the BCPD are pretty used to us now. It's great to hear that they were willing to run a bit of interference for you and that you sought their permission/assistance was DEFINITELY the right thing to do. Get 'em on your side by treating them like allies and keeping them in the loop, and you'll notice a difference in how they react. :)

karari    0

@Scorpion89 That's awesome. I wish I was there to see that.

As for my story: I was on the light rail when there were about 5 guys in their twenties. Two of them had war paint, one had some elaborate hat in addition. That guy saw a cosplayer group, turned to his friends and said "what weirdos, I stopped watching cartoons when I was twelve".

/irony

Micalas    0

Bad Reactions:

1. A lot of us passed that crazy old black dude in the wheelchair between the 2 front entrances. Telling everyone that we were all having sex with the devil. Hellfire awaits, ladies and gentlemen! There was a guy in Hooters last year cosplaying as Jesus. I wish he were there!

2. Sitting at the bar in the Hilton there were a couple Scottish dudes that came for the international soccer game. They were complaining to the bartender about all of the "freaks." After their ranting, the bartender told them how much she loved transformers and would love to go to Otakon. Then she pointed at my friend and I and said, "These gentlemen are actually attending the conference you were just talking about." He responded with, "Well they aren't freaks in costumes!" To which I replied, "No, but we WERE in costume. Did you know these freaks brough ober $20 million dollars to the city last year?" He just said, "I-I ain't knockin' in." and then walked away.

(GOOD REACTION)After the bartender told us what an --------- she thought that guy was I gave her a $10 tip.

Mandolin    0

For me the highlight was when I was running the Sat Night Star War shoot down at the Inner Harbor Fountain, we were almost done and we had been trying for 5 years to have a large gathering shoot on the Water Falls their was a bunch of Bmore Police in the square watching us so I went over to make sure it was ok the Sargent I talk to was yea go for it then I explained that after we were going to have a fight scene with both sides he said great let me get folks out of the way for you.

Well we had the big group shoot heard may folks both Con and Normals saying how cool this was when it came to the fight scene the cops kept everyone at bay while we did the shoot. After I had many Non-Con goers come up and said that we had made their night. I went over and spoke withe Sargent to thank him and he said that I didn't need to thank him and that it's real fun for them to watch all of the different shoots that go on and marvel at the craftsmainship of all of us Cosplayer.

Alaris-kun    0

Hmm, well, I had two irritating experiences, both from Orioles fans from the stadium.

On Friday night, several fans ran by the Convention Center as people waited outside, shouting some insults to us, etc etc. Meh, I'm used to people being idiots, so I brushed it off.

Then, on Saturday Night, we were at the bus stop, and I heard a man and a woman discussing all the people in costume. The guy asked what was going on, and she said "Some stupid nerd sh*t."

Yeah...

>.>

That really endears you...

alabaster    0

So this Sunday evening, after the con was mostly torn down, we got as many staffers as possible together for a group photo, after which we walked to the secret location of our staff dinner.

Imagine, if you will, the photo shoot that ensued as several HUNDRED staffers, most still clad in black Otakon Staff shirts, descended on the big ol' Harborplace fountain area and literally occupied the entire thing. Many of our guests joined us.

And then imagine the entire 500-600 person throng, en masse, walking through the harbor over to the Aquarium.

It was, I admit, kind of awesome....and daunting to realize that at least 25-50 people didn't make it to the photo shoot!

I actually live literally 15 minutes or so from the BCC, so I know a bit about what locals think...

I've walked around the neighborhood in my cosplay sometimes, and talk about Otakon with non-otakus in my town. What a lot of people tell me is that they're mesmerized when they drive downtown and see all the people in costume.

My friends and I took the lightrail into town on Friday, and there were a few "civilians" on the train with a LOT of cosplayers. They didn't really understand what was going on, but they didn't really seem to mind.

The worst reactions I get come after the convention, when I'm back at school and I'm wearing my cosplay or pass or talking about Otakon for whatever reason. Most of them really do not like it and find anime really strange. I get strange looks from people all the time. The worst comment I got on otakudom in general was when this guy said "just go and read your Asian magazines."

shadowspawn    14

Wasn't this year, maybe a couple of years ago...

Walking back to the Hyatt from the BCC, in the open plaza, my group of two (in cosplay) were stopped by a fellow in a business suit who I think was there for a Podiatrists conference or some such thing that was going on in the Hyatt at the same time.

His eyes were wide, and he said "What's going on around here", and we explained, and he said "Can I take pictures of you guys, my family is NEVER going to BELIEVE this!"

So, he took a couple of pictures, and just then, someone dressed in full Samurai armor and weapons walked by.

He whipped around, said "Oh my God!" and chased off after the Samurai with his camera.

AnniBanana    0

While walking to the First Mariner Arena for rehearsal, we had this man stop us and he pointed to our Apple Jack cosplayer, and asked "So, are you from dem Hill Billy Brothers?"

windseeker    20

Three cons ago (I think) I was walking down the street back to my hotel one evening when a limousine stopped at a red light and the occupants rolled down the window and proceeded to ask me questions (by that I mean yelled the questions at me from the middle of the street) about the con (what is it, how much the entry fee was, what my cosplay was, etc). Then the light changed, they yelled "WOOOOOHHH!" and drove off.

Me: uh wtf?

ciroth    3

So this Sunday evening, after the con was mostly torn down, we got as many staffers as possible together for a group photo, after which we walked to the secret location of our staff dinner.

Imagine, if you will, the photo shoot that ensued as several HUNDRED staffers, most still clad in black Otakon Staff shirts, descended on the big ol' Harborplace fountain area and literally occupied the entire thing. Many of our guests joined us.

And then imagine the entire 500-600 person throng, en masse, walking through the harbor over to the Aquarium.

It was, I admit, kind of awesome....and daunting to realize that at least 25-50 people didn't make it to the photo shoot!

Just had to =D

Your secret location has been revealed!

But on topic, had some neutral reactions of people curious and asking what was going on and why there was more than the usual amount of young people in the inner harbour.

Worst reaction I have seen would have been some jeering from the local drunk baseball fans... but that was pretty mild in comparison to what some others have mentioned here.

Tigress    5

A lady staying at my hotel fangirled over my "normal" Sarah Williams (Labyrinth) costume and was even more impressed when I told her I made it.

There were the usual reaction from the kids when I wore both my "princess" costumes: Sarah's ballgown and Princess Allura's dress.

One of the Orioles fans felt really bad when for mistaking my Allura costume as Rapunzel. When I said "close", he asked what the costume was and I asked him if he'd ever seen Voltron. His expression was a mixture of excitement and embarrassment.

And while doing Pinkie Pie, I got about 5 picture requests from locals, including one jumping up and down and saying "picture! picture!"

Other then one or two small crowds of punky looking teens trash talking and calling us weirdos, to which I pretty much told to 'bite me' I had an overall good experience for my first Otakon.

Probably the most interesting was explaining to a pair of Polish ladies at Subway on Saturday afternoon what was going on. I had to explain to the one lady who knew some some English who then explained to her other friend in rapid fire Polish. They wanted my picture after that, and also where fascinated with my Ed ball jointed doll, which led to another brief explanation translated from English to Polish....XD

I wrote this on my blog last night, but I'll share it here. Awesome story from Friday morning.

I was talking with a non-otaku family of 3 vacationing from Illinois while on the light rail heading toward the BCC. The son, about 5 years old, was asking questions about Otakon and what everyone was dressing up as. At one point, he asked if anyone cosplays as Indiana Jones. I said I had never seen it, and my friends Robert & Francis said they only ever saw it once long before we met. Minutes later, we all get off the light rail and pass by the front of the BCC, and as luck would have it, there standing in the registration is a middle-aged man dressed as Indiana Jones! The kid was really happy to see that, and the parents were happy, too.

It’s awesome when you can make someone’s day like that.

TwinKoi    0

Good:

On Saturday afternoon, my girlfriend and I were walking back to our hotel to change out of our Pit and Marth cosplays, when a woman and her husband stopped us. She was all excited, explaining that her daughter loves anime and she wanted to get a picture with us to show her daughter back home. She was totally sweet!

We got stopped a lot all weekend by locals, just asking what was going on and why we were dressed up. Everyone was usually really polite and just curious.

Our waitress at Hooters on Friday was also really nice and curious about the convention, saying that she loved seeing the different cosplays every year.

Semi-Bad/Mostly amusing:

Friday night, we had a Left 4 Dead photoshoot by the outside fountains, which of course attracted a huge amount of attention from the locals, seeing as we were running around all bloody, with weapons, chasing zombies. Unfortunately, some locals decided to stand behind everyone getting their picture taken. I'm not saying in the background, but like, in the group with the cosplayers. So we had some photobombers. But it wasn't so bad after watching a Witch cosplayer chase around some kids. =w=

alabaster    0

Just had to =D

Your secret location has been revealed!

It was only this year that we used the aquarium. One year we took over Hard Rock.

Lycrisa    0

OMG

Last year I was walking with my friend who was dressed as mega man. All of a Sudden one of the thuggier looking locals screams at the top of his lungs "WHAT THE F_CK"

I whip around (because I'm local myself and know it's usually not a good sign when they do that, I was scared out of my mind.)

He goes. "WTF MEGAMAN? FO" REAL?" then he was all smiles and giggles and made us stop for pictures. I was so relieved xD

But it's baltimore. If you stray too far from the inner harbor and make it out without being robbed, consider it a good day.

And seriously guys, don't buy the red felt hats, you are sending out a beacon "I AM A TOURIST> ROB ME."

And the pan handlers are most likly mentally ill so don't worry about it too hard.

The only negativity I get is from my mom. I ask her to drive us and she uses it as a reason to go "freak watching" with her friends xD

Yeha that's pretty...oh wait! I build my sister's cosplay this year and she made it onto the news. Both locals and con-goers were shouting cyndaquil as we walked by xD.

Had a couple of bad ones.

I was waiting for the elevator to come down to the lobby. And there was a group of people in front of it, all from the ball game. And one of them is holding up their camera phone, so the door binged and two cosplayers come out. The man holding the camera phone says 'We see you' and takes their photo, surprising them. I thought it was rude but I held my tongue, and waited for them to get in the elevator and go away. But, I watched them leave the hotel and go a different direction.

And second, I was at the Star Wars shoot taking photos for my friends who were in the shoot, the main photographer asked us to move back a little, in which we did. But there was this one older gentleman, who kept making snide comment throughout the shoot, and was standing right behind me. As I'm trying to carefully move my stuff, and my friends' stuff, he would not move and chose to stand closer to the Star Wars guys, even though I said 'Excuse me' (in which he responded 'Get out of the way')

red_gear    0

OMG

Last year I was walking with my friend who was dressed as mega man. All of a Sudden one of the thuggier looking locals screams at the top of his lungs "WHAT THE F_CK"

I whip around (because I'm local myself and know it's usually not a good sign when they do that, I was scared out of my mind.)

He goes. "WTF MEGAMAN? FO" REAL?" then he was all smiles and giggles and made us stop for pictures. I was so relieved xD

But it's baltimore. If you stray too far from the inner harbor and make it out without being robbed, consider it a good day.

And seriously guys, don't buy the red felt hats, you are sending out a beacon "I AM A TOURIST> ROB ME."

And the pan handlers are most likly mentally ill so don't worry about it too hard.

The only negativity I get is from my mom. I ask her to drive us and she uses it as a reason to go "freak watching" with her friends xD

Yeha that's pretty...oh wait! I build my sister's cosplay this year and she made it onto the news. Both locals and con-goers were shouting cyndaquil as we walked by xD.

KyoKyo    14

Saber-chan    0

On Sunday, my friend and I were checking out of the Days Inn. A family stopped us as we were finishing (we weren't in cosplay) and asked us what was going on "across the street". They had a son with them, probably 7-8ish years old. We told them it was a convention and explained there were different people in costumes, and that there were even super hero ones their son might like to see. About ten minutes later, we catch them crossing the street to check things out. It was adorable.

Good;

I had some photoshoots at the royal sonesta and the employees were super nice xD

they commented the cosplayers on their costumes and even brought more ppl to see the costumes . Probably one of the best reactions towards cosplay ~

Bad;

waiting for the crosswalk, and all of a sudden a car passes by and says " YOU ALL LOOK LIKE RETARDS " OTL