Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Makaimi

Where does one find clips to make a video?

I usually download my footage from YouTube, but that's not really good concerning quality issues. After viewing Iron Editor for the first time this year, it has motivated me to start making AMVs again. However, I do not know where to find decent quality clips. Where do you find your footage to make your videos?

On a side note, how does one enter Iron Editor, or become a competitor in the contest? I have ways to go before I become a good enough editor, but I vow to make my videos well-known and finally place in the contest.

I'm with The Tsunami. I know simply downloading it for free can be tempting because it's so easy, but you will never get top notch quality from a download.

Something to consider is "Garbage in, garbage out". If you're serious about what you're doing, the worst thing you can do is begin with lousy source. You should strive to get the best possible source available to you. If you're going to put 50-100 hours into a video, drop some money on the DVD or BD, and if necessary, get the Japanese edition, which is likely to have higher quality than the domestic version. I figure if you care about a show enough to put time into an AMV, then you probably want a copy of it for your collection.

Something to consider is "Garbage in, garbage out". If you're serious about what you're doing, the worst thing you can do is begin with lousy source. You should strive to get the best possible source available to you. If you're going to put 50-100 hours into a video, drop some money on the DVD or BD, and if necessary, get the Japanese edition, which is likely to have higher quality than the domestic version. I figure if you care about a show enough to put time into an AMV, then you probably want a copy of it for your collection.

But don't people download torrents (well, from what I've heard)? I do own anime DVD's, but none i'd like to make an AMV with.

Well yes, some people download videos or ISOs of the discs to use as source, but that's illegal. The way I look at it, unless you get permission from the music artist and the distributor/production studio that made the anime (which is never the case), you're already violating the DMCA. But the least you can do to make it a bit more kosher, and akin to fair use, is to purchase a legit copy of the song and anime you're going to use. And that way, you're going to get a better quality input than from some video in a torrent which might be heavily compressed or have hard subtitles or other technical issues that could affect the quality of your video.

i believe in the case of an AMV using a song or a video you dont have permission to use from the band or publisher i believe its not illegal as long as your not making money off of it and you can actually claim a creative commons law but i think the band/publisher also reserves the right to take your video down if you put it somewhere like youtube but dont quote me on this

i believe in the case of an AMV using a song or a video you dont have permission to use from the band or publisher i believe its not illegal as long as your not making money off of it and you can actually claim a creative commons law but i think the band/publisher also reserves the right to take your video down if you put it somewhere like youtube but dont quote me on this

This is false. It is absolutely illegal to make and distribute an AMV. It would be illegal to put on AMVs.org, YouTube, or to screen at a convention. You do not have any fair use or creative commons rights to an AMV you create. Fair use applies to portions of works for review, criticism, or analysis. If you were to make a review of an anime as a video, and you used various short clips to review or analyze, that would be fair use. If you used a song for a film project in school, that would be fair use. But to take a song, and an anime and make a music video for entertainment purposes, that is by definition illegal. If you're interested in creating AMVs or other, similar derivative works, Lawrence Lessig, a well-known academic, activist, and professor of law at Harvard, gave an excellent talk at TED in 2007 where he discussed fair use and how copyright stifles creativity. One of the examples he gives (9 minutes in) is anime music videos: