Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huntress

Passkey 2013 question...

Huntress    1

I was just wondering, will there be some kind of announcement before Passkey opens up or will the link to it just magically appear one day on the website?

I was trying to remember what happened with it last year...I don't recall there being any advanced notice prior to the site going live...

Sorry to bother and thanks in advance.

mreynolds    0

I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll be slightly vague. The people active on the BBS tend to find the link faster than people who wait for it to appear on the website.

Fadamor    45

Yeah, I heard that people started using it before all the hotels had been entered. Some people trying to be "first" ended up not seeing all the options available. Otakon Staff is going to try and do a better job this year of keeping the Passkey Otakon site offline until it's really ready.

Aux10    4

Didn't it get slipped early on cosplay.com's forums, or some place like that, last year, and there was some... discontentment?

Yep. People were crying out loud and whining about how life wasn't fair. It was quite the scandal complete with it's own entourage of flamewars and name calling.

Litwolf    0

I remember last year some people were saying it was so unfair that those reservations made from the leaked link should be canceled and those people have to order their rooms again with the rest of the crowd.

I personally never saw what the big deal was. The weeks following Otakon, I keep my eyes open everywhere online so that I can snag a good room for my group as quickly as possible. When I saw the link, I jumped on and got a room with no trouble. I didn't feel like I had cheated to obtain the room. I don't even see how a link can be leaked early. Once it's on the Net, anyone can go find it. There was nothing to stop those who complained about the leak from finding it.

Eddie 2    11

Yes last year was really intense with the Passkey leak, but I still managed to get my room in the hotel I wanted even though I wasn’t one of the first groups of people to find out about it. I just got lucky, frankly.

Fadamor    45
I personally never saw what the big deal was. The weeks following Otakon, I keep my eyes open everywhere online so that I can snag a good room for my group as quickly as possible. When I saw the link, I jumped on and got a room with no trouble. I didn't feel like I had cheated to obtain the room. I don't even see how a link can be leaked early. Once it's on the Net, anyone can go find it. There was nothing to stop those who complained about the leak from finding it.

double post

Ahh! The tried and true "Sucks to be slow!" response. You want to know how a link can be leaked early? It happens when someone slams the Passkey site every 10 seconds looking for an Otakon page, then manages to catch it one time when they brought it up for testing something before shutting it back down. But THAT'S not the leak. The leak is when that person brags online that they've found the link and then shares it. Until that happens, there's no leak.

Fadamor    45

Turns out they were SMART for not saying a word, seeing as it wasn't ready yet.

The link was not ready, but the hotels that had their contracts were still taking reserves. If you didn't reserve and did not get your hotel with the knowledge of that link, you only have yourself to blame.

Fadamor    45

double post

Ahh! The tried and true "Sucks to be slow!" response. You want to know how a link can be leaked early? It happens when someone slams the Passkey site every 10 seconds looking for an Otakon page, then manages to catch it one time when they brought it up for testing something before shutting it back down. But THAT'S not the leak. The leak is when that person brags online that they've found the link and then shares it. Until that happens, there's no leak.

http://www.cosplay.c...ight=hotel link

date of her post

08-01-2011, 11:15 AM

Date of my response in that thread

08-01-2011, 07:36 PM

http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=4074429&postcount=34

You can obviously see me in that thread going wtf, but rather then sit here and let the board members languish and miss their chance on a room, I brought it over here. The damage was already done and it was not fair to let others just sit there and miss out of rooms while another site held complete monopoly over it.

So, check your rage, its not earning you any points. If you want to take up arms, go talk to the people that reserved 3 or more rooms for intentions of selling them off

common sense, some people got it, some people don't.

Litwolf    0

Seraphy    1

Oh, this again.

Requoting my response that was posted in one of the posts here a year ago.

If you wish to attack someone, attack me, as I was the original one that posted the link. It appeared on cosplay.com first because I had a topic to see if people had already reserved as well. I didn't find out that the one my mother reserved was the one with con rate until later. And the only reason she showed me it was because she was annoyed over the fact that Otakon said it would be up the 8th. Maybe there should have been clarification, like the link would only be up on the 8th, but the system was up already. Or they should have some sort of setup making it so you can't book till the 8th. Anyway, some posters asked how my mother reserved, so I provided the link. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who knew the passkey system was already up, I just decided to make it public, so that everyone wasn't making it in secret. My mother always reserves the hotel the first few days after the convention, so it struck her odd that it would be the 8th, which is why she tried.

I apologize if this has ruffled anyone's feathers.

Oh, this again.

Requoting my response that was posted in one of the posts here a year ago.

If you wish to attack someone, attack me, as I was the original one that posted the link. It appeared on cosplay.com first because I had a topic to see if people had already reserved as well. I didn't find out that the one my mother reserved was the one with con rate until later. And the only reason she showed me it was because she was annoyed over the fact that Otakon said it would be up the 8th. Maybe there should have been clarification, like the link would only be up on the 8th, but the system was up already. Or they should have some sort of setup making it so you can't book till the 8th. Anyway, some posters asked how my mother reserved, so I provided the link. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who knew the passkey system was already up, I just decided to make it public, so that everyone wasn't making it in secret. My mother always reserves the hotel the first few days after the convention, so it struck her odd that it would be the 8th, which is why she tried.

I apologize if this has ruffled anyone's feathers.

In all honesty, I wasn't trying to let one site have monopoly over it. Posting it on the Otakon BBS didn't cross my mind because I had forgotten that it had forums. I rarely check the Otakon site, let alone visit the board. I'm still confused as to why the system was up and allowing people to register before Otakon said it would be posted on the site. I suppose they're keeping a tighter lid on it this time around, which I don't blame them for. But with the date drawing closer to August 9th, I'm pretty sure that the hotel chaos will be upon us again.

Litwolf    0

Seraphy > I am currently rereading the Cosplay.com thread from last year and you did nothing wrong. The system got a little jumbled and you at least shared your knowledge, rather than hoard it to yourself and only share it with friends and specific online people you like. So don't even worry about it :) Hope you enjoyed your con this year!

Litwolf    0

That's kinda funny... I'm rereading through the old Otakon forum post about the 'leaked' link last year. I completely forgot until reading those old posts that I had seen the link and waited a day to book my room because I wasn't sure if the reservations would be wiped clean to give everyone a fresh start. Even with the 'leak', the rooms weren't all gone in a heartbeat and I was able to get the hotel of my choosing even by waiting.

P.Landri    0

in the past, when has the passkey been posted to the otakon website?

Huntress    1

ok, this is totally NOT what I started this thread for... that's all in the past now people, lets please just drop it and get on with our lives...

ok, this is totally NOT what I started this thread for... that's all in the past now people, lets please just drop it and get on with our lives...

shinyaslove    0

I just want to tell people to be careful with passkey. Last year I was unable to go to the convention and canceled my hotel reservation through passkey. I was charged a day's hotel fee which had never happened when I booked through the hotel and before someone from the con starts up about an email being sent out letting people know they would be charged a day if they canceled after a certain date (7/6/12 in this case) it didn't come out until 7/7/12. No it was not redirected, in my spam folder or anything like that. My email address has been on file with the con for years. I didn't bother to argue the fact but just make sure if you reserve those rooms you might have to pay if you cancel even if it's early.

Fadamor    45

Actually, it was on the website that you made the reservation on as well so saying you didn't know because you didn't get the email is kind of a lame excuse.

In any event, warning people about Passkey now is a bit late because Otakorp is using a different broker this time around (Experian). They, too, will charge a fee if you cancel late, and their cancellation date, like Passkey's, is earlier than the hotel's normal cutoff date for a night's charge. In fact, I can go to Otakon's "Hotels" page, look at my reservation, spy this AMAZING link labeled "Cancellation Policy" and read the following little bit of information without EVER having to check my email:

Hotel Cancel Policy: Please note if you do not cancel your reservation by 4pm est on July 19 2013, your credit card will be charged a non-refundable one night's room and tax.

Fadamor    45

I WILL say, though, that the little blurb is a bit misleading. The way it reads, EVERYBODY who doesn't cancel by 4pm on July 19 is going to get charged one-night's room and tax. I think they made the assumption that since you're reading the cancellation policy, you intend to cancel. That's a bad assumption. I currently have no intention of canceling, yet I'm reading that if I don't by July 19 I'm going to be charged a night's room plus taxes. EVENTUALLY I expect that to happen, but only well after Experian is no longer in the picture (i.e. when I check out of my hotel.)

shinyaslove    0

The email I received specifically stated that if you didn't cancel through passkey by July 6th, then you would be charged a day's fee. It was sent out on the seventh. It is what it is. BTW...I have on ocassion had to cancel a room and have called the hotel the day before I was to check in and was not charged a fee. It was only through passkey that this has happened. If you aren't using them this year then that's a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

Fadamor    45

Yeah, as I mentioned, the hotels themselves are generally more lenient when it comes to late cancellations. The difference is that Passkey and Experian are room BROKERS rather than actual hotels. As both Passkey and Experian both have a two-week cut-off policy, I'm not sure what the justification for the early cut-off is. If my hotel normally has a three-day policy for charging a night's stay, I don't know why Experian needs a two week cut-off. Maybe it's an anti-hoarding measure? Maybe it was written into the contracts for the blocks of rooms that the normal three-day cancellation policy gets waived for the two week policy, seeing as the rates are lower than normal? Too many unknowns for us to make an educated guess.