Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alabaster

Ask Alabaster

I have question. Last year, pre-registration ended very late. This caused the badge lines on friday for pre registration line to be 50X longer than the registration line, but had near equal booths to process them. My brother and I tested the lines. I pre registering and he coming just that day to register( he had a child recently so was unsure if he could go). He ended up in the convention hall a good 1hr+ ahead of me. I have noticed that pregistration deadline is literally the day before. I am very wary to pre-register again. So my question is has the Otakon staff addressed this problem to process the prereg faster than the registration lines?

It's usually a crapshoot as far as which line ends up being faster. And sometimes it changes back and forth over the course of the con.

I have question. Last year, pre-registration ended very late. This caused the badge lines on friday for pre registration line to be 50X longer than the registration line, but had near equal booths to process them. My brother and I tested the lines. I pre registering and he coming just that day to register( he had a child recently so was unsure if he could go). He ended up in the convention hall a good 1hr+ ahead of me. I have noticed that pregistration deadline is literally the day before. I am very wary to pre-register again. So my question is has the Otakon staff addressed this problem to process the prereg faster than the registration lines?

I'm afraid I don't have particular insight into this specific issue, other than to say that yes, we are trying to fix that. I think we will have more "hot swappable" stations this year, and I know there are some procedural changes as well.  As I understand it there were some glitches and issues that slowed things down, but either have been resolved or aren't likely to happen again, though again -- I have no specifics because it's not one of my areas of focus at con.

Sorry!

I worked a shift at a pre-reg booth last year and when members had their "stuff" together, they had their badge and information packet in about 20 seconds - per person.  The longest part of that was them putting their name on the badge. I'm not really sure how you could reduce that even further unless you eliminated the ability to choose which badge design you got and just went with one badge design for everyone.

When the member DIDN'T have their "stuff" together, however, things could stretch out to two or so minutes per person.  Delays were caused by not having the sheet with the barcode and/or not deciding what badge to choose until they got to the window.  And of COURSE they have to first ask their friends which one they should choose and get all their opinions before deciding. rolleyes.gif

No.  Because in my 53 years of life, I have never HEARD of "poutine" and frankly the image that accompanied the article looks like cigarette butts with drool all over them. wacko.png

No.  Because in my 53 years of life, I have never HEARD of "poutine" and frankly the image that accompanied the article looks like cigarette butts with drool all over them. :wacko:

Hey, this is not "ask Fadamor", you know! :)

I just saw this on the internet.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/05/06/jones_soda_debuts_poutineflavoured_pop.html

Would you try it?

Mary Van Dyke

Registration

Probably. I do like poutine, or at least the upscale version at Victoria Gastro Pub, though I confess most of the jones soda weirdo favors don't appeal to me. They're novelties.

Good morning Otakon goers, Jim.

With the next wave of guest announces imminent, I was curious, waht has been the most awkward experience you had in dealing with guests behind the scenes (when they're not doing panels, etc)??

No.  Because in my 53 years of life, I have never HEARD of "poutine" and frankly the image that accompanied the article looks like cigarette butts with drool all over them. wacko.png

Hey, this is not "ask Fadamor", you know! smile.png

Good morning Otakon goers, Jim.

With the next wave of guest announces imminent, I was curious, waht has been the most awkward experience you had in dealing with guests behind the scenes (when they're not doing panels, etc)??

Hmm. Probably the musical guests who wouldn't leave, and stayed up talking about all sorts of stuff -- including masturbation! -- until 6:45 am. The problem? They were on my bed!  This was Sunday night and I was operating on WAY too little sleep, and I'd been there since Tuesday....

They were talking about masturbating on your bed? wacko.png  Ewwww.

At least they didn't ACTUALLY masturbate on the bed. lol.

Fine, "while on my bed, they discussed masterbation".

It was a VERY odd rambling multilingual combination -- I suspect partly designed to tease our interpreters (and me) and make them uncomfortable. Didn't work, but it was funny and awkward at the same time.

Fine, "while on my bed, they discussed masterbation".

It was a VERY odd rambling multilingual combination -- I suspect partly designed to tease our interpreters (and me) and make them uncomfortable. Didn't work, but it was funny and awkward at the same time.

I have literally no idea what to expect from this year's crop of guests, at least as far as late-night conversations go.

Honestly, we have half a dozen more guests to announce -- including some familiar faces -- plus some big premieres and special programming, con exclusives, and a few more surprises....

and all I can think is "i wish I had budget/time/space for ______"!!!  Because there are so many friends of the con we'd love to see here, but we just can't have them all.

Will you guys be using guidebook app this year? I remember last year, the guidebook app helped me plan my kon weekend sooooo much. If so, when will the guidebook be published?

Will you guys be using guidebook app this year? I remember last year, the guidebook app helped me plan my kon weekend sooooo much. If so, when will the guidebook be published?

Response to Guidebook has been excellent and I can't think of any reason why we'd stop working with them.  Many of us staffers use it ourselves.

That said, that's not really my department, so if you want an official answer, you'll need to ask this question in the general forum where someone from that section can answer. 

This thread is more for questions that are directed at me in particular, either because of one of my roles in this organization, or (rarely) because people are curious about me personally. 

Response to Guidebook has been excellent and I can't think of any reason why we'd stop working with them. Many of us staffers use it ourselves.

That said, that's not really my department, so if you want an official answer, you'll need to ask this question in the general forum where someone from that section can answer.

This thread is more for questions that are directed at me in particular, either because of one of my roles in this organization, or (rarely) because people are curious about me personally.

Just a further clarification -- the reason we try to keep these threads on topic, and divert certain questions to more appropriate sections/threads, is because we want to make it easy to find answers.    I am, after all, just one guy (albeit a guy with a lot of visibility), and we have dozens of staffers managing various aspects of the con.  I do pay attention to as much as I can, but I try to stick to what I know -- I'm busy enough! :)

On another note, I hope everyone's enjoying this year. I've missed the interaction here and I think it's important that quite a few members of our leadership take the time to engage directly with our members like this. We really do take your comments to heart and use the forums, the booths at other cons, and social stuff like twitter and facey-space to make sure we don't lose touch with who we are. It's a lot of work to run this organiation and when you're mired in details, it can be easy to forget why you are spending so much time to run an event you barely get to experience yourself.  The feedback and interaction, in short, help make sure we are -- and remain -- by fans, for fans.

Are we close enough to the con to know if there are going to be any changes to the room layout, particularly the exhibit halls this year?  Really hoping for a general purpose exhibit hall that can be used for some of the bigger panels, premiers, MAT3K, etc.

Are we close enough to the con to know if there are going to be any changes to the room layout, particularly the exhibit halls this year?  Really hoping for a general purpose exhibit hall that can be used for some of the bigger panels, premiers, MAT3K, etc.

There will be some layout changes. But I am not sure where we would get another exhibit hall. They are all in use!

Did you say facey-space?

What is Otakon doing for charity this year? 

Yup!

Team Con Chair are busy cooking up some stuff. Can't spoil their thunder, but of course we will have a charity auction. May e some other special activities....

Did you say facey-space?

What is Otakon doing for charity this year? 

Yup!

Team Con Chair are busy cooking up some stuff. Can't spoil their thunder, but of course we will have a charity auction. May e some other special activities....

And here is where I gripe about how I would totally go to charity auctions at otakon if it didn't run at the same time as things like the sunday concert (like, who's gonna miss that this year?).

Then again I guess I don't know what you can do about that. Take bids online after the con? No clue.

There is simply too much awesomeness to schedule around and people are going to have to decide between 2-3 great things that are happening at the same time. Tough choices will abound.

There are worse problems to face, no? 

If you are bored this year, you're totally doing it wrong. :)

Yeah, I was kind of annoyed last year that I missed most of the Aya Hirano concert because the one item I wanted in the Charity Auction ended up getting called close to last. I almost passed on it just to get to the concert, but I decided to stick it out. But oh well, what's an Otakon attendee to do?

To Dostovei Illuminas:  As I recall on this BBS last year, they said the way they build the schedule is primarily to keep an even load on the Conv. Center & etc, but that also means purposely stacking 3, perhaps even 5 featured events/panels at the same time!  This 20th Otakon is no exception.  As Jim said, tough choice will abound, even for them.

In the meantime, I can't wait to hear what these big premieres are, as long as it's not Hetalia (HET) related I'm fine!  The Otakon IMO has seen too much of it.

I wish I could tell you, guys, but I gave my word.

I'll give YOU my word on this, though -- rarely have we had such an impressive slate of cool stuff in store. And we will be announcing guests (probably a few every week throughout the coming month!) and premieres as soon as we can.

If we get a premiere even 1/10th as awesome as Children who Chase Lost Voices was I'm going to be ecstatic.

How do you manage to not explode from keeping all these secrets?

If we get a premiere even 1/10th as awesome as Children who Chase Lost Voices was I'm going to be ecstatic.

Primarily by means of dark eldritch sorceries I learned from an ancient tome. Some say that is the source of my power....

Or maybe that is why I have struggled to lose weight -- it's not fat, it's secrets!!

Okay, I've got a question:

Has Otakon ever gotten any tokusatsu-related guests? Or, if not, would you guys ever consider getting any?

Has Otakon ever gotten any tokusatsu-related guests? Or, if not, would you guys ever consider getting any?

Well, we have had power rangers, and we had a director of a Godzilla movie. I would consider it but there isn't much overlap with our usual contacts. Depending on how Pacific Rim does, we will have to see if there is a groundswell of support.

Now, there are two actors that I couldn't quite make work this year, but may well work NEXT year...

Well, we have had power rangers, and we had a director of a Godzilla movie. I would consider it but there isn't much overlap with our usual contacts. Depending on how Pacific Rim does, we will have to see if there is a groundswell of support.

Now, there are two actors that I couldn't quite make work this year, but may well work NEXT year...

To Dostovei Illuminas: As I recall on this BBS last year, they said the way they build the schedule is primarily to keep an even load on the Conv. Center & etc, but that also means purposely stacking 3, perhaps even 5 featured events/panels at the same time! This 20th Otakon is no exception. As Jim said, tough choice will abound, even for them.

In the meantime, I can't wait to hear what these big premieres are, as long as it's not Hetalia (HET) related I'm fine! The Otakon IMO has seen too much of it.

The sheer number of hetalia cosplayers last year was insane. It became a bit of an eyesore.

Okay Jim,

Time to talk about our favorite Time Lord so what is your take on Matt stepping down I was a little surprised oh and what did you think of the season ending eps (No spoilers for those poor souls who haven't had a chance to watch yet for the love of god I'm not sure why but I do know some folks who haven't).

I'm not sure if you heard one of the rumors that Helena Bonham Carter might be picked as the 12/13th Doctor, oh why we are on the number so which one is it 12th,13th or 14th Doctor.

The Doctor only has 12 regenerations possible.

unless they weasle around it somehow.

The sheer number of hetalia cosplayers last year was insane. It became a bit of an eyesore.

As this is the "Ask Alabaster" thread...

What do you think Alabaster?  Can there be such a thing as "too much of a given anime being represented at Otakon"?

I think it's always a challenge to balance being on top of the really hot property, and knowing when to pull back a bit.

As for cosplayers?  Let 'em do what they like, for the most part.

Okay Jim,

Time to talk about our favorite Time Lord so what is your take on Matt stepping down I was a little surprised oh and what did you think of the season ending eps (No spoilers for those poor souls who haven't had a chance to watch yet for the love of god I'm not sure why but I do know some folks who haven't).

I'm not sure if you heard one of the rumors that Helena Bonham Carter might be picked as the 12/13th Doctor, oh why we are on the number so which one is it 12th,13th or 14th Doctor.

The Doctor only has 12 regenerations possible.

unless they weasle around it somehow.

I think there's always a lot of nonsense from alleged insiders feeding the British tabloids.

This will be the 8th time I'll have seen this particular game of wild public speculation -- the first one I followed was Tom Baker to Peter Davison -- and I think it'll be fine.

The whole idea of 12 regenerations is both well-established AND has been repeatedly subverted. The Master several times tries to steal extra regenerations, is offered a complete new regenerative cycle by the Time Lords (in The Five Doctors), and is explicitly given a new body (Derek Jacobi) that is able to regenerate (into John Simm).  Rassilon was said to have infinite regeneration, but was bound in a tomb anyway (Five Doctors) and then let out again (End of Time). The Doctor tells Clyde Langer in Sarah Jane Adventures that he can regenerate 507 times, though it's pretty clear he's being facetious.

Depending on how the 50th Anniversary Special resolves the issues raised in this season's finale, we may even be forced to rethink our understanding of the Doctor's incarnations; it won't be the first time such questions have been raised (in Brain of Morbius, the production team intended to suggest there were pre-Hartnell incarnations), but the Doctor confirms his regeneration repeatedly to himself in many more cases.  There are, of course, ways around it.

Were it up to me, I would cast the next Doctor as a middle-aged ginger with a youthful vigor, to contrast Matt's "old soul in a youthful body" vibe. And then, when it's time to actively break the 12 rule, we have a model to follow (albeit one borrowed from Curse of the Fatal Death, which clearly isn't canon).  THAT is when you break the mold and cast a woman.

Moff is a clever boy, and he loves this show. He'll manage it.

In the end, the Doctor will regenerate as needed, as long as the show has an audience, and as long as the writers can come up with some way to allow it.

(Only vaguely familiar with the Who series, so take this for what it's worth)  It seems to me as long as the memories are retained, there's no way you can AVOID the "old man in a youth's body" syndrome.  Increasingly the regenerated Doctors will be faced with the "same ol' same ol'" and will start to take on a "been there, done that" reaction to even the extreme situations.  The body may be in his 20's, but the mind is in his 100's.

As this is the "Ask Alabaster" thread...

What do you think Alabaster?  Can there be such a thing as "too much of a given anime being represented at Otakon"?

And here is where I gripe about how I would totally go to charity auctions at otakon if it didn't run at the same time as things like the sunday concert (like, who's gonna miss that this year?).

Then again I guess I don't know what you can do about that. Take bids online after the con? No clue.

There is simply too much awesomeness to schedule around and people are going to have to decide between 2-3 great things that are happening at the same time. Tough choices will abound.

There are worse problems to face, no? 

If you are bored this year, you're totally doing it wrong. smile.png