Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alabaster

Ask Alabaster

So Jim,

Any thoughts on trying to get this guys to play either the Music Festival or Otakon,

I think there's always a lot of nonsense from alleged insiders feeding the British tabloids.

This will be the 8th time I'll have seen this particular game of wild public speculation -- the first one I followed was Tom Baker to Peter Davison -- and I think it'll be fine.

The whole idea of 12 regenerations is both well-established AND has been repeatedly subverted. The Master several times tries to steal extra regenerations, is offered a complete new regenerative cycle by the Time Lords (in The Five Doctors), and is explicitly given a new body (Derek Jacobi) that is able to regenerate (into John Simm).  Rassilon was said to have infinite regeneration, but was bound in a tomb anyway (Five Doctors) and then let out again (End of Time). The Doctor tells Clyde Langer in Sarah Jane Adventures that he can regenerate 507 times, though it's pretty clear he's being facetious.

Depending on how the 50th Anniversary Special resolves the issues raised in this season's finale, we may even be forced to rethink our understanding of the Doctor's incarnations; it won't be the first time such questions have been raised (in Brain of Morbius, the production team intended to suggest there were pre-Hartnell incarnations), but the Doctor confirms his regeneration repeatedly to himself in many more cases.  There are, of course, ways around it.

Were it up to me, I would cast the next Doctor as a middle-aged ginger with a youthful vigor, to contrast Matt's "old soul in a youthful body" vibe. And then, when it's time to actively break the 12 rule, we have a model to follow (albeit one borrowed from Curse of the Fatal Death, which clearly isn't canon).  THAT is when you break the mold and cast a woman.

Moff is a clever boy, and he loves this show. He'll manage it.

In the end, the Doctor will regenerate as needed, as long as the show has an audience, and as long as the writers can come up with some way to allow it.

I think there's always a lot of nonsense from alleged insiders feeding the British tabloids.

This will be the 8th time I'll have seen this particular game of wild public speculation -- the first one I followed was Tom Baker to Peter Davison -- and I think it'll be fine.

The whole idea of 12 regenerations is both well-established AND has been repeatedly subverted. The Master several times tries to steal extra regenerations, is offered a complete new regenerative cycle by the Time Lords (in The Five Doctors), and is explicitly given a new body (Derek Jacobi) that is able to regenerate (into John Simm).  Rassilon was said to have infinite regeneration, but was bound in a tomb anyway (Five Doctors) and then let out again (End of Time). The Doctor tells Clyde Langer in Sarah Jane Adventures that he can regenerate 507 times, though it's pretty clear he's being facetious.

Depending on how the 50th Anniversary Special resolves the issues raised in this season's finale, we may even be forced to rethink our understanding of the Doctor's incarnations; it won't be the first time such questions have been raised (in Brain of Morbius, the production team intended to suggest there were pre-Hartnell incarnations), but the Doctor confirms his regeneration repeatedly to himself in many more cases.  There are, of course, ways around it.

Were it up to me, I would cast the next Doctor as a middle-aged ginger with a youthful vigor, to contrast Matt's "old soul in a youthful body" vibe. And then, when it's time to actively break the 12 rule, we have a model to follow (albeit one borrowed from Curse of the Fatal Death, which clearly isn't canon).  THAT is when you break the mold and cast a woman.

Moff is a clever boy, and he loves this show. He'll manage it.

In the end, the Doctor will regenerate as needed, as long as the show has an audience, and as long as the writers can come up with some way to allow it.

I don't know why people think the Brain of Morbius showed pre-Hartnell Doctors. When the Doctor was winning the battle, the device showed his regenerations. When Morbius started winning, his regenerations started displaying. It was a battle of intellects and the Doctor started off strong, but faded as the battle went on. Hence the unfamiliar faces.

I don't know why people think the Brain of Morbius showed pre-Hartnell Doctors. When the Doctor was winning the battle, the device showed his regenerations. When Morbius started winning, his regenerations started displaying. It was a battle of intellects and the Doctor started off strong, but faded as the battle went on. Hence the unfamiliar faces.

I agree it CAN be read that way, and that interpretation is one that fits many facts -- most of them facts established AFTER this episode. But the production team is on record as saying that their intent was that the Doctor had lives prior to Hartnell (the 13 lives thing was established later).

They were recently made known to me this past year, unfortunately it was after I had booked the groups we have for the Matsuri. There is always next year, as I am always on the look out for the next hottest thing to make the Otakon Matsuri even better.

Thread awaken!  I've been wondering lately about if/when we get a new Otakon TV commercial for 2013, and if so, will it also run on the Neon Alley channel (PS3/360) like many other cons do??

Thread awaken!  I've been wondering lately about if/when we get a new Otakon TV commercial for 2013, and if so, will it also run on the Neon Alley channel (PS3/360) like many other cons do??

Thank goodness, I don't know everything.  Or if I do, it's not my place to spill the beans. :)

(I'd say probably/soon, and probably.)

Usually we'd promote the month before, so stay tuned. :)

Any chance that Good Smile Company will be coming to Otakon? I've noticed they have been making the rounds at conventions like Anime Central and AX.

Since Otakon is one of the big conventions too I thought there might be a chance.

Any chance that Good Smile Company will be coming to Otakon? I've noticed they have been making the rounds at conventions like Anime Central and AX.

Since Otakon is one of the big conventions too I thought there might be a chance.

Okay Jim will there be any commercial this year, also what are the chance of having a Otakon TV Show broadcasted live during the actual convention. Something sort of like both SDCC and AX do

Okay Jim will there be any commercial this year, also what are the chance of having a Otakon TV Show broadcasted live during the actual convention. Something sort of like both SDCC and AX do

To Scorpion89:  Look up a few posts back.  I already asked that question & he has no idea about that part yet.

Hi Jim,

Just wondering, could it be possible for Otakon to get Kalafina as a musical guest in the near future?

In this interview conducted with Kalafina in May 2013, they stated they would like to return to the U.S: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/convention/2013/anime-central/5

ANN: First off, that was a great concert last night. Do you currently

have plans for any other similar performances in the U.S.?

Kalafina: Unfortunately we do not have a

plan at this point, but you know, two years ago we performed in Los

Angeles at Anime Expo and two years before that at the big 'con in

Boston, so every two years we have been back in the United States and we

are hoping to be back in the near future.

Scorpion: I will be glued to my TV awaiting the BBCAMERICA premiere on Nov 23

We will not be able to do a TV broadcast of our contents due to some complexities and costs of labor at broadcast rates. That is largely a factor of our venue contract.

Kun sun: we could get them, but we generally do not bring guests who have already performed at multiple conventions, at least not for Otakon itself. Doing so would harm our ability to attract acts that have NOT appeared in the US.

So, with a week and change to go before Otakon actually begins -- are there any guests that haven't been announced yet, or is that it?

So Jim,

Any thoughts on trying to get this guys to play either the Music Festival or Otakon,

BABYMETAL FTW!!

Awesome... glad I'm not the only Otakon'er who knows/loves them!

Just sorry I don't have the fundage to make it to Otakon this yr for the 20th Anniv.

Was wondering if its ok to sell items while walking around the con such as having a sign saying Selling Bleach 1-14(missing 4) 30$.

Was wondering if its ok to sell items while walking around the con such as having a sign saying Selling Bleach 1-14(missing 4) 30$.

Ah ok thank you but just to be clear I wouldn't be going around telling people I have stuff for sale it would just be the 1 item and a sign on my back saying I have it and its price.

Ah ok thank you but just to be clear I wouldn't be going around telling people I have stuff for sale it would just be the 1 item and a sign on my back saying I have it and its price.

I asked this in the Q&A thread but haven't gotten a reply so I'd thought I'd try it here.

There's a panel I'm interested in going to on Saturday that would run into the concert.  Luckily I'm not as much of a fan of Home Made Kazoku as I am T.M. Revolution so I don't mind missing them.  What I am wondering is, do the doors to the Arena close once the concert starts, or can people come and go as they please?

Or do you think the concert will fill up and I should just skip the panel?