Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BasedMadoka

Otakon Vegas - Guest Request Thread (OFFICIAL)

Guest requests for Otakon Vegas

Same people as a requested before but with an addition to the list. Maybe they could do a Toriko panel?

1 - Jarrod Greene

2 - Chris Guerrero (Found out recently he runs a workshop called "Who Wants to be a Voice Actor" at cons he guests at) 

3 - Philip Weber

4 - Aaron Roberts

5 - Ian Sinclair

6 - Josh Grelle 

Okay kids, here's where you can put your hopes and dreams for Vegas guests, only for me to dash them like the evil bastard I am.

Please keep in mind that Otakon Vegas 2014 is a *FIRST YEAR CON* -- we are working with a MUCH smaller budget -- and will have a small number of guests. 

I will start off by saying we have one guest confirmed, and two more in progress, and are exploring a fourth. 

Guest requests for Otakon Vegas

2 - Chris Guerrero (Found out recently he runs a workshop called "Who Wants to be a Voice Actor" at cons he guests at) 

As always, I request Nana Mizuki. Unrealistic and highly unlikely, I know. But I'm requesting anyway.

Very cute, guys. Keep dreaming! :) 

Again, think "first year con" when considering what kind of funding we have for Otakon Vegas. I have some ideas and we have very well established connections, but I want to set expectations realistically: there isn't funding for a full Otakon-style musical performance available in the Otakon Vegas budget this year.

Remember that for every musical act you see, there's usually a *bare* minimum of 4-5 additional people needed to support the show (usually it's more like 5 + artist + 1 person for each artist). So a musical act typically requires 6-15 people to fly from Japan, and that's at $1500-$2k per ticket (for Vegas).

We *are* exploring several possibilities for how we might make a musical act work at OV, so nothing's set in stone.

However, let's keep any discussion about ways to pay for it off this particular thread, okay? Trust me, we're being thorough.

Very cute, guys. Keep dreaming! smile.png

Again, think "first year con" when considering what kind of funding we have for Otakon Vegas. I have some ideas and we have very well established connections, but I want to set expectations realistically: there isn't funding for a full Otakon-style musical performance available in the Otakon Vegas budget this year.

Remember that for every musical act you see, there's usually a *bare* minimum of 4-5 additional people needed to support the show (usually it's more like 5 + artist + 1 person for each artist). So a musical act typically requires 6-15 people to fly from Japan, and that's at $1500-$2k per ticket (for Vegas).

We *are* exploring several possibilities for how we might make a musical act work at OV, so nothing's set in stone.

However, let's keep any discussion about ways to pay for it off this particular thread, okay? Trust me, we're being thorough.

Never mess with Roulette Fad,  the house edge with a double zero is almost 5 percent.

Stick to pure skill games like blackjack and Poker. where the house has the smallest edge

And stand WELL Clear of Slots, 90 percent of the house revenue comes from slots.  but the absolute WORST for odds is Keno. Last I had heard NOBODY has ever picked all numbers correctly for a 70 ball keno game.

I thought tossing all your money on the roulette table and betting on black was a surefire way to rake it in though?

Well, *personally* I tend to do best at Mini Baccarat and Pai Gow Poker. But no worries, I'm not putting the guest budget on 14 red or anything. :)

I thought tossing all your money on the roulette table and betting on black was a surefire way to rake it in though?

Time to assemble a team of Otakon Card Counters... ;)

I understand Otakon (prime) is all about "no repeat guests" but is this going to be something you're concerned about for Otakon Vegas?

There are more than a few repeat guests that I would like to see for sure...

I'd love to see these guys :D

Laura Bailey

Troy Baker

Johnny Yong Bosch

Crispin Freeman

Todd Haberkorn

As it pretains to musical guests, why not consider some video game cover bands? I know that it's a celebration of Otaku culture, but gaming has infused itself into this convention as well as anything else. And speaking from first hand experience, the bands are awesome guys to deal with 99% of the time.

Would especially love to see LiSA again at a US con, but on the 3rd of January is her biggest concert yet at Budokan, so...

I'd say for a music guest, local band Crashfaster might be a good fit:

...and then there's Halko Momoi. I know she seemed to have a good time at Vegas, even if not the biggest draw...

I don't know if it would be popular enough, but it would be awesome if you could get some Atlus reps there.  Or maybe some Persona-related activity or panel done by them. 

I saw what you posted above about $1500-2000 airfare from Japan.  I would think being so close to Japan, or even California, there would be some Japanese talent there you could bring over for significantly less than flying someone over.  I would think it would be cheaper than getting those same guests to fly over to the East Coast, no?

I don't know if it would be popular enough, but it would be awesome if you could get some Atlus reps there.  Or maybe some Persona-related activity or panel done by them. 

I saw what you posted above about $1500-2000 airfare from Japan.  I would think being so close to Japan, or even California, there would be some Japanese talent there you could bring over for significantly less than flying someone over.  I would think it would be cheaper than getting those same guests to fly over to the East Coast, no?

Well yeah, but if they're "local" talent, then chances are they've played the area already.  If we're just bringing locals in (regardless of where they were born or where they grew up), then we're not really doing our job.

LA and SF have large Asian populations and easy access to certain things that are scarce on the east coast. But I'm not just going to go for someone like Eyeshine or the Slants, both of whom have played just about every venue on the west coast convention circuit, even though they're solid, easy-to-work-with performers who understand the ins and outs of performing in a typical convention balllroom or hall.  

They're great guys all round, but I would like to continue to try to bring you artists you haven't heard before, or at least haven't heard often before, and who I think will be good fits for the vibe we're trying to create.  It's not meant to be a repeat of Otakon, or Otakon Lite. It's about bringing our expertise to a new event and seeing how it grows; it's also about trying things that we can't or haven't tried at Otakon, like the Sumo stuff. That applies to guests and programming as well as to other aspects.

So I'm looking for guests that are willing to spend more time with you guys, and we're considering things like longer panels and more informal opportunities to interact. So I want guests that are amenable to that.

Well you're not saying anything I don't like!  I hope things work out for the best; I'm sure there are some guests you can't get for some reason or another, and other guests that do work out.  So I hope it works out to be a fun convention!  It will be our first time in Vegas, I doubt I will be able to make it out there every year, but if you do it every year or every few years I'll probably come back again in a few years.

LA and SF have large Asian populations and easy access to certain things that are scarce on the east coast.

So... it's October 7th, or about 3 months from Otakon Vegas.

Any progress on this side? Is Otakon Vegas getting more guests? At around what time do you guys plan to announce? I'm hoping you guys will get all of that squared away by start of December?

Or for that matter, how many guests and which types are you guys planning for?

Tossed three confirmations, bios, etc. over the wall to the announcement folks....

Musical guest details being sorted now.

Sorry guys, still kinda getting the timing and rhythm for an event this early in the year!

Here is the long overdue "Cryptic Guest Update" from your ol' pal Alabaster....

Announced:

JDF (Power Ranger)

Byambajav Ulambayar & Kelly Gneiting (Sumo)

Richard Epcar & Ellyn Stern (Voice Actors/Directors)

Fred Schodt (Cultural Expert & Author)

Confirmed internally:

Manga-ka.  (Yup, we snagged a manga-ka, and it is one you've definitely heard of.)

US Voice Actor/Director (another popular one)

To be confirmed:

1-2 additional US voices (more info later)

...and at least one more possibility.

Stay tuned, kiddos.  Gonna be awesome.

Confirmed internally:

Manga-ka.  (Yup, we snagged a manga-ka, and it is one you've definitely heard of.)

What happened to the musical guest by the way?

Announcements coming soon.  Must have left it off the list.  Oops!

Contract for Mus Guest is being reviewed. I'd characterize the act as "emerging", but definitely worth following. You'll find out soon! :)

Confirmed internally:

Nice! I may be one of the exceptions to the rule, though.  While I've read quite a bit of manga, unless their surname is Akamatsu, Hata, Mashima, Minamoto, or Yoshizaki I will have a hard time putting a name with a series.

There's at least one very obvious one that you're missing.  (Sadly, it's not Rumiko Takahashi...)

Curious to see who the manga-ka and musical guest are. So far I've not seen much to entice me into attending, but I'm open to that being changed.

What happened to the musical guest by the way?

Announcements coming soon.  Must have left it off the list.  Oops!

Contract for Mus Guest is being reviewed. I'd characterize the act as "emerging", but definitely worth following. You'll find out soon! smile.png

Confirmed internally:

Nice! I may be one of the exceptions to the rule, though.  While I've read quite a bit of manga, unless their surname is Akamatsu, Hata, Mashima, Minamoto, or Yoshizaki I will have a hard time putting a name with a series.

I'm also interested as to whom the mangaka is, as well as the musical guest. In all honesty, I can say that I've never met a mangaka before, so that's really exciting. Especially if its someone who wrote a favorite series of mine, or wrote a series I like in general.

Any idea when we can expect these announcements to come about?

Hmm. Possibly as early as today or tomorrow. 

Looks like the remaining announcements are:

- Manga-ka

- Musical guest

- Director

- 1-2 Dub Actor(s)

Looks like we will also have at least one premiere, possibly two.

I think we have a pretty good spread, though as always, individual mileage will vary.  For a first year event, it's extraordinary, and trust me, I'm using *every* dime of my tiny budget quite well.

This sounds like its going to be one amazing first convention. And the fact that a premiere is possible is even more enticing.

I have to say, you all at staff never cease to amaze me with everything you bring to the table.

Eagle-eyed visitors will see that we have just announced Rurouni Kenshin's creator will be at our Vegas show. 

We gave his wife such a warm reception at Otakon, and the timing worked out, so they're taking a new year's break to join us!

I am in minor shock that Otakon Vegas is getting THE Nobuhiro Watsuki. My mind's made up, and I'm going to do everything I can to get myself out to Vegas this year! No way am I going to miss the chance to meet Watsuki in person.

Eagle-eyed visitors will see that we have just announced Rurouni Kenshin's creator will be at our Vegas show. 

We gave his wife such a warm reception at Otakon, and the timing worked out, so they're taking a new year's break to join us!

Since Watsuki has been announced, it makes me wonder how much of a draw he'll bring to Otakon Vegas. I've got a feeling he's going to draw quite a bit of people, even though its a first con.

HOnestly, I have no idea what to expect, beyond the loose expectations we've outlined. I think we're probably going to be solidly above 1k, but that time of year is tricky to predict and I would think locals will be about half our attendees.

We had NO clue Watsuki-san would be available -- initially we were looking at a different guest. 

THis really is a great illustration of how luck (availability) and timing can be a huge factor when it comes to guests, but the opportunity wouldn't be there if we hadn't made a friend of Kurosaki-san, and earned her trust. The connections give you opportunities, the trust-building is key, but timing is critical and luck is always welcome. :)

When you hear "it's not what you know, it's who you know" that's somewhat true -- but merely knowing someone isn't enough.  I was lucky enough to meet Satoshi Kon on several occasions, and Maruyama-san's affection for Otakon is well known, but we never did work out the timing to get him to Otakon despite all the right connections.

THis past year has been so amazing from my perspective; I"m glad that our guests have been a hit with you guys as well.