Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreenTentacle

What do YOU write on your Con Badge?

So far I've always written my first name on my con badge but I was wondering what other people liked to put on their badges. Your real name? A nickname? Character that you are cosplaying as? Forum handle? Cute drawing?

nick Name phone number

as the person at the badge counter told me

Nobody really NEEDS to know my name (i mean it is right there on the board I'm to lazy to come up with an internet handle for most public places)

I only went last year but every time I go to a con . I write a character I am cosplay 

(IE. Xaldin, Lirin, Prince Soubi) Stuff like that and my number on the back.

I just put my name and whatever they ask for....and then draw a little panda on it. I remember standing in line in the game room one year behind a guy who must have been to most of the Otakons because he had a whole bunch of badges hanging on his backpack and everyone said something like "Deez Nutz" where you write your name....I thought it was pretty funny.

They recommend you write your cell phone number on the BACK of the badge in case it gets dropped.  Lost and Found can call the number if they have that info.

As for the front, I believe us Gofers have to use our real names (like we have to do here in our signatures on the forums.)

You should probably wait for someone from the Registration staff to chime in with the official policy (as things change over the years).  Personally, I'm not a fan of people writing their cell phone numbers on the back of their badge since it's so visible to other people.  Last year the badges had bar-codes on them that were attached to your registration and that was all Otakon staff needed to match the badge to you. I'm not on registration staff so I have no knowledge if they're going to be using the same system again this year, so wait for word from them.

On the Gofer side, while this my first year on GoferOps staff I haven't heard of a policy where we require Gofers to do something outside of what Registration's policies for the badge are.  That being said, including your Gofer ID number isn't a bad idea.

So back to OP's original topic (which didn't sound like wanting a policy debate), I usually write my name in katakana on my badge.

Just my first name on the front my number on the back.

I just took a look at my con badges from the last two years. On my 2011 badge, I only have my first name on the front and nothing on the back. On my 2012 badge, I have my first name and last name initial on the front and I guess it's my member ID number on the back. No phone numbers to be found.

I put my username on the front and my real name at the back. Standard operating procedure since my first convention.

I apsolutely loved the barcode from last year. I really hope they continue with that system since it is really so useful.

I do not suggest putting your phone number on your badge. No offence but anyone can see your badge. While yes, you might have some nice con goer calling you with your badge, those nifty barcodes are can pull up your information in a more secure way. Some things, it is best to let the staff do their jobs. The only time I have ever seen registration staff insist on a phone number on a badge is when we have children who need to be connected with a parent so we can quickly contact them if they are seperated.

I am not allowed to use anything but my real name but I tend to use my name in katakana when I am able to write my name in.

I do not know how things will go this year, but it seems things in registration get better every year.

I write my name...

Lupin III

I write my first name on the front & my phone number on the back. I'm not worried about people I don't know calling/texting me.

I've written my first name once; but now I use my main character's name or internet alias. happy.png I'm doing so many characters this year I'm not sure what name I'm using now!

I get so many people calling me that I don't know (usually wanting me to donate to the apparent 40 or so "Police Benevolent Associations" that must be in my area), that a few more won't matter much.  As for calls from people I DO know...

tumblr_l7kvr8DfKR1qzu4doo1_500.jpg

I personally put my username that I use for most social media sites (i.e Tumblr, Instragram, Twitter) that people may recognize me from.

For the five badges I have, I went from:

My Name, My Nick-name, My Online Username, a Shorten Version of my username and back to my name. Only 2010, and 2011 have my number on the back. Very useful for when the whole hotel room gets the same badge. (Also noted is the fact that I have 5 different colored landyards: red white blue black and green.)

Would it be wrong to write

This is my Member Badge. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My Member Badge is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My Member Badge, without me, is useless. Without my Member Badge, I am useless.

My Member Badge is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

I can't see how it would be "wrong", but you're going to have to write in the equivalent of 2-point font if you want to fit all that on the "Name" line.  happy.png  On second thought, it WOULD be wrong because the time you took to write all that would back-up the pre-reg line even more. dry.png

I write my real name and number on the back and my hotel too. on the front i write my internet alias.

Also, how often do you actually READ other people's badges?  Sure, at least once or twice a day, especially if we are chatting in line and having a good time.  But, I still find it easier to just ask for a name after a self-introduction.  And often, I'm too busy going to a fro to lok at random name badges in lines or of passerbys.  Do you guys/girls actually read a lot of badges across a con?

I used to write my real full name....but I think these days I tend to write one of the many random alias' I use + real last name....

With the gofer tag attached to the lanyard as well I doubt It'll be hard to figure out who the badge belongs to even if I ever really lose it...

Just my name, I don't have a cell phone so the number thing is useless for me.

At the last con I went to I put my writer's name on it (AHEM... not my real name... just one of my pseudonyms).  Of course I could have put who I was cosplaying... but at the time it was a made up Pokemon trainer so just put 'Mangoloo' on my badge - my pseudonym.

No idea what I am going to write on my next badge.... either who I'm cosplaying or my pseudonym.... hmmmm....

I write my name out in Hiragana. I put my number on the back and cover it up by putting another piece of paper over it.

when I first started going to cons I always wrote my nickname but now I just write Anna. 

I write The Big C

I just put my last Name (Bruno), outside of my family(4 obvious reasons) and a few friends it is what people call me

During my time as a regular attendee/gofer, I always wrote on my badge my BBS name I have here "KSweeley," now since I'm staff, all my staff badges have my picture and first and last name on it and what division and department I'm in for that year.

Regular name and phone number, almost lost my badge 5 minutes into an Otakon and have never panicked so much in my life.

Bahaha I was a stupid(er) kid for my previous cons. My very first con I wrote down an incredibly old handle I don't use anymore, as that was 7 years ago lol. The next I put my name, Yujin + last name...oddly enough however the most recent con I went to I used my middle name + last name. @_@ I would understand if the order was switched since until a couple years ago I exclusively went by my middle name. /shrug

This year I will probably just put Yujin on it. d:

Before I wrote my name

But this year I'm going with a nickname most likely ,like Rach or Ko :D

First couple of years, I wrote my first name, Brittany.  One year, I wrote that in katakana (ブリタニ).  Last year and maybe the year before that, I wrote "Lolo", which comes from my most common handle, which is PriestessLolo.

I've actually never had anybody suggest putting my real name or phone number, but I may do that on the back this year.  I never even thought of that.

I usually use my forum handle, and I follow the usual policy of putting my cell number on the back. Additionally as a gofer I do put my gofer ID number. They have never been picky about me using my real name. This year I am using the name of my character and my forum handle on the back. The cell phone thing is practical too, especially for stolen badges. Even with the bar codes it's not like the staff all carry scanners. It's best to put your cell number on it and if it is lost or stolen then you can have con ops look for the badge with your phone number on it. You could also put your member ID but that makes it harder to find when it's just lost.

I usually just write my first name and i will have a folded up piece of paper in the back with my number on it :P it helped last year due to me being dumb and loosing my badge at a dealer's table. She was nice enough to call back and return it :) but the paper ensures that my number will not be revealed if my badge decides to flip around (which it usually does -.-)

I usually use Shiggity or some variation of it. I think one year I used Gaspar though.

Username. 

I use it everywhere. Online, in my writing, ect.

It's the name I identify with anyway and makes me feel safer. 

Never thought to do the number on the back, but That's a good idea. 

Simple nickname you can respond to, and a phone number and email on the back is always a good idea.

Last year I recovered a couple separated badges that I found on the floor by calling their owners.

Usually just "Ru." I really ought to start putting my mobile number on there, though... haven't lost my badge yet in my five years of attendance, but.. knock on wood.

When I gofer, I put my real name in the name spot because Staff need real names for recommendations. For when I attend, I put my fannish name on it.

Normally, I just write my first and last name, but recently, I've been just putting my first name, sometimes in katakana. Might just put my full name in katakana on this year's badge. Still debating though lol.

My friend puts "404 Not Found" on his xD

I tend to do my online handle/cosplay alias/artist pen name. Never did put a number on mine, but I always usually tend to also safety pin the lanyard to my costume as well, usually somewhere in the shoulder area so it isn't noticeable and another small one through the badge clip plastic, and to my costume. This way if the lanyard snaps or breaks, the badge is still there.

I usually just write my name or nickname on it, and then draw something like a peace sign or a smilie face because I'm a cornball like that.

I tend to put my nickname on mine. A few staff members at registration were having me tell people to put their real names on the badge, so that if they were turned in to lost and found, you could show ID and have it returned to you easily. (Mind you, I wasn't told of this until well after my badge had my nick. I also do not know what, if anything, is official policy.) While the badge can be looked up by its ID, L&F doesn't have a computer capable of doing so. I know that in a prior year, we told people to put a cell number on the back, but I'd caution against that (unless you cover it up with something else), as I recall hearing reports of someone getting crank calls from a number visible in an online photo.

Normally, I just write my first and last name, but recently, I've been just putting my first name, sometimes in katakana. Might just put my full name in katakana on this year's badge. Still debating though lol.

My friend puts "404 Not Found" on his xD