Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Singleton93

Tips and Hints

Hi there,

A couple of tips to remember in any convention setting:

-Take time to see other sites. The Maryland Science Center is undergoing a major renovation that will be finished in May. If you are coming early enough on Thursday or want to see something different, that is a good spot. Next year, the Aquarium is finishing a major renovation. It is exciting time to see some new attractions in Baltimore.

-Enjoy a dinner out at some place other than fast food. Part of seeing another city is tasting local cusine or eating at places you've never seen. ESPN Zone or Cheesecake Factory is those type of places. Cheesecake Factory is excellent.

-Never wear a convention badge outside of the Convention Center. Never ever do that. Take it off as soon as you exit the building. It is easier to pull a badge out and show it to security at the door than lose your money or travelers checks. This happened to me at a convention. Fortunately, I had American's Express Travelers Checks and I was without them for no more than 24 hours.

-Always carry Travelers Checks with you. Most banks issue them for Free or very cheap. Check your bank or Credit Union about this.

I hope this helps all those people who have never been to a convention before and I have learned some things from these tips.

-Always carry Travelers Checks with you. Most banks issue them for Free or very cheap. Check your bank or Credit Union about this.

If you or your parents belong to AAA, you can also get them through there (IIRC).

As an employee of that company, I can tell you that you can indeed purchase Traveller's Cheques at your local branch office. :D

Are they free to purchase? Because I know that banks and such often charge a significant if not a considerable fee for those things sometimes. And what network issues them? Visa? AmEx?

Because I know that banks and such often charge a significant if not a considerable fee for those things sometimes. And what network issues them? Visa? AmEx?

Be aware that not all dealers take traveler's cheques (I think there's a fee associated, not 100% sure). I've always carried cash at Otakon (as well as every other con I've gone to) and have never had a problem. Just don't go flashing it around the bums or on the streets at night and you should be fine.

If you're really worried about getting pickpocketed, remember, front pocket is good, as is keeping stuff in a backpack, etc. in the INNERMOST pocket.

My advice would be to carry the majority of your funds in Traveler's Cheques - and keep a proportional amount of cash with you just in case.

i.e. if you're bringing $250, consider $200's worth of traveler's cheques and $50 cash. This way you're only out $50 and if you need something (an emergency cab fare, etc), you've got cash.

Just a thought.

Here's a link to a thread titled Where to Eat Cheap, Good or Both /viewtopic.php?t=2669">http://board.otakon.com/viewtopic.php?t=2669. There are some great resturant tips here. :P

Wow, A link to my Thread.

I'm so Happy.....*Sniff*

just for anyone who might be Catholic, there plenty of Churchs near BCC.

Though the best choice might be The Basilica of the Assumption about 4 or 5 Blocks up St. Paul street, plus they have a 4 p.m. Sunday mass, which is after Otakon is over. :D

There's a methodist church across the street from the Otterbein Lobby, the first methodist church in the country (and world, since it started here) ever, if i remember right.

There's a methodist church across the street from the Otterbein Lobby, the first methodist church in the country (and world, since it started here) ever, if i remember right.

Aye tis be true.

course i don't know much about Methodist, just another knockoff of Catholicism to me..............

Aye tis be true.

course i don't know much about Methodist, just another knockoff of Catholicism to me..............

apologies to any Methodists on the board :D

Aye tis be true.

HOWEVER, this is an excellent thought, for those that will be practicing their faith of choice throughout the weekend, I'm sure that knowing where they can go for a few hours during the weekend would be great. Any other close by places of worship? 8)

All hotels will have a list of nearby places of worship, as well as their service times. This is usually in that book in your room, but is *always* available from the front desk. Honestly, I've stayed in over 25 states and three foreign countries, and I've never been to a hotel that failed to provide the list right there in the room for you.

HOWEVER, this is an excellent thought, for those that will be practicing their faith of choice throughout the weekend, I'm sure that knowing where they can go for a few hours during the weekend would be great. Any other close by places of worship? 8)

All hotels will have a list of nearby places of worship, as well as their service times. This is usually in that book in your room, but is *always* available from the front desk. Honestly, I've stayed in over 25 states and three foreign countries, and I've never been to a hotel that failed to provide the list right there in the room for you.

Captian Obivous Says: They also give you a Bible and a Phone Book!

For any Catholics on the board, the St. Jude Shrine and the Baltimore Basilica are both within walking distance.. I went to the Shrine last year and loved it.

were you 1 of the girls in fuku in the back of church?

This reminds me of some church youth group that came a few times that were claiming to show "biblical anime" at their room party. In reality (from what I'm told) it was just some crappy low budget afair that happened to be animated in Japan.

A note to anyone who will visit a place of worship on Sunday mornings:

If you're cosplaying to that place (which I would advise against), make sure it's tasteful. You know, no catgirls. Not trying to be bossy, just - cosplaying some outlandish character in a church/synagogue/mosque/wherever seems a little inappropriate or disrespectful.

For any Catholics on the board, the St. Jude Shrine and the Baltimore Basilica are both within walking distance.. I went to the Shrine last year and loved it.

were you 1 of the girls in fuku in the back of church?

sorry i'm thinking about two years ago.

last year i had a cold on sunday and went to my regular church.

If you're cosplaying to that place (which I would advise against), make sure it's tasteful. You know, no catgirls. Not trying to be bossy, just - cosplaying some outlandish character in a church/synagogue/mosque/wherever seems a little inappropriate or disrespectful.

I don't know, i think it would be cool if the stars of FFX or DBZ came to Holy Rosary for mass!

Even as someone who doesn't attend church, I can't see cosplaying to a service as appropriate in most cases. I mean, if a character just wears street clothes, then that's not a big deal...but I think even a school girl outfit is pushing it, especially if it's short short.

I can see it now, a 7 ft tall Godzilla cosplayer walks into the church and no one pays any mind to it. Ah, the joys of mixing anime/japanese culture and religion.

Also here's the link to The Basilica web site http://www.baltimorebasilica.org

And my church's web sitewww.holyrosarypl.org

Jim, weren't you there for Lisa and Bram's wedding?

Yup, I was *in* the wedding. Haven't seen or heard much of them since (they're terrible about replying to email, which is the best way to get in touch with me), not much at all since the phone call about gofering last year.

Also here's the link to The Basilica web site http://www.baltimorebasilica.org

And my church's web sitewww.holyrosarypl.org

Jim, weren't you there for Lisa and Bram's wedding?

Yup, I was *in* the wedding. Haven't seen or heard much of them since (they're terrible about replying to email, which is the best way to get in touch with me), not much at all since the phone call about gofering last year.

Lisa checks her email once a month ( maybe ) , and I'm lucky if i get a reponse from Bram and i'm family!

so don't feel to bad.

just keep bugging them and you'll get a reponse ( some times poking them in the arm helps to ). :twisted:

I don't know, i think it would be cool if the stars of FFX or DBZ came to Holy Rosary for mass!

It may appear cool to you and a few others, but I think it may be a bit distracting for the service.

"Excuse me, Mr. Goku, please remove your hair, no one seated behind you can see." :?

Yeah, flipping out resturant owners is one thing... but places of worship, that not only reflects on the person, but then when it comes time for the con these places do not want to be tensed up because "those people" will be in town and may come and disrupt services.

Just a thought.

Yeah i know i'm just joking around.

i would not want anyone showing up in a wild outfit.

"Excuse me, Mr. Goku, please remove your hair, no one seated behind you can see." :?

lmao

Hi there,

The Mr. Goku joke is very funny. I went to a college that was a little more progressive (Towson U.) than most. I don't think I would ever see Goku at Sunday Mass at the Newman Center. No way Fr. Bob would ever allow that. I don't think my home church St. Joan of Arc would let a Dragonball Z Cosplayer withing 50 feet of the place without someone screaming and someone calling Aberdeen police.

It may appear cool to you and a few others, but I think it may be a bit distracting for the service.

Yeah, flipping out resturant owners is one thing... but places of worship, that not only reflects on the person, but then when it comes time for the con these places do not want to be tensed up because "those people" will be in town and may come and disrupt services.

Just a thought.

Wow^^ thanks, this was all a realy big help for me!....this year will be my 1st time :oops:

a few questions though....i dont understand most of the lingo @_@;; some friends filled me in on gloming and stuff..but is there any need to know stuff?

and is brining food in okay :oops:

Wow^^ thanks, this was all a realy big help for me!....this year will be my 1st time :oops:

a few questions though....i dont understand most of the lingo @_@;; some friends filled me in on gloming and stuff..but is there any need to know stuff?

YES, Bring LOTS, Bring some for you, some for your Friends and some everyone else whos been at Otakon before as a Tribute :twisted:

P.S. I like Tacos and am Allergic to Peanuts

YES, Bring LOTS, Bring some for you, some for your Friends and some everyone else whos been at Otakon before as a Tribute :twisted:

You need to remove those animated gifs from your sig immediately. While I personally support the sentiment, the images violate the rules.

Those rules are clearly posted in the board announcements section:

/viewtopic.php?t=606">http://board.otakon.com/viewtopic.php?t=606

You need to remove those animated gifs from your sig immediately. While I personally support the sentiment, the images violate the rules.

Those rules are clearly posted in the board announcements section:

/viewtopic.php?t=606">http://board.otakon.com/viewtopic.php?t=606

Hmm...

First off, it's okay to be a n00b. Everyone's a n00b at some point or other. Some of us hide it more. :)

Some lingo you'll want to understand:

Pocky: Japanese candy consisting of a biscuit/cookie stick covered in a frosting-type substance. The arguably most popular flavors are chocolate and strawberry; visit a Suncoast or Asian grocery to pick some up before the con, though, because evil Aramark :evil: sells them for $5/box. Also known as Candy of the Gods.

Manfaye: Feared above all other cosplayers. Take Faye from Cowboy Bebop; make her into a scary, hairy man.

Umm... I dunno. :D What is some lingo you don't understand?

Bringing food is okay; they don't check your bags at the door (oh my god, can you imagine how long the lines would be on Friday morning? *dies*) but like Singleton said, if a staffer walks up and asks to check your bag, it's in your best interest to let 'em at it. ^_^

When this topic has come up before, it's been stressed to use common sense in your food choices (ie bring a closable bottle instead of cans) and above all else clean up after yourself.

Otherwise, it's game on. If you're planning on being in line on Thursday for pre-reg pick up, a few of us are having a picnic; see the 'Tailgate Party in the Line' thread. Or, if you're not going to be there Thursday but have some time to kill Sunday afternoon, we're also having a post-con picnic. See the 'Food at the Farewell Ceremony' thread.

Have fun; hope this helps!

yeah.. I've been intoduced to manfaye X_X;; that wasnt a pleasnt expeince ^_^, ((damn friends))

I know about pocky from other msg board, but have never tried it *_* i want to though^^ how much does it run normaly?

I'm not sure what i dont understand >_<;; I think my friends did a good job and everything with training the n00bs :wink:

as for the picknic; yeah, i'll be here^^ But i dont think my dad and grandparents would take too kindly to my having online friends and such >_< so yeah....unless its a convention sponsered thing...or i convence them I somehow know you all or my friends do... :)

Price for Pocky differs depending the kind of place you buy it from:

At a retail store in the mall/etc (think Suncoast or your local anime depot), one box (two packs) will set you back $4.00 (I think - either that or it's $3.00).

At an Asian grocery store, the prices are much lower - think in the $1.00-$1.50 price range.

Aramark, the Evil BCC Food Contractor Hated Above All Else (hereafter referred to as EBCCFCHAAE :wink:) sells the same size box for $5.00.

Asian grocery stores will have the best selection of varieties, although my local Suncoast is pretty good, too.

...All this talk of Pocky is making me hungry. :?

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask. ^_^

Price for Pocky differs depending the kind of place you buy it from:

At a retail store in the mall/etc (think Suncoast or your local anime depot), one box (two packs) will set you back $4.00 (I think - either that or it's $3.00).

At an Asian grocery store, the prices are much lower - think in the $1.00-$1.50 price range.

Aramark, the Evil BCC Food Contractor Hated Above All Else (hereafter referred to as EBCCFCHAAE :wink:) sells the same size box for $5.00.

Asian grocery stores will have the best selection of varieties, although my local Suncoast is pretty good, too.

...All this talk of Pocky is making me hungry. :?

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask. ^_^

A standard-size box has two packs of I think 10 sticks - you can also find jumbo boxes and small boxes, with proportionally more or less. Those are harder to come across - most places I've seen only have the two-pack kind.

Asian grocery stores.... hmm. Where are you located - name of your town/city, closest major metropolis?

hmmm, i've actually seen Pocky at my local Pathmark (dunno if u guys have that) check the ethnic foods isle

lol, here (nj) they only have the almond crush Pocky and it's $5 a box, but they're delicious

A standard-size box has two packs of I think 10 sticks - you can also find jumbo boxes and small boxes, with proportionally more or less. Those are harder to come across - most places I've seen only have the two-pack kind.

Asian grocery stores.... hmm. Where are you located - name of your town/city, closest major metropolis?

I know of a lot of little towns in PA, which one is yours, maybe I'll know it....Heck, I live in one.

I get my pocky at Wegmans. It's cheaper than Suncoast and has an okay selection.

Or you could bring it and let me *ahem* take care of it for you. *shifty eyes* :D

"No, ma'am, I insist - allow me to carry all of that heavy jewelry for you. :)"

Definetly have a bag/backpack to carry your stuff in... or in. You could even customize it to match your costume. Unless your Launchpad, he has to carry a clear bag or backpack so security knows what he has at all times. :P

Hm, don't know if anyone has listed this as a tip but here it goes.

Make sure if you're cosplaying to take a costume repair kit with you! Make sure you include the following items:

-thread that matches your costume colors

-super glue

-scissors

-tape

-extra bobbi pins if you're wearing a wig

-deordorant

-extra buttons if you have buttons on your costume

-needles

I know it has come into handy for me and the rest of my group plenty of times. We like to call it our Emergency Disaster Kit (EDK).