Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Singleton93

Tips and Hints

How about still cameras? Is there any place where still cameras are allowed that video cameras aren't?

No, sorry

The only recording device exception is for press authorized by the Sony Music to take still photos and/or video of selected portions of the performance.

okay, so it's okay to have them in the dealer room?..wait...just list WHERE you can have still &/or stills :D

okay, another >_<;;

What are the prices like? Are manga and shirts and stuff generly cheaper? and just how big is the dealer room :?

and can you come the day before to get your badge and everything so you can bypass the line? i was told by a friend you can....

I know of a lot of little towns in PA, which one is yours, maybe I'll know it....Heck, I live in one.

I get my pocky at Wegmans. It's cheaper than Suncoast and has an okay selection.

I did list where it was OK, everywhere but:

Still/Digital/video cameras and similar recording devices, both video and audio are OK in all areas except:

1- Concerts

2- Video Rooms

3- A panel or workshop where the presenter requests you not record or photograph it. I'm sure if anyone wants to do that they'll make an announcement before the event starts

The dealer's room is large enough to land an airplane in, I believe the actual figure is 94,000 square feet. Dealers bring what they bring, it changes every year. Usually sales depend on how their stock has been moving before the con. Suffice to say a lot of people with a lot of different things, your mileage may vary

A standard-size box has two packs of I think 10 sticks - you can also find jumbo boxes and small boxes, with proportionally more or less. Those are harder to come across - most places I've seen only have the two-pack kind.

Asian grocery stores.... hmm. Where are you located - name of your town/city, closest major metropolis?

okay...

Glen Bernie

baltimore

memphis tennasee ((dont ask))

and a little town in PA you'd never have heard of before :D i think it's about an hour from baltimre though...lol

I'm not sure but i think somwhere in Arundel Mills sells Pocky, and i know Pandroas Cube in White Marsh has it.

okay^^ I'll just have a friend et me some since i'm not going to be in MD after toamarro :cry: >_<;; I wonder if tehy sell any in Memphis....*wanders off to google*

I know of two Wegmans in Pa...One's in Scranton, one's in Wilkes Barre. I'm sure there's more, as it's a Wal-Mart affiliate store.

I go to the Scranton one.

okay, so it's okay to have them in the dealer room?..wait...just list WHERE you can have still &/or stills :D

okay, another >_<;;

What are the prices like? Are manga and shirts and stuff generly cheaper? and just how big is the dealer room :?

and can you come the day before to get your badge and everything so you can bypass the line? i was told by a friend you can....

and i know Pandroas Cube in White Marsh has it

Don't buy from them, there are horror stories that go along with Pandora's Cube. I don't mean to open a can of worms with that statement (or a Pandora's Box, da dum ching - sorry), it's simple fact.

They'll have a booth at-con, too, always have - best to steer clear unless you absolutely cannot find something they have at another booth (usually not the case).

What are the prices like? Are manga and shirts and stuff generly cheaper? and just how big is the dealer room

The dealer's room is big. Like... big. Most of my high school (possibly all) would fit inside. (Amazing how it all fills up @_@).

Generally manga and shirts are cheaper than retail or online, especially on Sunday when they're trying to clear everything. DVD and import CD prices vary the greatest amount, although there's not a set "this is the flat rate" at all in the dealer's room - everything is different based on the individual dealer. That's why you have to shop around and not buy something the instant you see it (unless it's going fast and you really want one - like the popular plushies).

Example:

A Witch Hunter Robin DVD at Bandai's booth might set you back $25 because they're the distributor and that's how much they want for it - but at the little hole-in-the-wall anime store's booth, that same DVD might only run you $17.

Look for twofer deals, and even threefer and fourfer on Sunday.

Definitely have a set limit in mind for any single item you're looking for, especially at the artist auction.

Oh! Cameras, still or video, are not allowed at all in the art auction. The past few years, they've had a "Wall o' Shame" of confiscated cameras with the film ripped out displayed at the entrance to the Art Auction - they're serious. :D

and i know Pandroas Cube in White Marsh has it

Don't buy from them, there are horror stories that go along with Pandora's Cube. I don't mean to open a can of worms with that statement (or a Pandora's Box, da dum ching - sorry), it's simple fact.

They'll have a booth at-con, too, always have - best to steer clear unless you absolutely cannot find something they have at another booth (usually not the case).

i don't know they got the best selection in baltimore that i know of

I wish I could remember what user it was who posted with horror stories about renting from them, about how they took his credit card number and wouldn't terminate his account after he asked them to (eek); about the fansubs they tried to pass off as "import" titles and sell for money. They're nice to look at, sure, but please don't buy from them. Find something you like, maybe ask a few questions, then purchase online or from Suncoast or a legitimate retail store.

Jeff Kleist was around when this came up last year; do you have anything to share on the subject, Jeff?

on and Ze Great Launchpad i meant to tell you, somewhere i said i'd never Cosplayed before.

well i was wrong.

When i was 5 or 6 at Shore Leave (ask alabbaster for more on it, cuz i'm trying to forget all the Trekys)*shudders* i was in the masqurade as Drakwing Duck.

some were i have some pics....

I wish I could remember what user it was who posted with horror stories about renting from them, about how they took his credit card number and wouldn't terminate his account after he asked them to (eek); about the fansubs they tried to pass off as "import" titles and sell for money. They're nice to look at, sure, but please don't buy from them. Find something you like, maybe ask a few questions, then purchase online or from Suncoast or a legitimate retail store.

Jeff Kleist was around when this came up last year; do you have anything to share on the subject, Jeff?

a friend of mine is one of the're top costomers

hes never had any probs but i to have heard some stories.

like the have stuff they should not. not saying any more

Anyone who wishes to see the past stories and discussions on Pandora's Cube can refer to this thread

/viewtopic.php?t=2013&highlight=pandora+credit">http://board.otakon.com/viewtopic.php?t=20...=pandora+credit

I think pretty much everything that needed to be said about them was said there, and it's up to the individual to decide whether or not to do business with them. There are many reasons why great numbers of people choose not to shop at their stores, which I'm sure people like Launchpad will be happy to elaborate in a private message.

I'm going to ask that people refrain from starting a new discussion about them here, and take it to private messages. If anyone has a question about this, or the content of the linked thread, feel free to message me.

Here's another tip that I think will help everyone..

-Please- be polite!

This is going to be a big convention. There will be lots of people with different demeanors and who knows what will be happening. The best type of policy to keep is to just not snap at someone or throw a tantrum.

The last thing Otakon needs is for some big brawl to start and whoops, there goes Otakon 05 in BBC. :evil: So let's all be civilized when we get there. :lol:

Here's another tip that I think will help everyone..

-Please- be polite!

This is going to be a big convention. There will be lots of people with different demeanors and who knows what will be happening. The best type of policy to keep is to just not snap at someone or throw a tantrum.

The last thing Otakon needs is for some big brawl to start and whoops, there goes Otakon 05 in BBC. :evil: So let's all be civilized when we get there. :lol:

Gee and i was planning to give everyone i see the finger.....

The last thing Otakon needs is for some big brawl to start and whoops, there goes Otakon 05 in BBC. So let's all be civilized when we get there.

Whoa what happened in 2001?

Anyways my big tips are wear comfortable shoes and don't strain yourself with walking. I got blisters last year...it wasn't fun but they healed quick. Also be aware that it'll be hot, after all the event is going to be held during the hottest days of the year.

About being polite...I'm not hating on people who do the hugging, if you hold up a sign to ask people to voluntarily hug you then that's ok. But if you're going to walk up to people and hug them before asking and getting a reply then that's going to provoke a lot of unwanted crap. I almost socked this girl in the face when she walked up to me and tried to hug me before I got her question about whether or not if I wanted a hug. I also scared off this kid who tried to hug my girlfriend at the time. Don't be an ass to get attention is the tip I'm trying to get at here, in fact it's the one tip that should be going around considering that I met a couple of immature lil freaks last year who were lucky that I didn't want to get kicked out for taking out a couple of eyes.

A very late shout out to this chick I saw last year (blonde hair and glasses) who told off this tall dork (blonde and with glasses too) who tried to approach and hug her: YOU ROCK!! That dude got what was coming to him and he walked away shattered! :lol:

The last thing Otakon needs is for some big brawl to start and whoops, there goes Otakon 05 in BBC. So let's all be civilized when we get there.

Fortunately the Dalek attack was thwarted back in 2001

What is this Dalek thing being spoken of? :o It sounds interesting. Hehe.

But yeah, that's what I mean. I mean like, if someone asks you where something might be, don't answer like an ass with "How the freaking hell should I know?" Just say something like "I'm not sure."

Sometimes I think people just go out of their way to be bums..

But yeah, that's what I mean. I mean like, if someone asks you where something might be, don't answer like an ass with "How the freaking hell should I know?" Just say something like "I'm not sure."

Sometimes I think people just go out of their way to be bums..

That was meeee! :o Or maybe it wasn't, but can I get a cookie anyway? :o

I remembered I emailed them awhile back but I didn't get a response on the matter.

Asking repeatedly won't make things go faster

They'll speak when they have something to say; asking for anything else will only incur their wrath. o_O

Fortunately the Dalek attack was thwarted back in 2001

Gotta love the Doctor. He saved the day *and* he won the "most original outfit" award in the cosplay. :o

It's a reference to Doctor Who, the longest running sci-fi series in the world (it started on the BBC in 1963 and ran through 1989, and has continued in book form ever since, with a TV movie in 1996 and original audio dramas since then). It involves the adventures of a guy who travels in time and space, saving planets, history, and in general getting involved.

The Daleks are the best known monsters on the show, starting in the second episode and spawning two movies (with Peter Cushing) in the 60s. They're hateful, evil, and a horrid galactic menace, with annoying ranting voices that British schoolchildren emulate even today. Think of them as half-robotic mutant Nazis. :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/gallery/dalek/

(I'm a huge fan of the show, but I actually think the Daleks look very dated and rather silly. I've seen some exciting redesign possibilities, though.)

It's a reference to Doctor Who, the longest running sci-fi series in the world (it started on the BBC in 1963 and ran through 1989, and has continued in book form ever since, with a TV movie in 1996 and original audio dramas since then). It involves the adventures of a guy who travels in time and space, saving planets, history, and in general getting involved.

The Daleks are the best known monsters on the show, starting in the second episode and spawning two movies (with Peter Cushing) in the 60s. They're hateful, evil, and a horrid galactic menace, with annoying ranting voices that British schoolchildren emulate even today. Think of them as half-robotic mutant Nazis. :o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/gallery/dalek/

(I'm a huge fan of the show, but I actually think the Daleks look very dated and rather silly. I've seen some exciting redesign possibilities, though.)

I'm also a huge fan of Dr. Who, there's rumors floating around now that there's a Dr. Who movie in the works now.

Oooo. O.O Wow. That's a lot to take in at once, hehe. But what was that comment about a replay of Daleks of 2001 or 2002? o.O Did something happen at Otakon involving a Dalek invasion? :o

The new Dr.Who series will air in 2005

In 2001, there wasa train wreck under Baltimore which spilled a ton of chemicals, causing manhole covers to blow into the air from the gas buildup, and the entire sewer system to be flooded to get the stuff out.

I don't know if this tip was brought up or not. But if it was I am brining it up again if that is alright with everyone.

Try to keep yourself in a group if your travling at nite around the center. If you were to stray too far you may end up in a section of Baltimore City called "The Block". Its not exactly a good place for innocent otaku. If you happen to feel your straying too far remember where you turned at and such; in otherwords back track. Also, try and keep a cell handy if you get parted from your group of minions..I mean friends so you can catch back up with them.

Yeah. I'd definitely would like to hear more about the area around the BBC at late night, since I don't plan to leave the con each night at least till 1 AM. o.o

I'm also a huge fan of Dr. Who, there's rumors floating around now that there's a Dr. Who movie in the works now.

Nope. There's a new TV show, launching next year, produced and largely written by Russell Davies (the creative force behind Queer As Folk and many other shows, as well as a writer of an excellent Dr Who novel). It'll star a chap named Chris Eccleston, with Billie Piper as the assistant. Writers include the folks who've written some of the better novels. If you follow the link I posted, that takes you to the BBC's official Dr Who website, where the news page will keep you updated. Personally, I find Outpost Gallifrey (http://www.gallifreyone.com) the best source of news.

Try to keep yourself in a group if your travling at nite around the center. If you were to stray too far you may end up in a section of Baltimore City called "The Block". Its not exactly a good place for innocent otaku. If you happen to feel your straying too far remember where you turned at and such; in otherwords back track. Also, try and keep a cell handy if you get parted from your group of minions..I mean friends so you can catch back up with them.

Nope. There's a new TV show, launching next year, produced and largely written by Russell Davies (the creative force behind Queer As Folk and many other shows

Is this "Block" next to the BBC or something? :shock: I know how to defend myself but it may be good for those that don't to take special heed of where this place may be located.

Pro-Tip: If you see something you want in the dealer's room, buy it that day.

Going to Otakon for the 1st time, last summer, I underestimated the dealer's room. I was so overwhelmed on the 1st day, didn't know what to buy, just so many things I wanted so I decided to wait a day and not worry about it. I go there Saturday and some of the things (posters, manga, figures) were sold out!

So yeah, if you must have it, chances are theres a couple thousands of other people who must have it, buy it before them.

Make sure that what you're going to buy at the dealer's room are things that you believe that can only be found in the dealer's room. Don't spend money on stuff that you know that you can buy at a local store back home. Some guys were selling playstation games for 20 bucks more than the normal retail price at the time...and none of these were games that haven't been released already at the time.

The new Dr.Who series will air in 2005

In 2001, there wasa train wreck under Baltimore which spilled a ton of chemicals, causing manhole covers to blow into the air from the gas buildup, and the entire sewer system to be flooded to get the stuff out.

yeah that year was cool.

I almost made evacuate!

Otakon made the news with you guys dancing in the streets.

Is this "Block" next to the BBC or something? :shock: I know how to defend myself but it may be good for those that don't to take special heed of where this place may be located.

Hmm.. I think I will then. o.o.. I may be going with a group of friends, though they are not sure if they will be attending. If not, and my ride feels disposed, I usually get out late nights, so I will maybe be available to give people rides to nearby hotels if need be.

I can imagine that most people will be staring at us cosplayers too. Hmm.. I remember at BAAF, when I was walking with some people who were in costume to the McDonalds across the street, no one in the streets really gave much of a second look (not even to the Wolfwoods carrying their Punishers), but THAT was New York City. We see people in costume every day. :D

HOpe there's no rain & traffic before the con Friday morning..and hope you have someone to talk to while you wait in line for Registration..or you'll be bored to tears

Its a few blocks away from the convention center. I only know of its general location (even though I live in Baltimore Co.). Just be sure to walk in groups if you can at night. Its safer and easier that way.

As for the name of the place; Just don't ask why its named that. :oops:

Could you be more specific as to where "The Block" is? North, South, East or West? Is it near the Tremont Plaza by any chance or does it expand/contract, depending on the denizens? Is there a specific street that should be avoided at night, or for that matter, in the day?

::Comes in as Mr. Lurker.::

I hate to be a pooper to keeping where "THE BLOCK" is a secret, but this is something when I was little and visited Baltimore on a regular basis when I was in a private Seventh-Day Adventist school, supervisors told me NOT to go. (It's the red light district ... and apologies for using the Otakon map...)

red-circled.jpg

It is near Primo Deli, Song's Deli, McD's, a Rite Aid, and the Brookshire Inn. Most people will NOT need to worry about getting near that block unless you're going to those places.

HOWEVER, it is just PLAIN recommended to stay with a group or at least with a group connected with Otakon when you go somewhere, especially if you're cosplaying. Avoid trying to get into the block when you can (unless you're planning a 5,000 otaku invasion through all the clubs just for giggles and fits)

P.S. locals don't hit me for revealing your secret location ;.;