Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

w-deremer

Conversions of 'normals'

This occurred to me today...

Otakon has been in Baltimore 13+ years (1999 on).  In that time, we have interacted with many different members of BCC Staff, SAFE, hotel staffs, etc.  It has been put on record that the BCC Staff loves us, and says we "dress weird, but are generally well-behaved."

I was wondering if there was a chance, through interacting with us members 3 days a year (and Otakon Staff much more) if it is known if we have managed to convert any of the BCC Staff/SAFE/Hotel Staffs etc. into anime fans as well...I am sure in that time, at least one person out of all those ppl has to have been even remotely interested in our wonderful world (and not just because of the oodles of cash our wonderful world brings into Baltimore)... (I know one of the desk people at the Days Inn years ago admitted to being an anime fan to me)

I wouldn't be surprised if we hear of an anime-loving BCC Staff member scheduling their vacation time that weekend so they can attend the con as a fan LOL! [i know BCC Staff tends to be 'older' ppl, but anime is for all ages of course...the proverbial 8-88]

When I was stationed at 18+ wristbands last year during the rave, I sat next to a security guard/maybe a policeman who would check the IDs while I prepared and applied the bracelets. He was familiar with fighting games (mostly Tekken) and had seen some DBZ but that was about it. As my shift went on we talked more and more about anime, and he started to ask cosplayers who came to our stall what show they were from, pointing out and greeting characters he recognized, etc. By the end he seemed really happy and said he couldn't wait to check out anime on his own time! It was pretty cool.

That's awesome!  I love hearing about normals accepting us or even getting into the world of anime.  :3  I can't say I've had real opportunities to convert anybody.  I'm lucky that most of my friends are into anime already, which is how we ended up becoming friends in the first place.

I'm debating if Otakon is a good or a bad tool for conversion. On one hand, total immersion. On the other, overwhelming amounts of weird to the uninitiated. We either provoke interest or scare people away

I vaguely recall seeing/breifly speaking to a BCC staff that was wandering around the indoor fountains taking pictures that he always looks forward to Otakon weekend.

No idea if he knew about anime beforehand or "converted" through Otakon though...

No idea on staff, but we've had a few while eating at various places around inner harbor, mostly from parents asking about, then their kids recognizing stuff like Hello Kitty since it's all over the place. A few i know had grabbed passes to investigate further or to please the kids, which probably means another young fan.