Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F00LY

Differences in Guidebook and Schedule

Hello!

This is my first year using guidebook - Typically which is more believable? The schedule posted on the front page with the image link ( http://www.otakon.com/otakon2013schedule.png ) or the guidebook ( http://m.guidebook.com/guide/12008/schedule/1/? ).

I ask because I noticed the schedule itself shows Bandai, but Guidebook doesn't have anything about Bandai!

Thanks!

At this point, guidebook is definitely more reliable.  The schedule online on the webpage is just a screen capture of an earlier schedule.  The guidebook schedule is a live schedule.  The one on the webpage currently is not.

The Guidebook app should in theory be the most up-to-date for schedule changes, as the schedule can update even through to the end of the convention.

It is for this reason that everyone should either use Guidebook or have a friend closeby who can!

I was also wondering something similar.

On the image of the schedule, both yaoi panels ("The Yaoi-ing Game" and "What's Queer About Yaoi?") are listed as being at the same time on the same day (Friday at midnight), but in the Guidebook, neither are anywhere to be seen on any date.  My guess was that they're trying to reschedule them so that if someone wanted to go to both, they could, but I would really like to have a more definitive answer.

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

Okay thanks! Glad Im not the only one. Yeah, for now Im pencil-ing into my schedule the Bandai from the image, but not going to have my heart set on the time until Bandai shows up finally in Guidebook.

The schedule is always subject to change between posting online and the start of the con, and it even changes during the convention (though less often)! - so make tentative plans, but know those might change in the next few days. Its sort of wait-and-see right now. 

Guidebook is always more accurate. Always rely on that. I learn that at AnimeNEXT this year when the printed schedule said that an interesting panel was in the morning but Guidebook said it was in the afternoon. I came early because I didn't know which one was correct, but a staffer there told me that it was indeed later in the day.

(printed schedules can be handy often, though)

I don't have a smartphone, but I did manage to find the Guidebook app for my tablet, so I have that and a saved image of the site schedule. I'll be sure to get a printed one when I get there too!

On the image of the schedule, both yaoi panels ("The Yaoi-ing Game" and "What's Queer About Yaoi?") are listed as being at the same time on the same day (Friday at midnight), but in the Guidebook, neither are anywhere to be seen on any date.  My guess was that they're trying to reschedule them so that if someone wanted to go to both, they could, but I would really like to have a more definitive answer.

I don't have a smartphone OR a tablet.  Allowing that these are wonderful technologies, it would be great to have a live, accurate online version, like they did only 2 years ago, for those otaku who update their info without tablets and without having to go back to 'the stone age'.

I don't have a smartphone OR a tablet.  Allowing that these are wonderful technologies, it would be great to have a live, accurate online version, like they did only 2 years ago, for those otaku who update their info without tablets and without having to go back to 'the stone age'.

Midnight and later panels aren't showing up on the Guidebook website due to some programming error. So technically right now the Guidebook iOS/Android app is the only fully reliable source.

I just received an update to guidebook about an hour ago that added all the Maid Cafe shows.

thanks, i found the event planner.  Now a NEW problem:  when I go to My Event Planner after putting in all the things I want to see (including 2nd choices) I get a copy of the entire schedule.  My goal is to print out my choices and carry it with me, like I've dot.  I've gone through this a number of times with the same result.  My goal is to print out my choices and carry it with me, like I've done in the past.  Am I missing something?  Another crash?  Thanks for any help.

How can I get a "table" view of the schedule on Guidebook?  I prefer the format given in the Otakon .PNG file (are they ever going to fix that?) but all I see in Guidebook is this really annoying list format that doesn't let me see every event at once.

I'm also hoping that the phantom Bandai panel happens.

I prefer the format given in the Otakon .PNG file (are they ever going to fix that?)

You get can get to the regular progrramming schedule via the Hours of Operation page, but tread lightly.

How can I get a "table" view of the schedule on Guidebook?  I prefer the format given in the Otakon .PNG file (are they ever going to fix that?) but all I see in Guidebook is this really annoying list format that doesn't let me see every event at once.

I'm also hoping that the phantom Bandai panel happens.

Thanks.  I'm now using the Otakon website schedule.

Not a fan of this Guidbook thing, not in the least.  Only being able to see a list view of events, and that segregated by day and time, fails for planning the con.  It's great for a "what's happening now or in the near future" at any point during the con but it sucks for every other purpose.  TBH even that purpose is better achieved by loading the Otakon tabular schedule onto my phone and scrolling the screen.  I don't even see an option to display by room, just by time and day.  This guidebook widget is feature-barren.

For the several thousand dollars that this service presumably cost Otakon I expect a bit more.  Waste of money IMHO.  Coulda gotten some more guests.

Not a fan of this Guidbook thing, not in the least.  Only being able to see a list view of events, and that segregated by day and time, fails for planning the con.  It's great for a "what's happening now or in the near future" at any point during the con but it sucks for every other purpose.  TBH even that purpose is better achieved by loading the Otakon tabular schedule onto my phone and scrolling the screen.  I don't even see an option to display by room, just by time and day.  This guidebook widget is feature-barren.

For the several thousand dollars that this service presumably cost Otakon I expect a bit more.  Waste of money IMHO.  Coulda gotten some more guests.

You actually can see events by room. Go to maps and tap on a room. That should open up a new window with the events scheduled in that room.

A crapton of people would beg to differ from your opinion but to each their own.

Explain to me how to see the time-honored "table" view of the schedule in the app and we'll see eye-to-eye on this guidebook thing.  Until then, it's throwing large sums of money at a shoddy scheduling solution; there's no way around it.  The non-schedule elements of Guidebook, like the maps and exhibitor list, are useful (even if the maps do have this ridiculous "north is south" orientation) I suppose (though not several-thousand-dollars useful) but the essence of this thing is the schedule and it is at best a suppliment to the tabular schedule...

Explain to me how to see the time-honored "table" view of the schedule in the app and we'll see eye-to-eye on this guidebook thing.  Until then, it's throwing large sums of money at a shoddy scheduling solution; there's no way around it.  The non-schedule elements of Guidebook, like the maps and exhibitor list, are useful (even if the maps do have this ridiculous "north is south" orientation) I suppose (though not several-thousand-dollars useful) but the essence of this thing is the schedule and it is at best a suppliment to the tabular schedule...

I'm not trying to start a debate or an argument here, sorry if I've offended you. It's just that I've heard almost nothing but positive feedback from the guide book app. Every one has their own opinions, ways of planing/organizing, and values everything differently and I have no choice but to respect and accept that. Like I said previously to each their own.

Yet by posting this you are not respecting and accepting that.  This is a passive-aggressive way of starting a debate or argument.  Whether you're doing it "ironically" or purposefully is something I can't answer wink.png

Speaking as one of the older generation, Guidebook is a Godsend for those who have a device that can use it. I also have used the My Planner from the web site in the past with mixed results. I personally prefer Guidebook, but that's just me.

I'm actually going to recommend this to the company I work for.