Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

freshmoves91

Coming back next year?

So this year, I had a good time at Otakon. While I had some ups and downs, I can say for sure that I'll definitely be returning next year for my third year at Otakon. I'll also be booking the same hotel for the same days which is Thursday through Sunday. So what about you?

Sadly, no, I am not planning to come back to Otakon again.

Just too many little things. Too many rude and/or uninformed staff and BCC employees. Too many schedule changes, (I understand that things happen, but how do you not have a DVD for a scheduled show? Why make people wait outside an empty room? Why, after all this time, can't you be consistent with your room clear policy? Why did you screw up the Sunday concert for so many people?)

Well, all of these things have been discussed and answered elsewhere on the forums but, to me, it seems like Otakon maybe has grown beyond the ability of volunteers to manage.

Definitely will just the same as always

Just too many little things. Too many rude and/or uninformed staff and BCC employees. Too many schedule changes, (I understand that things happen, but how do you not have a DVD for a scheduled show? Why make people wait outside an empty room? Why, after all this time, can't you be consistent with your room clear policy? Why did you screw up the Sunday concert for so many people?)

I plan on going again and hopefully staffing. It'll be my third Otakon overall and second staffing.

Year 13 for me, 12 for a couple members in my group. With any luck they will schedule an early afternoon O's game for Thursday or a Wednesday night game for us to catch before the con.

Year 13 for me, 12 for a couple members in my group. With any luck they will schedule an early afternoon O's game for Thursday or a Wednesday night game for us to catch before the con.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but are you asking for DVD recordings of shows like the Yoko/Chiaki or TMR/HMK shows? As far as I know, the policy has always been that they tape those things for internal use if at all, not for release. This goes along the same lines as why we can't take pictures/video/audio of the concerts at any time with severe repercussions. Staff could probably respond better but I would imagine it is in the contracts that they do not want outside media taken of their talent's and only want it reserved for promotional items.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but are you asking for DVD recordings of shows like the Yoko/Chiaki or TMR/HMK shows? As far as I know, the policy has always been that they tape those things for internal use if at all, not for release. This goes along the same lines as why we can't take pictures/video/audio of the concerts at any time with severe repercussions. Staff could probably respond better but I would imagine it is in the contracts that they do not want outside media taken of their talent's and only want it reserved for promotional items.

My apologies for not being clear. I didn't mean DVDs for concerts, though that would be cool. I mean that, when I go to a video room to see a certain anime I expect them to show that same anime, not have someone write on the paper outside the room that they've changed it to something else, (presumably because they didn't have the DVD).

I'll be back.

With summer plane tickets to Asia getting bloody darn expensive (no I will not pay for the ticket with my arm and leg)

Otakon has become the highlight of my summer.

Even if I don't remember most of what happened a week or two later.

I hope ya'll aren't thinking something suggestive with that last sentence...xD

I hope ya'll aren't thinking something suggestive with that last sentence...xD

That would be dope as hell. I'd love to catch an O's game Thursday afternoon.

This year was a little bit hectic, but I'll be back again next year. I still wound up having a great time.

The only reason I'd have for not going next year would be if my financial standing doesn't improve by then.  I had a really rough time making it just this year, but didn't want to back out because I was the one who made the reservations and all that jazz.

I have no reason to not want to go because I had a great time last year and this year, and think I would continue to have a good time if I'm able to go next year.  :)  Guests are pretty much irrelevant to me because I've never bothered to do concerts or autographs.  I go to cons hoping to go to awesome panels and generally have fun seeing other cosplayers and be with close friends.

I'll be back. With bells on.

The this past year was part of a transitional period, taking our first family vacation with a 1 year old. It would take a big move to stop me from going next year.

Like a birth or something similar.

biggrin.png

Since I have not been since 2009, I will damn sure be there next year (unless my finances don't get better... getting over ones eyeballs in credit card debt will do that... glad I am finally getting a handle on that).

And no matter what, I DO plan to go in 2017, just to see how Otakon evloves into 1,000,000 more square feet of con space in a new town.

Turns out this is my 7th Otakon, im definitely going the next 3 years so i can get the full decade of Otakon in Baltimore.

I think next year I'd like to manage some kind of Otakon forum meet and greet. Especially if we're having so many repeat attendees :3 always good to know who you're con'ing with.

Well, I've been attending Otakon for 20 consecutive years now. But the last few years have been kind of dicey as of late.

It all comes down to how much I can afford to spend when it comes around. I almost didn't make it this year because of my job and financial situation. Also, the hotel problem that I had at the very week of Otakon was almost the final nail (thank goodness to the powers to be saved me by having a room available at the very last minute).

Am I going back next year? It all depends if I first get a room with rates that I can afford (I stopped going to Katsucon when room rates became too expensive for what it's worth), then take it from there.

I'll be back. I've been coming to Otakon since 2003 (except a year when I was actually in Japan), and I'm a local. I plan to be local for at least another year, and my sister is an AA regular so I enjoy helping her out!

I critisize a lot on here it seems the last 2 years, but at the end of the day I still really enjoy Otakon and while there have been bad years and good years, I almost always have more good experiences then bad.

This year was year 15 for me.  I love Otakon every year and will keep coming for as long as I am having fun.  I did a few things completely different from my normal planned activities at con and had a blast. 

On Another Note: Is the move to DC definite?  I will still go but I worry about paying for a room in DC a little. 

This year was year 15 for me.  I love Otakon every year and will keep coming for as long as I am having fun.  I did a few things completely different from my normal planned activities at con and had a blast. 

On Another Note: Is the move to DC definite?  I will still go but I worry about paying for a room in DC a little. 

Guaranteed. It's happening.

I just found the ANN article.  Well, I will just have to save for longer for the room.

Otakon is the only con I attend, and while I'm considering trying Katsucon in addition at some point, I have no intention to end what's now been an annual tradition for 5 years.  

See you next time space cowboy....

Katsucon is a great convention to attend almost round the clock programming and a manageable size also by far the best hotel to go to a hotel convention.  The cosplay is some of the best.  The panels are more fan oriented.

Wouldn't miss it!  I will DEFINITELY attend for next year... it will be my 2nd Otakon!  Exciting! :D

I live in Montgomery County and Otakon is a local convention for me. I have attended every Otakon since 2003 and I don't plan to skip Otakon 2014. I've watched it grow a lot over the years, but I appreciate the focus on anime and East Asian culture that's present here. Overall, I have a good experience with the staff of the convention.

I like the focus on other things besides anime, such as (the varied) musical guests, fashion guests and even guests as out there as a rakugo performer. I love guests like Takamasa Sakurai and Roland Kelts because they talk about Japanese culture. I love going to panels hosted by the producers and directors of the shows I love. I enjoy listening to people talk about the work that goes into making the shows great. I also find Otakon to be a trendsetting convention because they're always looking to push the envelope in the guests they get.

My tastes don't match with my friends (who attend Otakon to people watch or attend panels about ninjas and Avatar; that's fine, but not what I'm looking for), which means I often have no one to attend events with or someone to be really excited about a musical guest with before the convention (getting to meet TMR, HMKU, YOSHIKI, MELL, Naomi Tamura and countless other artists in person over the years has been a real treat for me that I wouldn't be able to realize otherwise). Still, I always meet someone in line to be excited with.

I will continue to go to Otakon because the convention has a reputation for getting good guests, treating those guests well and overall, being a convention I look forward to attending. I have gone to other local conventions and they have their place, but they just don't have the same feel. Otakon has a balance of what I want and what I didn't know I wanted to see. Otakon has reached 20 years and has come of age, so attending a convention that is almost the same age as myself is kind of exciting. I'm very excited for 2014 and maybe this will be the year I finally gofer at some point.

In the end, I think every convention has its quirks, but the experience I have at Otakon (this year was Line-Con for me though!) is like no other. The good points outweigh the bad 99 to 1.

Considering todays hotel snafu, attendees acting like total doucehats more then usual and otakon starting to cater to the speshul snowflake demographic, after not going this year, I may just switch to colossalcon and wait till the dc move.

Hotel snafu? Jerk attendees? I meet jerk attendees every year at every convention (as few as that may be) that I attend. It sounds like you had a worse experience with people than I did, which is too bad. I'm also not sure what you mean by the "snowflake demographic."

While the attendance has grown, I think Otakon is a really special place. That's why I'm returning.

Lets just say it it involves the fourth floor, some grey paint, dishwasher soap, writing on the walls and other such rise in the rate of the shenanigans.

The hotels this year? Read the thread about how the link was leaked Friday, but no one mentioned it here.

Speshul snowflakes? If you don't know what I am talking about, just enjoy that you don't know :P

If we can afford it, my girlfriend and I will return next year...BUT....we agreed it'll mainly be to enjoy the cosplays, photoshoots, and all-around great friends (new and old) who make convention experiences great!

We are staying as far away from big panels, world premiere screenings, main events, and guest signings, as possible. They're way too stressful for us and they didn't appear to be very well-handled for our first year at Otakon.

Aside from that, we hope to return next year and reunite with our fellow Naruto cosplayer friends!!!!

I've been saying for the last year or two that I may take a break from Otakon because I'm falling out of anime/manga and find more to do at sci-fi/fantasy cons... and yet I still had a blast this year! I went solo for the first time, volunteered, and commuted in and out of the city each day yet still had a ton of fun. 

And, honestly, with Otakon gearing up to leave in a couple of years, I may go these last Baltimore years just to get my fill of it before Otakon moves to DC, since it's currently very unlikely my friends and I will follow it to the new location.

So at the moment, I just can't seem to break the habit that is Otakon tongue.png

The decision of whether or not to return next year will depend entirely on if Otakon finally decides to put a cap on attendance. For the amount of money we spend to go to Otakon, I'd rather go somewhere else rather than spend 80% of the con standing in lines.

Next year will be my 11th consecutive Otakon. Yes, I will be coming back.

This will be year 4 for me. Hotel is booked and room filled. 3 of my 6 cosplays are finished. Just need to raise the money for the room and wait.

Next year will be my 5th Otakon, and I will keep on going even after the move to DC. Out of the four conventions I regularly attend, Otakon is the best of them. Each year I've been going, there has always been numerous guests I have wanted to go see, and plenty to do around the con when it comes to programming.

Another thing that keeps me coming is that Otakon gets J-Music guests that I listen to regularly, and being a huge music aficionado, I love that. Getting to see those guests perform live is just amazing. Not only that, the con in general is more organized than some I've been to.

Otakon just never fails to impress me with everything they bring every year.

I talked to the bf and another friend who would have gone with us and at least us three in our group are thinking we may skip next year or go to a different con that's more affordable.  We're dirt poor at the moment and it's hard to imagine recovering enough by then, even if it is almost a whole year away.  I'd rather see how things pan out over time and reevaluate later.  I think I'm going to only look into hotels/pre-reg if I reach a point where I can afford it comfortably, because this year was so tight that I probably would have benefited from not going.

Unsure; the family and I have talked about the top $ amount we'll pay before we say "Sayonara, Otakon".  It may well hit that point by the time it moves to DC.  After the price, we'll review guests and panels.  If there's nothing of interest, we'll probably skip it, agreeing that it's ridiculous to spend $70-80 to stand in line 80% of the time.

I've been going to Otakon since 2001, but I feel that this year was my last as it's gotten to big to enjoy. I agree with the above poster that it is ridiculous to spend $70+ to stand in line 80% of the time. I liked Otakon better when it was below the 20,000 level as it was easier to attend panels & events. Having to wade through thousands of peeps to get from one event to another has gotten both frustrating & tiring. Plus having arthritis makes constant standing all the more painful. Guess it's time for me to retire from the big con scene.

As long as Otakon keeps getting guests I want to see, I'll keep coming back.

Will be back next year for sure, for my first Otakon experience it had its ups and downs but overall I had a blast! Am going to try to get some people to come with me next year tho, winded up going by myself this time.