Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zero

Doing Otakon inexpensively

So this idea has been rattling around my head since I spent all of $100 for Otakon this year (not including registration, coming from Upstate NY) and I want to share my advice around. Before I put together everything, I want to know if anybody here has something to contribute.

Topics to cover:

Hotels, Transportation, Food, Water

I've been considering, if I make it next year, that I may want to look into using a train.  I'm not sure if that will be feasible from GA (where I'll be living by then), so it would be expensive and suckish to have to drive and pay for gas all the way there and back, PLUS like 80 bucks parking all weekend.

For people closer to Baltimore, I think a train is a good idea because you're no longer worrying about gas or parking, only train fare.

There's also spending a smaller amount of money stocking up on food you can bring and making food like sandwiches or something similar all weekend instead of buying food out.  Having to buy every meal out in Baltimore really adds up and took up most of what we spent, because I bought literally almost nothing in dealer's and AA.

I wouldn't drive from georgia, but the train may be more than you're expecting. the amtrak is ridiculously overpriced, at least in the northeast corridor. greyhound or megabus might be cheaper options

Work 20+ hours as a gofer:

You get Membership reimbursement, partial hotel reimbursement, food vouchers for every 4 hours you work.

Only thing you have to worry about is Thursday night food, sometimes breakfast, water (although almost every panel room in BCC has water dispensers anyway), how to get to and leave Baltimore, and the remainder of the hotel cost that isn't covered by the reimbursement.

And of course any stuff you buy in the Dealer's room.

Technically.... minus my dealer room purchases. You could calculate that I only spent around $50-75 the whole weekend. (Because the rest of my/our hotel cost is paid off with help of other gofers that work enough for hotel reimbursement as well & my dad drops us off/ picks us up from Baltimore every year --We live within Maryland though)

....however even THAT might be an overestimate because I like to splurge and eat at the nice breakfast buffet inside Holiday's Inn. If I actually cared about saving money I could instead go buy some microwave stuff from CVS or buy/bring instant noodles or something.

Get three friends to share a campsite with you.

https://plus.google.com/108965179752286963374/

Pro: Only $25 a night. Comes with a Shower House you can walk up to. They also have sites with electricity.

You can also have a fire, maybe. The non-electric sites are not that big, so you may not have the room for it.

You can bring a camping stove and food from home in an ice box.

Split four ways that's 8.25 a person.

Con: It might rain.

anti-con: anime convention. you will fit right in.... awkward.

at least 20 minutes away drive from baltimore. Parking nightmare once you get into Maltimore!

anti-con: you can drive to a metro station with easy / free parking, ride the metro in

If you really want a cheap hotel there are like dozens of no Tell Motel type places out on rt 40.

usually 60-70 bucks a night and you can catch various bus lines in...

Dukes is probably the best of them but you can also try The El Rich, The Rosedale Motel, the Motel Carlton, and the Colonial Motel...

Just ignore the hookers pimps and the dealers.  ya know unless you are looking for that kinda thing.

Share a room with a lot of people. You could spend as little as $70 for the whole weekend as your share of the bill. 

If you really want a cheap hotel there are like dozens of no Tell Motel type places out on rt 40.

usually 60-70 bucks a night and you can catch various bus lines in...

Dukes is probably the best of them but you can also try The El Rich, The Rosedale Motel, the Motel Carlton, and the Colonial Motel...

You could also save on travelling by taking boltbus, megabus, one of the low-fare buses.

I've caught a $2 ride from NYC to DC (with a stop in baltimore).

However, to do this, you must book your trip months in advance, but the bus comapnies also do not allow you to book too far in advance.

I wouldn't drive from georgia, but the train may be more than you're expecting. the amtrak is ridiculously overpriced, at least in the northeast corridor. greyhound or megabus might be cheaper options