Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Otakutopian

Otakon and the Olympics on 2024?

With all the talk of Baltimore and/or Washington being candidates for the host city for the 2024 Olympics; and with Otakon moving to DC for at least 5 years starting in 2017, I was wondering if the Olympics will affect Otakon in any way...assuming either of the cities becomes the host of course. Maybe have members of the Asian teams appear. Though that affect the Olympics in some way. Just thought I should bring it up. Especially with the 2020 Olympics host city being announced already. (It's Tokyo by the way.)

part of the reason why I've brought this up is because, for some reason (coincidence or otherwise), some of the last few Summer Olympics' began (or at least happened) during Otakon for their years. Example: the 2008 Olympics actually began at the weekend of Otakon (which also saw the unfortunate passings of Issac Hayes and Bernie Mac, which I'm sure WERE a coincidence). But anyway, just thought I should bring this up too.

The Odds of DC/Baltimore Getting the Olympics are about as good as Madrid getting them in 2020.

The infrastructure/Space Planning and budget constraints would be impossible to overcome.

Well I figured that this would be a huge matter of "IF" the Olympics will ever come to the area.  I didn't really think that it would be for sure.  Just wishing thinking I guess.

Forget about the 1980s US hockey team.  Having the Olympics in the Baltimore/DC area would be the real miracle.