Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xHideyoshix117

Armor/display weapon use?

Question

Well, i have many ideas this year, but one of them i have a question about. Since this cosplay was one of my best 3, I decided to go as a templar knight from the crusades. I know some anime feature knights and specifically the Templar Order. So, i have been wondering, am i allowed to wear real armor as part of the cosplay costume? 

Example: Gauntlet, Helm, Chainmail.

Pic of Cosplay:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4773413833503&set=pb.1840266454.-2207520000.1395068670.&type=3&theater

4 answers to this question

Hi guys! Full metal armor would not be allowed inside the BCC during Otakon, as it is considered to be live steel. Also keep in mind that any real sword which can be removed from its sheath is also banned, regardless of whether or not it has been dulled. Dostovei Illuminas has posted our a link to weapons guide, so be sure to take a look at that and if you have any other questions don't be afraid to ask. If at con you're not sure everything is Kosher, please come check with Access Control Staff, but I highly recommend asking before you get to Otakon as it always sucks to have to tell somebody that they can't use part of their cosplay. Our location will be listed in the convention program. Good luck with your cosplay!

Once again, our weapons policy is listed here.

Apparently metal armor falls under the "no live steel" rule for weapons. It's specifically called out under the convention policies on the website:

http://www.otakon.com/policies.asp#weapons

•NO LIVE STEEL will be permitted on the premises of the BCC, without exception. Live steel is defined as:

◦Swords, bayonets, and knives (regardless of whether or not they are sheathed)

◦Star knives and shuriken

◦Metal armor, including chainmail (some exceptions may apply. Please check with Access Control)

◦Other objects made of metal which can take an edge. This holds true regardless of whether the object is actually sharp.

◦Metal studs on costumes or other metal components of costumes/props may also be subject to approval by Otakon.

So unless somebody in Access Control buys off on it, looks like metal armor is out.

Just Check with Access control ... they are probably going to look at weight and edges and things to that nature . 

Well, i have many ideas this year, but one of them i have a question about. Since this cosplay was one of my best 3, I decided to go as a templar knight from the crusades. I know some anime feature knights and specifically the Templar Order. So, i have been wondering, am i allowed to wear real armor as part of the cosplay costume? 

Example: Gauntlet, Helm, Chainmail.

Pic of Cosplay:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4773413833503&set=pb.1840266454.-2207520000.1395068670.&type=3&theater