Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paperbands

Survival Food

This is going to be my first time at at con this year! I'm staying for 3 nights with a few friends. As the cheap asians we are, we're thinking of bringing our own non-perishable food to eat instead of eating out every meal [we might eat out once or twice]. We know that we could survival on instant noodles all three nights, but we're looking for healthier, more nutritious food! 

Does anyone have any NUTRITIOUS food suggestions [non-perishable, please] that they will bring to the con to eat in the morning, night, etc?

Also, on a side note, what are some need-to-bring items [not food] that veterans feel like everyone needs to bring? Thanks!  

Non-perishable and healthy. The only thing that comes to mind is Nori, buy lots of Nori.

When money was tight, I used to bring instant oatmeal to eat for breakfast, and a variety of Chef Boyardee's canned pasta I'll eat for lunch/dinner. If I know that my room is going to have a fridge, I will also bring in some bread, cereal, enough cold cuts to last me the whole weekend, milk and juice. 

My room has no microwave and only an ice box and a water boiler, haha. I'll def bring some cereal and nori though, thanks! 

Oh, one other idea. Bread, peanut butter, and jelly. :)

Oh, one other idea. Bread, peanut butter, and jelly. smile.png

Oh, one other idea. Bread, peanut butter, and jelly. smile.png

Can that last 3 days in a stuffy, maybe not air-conditioned room? :> 

Peanut butter and bread require no refrigeration.  Jelly should be refrigerated after opening, but an ice chest would keep it plenty cool.

Fresh fruit, especially apples and oranges (since they can take a bit more of a beating), would be my recommendation for healthy food requiring no cooking or refrigeration.

I used to bring a cooler with some sliced meats, cheese and vegetables. Bought some bread at a nearby store and was set. 

Oatmeal, granola bars, nabs (that's packages of peanut butter crackers for you northeners) and easy mac cups are usually in my skiving snack box.

If I know I'm getting a microwave and fridge, I bring pasta and sauce, tomato soup and rice cups. And a case of water.

Whatever's left over on Sunday, I give away to con ops because the skiving snack box is usually my skiving swag box on the trip home. :3

Healthy Food -

Tuna Kits (the kinds that are pre-mixed with the mayo in the cans - these do not require refrigeration prior to openeing) and come with crackers - spoon etc

Cut up veggie sticks like Carrot Sticks

Whole Apples

Multi-Vitamins :D

Case of Bottled Water for your room - dehydration is not your friend

And you asked about other recommended items -

If you cosplay - bring things to repair accidental damage to your cosplay - Thread & Needle - Duck Tape - Crazy Glue - Safety Pins - etc

Swim Suits - if your hotel has a pool - seems like many people do not think of that

Bring at least some cash with you - the ATMs closest to the BCC have been known to run out of cash on some days during the con

Bag to carry your purchases around the con / or home from the con - Some people use the drawstring backpacks - but the crumple re-useable food shopping bags are great too.

And bring your smile - you will have a GREAT time at the con!

I believe I can help. ^_^

I would check, if you haven't already, if your hotel offers a mini fridge to guests. Some do, and it's becoming more and more popular to have one in your room! If they do, you can actually bring perishable foods with you if you want.

Otherwise, breads, snack cakes, crackers, these all fit the bill. Sadly those are all mostly junkfood options... so here's a solution if you can swing it.

I come from Upstate NY (Syracuse) each year, this will be my 12th or so Otakon. What I do is I usually have a cooler (I actually have 2 strictly for Otakon or roadtrips to Toledo to visit my fiance's family) and these are actually cheap- you can get a decent sized cooler for about 20 dollars at most stores and a bag of ice for about 2 bucks depending on where you get it.

I take perishable items (deli meats, cooked meats, miricle whips, mayo, etc) with me. I just put them in gallon zip lock bags and put them in the cooler with a bag of ice to keep them cool. ALL hotels have an ice maker and offer free ice to guests, so when I get to my hotel, my items are still cold (it's only about 6 and a half to 7 hours to Baltimore from Syracuse, just down 81 to 83 and straight in we go!) and viola! fresh ice at the hotel to keep stuff cool! The ziplock bags also keep water out and keep things from getting wet. I've brought all the necessary items for making healthy wraps before... Heck, if you bring a plug-in skillet (also easily and cheaply obtainable- new ones about $30 and if you're OK with it, cheap ones that are used litter every thrift store or garage sail abound waiting for you!) and now you have even more options. You can now take FROZEN MEATS and have them thaw on your trip up and act as edible ice blocks for anything else you want to bring and when you're in for the night at the hotel and your stomach is finally being noticed after the crazy day of con has come and gone, heck, you can do just about anything, from making stir fries to hamburgers, the sky is the limit! 

Just take Otakon like a crazy camping trip and plan like you would for a camp! Bring your own water and stuff and save big $ on 'necessities' and spend that saved cash in the dealers room or artist alley where it belongs!

Hope this helps! :3

A couple Clif bars in the morning would keep me going until well into the afternoon. Any kind of granola is a godsend when you start to feel hungry but you either don't have time to or don't quite want to eat a whole meal yet, and in case enough people haven't said it yet... water, water, water!

Might I suggest Soylent? It's kindof bland but it's balanced to be nutritional and fast.  (Not made of people)

Here's what I usually being with me to stuff into my con bag:

- tins of vienna sausage

- peanut butter crackers

- some sort of fruit cup(oranges or applesauce -- either way, vitamin C!)

- pudding cups(because aww yiss sugar)

YMMV on this, but you could either snack on something like this throughout the day, or make sort of an ersatz lunch out of it.

(sorry for double posting, but it won't let me edit my post -- stupid time limit!).

additional: the items I listed might not be the MOST healthy, but they tend to have something of a longish shelf life. Again, YMMV.

Hard boiled eggs can be made in the water boiler. Will last fresh several hours. Eat these first when in the convention center. Maybe you can bring a small cool pack lunch boxes have?

Oatmeal with dried fruit tossed in boiler. Very filling.

Apples are sturdy and bags of baby carrots. Bonus fiber for keeping cool.

If you want to go hardcore Asian, the aseptic packs of non-refrigerated soft tofu can be eaten like yogurt with a spoon. Not strongly flavored, but a protein source. I add sesame oil and soy sauce if I feel like it, though eating it plain is pretty good

Beef jerkey, Stone Fruits, Apples. bottled water. Airag/Kumis

Bring Nuts, they are a protien and they will last longer so you do not get as hungry fast. try not to eat sweet as food consumption beacuse they get digested frist and then your hungry.

I used to bring rice and my rice cooker and make onigiri to carry around con (for myself and people in the room). as long as you use all you cook, there's no problems. and you can put canned fish inside or just go with whatever whimsy you'd like. Rice is super filling for me. You just need to own a rice cooker.  (stopped doing because of laziness)