Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alabaster

Alabaster's Q&A (NOT guest requests!)

I'll keep that in mind. 

Do you think there's 100 people who'd come to the panel?

Keep in mind the baseline cost to bring ANY guest from japan is about $4k - $10k depending on the airfare required.

If I drop $10k and 20 people attend their panel, that's a pretty poor rate of return. Lucky for all of us, that's not the ONLY factor, but there's a reason why I'm so willing to bring guests (especially Japanese guests) related to currently hot shows -- they're much more likely to be actively supported by industry (sometimes in terms of access, sometimes in terms of costs), and they're much more likely to attract an audience.

Yeah, I totally understand the interest in those types of guests and everything else involved. I mean, that's why there's Power Morphicon, haha.

I'll keep that in mind. 

Do you think there's 100 people who'd come to the panel?

Keep in mind the baseline cost to bring ANY guest from japan is about $4k - $10k depending on the airfare required.

If I drop $10k and 20 people attend their panel, that's a pretty poor rate of return. Lucky for all of us, that's not the ONLY factor, but there's a reason why I'm so willing to bring guests (especially Japanese guests) related to currently hot shows -- they're much more likely to be actively supported by industry (sometimes in terms of access, sometimes in terms of costs), and they're much more likely to attract an audience.

If you choose the right guest from tokusatu actors or actresses it would work well.

Just for a recent example, Jason David Frank had to turn people away from autographs in his third autograph session of the weekend.

A recent Kamen Rider(*cough Takeru Sato with Kenshin 2 and 3 next year *cough) or Sentai actor would be a good bet, or a legendary one, Shout Factory is just getting to releasing Zyuranger this year and the red from that show is going to Power Morphicon, and he is involved with the marquee event of the con(MEETING OF THE RED RANGERS ZOMG I WISH I COULD GO).

There is interest, just look at the crowd for your tokusatus panels at the con and Jason David Frank's popularity.

I don't think it's fair to compare Jason David Frank, who was on the US side of Power Rangers and very visible to a lot of kids in the 90s and 00s to his Japanese counterparts, who, frankly, were not.  Yeah, Jason is going to get a lot of people, especially since he has such an active fan base still, but the Japanese actors were and are not as visible here stateside unless people were to actively seek them out.  Yeah there would be an interest but it wouldn't be nearly as large a crowd as someone like Jason David Frank would pull in.

Yeah, comparing Jason David Frank to even Yuta Mochizuki is a bit of a stretch. How many kids in the 1990's in America saw Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers? Almost all of them. Now, how many of those kids cared enough as adults to track down the Japanese counterpart, watch it and then recognize the actor of Tyrannoranger? significantly less than one percent is my guess. There's also the difference of what Jason David Frank does and what Yuta Mochizuki does. Jason David Frank is essentially a huge social media nerd who constantly posts every facet of his life onto facebook, twitter and instagram at the same time to the point that he posts every new pair of Gucci shoes and Luis Vuitton bag he buys, on top of going to a convention essentially every week to host panels, signings and photo ops. Yuta Mochizuki is... going to Power Morphicon. Oh, and he and a few other Zyuranger actors did some show in a tiny venue where indie visual kei bands play in Tokyo like a week ago. I haven't heard of him doing anything else like... ever.

Okay, I think you guys get the implications of what I was saying: there are many factors that go into guest selection (it's an art, not a science), and it's all too easy to mistake personal interest or even the interest of likeminded friends as being MUCH more representative than they are.

There's maybe 200 or so really active members on this BBS, and only about 20-30 staffers who routinely participate here, of which only a handful are in a position to speak for the con.  That's a tiny subset of just this year's pre-registered members.

There are 45000 subscribers to our facebook page and there are probably 50-60,000 people who have at one point been Otakon members.  The vast majority do not participate in feedback, so you have to be careful when you assume others share your views. :)

On the note of panel attendance for GOH...

A little bit of marketing goes a long way. Just as an anecdote, when I went to ANext this year I noticed that the panel labeled "Studio Trigger: Kill la Kill panel" was packed (like, the line was more than twice the largest panel room's capacity), even if it's just two animators sharing random WIPs to bunch of kids. The same kind of a panel at a con more than twice ANext's size would typically draw maybe 200 people tops. Western fans typically don't know names of animators unless they are a fan of the actual animation part of anime, and that's a rare thing. What draws people is recognition that "so-and-so worked on some show I liked." So unless it's a well-known guest, I think "[name]: Q&A" is going to be selling the guest short, not because people don't want to see these GOHs, but because they don't even know why they would want to go to such a panel. It's not like we're all a smart phone away from a google search on a name or anything, so having that tidbit of marketing in the schedule is a big plus IMO, because for whatever the reason we don't live in a world where people look up everything they don't 100% know, just so they could know that they might be interested in this GOH content.

That said, I don't know what Otakon can do to solve this problem. Part of this depends on the guest as well. I do know it might have to do with better panel names.

On the note of panel attendance for GOH...

A little bit of marketing goes a long way. Just as an anecdote, when I went to ANext this year I noticed that the panel labeled "Studio Trigger: Kill la Kill panel" was packed (like, the line was more than twice the largest panel room's capacity), even if it's just two animators sharing random WIPs to bunch of kids. The same kind of a panel at a con more than twice ANext's size would typically draw maybe 200 people tops. Western fans typically don't know names of animators unless they are a fan of the actual animation part of anime, and that's a rare thing. What draws people is recognition that "so-and-so worked on some show I liked." So unless it's a well-known guest, I think "[name]: Q&A" is going to be selling the guest short, not because people don't want to see these GOHs, but because they don't even know why they would want to go to such a panel. It's not like we're all a smart phone away from a google search on a name or anything, so having that tidbit of marketing in the schedule is a big plus IMO, because for whatever the reason we don't live in a world where people look up everything they don't 100% know, just so they could know that they might be interested in this GOH content.

That said, I don't know what Otakon can do to solve this problem. Part of this depends on the guest as well. I do know it might have to do with better panel names.

Yay, just one week out now!  BTW, it looks like I can make Ray Villard's panel yes.

I had and still hear so much about all this last-minute prep that goes into the con, both Otakon goers, and Otakorp staff.  There are many [material] items, but I was curious as to what you guys (both staff & members) think is the most stressful item to take care of this close to the convention.  For me it's getting all my finances in a row.  Even though I can just take Lucy the Light Rail up there from where I live, I feel that just having the right amount of $$$ can make a world of difference.  Planning for food is another for me.

The schedule. Building the schedule is like setting up a game of Jenga, in the dark, with a remote control robot and three people who can't see what the other is doing all trying to set their priorities. The minute it's finished, you start pulling out individual pieces to fix conflicts and you hope to hell your piece doesn't make the thing fall over.

Then you send it out and people immediately complain about stuff you can't control, or have no alternative way to make work. They typically assume you put no thought into it because ONE thing they really want conflicts with another.

Ironically, our tools for it have gotten better but the event overall has become more complex, so it's still a chore.

But man, it's satisfying to see a nice full schedule grid.

Sentai does have an Industry booth as Section23 Films, but there's no Industry panel from them...yet. I hope they do say something about that.

As for naming a Light Rail Lucy, she's part of the tales I'm looking to self-pub soon.

My understanding is that the person repping Sentai had a family event prevent him from coming.  But we're still showing some of their stuff (they do have great stuff) and expect them back next year.

My understanding is that the person repping Sentai had a family event prevent him from coming.  But we're still showing some of their stuff (they do have great stuff) and expect them back next year.

My understanding is that the person repping Sentai had a family event prevent him from coming. But we're still showing some of their stuff (they do have great stuff) and expect them back next year.

Thanks. It's a disappointment to be sure but stuff happens.

On a slightly related note, why is it that the industry dealers aren't still bringing their ostentatious displays to Otakon? If I weren't seeing them at AX and CC year after year then I might think that the industry had to stop them. I'm not even referring to the truly grandiose stuff like Sentai's working tank or the shaved ice truck (after the 2011 matsuri incident, would such even be possible?) but just the industry booths in the dealers rooms. The industry guests have been bringing the same "game" to the massive otakon that they bring to much smaller cons. It wasn't always like this so what gave?

Thanks.  It's a disappointment to be sure but stuff happens.

On a slightly related note, why is it that the industry dealers aren't still bringing their ostentatious displays to Otakon?  If I weren't seeing them at AX and CC year after year then I might think that the industry had to stop them.  I'm not even referring to the truly grandiose stuff like Sentai's working tank or the shaved ice truck (after the 2011 matsuri incident, would such even be possible?) but just the industry booths in the dealers rooms.  The industry guests have been bringing the same "game" to the massive otakon that they bring to much smaller cons.  It wasn't always like this so what gave?

Short answer: Because when they display at SDCC, they are competing for attention with much better funded booths. And the main reason is still the same: money.  Marketing budgets have been cut as the economics have shifted.  And finally, their big booths are *at* comiccon -- shipping them cross country is simply too expensive.

WE nearly had a tank, too -- up until almost the last minute.  It was a lucky surprise that made it work in LA, but you have to remember that we don't have the film industry parked out back to draw on. Despite that, we found one, but I think it was already booked or couldn't get here quickly enough.

Sadly what Sentai has brought to AX these past 2 years is spectacle at a level not seen at Otakon since the days of Geneon.

Call it nostalgic, maybe even romantic, but I miss the days when the industry presence in the Otakon dealers' room was on a level that only a con like AX could rival, the years when the industry booths were ornate and had wall-sized promo ads for their hottest new titles.  Nowadays, what Funi and Sentai bring to Otakon is pretty much what they bring to any other non-AX anime con.  There are regular dealers at Otakon with more awesome booths than Sentai's...

You guys ever for a tongue in cheek humor reach out and/or considered to invite Hideo Kojima as a guest of honor considering he uses Otakon's name in the Metal Gear Solid series? 

Does anyone know if the Yoshiki drawing has been held yet? I am originally only planning to be there Friday evening and Saturday. I entered my number through the website and it says I didn't win any lotteries.

Does anyone know if the Yoshiki drawing has been held yet? I am originally only planning to be there Friday evening and Saturday. I entered my number through the website and it says I didn't win any lotteries.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this question, but the drawing states entrants have until Wednesday to enter. So, no, there can't have been a drawing yet.

That must have changed since last night. It said originally Sunday the 3rd at 11:59 PM. Then, we probably won't find out until Thursday then.

Indeed, it changed last week as part of the concert trip that Yoshiki wanted to offer up as a prize to concert attendees.

You guys ever for a tongue in cheek humor reach out and/or considered to invite Hideo Kojima as a guest of honor considering he uses Otakon's name in the Metal Gear Solid series? 

We've been in contact.  They gave us stuff to give away, we name check each other (them in the credits, us in our program book -- look for the scientific advisor on the staff list), and yeah, we've reached out.  Timing hasn't really been conducive yet.