Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dpakstis

Trouble with Hotel Reservations, anyone else too?

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone else was having trouble with getting charged for a room that was canceled that they booked through the otakon website. They say they never got my cancelation, even though I canceled in May in favor of a room better suited to my group. Now the hotel website says I never canceled but the hotel (the Lord Baltimore) is saying I'm not even in their system and I don't have reservations there, but I'm still getting charged for the room. So I guess my question is really did this ever happen to anyone before? I'd it happening to anyone now? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Sorry if I'm bothering anyone and thanks for any suggestions anyone has! I just don't have the money to be giving up for rooms I don't have!

If you booked through Otakon's vendor (experient) and cancelled in may, the hotel never had your reservation. Experient only transfered that information to the hotels last week. The people you need to talk to about the charge are experient, as that's who the charge went to. Call them at 866-229-2386. You also should have gotten an email when the cancellation went through, so dig through your email for that to proof there's no rez.

See the thing is I never got a cancelation email. I guess that is my fault. But the reservation disappeared from where it has the list of the reservations on the website, so I thought it was just canceled that way. But also I called the hotel when the charges showed up, which was July 24th, and Experient said I never canceled (which I did, but I feel like maybe there was technical issues involved.) but I've been calling everyday since then just to see if they have a record of me at the hotel, because if I did make a mistake in the cancelation process, that would mean I had reservations with the hotel. But the hotel says they don't have reservations in my name at all. So that's why I'm confused. If I did have reservations through Eperient, the hotel shoukd have them by now right? That's why I went to the hotel first. But thank you! That was good advice though! And thank you for helping!

Either way it sounds like the cancellation never happened, whether you forgot a step or it was a glitch. If they don't let you cancel should at least find the original confirmation email and make sure you get the room rather than being charged for nothing. As a last ditch effort you could potentially find someone to take the room off of you on the otakon room board and transfer the reservation's name to them. For now i'd say keep fighting with experient to get the charge taken off.

Yeah, I was thinking there was some issue in the cancelation. But that's a good idea about the room board! Thanks so much for your help! I really do appreciate it!

I was worried about something similar and found out something more interesting...

Experient sent my first name and last name to the hotel (that I AM planning to stay at) backwards *MAJOR FACEPALMS*

proves that it's always safe to double check...

Thanks for that! Because as of today Experient is saying I have reservations and the hotel is saying I don't exist. It's a wonderful time now that I have people that will take the reservation from me if they do exist. I just want to make sure the room is there now! On a related note does anyone know if you can transfer a reservation to another person's name? Sorry for asking all these questions! I'm just really excited that all the otakon goers are so helpful! It's nice!

Once the hotel has the reservation all you should need to is call the front desk and ask them to either change the name to the person you're giving it to or add them to the account. Once that name is on the reservation they should be able to give their id and credit card (for incidentals) to check in. If there's something else you need to do the hotel should be able to tell you on the phone. 

While It shouldn't be a problem and I wouldn't recommend this option even if it is, you could technically check in for the person you giver the room to and then hand them over the keys. That puts all the financial liability on you if they break stuff or forget to check out in time, so once again better to not be your name and credit card on the hotel's file.

Most important detail you need to work out is how to get paid by the person you're handing the room off to. I've only ever transferred a room to friends before so I don't know how that's usually worked out.