Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CI78

Anime Biology 101 Panel

Question

Hello Everyone,

Let me start by saying thank you to everyone that came my Anime Biology 101 panel.  I want to know what you guys thought about the panel,  Comments, criticisms, suggestions, all are welcome.  Also for those of you who missed it this is the link for my anime science blog.

http://animescience101.blogspot.com/

Again I'd like to hear from you guys so next time I can focus in on the series and topics you want to see covered.

Chris

10 answers to this question

I wasn't able to make it myself, but my friend who isn't active on the forums did and said it was a very good panel. He mentioned the explanations of why blood can't rocket out of your body at high velocity and how having kids with aliens would work as being particularly good.

I unfortunately couldn't make it to the panel, since I had to be somewhere else at the time, but I would very much appreciate you coming next year so me and other con goers can enjoy the panel. :)

I attended the panel. 

I got my Bachelors in Biology in 2011.

What about the implication of a retrovirus when talking about chimeras?  You could add traits of other species but the overall genetic structure would be the same so they may not get rejected?

I attended the panel, There were some things I already knew, such as why blood doesn't shoot out like a fire-hose but the blue hair being possible threw me for a loop. Why aren't we funding that?  

I attended with some friends and we all enjoyed it.  I'd love to see a more advanced version (Biology 201 biggrin.png )...I know it has to cater to all levels but I felt like I was aware of most of what was discussed (though not necessarily when applied to anime).  Next time you could do a case study on all the weirdness surrounding cryogenic sleep/comas which seems to happen a lot (e.g. Faye Valentine).  Can people be kept in a "coma" without their body degenerating?  When they wake up will they have any idea that time has passed?  Will they be susceptible to any new diseases/conditions that have arisen since they might not have the necessary immunities? 

Thanks for all of the feed back everyone and I would love to come back to Otokan again next year.  Also what do you guys think of trying to do a seperate panel for anime chemistry and or physics

I'm gonna try and answer your questions briefly guys, but you did give me some ideas for my anime science blog so expect to see them fleshed out more in the future

Deathnote666- Yes a retrovirus would theoretically work to insert DNA into our genome, its what they are currently looking at as part of a cure for cystic fibrosis.  Now as for inserting animal DNA, A it has to insert into the right space in the DNA, B it has to actually be used by the cell in question.  If the cell isn't using that part of DNA it won't change anything, C it has to not change the cell so much that it causes a immune system rejection, D it can't also mess up other parts of the cell physiology.  Overall I would rate your idea as because the DNA would be to different and cause problems on a cellular level if it was ever activated, and I am assuming your talking about species that are not closely related, like splicers from Batman beyond.

Nicky- I do not know why we are not funding research into permanently changing our hair color. Personally I could go for pink (Lacus Cline) or a nice blue

(Kaname Chidori)

Zambixi- The hard part to doing a Biology 201 panel would be not knowing the background level of knowledge of the audience but I might be able to make a few examples a little more complex for the science minded in the future.  Now cryogenics in anime is an excellent avenue of discussion which might be my next blog post so mad props for the idea.  Cyrogenics is an ongoing realm of research with a fair bit of psuedo science still in it.  However we have discovered a frog which naturally undergoes cryogenesis Rana sylvatica.  So I might be able to put down cryogenics as plausible but I haven't looked into it enough yet.  Now coma patients do not have any idea of time passing or how much time has past and there is some weirdness if they have been in a coma a long time, but again let me do the research.  As for their deterioration during a coma then yes it will happen the body doesn't like being in a coma and there will be muscle atrophy.  There are treatments to slow the degeneration but nothing close to what is seen in anime.  (I'm assuming you are referring to SAO here and I need to watch that show)  The immunity one is very simple, and the answer is yes, but it is dependent on how long they were in a coma.  Here is a real life example, the last time swine flu really hit the US hard was in the late 70s.  Now when it hit again several years ago it was the younger kids who got nailed since they were never exposed to it, but the older ones were fine.  A coma patient who missed the 70's outbreak but later woke up would have been at risk.  If you are speaking of an even longer time say with cryogenics then it can also be a risk since that individual would be from an earlier time period, and would lack the more recently evolved protections.

Once again thanks for all the feedback guys and if you saw the blog let me know what you think

Me and my brother attended, I thought it was pretty funny. I also must commend you for speaking clearly and being easy to hear. As a member of the hearing impaired I rarely have any idea what a panelist is saying and rely heavily on visual aids such as your well done power point. It also felt reassuring to know that alien fantasy that floats into my head occasionally isn't crazy talk. laugh.png

actually Blue/Purple hair is sometimes noted in humanity but its not a Blue like For instance Otakon  blue or Ravens purple but usually a blue black/Purple black that is rare but does happen. I went to basic training with a young lady who got a lot of ---- for her  hair being a purplish color.

actually Blue/Purple hair is sometimes noted in humanity but its not a Blue like For instance Otakon blue or Ravens purple but usually a blue black/Purple black that is rare but does happen. I went to basic training with a young lady who got a lot of ---- for her hair being a purplish color.

actually Blue/Purple hair is sometimes noted in humanity but its not a Blue like For instance Otakon blue or Ravens purple but usually a blue black/Purple black that is rare but does happen. I went to basic training with a young lady who got a lot of ---- for her hair being a purplish color.

Well like he said during the panel, biology has a weird way of making exceptions to almost every rule at some point or another.