Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dostovei Illuminas

Art Auction / Charity Auction

Question

So I complained about this last year, and I've already posted this elsewhere for this year, but I think it bears repeating.

I would really love to see the Art Auction and Charity Auction more firmly separated from each other with distinctive time slots and set start and finish times. Usually they do everything together in a single large block of time, when normally all I go there for are the charity items. This year they had apparently intended to do the charity items first, which would have been great since they normally take less than an hour and I wouldn't have had to stay for the art auction stuff that I had no interest in, but it turned out that the person with the key to unlock the display case with the charity items didn't show up on time, so they went ahead and started the art auction. And then when the person with the key does show up, they decide to just finish up the art auction pieces instead of switching to the charity auction pieces. And since I have no way of knowing how long the remaining art auction pieces are going to take to get through, I have to stay through the whole thing so that I don't wind up missing the charity piece that I'm interested in. So I basically wound up burning three hours this morning for nothing while waiting around for the one item I wanted. I did win the item at least, so there is that. It was just inconvenient to have to wait so long through a ton of stuff that I had no interest in.

I don't really have a problem with the location, and I wouldn't mind the two events being scheduled back to back either. But it would greatly benefit people like me to have them firmly separate from each other, with a set time for the Art Auction and a set time for the Charity Auction. As I stated, the Charity Auction items typically take less than an hour to get through, so if you did things like you had intended this year and made a Charity Auction block for 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM (or maybe 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM since you never let us into the Artist Alley on time...) and then 11:00 AM (or 11:30 AM) to 2:00 PM (or 2:30 PM) is the Art Auction. Or you could do it the other way around with the Art Auction first and then the Charity Auction after. Either way, give them firm times so that I know when to show up for what I'm interested in and don't have to sit through a bunch of stuff that I'm not interested in when I could be elsewhere doing stuff that I am interested in. If the person who had the key to the display case had shown up on time this morning, it probably would have gone exactly like I would have preferred.

7 answers to this question

Just a heads up that I hear your concern, and will bring it up with the auction folks.

Cool, thanks for passing it along. I enjoy the charity auction every year and I look forward to bidding on the unique items (especially happy with the sketch from Hidenori Matsubara that I won this year). I just feel that the event needs to be a little better organized. Thanks again, and let them know I'm looking forward to next year's auction.

Hey I am from the art show saw your post and brought it to the PTB. Don't worry we have a litany of thing we noticed and were brought to our attention that we will discuss at our many many meetings between now and 2015. So to you or anyone reading this keep this thread going and use the specific artist ally/artshow forum for questions

I know many have brought up the huge as line for getting winning auction items/seeing if you've won. Perhaps we could take an idea from those anime about trying to get into uni. Get a dry erase board (or board with big-ass piece of paper) and put down all the numbers that won (certainly less then those that lost). If your number is not there you have no reason to line up. 

We realize that that line was ridiculous, and will be doing something different next year in terms of informing people what they won and lost. I will bring up the dry erase board suggestion at our next meeting. Thanks again for the feedback guys. I promise that we are listening, and will do our best to make next year even better.

A friend of mine -- and a friend of his -- somehow "won" items they never bid on in the art auction. Is there anyone he needs to speak with? He doesn't use these forums, but that seems like something staff should hear about to get ironed out for the future.