Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sofferm

Yaoi vs Slash workshop

Question

I have been going to Otakon for over 10 years and almost every year, I have attended some sort of yaoi panel/workshop.  Most of the time, we look at a few pictures, scream and get a little bit of information.  Nothing wrong with that!  Shoot, half the time that is what I am looking for.  But when I entered this workshop, I was blown away.  Unlike other yaoi panels/workshops, this workshop contained in dept discussion that had heavy audience participation.  Here I was able to confront hidden meaning to subconscious actions while finding myself in good/equal company.  

In short, the workshop started at 11:00pm.  At some point, one of the "J"s informed the people we only had 10 minutes left.  I thought "bull" and asked the person next to me.  We both looked at her phone shocked.  It was 12:50am.  We had no idea time had passed.  Everyone had been so enchanted.

After the workshop, a bunch of participants rushed up to the stage to thank them and continue the conversation.  Sadly, we had to leave so staff could set up for the next day.

Please invite them back!!!!!

Anyone else have input?

2 answers to this question

I loved this panel! I went in because the thing I had wanted to do was full, and my boyfriend and other friend were already going in, so I went with them. I am glad I did! I had something to contribute, which sadly I didn't get the chance to since we ran out of time, but I went up and talked to the panelists afterwards about it instead. It was great, and I feel this panel had a LOT more to offer than the 2 hours it ran allowed for.

I very honestly feel this panel should be at least 3 hours, and should run both friday and saturday. It is THAT good! And there is SO MUCH more to mine on this subject. The audience participation/discussion aspect was what made this panel stand out SO FAR ahead of the crowd!

I didn't get the chance to attend but it was one of the few panels I was interested in, I may have to check it out if it has a repeat showing! I didn't see a lot of queer media panels and I wasn't sure what sort of tone this might take but since it sounds like this was good I wish I had checked it out.