For next year's Otakon (2015), there are a few people I would like to see be invited.  To all of the Otakon staff, these are the following people, and groups that I would STRONGLY CONSIDER inviting for next year:

Dub Voice Actor:

Bryce Papenbrook

Cherami Leigh

Todd Haberkorn

- Cassandra Lee Morris

- Josh Grelle

- Alexis Tipton

- Kirk Thorton

- Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

Jamie Marchi

Monica Rial

- Caitlin Glass

Stephanie Young

Brittney Karbowski

- Matthew Mercer

Music Acts:

- Linked Horizon

- Kalafina

The names that I typed in bold are the ones who I most would want to see be invited next year, and would STRONGLY CONSIDER bringing in.  Caitlin Glass, and Monica Rial especially.  Those 2 ladies haven't been there in YEARS!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Directors
Mamoru Hosoda
Akiyuki Shinbou

Yamakan

U.S. Voice actors
Amanda Winn Lee
Jason Lee
Chris Patton

Greg Ayres

Yuri Lowenthall

Michelle Ruff

Japanese Voice Actors
Megumi Hayashibara
Ami Koshimizu
Nana Mizuki

Ai Kayano

Miyu Irino

Manga Writters
Ken Akamastsu 

Muscial Acts

FLOW

Kalafina

Not exactly Otakon type of guest but close enough

Austin St. John

The top entry on each is my most requested, of course number one of all of these is Megumi Hayashibara, Sunday concert, 1-2 autograph sessions, a Q&A, I would love that.

Edited by mitamaking

Seiyuu:

- Kana Hanazawa

- Ayana Taketatsu

- Aki Toyosaki

- Yoko Hikasa

- Satomi Sato

- Minako Kotobuki

- Chiwa Saito

- Aoi Yuka

- Emiri Kato

- Rie Kugimiya

- Rina Sato

- Daisuke Ono

- Jun Fukuyama

- Tomokazu Sugita

- Nobuyuki Hiyama

- Yuichi Nakamura

- Asami Imai

-Mamoru Miyano

Dub Actors:

- Veronica Taylor

- Rachel Lillis

- Eric Stuart

Musical Acts:

- Mami Kawada

- fripSide

- FLOW

- Asian Kung-Fu Generation

- Galileo Galilei

- Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas

- Joe Inoue

- SCANDAL

- Supercell

Mangaka/Authors:

- Nagaru Tanigawa (big one here)

- Yashichiro Takahashi

- Kakifly

- Kagami Yoshimizu

- Kazuki Takahashi

- Nobuhiro Watsuki

- Kazuma Kamachi

- Naoshi Komi

- Kiyohiko Azuma

Directors:

- Yutaka Yamamoto

- Hiroshi Nishikori

- Tatsuyuki Nagai

- Takashi Watanabe

- Naoko Yamada

Illustrators/Artists:

- Noizi Ito (big one here)

- Motoi Fuyukawa

Long list I know, but it'd be great to see any of these people here at the con next year.

Well THAT didn't take long!

If only wanting made it so!

Here are the general rules I follow when choosing guests:

1. Relevant to the mission of cultural education through Asian popular culture.  (I'm not bringing youtube celebs, fan artists, webcomics creators, cover bands, super-fans or cosplay guests; many of them come already anyway, and few of them have anything much to do with our mission. That doesn't mean they aren't welcome, but they come in as featured panelists typically.)

2. Few, if any repeats from the year before.  (When this happens it tends to be at industry's request, or on their dime.)

3. A mix of old and new guests. (I got a little annoyed hearing that there wasn't anything for "older" fans when I had Tony Oliver and Wendee Lee here, and when the "older" voices they had in mind were really big about five years ago....)

4. A mix of roles from the production side.  That means I aim for a director, a seiyu, a character designer or manga-ka, etc.

Why would people complain about having Tony Oliver and Wendee Lee?  Those two people are as old school as they get!  To the people who complain about Otakon not bringing in certain "older" people you wanted, have they been doing it for as long as Tony and Wendee?

And obviously, they still do plenty of voice over stuff, but they are people who have doing it for the longest time than most others.

Well, I would make my usual repeat request for Nana Mizuki, but I fear her concert would most likely be a lottery, unless you ditch the lotteries after the move to DC. But I guess I'll still request her anyway.

Seiyuu:

Hayashibara Megumi

Horie Yui

Ikeda Shuichi

Ishida Akira

Koyasu Takehito

Kuwashima Houko

Midorikawa Hikaru

Mizuki Nana

Nakata Jouji

Artist/Illustrator:

Amano Yoshitaka

Kaneko Kazuma

Urushihara Satoshi

Mangaka:

Matsui Yuusei

Suzuki Nakaba

Watsuki Nobuhiro

Musical Act:

KOTOKO

Psychic Lover

SCANDAL

Video game music composer:

Koshiro Yuzo

Meguro Shoji

Shimomura Yoko

Seiyuu:
Katsuyuki Konishi
Miyuki Sawashiro
Jun Fukuyama
Tsubasa Yonaga
Ryotaro Okiayu
Junichi Suwabe
Yuuichi Nakamura
Akira Ishida
Hiroshi Kamiya
Daisuke Ono
Daisuke Namikawa
Takehito Koyasu
Takahiro Sakurai
Kazuya Nakai
Mamiko Noto
Kaito Ishikawa

Musical artists:
NU'EST
Sphere
OLDCODEX
GRANRODEO

How about someone Political..

Prime Minister Abe. or The Emperor himself. (= (

Some Japanese Baseball Players!

some Noh and kabuki actors?

How bout some Talentos? and or Idols. (-= (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME PICK THEM!!!!! )

How bout some Talentos? and or Idols. (-= (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME PICK THEM!!!!! )

You do know that Otakon is an ANIME convention, right?  What do those people have to do with it?  Does the things they do benefit the medium of anime in anyway?  Why would anime cons like Otakon want to bring in people like them, when they have NOTHING to do with anime at all?

You do know that Otakon is an ANIME convention, right?  What do those people have to do with it?  Does the things they do benefit the medium of anime in anyway?  Why would anime cons like Otakon want to bring in people like them, when they have NOTHING to do with anime at all?

Oh god here we go....

The noh and kabuki actors might be cool though

You do know that Otakon is an ANIME convention, right? What do those people have to do with it? Does the things they do benefit the medium of anime in anyway? Why would anime cons like Otakon want to bring in people like them, when they have NOTHING to do with anime at all?

Technically, it's anime AND Asian culture. It isn't exclusively 100% all anime all the time. Though admittedly my guest preferences are mostly anime related. Either way, Joe always makes goofy suggestions. Just let him do his thing.

I requested Masanori Murakami last year. In case you aren't familiar with him, he was the first Japanese player ever to play in the MLB. He played for the Giants back in 1964 and 1965, but had to be send back to Japan due to contract obligations. He's a guest that would be extremely interesting to bring to Otakon. I would be extremely thrilled if he was brought over. He has recently traveled in the States as he was honored by the SF Giants for the 50th anniversary of his debut in the Majors. Also the Orioles play right next door, so something maybe could be worked out there. He is a video of him throwing out the first pitch back in May. He's still got it.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v32905081/miasf-first-japanese-player-murakamis-first-pitch/?c_id=mlb

Edited by Eddie 2

Seiyuu

Kamiya Hiroshi

Sakurai Takahiro

Mamoru Miyano

Daisuke Namikawa

Sugita Tomokazu

Koyasu Takehito

Kuwashima Houko

Maya Sakamoto

Megumi Ogata

Paku Romi

Noriko Hidaka

Musical Guest

Maya Sakamoto

May'N

Megumi Nakajima

Directors

Mamoru Hosoda

Nakamura Kenji

Non-Anime Related

Haruki Murakami

Koreeda Hirokazu

come on wouldn't it be cool to have the Prime Minister of a NATION or the  EMPEROR of a Nation Do the opening ceremonies?  and we have had plenty of non anime guests over the years The Two Sumo wrestlers this year the Samisen players a few years before that not to mention all the various live action movies that are shown (more this year than any year I can remember) 2 years ago we had a guest do a HUGE pannel on Tea and Tea ceremony, This year we had a series of well attended (to the point where I couldn't get in) panels on Drinking culture, and Whiskey and Sake.. (3 pannels on alcohol on the 21st birthday of Otakon no less) We have any of a few different folks from non animated action shows (We have had at various points the Red, green and White Rangers in attendance from Power Rangers)

There is a LOT more to Japan than anime mate and there is a lot more interesting stuff out there than anime given the fact that much of the anime you are watching has tie ins to the culture itself especially the stories and traditional kinds of story telling that are done in Anime.  

come on wouldn't it be cool to have the Prime Minister of a NATION or the  EMPEROR of a Nation Do the opening ceremonies?  and we have had plenty of non anime guests over the years The Two Sumo wrestlers this year the Samisen players a few years before that not to mention all the various live action movies that are shown (more this year than any year I can remember) 2 years ago we had a guest do a HUGE pannel on Tea and Tea ceremony, This year we had a series of well attended (to the point where I couldn't get in) panels on Drinking culture, and Whiskey and Sake.. (3 pannels on alcohol on the 21st birthday of Otakon no less) We have any of a few different folks from non animated action shows (We have had at various points the Red, green and White Rangers in attendance from Power Rangers)

There is a LOT more to Japan than anime mate and there is a lot more interesting stuff out there than anime given the fact that much of the anime you are watching has tie ins to the culture itself especially the stories and traditional kinds of story telling that are done in Anime. Much of those come out of the traditions of Kabuki and Noh theater. The concept of Manga is a modern outgrowth of kibyôshi from the 18th and early 19th centuries and even some of the syle queues still come from that era of Ukiyo-e (Look at the limited backgrounds in many scenes in for instance Naruto or Bleach where the foreground is detailed but the deeper you get into the background the detail sort of mists out)

But Hey what the F do I know I'm just a douche in a Mario costme 3 days a year.

I know but I would be fun to ask just to make the state department go all red faced and freak out... (-<

Actually sorry to double post but as another suggestion I think a rep from the Criterion Collection to speak about the Japanese films in their collection would be a great guest (and they have a lot of Japanese films in their collection).

edit: Actually since the convention is focused on Asia Pacific it doesn't have to be limited to the Japanese films in their collection

Edited by Kirarakim

I'll forever still hold out hope for a Hello!Project act! *_* Although Berryz Koubou is now out of the equation, considering they'll be on indefinite hiatus in spring 2015 ...

Otherwise, my guest wishlist is kinda pitifully small:

-- Tomokazu Sugita (the only seiyuu I really, really want to meet)

-- Kazuki Nakashima (for screenwriting)

-- Hirohiko Araki (... probably the biggest pipe dream of all, but why not)

There is a LOT more to Japan than anime mate and there is a lot more interesting stuff out there than anime given the fact that much of the anime you are watching has tie ins to the culture itself especially the stories and traditional kinds of story telling that are done in Anime. Much of those come out of the traditions of Kabuki and Noh theater. The concept of Manga is a modern outgrowth of kibyôshi from the 18th and early 19th centuries and even some of the syle queues still come from that era of Ukiyo-e (Look at the limited backgrounds in many scenes in for instance Naruto or Bleach where the foreground is detailed but the deeper you get into the background the detail sort of mists out)

But Hey what the F do I know I'm just a douche in a Mario costme 3 days a year.

Well, that is true, not all guests they invite have to be involved with anime.  But the majority of guests they invited should at least be purely anime related.  It was very interesting that they brought in those sumos this year, though.

I second the Austin St John and the Yuzo Koshiro requests.  I would like to see a lot of game designers as well.  I honestly don't have the time to list all of them.

for musical guests, I would love to see MUCC come again, or maybe Lynch.

Oh, and power rangers.  All of the power rangers!

Edited by kyos_kilt

Going to assume this for Otakon, Otakon Vegas, and Otakon Music Fest

Kugimiya Rie

Uchida Maaya

Amamiya Sora

Kitamura Eri

Sakamoto Maaya

Horie Yui

May'N
Megumi Nakajima

Endou Yurika

La La Larks (or School Food Punishment)

Ray

fripSide

KOTOKO

Kawada Mami

Yanagi Nagi

ChouCho

Wakeshima Kanon

Asian Kung Fu Generation

Any of the Idolm@ster 765Pro All Stars

Any of the Wake Up, Girls

2014 has shaped out to be a great year for my guest request list. Thank you...you know who you are (because I don't)...that made it possible. And of course, Otakon GR among them.

Production:
Asako Nishida
Akio Watanabe/Poyoyon Rock
Junji Nishimura
Kenji Nakamura

Junichi Sato

Akiyuki Simbo

Musical artists/composers

KOTOKO
Maaya Sakamoto - for a con that chases Kanno Yoko all the time...why not also her?
Lia
Hyadain
Nagi Yanagi

LiSA

Nana Mizuki

Hiroyuki Sawano

ChouCho

Seiyuu:
Yoko Hikasa

Satomi Satou
Ayana Taketatsu
Yukari Tamura - I give up; if I wanted to see her perform I should just pony up for a flight. Otakon can prove me wrong but I don't think the con can do it justice. That said she could make a great production guest.
Houko Kuwashima
Saki Fujita
Marina Inoue
Kanae Itou
Kana Asumi
Rie Kugimiya
Kana Hanazawa
Aki Toyosaki
Minako Kotobuki
Haruka Tomatsu
Ayahi Takagaki
Yui Ogura

Kaori Ishihara

Yumi Hara

Manami Numakura

Akiko Hasegawa

Asami Shimoda

Tomokazu Sugita

Norio Wakamoto

Naomi Wakabayashi

Emiri Kato

Kaori Mizuhashi

Ryou Hirohashi

Mai Nakahara

Ai Kayano

Seiyuu

Aya Hisakawa (Ah My Goddess, Card Captor Sakura, Sailor Moon) 

Ai Kayano (AnoHana, Guilty Crown, No Game No Life)

Eri Kitamura (Fairy Tale, Madoka Magica, Nisemonogatari, PreCure, Toradora)

Haruka Tomatsu (AnoHana, Valvrave, Kannagi, To Love-Ru, Sword Art Online)

Kana Ueda (Fate franchise, Lyrical Nanoha, Saki)

Directors

Mamoru Hosoda (Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Wolf Children) - probably more of a 2016 target

Tatsuyuki Nagai (AnoHana, Ano Natsu, Honey to Clover II, Toradora)

Yasuhiro Yoshiura (Eve no Jikan, Patema Inverted)

Visual Novel Creators

Kinoko Nasu (Type Moon)
Jun Maeda (Key)

Dub actors: 

Luci Christian

Lucien Dodge

Seiyuu:

Ai Shimizu

Marina Inoue

Hiroshi Kamiya

Kana Hanazawa

Nobuhiko Okamoto

Yuuki Ono

Tomokazu Sugita

Toshiki Masuda

Ayumu Murase

Kaito Ishikawa

Mimori Suzuko

Daisuke Ono

Megumi Ogata

Directors:

Akiyuki Shinbou

Kunihiko Ikuhara

Takahiro Omori

Mainly seiyuu-filled musical acts:

Milky Holmes

Idolm@ster 765Pro All Stars

Wake Up, Girls

Muse (Love Live! School Idol Project)

Prizmmy

i☆Ris

petit milady

StarAnis

Non-seiyuu musical acts:

ChouCho

nano

SPYAIR

FLOW

Soraru

Anything Hello!Project related

AKB48 (Kashiwagi Yuki solo possibly?)

Artists / Character designers:

VOFAN

Coffee Kizoku

Edited by wondermelody

Dub actors:

Bryce Papenbrook

Laura Bailey

Michelle Ruff

Seiyuu:

Sawashiro Miyuki

It would be lovely to see Kozaki Yusuke return for another year, especially if Under the Dog gets funded or if Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem advances at least a little bit in terms of press buzz.

Pipe dream request: Kojima Ayami.

Chef Naomichi Yasuda

<cribing notes from Anthony Burdain>

Naomichi Yasuda is my master, my mentor as far as all things related to sushi, and my friend. For almost two decades, he was the man around whom the eponymous Sushi Yasuda in New York City revolved; one of the first, greatest and most important sushi chefs in America. Over many epically delicious meals at his restaurant, he taught me everything I know about sushi. How to eat it. Where it comes from. Which is more important, the fish or the rice? Is fresher necessarily better? Everything.

He is also a fan of classic cinema, an intellectual, a deep thinker, and a lifelong practitioner of and competitor in bare-knuckle (Kyokushin) karate -- both sanctioned fights and underground matches. His massive fists, enlarged knuckles (from years of pounding cinderblock walls) and terrifying forearms are, to say the least -- unusual for a sushi chef.

He is unusual in other ways as well. He was among the first to employ female sushi chefs at his restaurant, a diversion from accepted practice once unthinkable. (Women's hands were believed, by old school dudes, to be "too hot" to handle sushi without "ruining" it). He was among the first real masters to employ Westerners behind the bar. He was certainly the first acclaimed sushi chef I know of who not only admitted, but proudly boasted of freezing some of his fish, (much of the fish you eat in sushi bars is, in fact, at one point, frozen), giving the dates or "vintage" of each fish he'd blast frozen in a medical freezer to "cure" it in a desirable way. Many varieties of fish, Yasuda taught me, are in fact, improved by freezing.

Perhaps the most unconventional thing he did was disappear. A few years ago, at the top of his game, his always-packed restaurant considered among the best -- if not THE best -- sushi bar in New York, he announced he would, in his fifties, be leaving for Japan, to start all over again, at the bottom, opening a tiny, modest, low-overhead sushi bar in Tokyo, where he could prove himself anew, show Japanese that what he had done in America, he could do in Japan.

Sushi Yasuda still runs quite nicely in New York. It still bears his name. It is still excellent.

Naomichi Yasuda, incredibly enough, though, says he has nothing to do with it.

He is a fascinating subject and a great chef with an engrossing story. In this episode, we get to know him a bit, and explore where his unique style comes from. Can the very different disciplines of fighting and sushi-making be said to connect? You will be surprised, I think, at the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

I only come here for the music, so right now my only requests for music would be:

Defspiral

That's the Underneath renamed and I believe minus one member but my memory might serve me wrong. Anyways I know that they used to be the Underneath, and they've performed here before at Otakon. I'd love to see them again and I'm sure a lot of people would agree!

VAMPS

This is Hyde of L'arc en Ciel and Kaz of, well, various other bands. They've toured the US quite a bit. It's a stretch, I know, probably just cause they may be too expensive. But they do tour North America pretty often, so maybe they would be willing to perform Otakon if they are already in the area. I guess this depends on where the concert will be held since there would be a lot of people attending.

That's all I can think of right now.

We've worked with both groups -- VAMPS did a special appearance at Otakon and had a Thursday night performance nearby, and of course I remember The Underneath.  (Somehow I'd missed that they renamed and rebuilt.)

Keep the ideas coming, folks.  I have some stuff in motion for next year, but it's still early days.  Hopefully this year Lady Gaga won't snag my first wave of hopefuls...

Hopefully this year Lady Gaga won't snag my first wave of hopefuls...

Let's see... who has Ga of Ga snagged recently that is part of Asian Culture?  Hatsune Miku?

To those who think Otakon is an anime convention: while a big chunk of it DOES pertain to anime the convention deals with Asian Culture.  That means ALL things Asian, not just the cartoons. tongue.png  (Grinning, ducking, and running before the "cartoons" comment sinks in) biggrin.png

I think we've been pretty successful in our mission, honestly.  Which, as you note, is broader than just "anime convention" -- it's using anime, manga, music, cinema, video games, and other pop culture as a gateway to broader cultural understanding.

Or, as I sometimes put it, we use anime and other pop culture from Asia as a gateway drug.

Since I took over GR in 2007, we've had a cultural or academic guest every year, but even before that we frequently had folks known for their writing and speaking about anime and Asian culture. We've also had guests connected with live action (the director of HERO and action star Simon Yam), speakers from the Smithsonian and the AFI, etc.  And our Programming department has shouldered some of that as well, prioritizing good, real, meaningful "fan" content over stuff that is merely crowd-pleasing. 

We do take risks (for all the bitching about bringing Ray Villard, I couldn't be happier that his panel was packed and people went out of their way to comment about how good it was at the feedback panel), and while we don't always get what we want (I really wanted an astronaut to talk about the international cooperation aspects of the space program, but we just couldn't make it work), we do try to make sure that our guests and programming reflect our mission. 

This past year, I'd say our big win was the sumo demonstrations -- exactly the sort of engaging and informative stuff that we hope to bring -- and my only regret there is I wish we could have used them more throughout the weekend, but there just isn't space.

The big loss -- though with a really good surviving component -- was the content related to our "space" theme that would have, at one stage, involved SPACE BROTHERS and folks from the US and Japan space programs. But we've proven a real appetite for that stuff exists, and guess what? People came for the anime and stayed to be educated by the man from Hubble, which is exactly why we're here. Win!

As long as I'm involved, we will always try for the rare and hard-to-get guests. *AND* we will always try for off-the-wall guests, including some who might be seen as risky or whose connection to anime isn't particularly clear.

Let's see... who has Ga of Ga snagged recently that is part of Asian Culture?  Hatsune Miku?

Nope...  Momoiro Clover Z was high on my list but due to the Gaga tour their timing didn't quite work.  Would have been perfect for the Sailor Moon stuff.

I just noticed something... Jim's posts don't get a "Like This" button. laugh.png I realize the button doesn't do anything, but still...

Staff cannot be liked. mellow.png

Anyway.  I like the fact that Otakon stretches their reach in regards to programming and guests every year.  While I'm sure there would be members who would be perfectly happy with the same panels and guests year-in and year-out, just think of all the people who had some down-time on their schedule and attended a panel they had no interest in, only to emerge with a new avenue of Asian Culture to explore!

To those who think Otakon is an anime convention: while a big chunk of it DOES pertain to anime the convention deals with Asian Culture.  That means ALL things Asian, not just the cartoons. tongue.png  (Grinning, ducking, and running before the "cartoons" comment sinks in) biggrin.png

There's no need to be so damn smart about it.  People like me get it already, so get off your high horse, and stop acting you know everything about it.

Anyways, I hope staff won't mind, but I'd like repeat my list of people I'd like to see be there next year, as well as add a few more folks.

Dub Actors:

-Steve Blum

-Bryce Papenbrook

-Cherami Leigh

-Todd Haberkorn

-Josh Grelle

-Alexis Tipton

-Jamie Marchi

-Monica Rial

-Caitlin Glass

-Stephanie Young

-Brittney Karbowski

-Ian Sinclair

-Cassandra Lee Moris

-Austin Tindle

-Brina Palencia

-Christopher Bevins

-Christopher Sabat

-Eric Vale

-Michelle Ruff

-Matthew Mercer

-Kirk Thornton

-Patrick Sietz

Musical Acts

-FripSide

-Kalafina

-Linked Horizon

And just like my last post, the names I typed in bold are the ones I would like to see most, and would strongly consider inviting.  Particularly Caitlin and Monica.  Monica Rial hasn't been there since 2006, and Caitlin hasn't been there since 2007.  What's up with those awesome ladies being left in the dust all these years?