There's no need to be so damn smart about it.  People like me get it already, so get off your high horse, and stop acting you know everything about it.

Duhhhh. Me no' smart but me 'no' dif'rence 'tween cartoon an' kulchure.

How's that?  Dumbed-down enough for you?  For the record, I've never been on a horse - whether "high" or "stone-cold sober".  The closest I've came was as a child on a pony ride at a carnival.  As for "acting like I know everything about it", I've never claimed that and certainly never acted like it. I'm pretty sure no one can ever claim that because the topic of Asian Culture is so vast and constantly evolving.  Even if you tried to narrow it down to just Japanese anime, I'd say there's probably still no one who can say they "know everything about it" because of the sheer numbers of titles released every season.

I'm glad you "got it already" but if you did, then my post wasn't aimed at you was it? Turn off the flames because I wasn't addressing you, ね?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no need to be so damn smart about it.  People like me get it already, so get off your high horse, and stop acting you know everything about it.

Duhhhh. Me no' smart but me 'no' dif'rence 'tween cartoon an' kulchure.

How's that?  Dumbed-down enough for you?  For the record, I've never been on a horse - whether "high" or "stone-cold sober".  The closest I've came was as a child on a pony ride at a carnival.  As for "acting like I know everything about it", I've never claimed that and certainly never acted like it. I'm pretty sure no one can ever claim that because the topic of Asian Culture is so vast and constantly evolving.  Even if you tried to narrow it down to just Japanese anime, I'd say there's probably still no one who can say they "know everything about it" because of the sheer numbers of titles released every season.

I'm glad you "got it already" but if you did, then my post wasn't aimed at you was it? Turn off the flames because I wasn't addressing you, ね?

I already "got it" even before you made the post regarding Otakon being both an anime and Asian culture con.  I just felt that how you worded your comment made you look like a smartass.  I do know there's so much to learn about Asian culture when going to cons like Otakon, but the main focus for people like me is usually the anime side of it.

And just like my last post, the names I typed in bold are the ones I would like to see most, and would strongly consider inviting.  Particularly Caitlin and Monica.  Monica Rial hasn't been there since 2006, and Caitlin hasn't been there since 2007.  What's up with those awesome ladies being left in the dust all these years?

Lots of reasons.  I know you've been around this forum for a while and kinda know this stuff already, but I'll spell it out again for others.

Among the factors affecting guest invites:  availability, exposure in the area in a given year or season, participation in high-visibility roles in big shows, strategic value in reaching other guests, etc.  And as you know, many dub guests are driven by whatever shows industry is promoting.  I don't have unlimited budget, after all, and when they pick up part of the tab it helps everyone.

There are usually a few guests that are entirely driven by us.  I typically aim for 1-2 guests in the "long career, big roles" category as a starting point -- folks like Wendee Lee and Tony Oliver, for example -- or who may be rare for various reasons. 

Then it's often a matter of who's cast in big shows that will be tied to premieres at Otakon.  That usually brings up another 4-6, minimum. So I typically hold onto sufficient budget to bring them. We'd never have had Stephanie and Robbie this year if I hadn't had some reserve for last-minute opportunities.

Caitlin and Monica are appearing at a dozen cons each in 2014; that's pretty typical for them.  By contrast, Wendee Lee appears at 3-5 per year on average. Vic Mignona? 20-30 per year.

I strongly believe that Otakon should, by default, attempt to bring rare guests when we can, because often the guests are rare for a reason. They may be very busy, or have tricky requirements, or simply higher fees.   Sometimes it's just a matter of trust, where Otakon's reputation carries more weight and can reassure reluctant guests.  At the same time, for up-and-comers, we represent an amazing way to make a big splash and establish a fan base. 

Don't get me wrong, I think the world of both of them and expect both of them to come back sometime. And sooner or later, the right timing will drive it.

But it's never, EVER, purely about popularity.

I second Hayashibara Megumi-sama as well as all of the original Japanese Sailor Moon cast. I'd die a happy man. xD

There is a not-too-secret short list of guests that, should the option appear, I am authorized to pursue with maximum effort.

I refer to them as "Holy SH**" guests. The list includes (but isn't limited to):

Hayao Miyazaki

Rumiko Takahashi

Megumi Hayashibara

Leiji Matsumoto

So no worries -- if the opportunity happens, there will be no hesitation about snapping one of them up. 

In fact that list is shorter than it used to be... because we've snagged a few over the years. :)

I second Hayashibara Megumi-sama as well as all of the original Japanese Sailor Moon cast. I'd die a happy man. xD

There is a not-too-secret short list of guests that, should the option appear, I am authorized to pursue with maximum effort.

I refer to them as "Holy SH**" guests. The list includes (but isn't limited to):

Hayao Miyazaki

Rumiko Takahashi

Megumi Hayashibara

Leiji Matsumoto

So no worries -- if the opportunity happens, there will be no hesitation about snapping one of them up. 

In fact that list is shorter than it used to be... because we've snagged a few over the years. smile.png

Thanks Jim! If you can put that effort towards Hayashibara-sama, that'd be über awesome lol. She's awesome and I want to meet her so bad. Takahashi-sama would be a close second. Though I'm sure the others will make my fellow Otaku/Otakon goers happy. ^.^

Also I'd like to add in a musical guest request.... 

Do...as...infinity! I know someone in Japan that says they're "pretty much done" but if they could go out with a bang at Ota I'd not know what to do with myself. lol

Edited by GasparAKAShiggitay

Hayao Miyazaki

Rumiko Takahashi

Megumi Hayashibara

Leiji Matsumoto

In fact that list is shorter than it used to be... because we've snagged a few over the years. smile.png

Let's see, Shinkai, Watanabe, Kanno, Jam Project?

Hayao Miyazaki

Rumiko Takahashi

Megumi Hayashibara

Leiji Matsumoto

Let's see, Shinkai, Watanabe, Kanno, Jam Project?

I've seem JAM Project at Anime Boston this year. They were AWESOME! :)

Love those guys. :)

Yes, Shinkai and JAM Project were long on the wish list -- we'd had Watanabe and Kanno before but that was before they really got big. But as longtime forum-dwellers will tell you, Kanno in particular was a long pursuit; she's one of the few guests I admitted we'd tried to snag a few times.

As I said above, I saw JAM Project at AB this year, but I wouldn't mind seeing them again. Also re: Hayashibara-sama: I'd like to request/suggest her as a musical guest as well since she is also a great and awesome etc singer. I love her songs. :)

Oh and I almost forgot: Asakawa Yuu. I saw her at AB this year, but didn't have anything to ask her at he QnA Panel... all ppl were asking her was stuff about Vocaloid 3....the same question one person after another... -_-;;

I adore Megumi Hayashibara and would absolutely love to see her as a guest, but the odds of it actually happening are virtually nil. Never say never, of course... But I'm not going to hold my breath. I'd love for Jim and crew to prove me wrong though.

Of course, with the crowding issues and the con having to resort to policies like random lotteries for concert tickets and possibly even autographs, somebody as big as Megumi I would almost rather not see until after the move to DC when the con hopefully has the space to meet the demand for seeing her and doesn't have to resort to things like that.

Edited by Dostovei Illuminas

I wouldn't mind seeing Megumi Hayashibara either. I'm a big fan of the work she did in Shaman King (Over Soul anyone?) and the fact that she voiced Anna. However I share the sentiment that I'd rather wait to see her after the move to DC because I still don't condone a lottery practice to even get in the door to the concert, and with the caliber of Hayashibara-san I'd expect it to have high demand.

She's been mentioned by a few already, but Mizuki Nana is probably one of the few guests that would get me to buy plane tickets to anywhere in the continent on the spot.  Even more so than anyone else in the short list just posted.

Would love to see some Vocaloid related guests and events too; I don't know what Crypton's plans are for their Vocaloids after Miku Expo, but I'm certain an appearance at next year's Otakon would do much to keep their upwards momentum going.

Would love to see some Vocaloid related guests and events too; I don't know what Crypton's plans are for their Vocaloids after Miku Expo, but I'm certain an appearance at next year's Otakon would do much to keep their upwards momentum going.

I'm sure it would -- but it doesn't add anything new to Otakon.  Our job is not to promote the acts; it's to bring something new and different from Asia to the US audience.

Especially when it comes to music, it is critical for us to continue to try things that haven't been done. By that I mean artists and music and styles that haven't yet captured the attention of fandom, or that haven't appeared in the US, or that represent new ground in some significant way.   So if they've appeared at other conventions, or are actively touring the US, that makes them far less attractive because unless we do something different, we're just following others' success.

It is firsts and innovations that help us continue to push the envelope with musical acts; they bring positive PR, increase our reach, and enhance our reputation.  Without our history of doing just that, we'd never have scored most of the big names and cool acts we've garnered in the past.

Does anyone see Sword Art Online 2 having some promotion next year?  Conventions like Otakon typically have one or two new shows/movies be promoted each year.  Just like how this year, they brought in Stephanie Sheh and Robbie Daymond for the premiere of Viz Media's new dub of classic Sailor Moon, as well as Aniplex supplying Otakon with the dub cast of Kill la Kill, when that series' dub was being promoted.

Something in my gut tells me that should Aniplex have out a dub for SAO2, I can easily see that being promoted at next year's Otakon.  And last year, they brought in the creator himself, Reki Kawahara, the anime's animation designer Shingo Adachi (who did that awesome charity poster, too).  And this year, they brought in the producer of the ongoing second season.

This is just me, of course, but I think it would be to see the english side of SAO at Otakon next year.  Hence, why I have placed my requests for Bryce Papenbrook, Cherami Leigh, and Cassandra Lee Morris.  And to anyone who is currently watching SAO2- In your opinion, who do you see doing the english voice of the character Sinon?  I can see someone like either Cristina Vee, or Michelle Ruff playing.  Just my opinion, of course.

And could it be possible to bring in music composer Yuki Kaijura?  She composed the music for series like Madoka Magica, Sword Art Online, and Fate/Zero.  Does anyone know if she's been outside of Japan before?

It's a reasonably safe bet we'll be working closely with our industry partners on particular guests.  However, much of that is driven by timing.  We'd originally been planning to have guests tied to another property due to launch roughly around Otakon's timeframe, but that project got delayed and so things shifted.  In previous years, it's gone the other way.

One thing we all try to avoid is too much repetition at the bigger events.  It is rarely worth the expense for the same property to be pushed at Otakon as at AX, since we're usually a month apart, because even though they're reaching different crowds in person, the media impact (via press) is lessened with each repeat.

But FAR more of it has to do with timing and budgets than anything else.

And could it be possible to bring in music composer Yuki Kaijura?  She composed the music for series like Madoka Magica, Sword Art Online, and Fate/Zero.  Does anyone know if she's been outside of Japan before?

Kajiura has been to Anime Boston and Anime Expo in the past few years, so given the above remarks about Otakon's focus being on the new and unknown and never seen in the US before, it's probably unlikely that she'll be invited to Otakon for a musical performance. Maybe if she's promoting some new group like she did with Kalafina at Anime Boston a few years ago.

As for SAO2, given the success the series has seen so far, I fully expect Aniplex to continue riding that gravy train for as long as possible. I would be very surprised if they didn't have at least some sort of promotional tie-in at Otakon next year, though what form that will specifically take can't really be accurately predicted this far out.

Since otakon is a big even every year i would love to see you guys invite some actors and actresses of the show that has been going strong for 20 years. they are

Jason David Frank

Blake Foster

Catherine Sutherland

David Yost

and even some sentai actors from japan. would really live to see some actora from the super sebtai series.

William Foster

I just have one that I can think of at the moment:

Bryan Cranston.

Oh, you're adorable. smile.png

Yes, I'm aware of his anime (and Trek) connections.

And MMPR, but... (and hey, y'all got Dante Basco, so...)

Since otakon is a big even every year i would love to see you guys invite some actors and actresses of the show that has been going strong for 20 years. they are

Jason David Frank

Blake Foster

Catherine Sutherland

David Yost

and even some sentai actors from japan. would really live to see some actora from the super sebtai series.

William Foster

Personally? I'd like to see Hiroshi Fujioka(aka Kamen Rider Ichigo).

A few writers:

Shotaro Suga-Darker than Black, Eccentric Family, Langrange-The Flower of Rin-ne, and One Week Friends

Hiroshi Seko- Terror in Resonance, Panty& Stocking, and Attack on Titan

Keiko Nobumoto-Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy, Tokyo Godfathers, and Wolf's Rain

Ichiro Okouchi-Planetes, Code Geass, Valvrave

• 2 weeks later...

Some more guests for thought:

The girls of TRYangle Harmony (or more aptly put, the next generation of Music Ray'n talents):

Shiina Natsukawa

Momo Asakura

Sora Amamiya

Wake Up, Girls - the anime/seiyuu idol group

Miyu Takagi

Nanami Yamashita

Kaya Okuno

Mayu Yoshioka 

Minami tanaka

Yoshino Aoyama

Airi Eino

All 10 of these people could be individual guests too as they work as voice actresses independently of the other members of the group.

SO OTAKON......  Youmacon managed to get Origa to appear this year.....any reason that the second largest anime convention in the USA can't get her?

smile.png    smile.png   smile.png

Edited by KyoKyo

SO OTAKON......  Youmacon managed to get Origa to appear this year.....any reason that the second largest anime convention in the USA can't get her?

See this response earlier in the thread (bolding is mine for emphasis):

Especially when it comes to music, it is critical for us to continue to try things that haven't been done. By that I mean artists and music and styles that haven't yet captured the attention of fandom, or that haven't appeared in the US, or that represent new ground in some significant way. So if they've appeared at other conventions, or are actively touring the US, that makes them far less attractive because unless we do something different, we're just following others' success.

It is firsts and innovations that help us continue to push the envelope with musical acts; they bring positive PR, increase our reach, and enhance our reputation. Without our history of doing just that, we'd never have scored most of the big names and cool acts we've garnered in the past.

Origa appeared at Anime Boston last year, and now Youmacon this year. So given the above quote from alabaster, I'd say that makes an Otakon appearance less likely, given their general policy towards musical guests.

See this response earlier in the thread (bolding is mine for emphasis):

Especially when it comes to music, it is critical for us to continue to try things that haven't been done. By that I mean artists and music and styles that haven't yet captured the attention of fandom, or that haven't appeared in the US, or that represent new ground in some significant way. So if they've appeared at other conventions, or are actively touring the US, that makes them far less attractive because unless we do something different, we're just following others' success.

It is firsts and innovations that help us continue to push the envelope with musical acts; they bring positive PR, increase our reach, and enhance our reputation. Without our history of doing just that, we'd never have scored most of the big names and cool acts we've garnered in the past.

Origa appeared at Anime Boston last year, and now Youmacon this year. So given the above quote from alabaster, I'd say that makes an Otakon appearance less likely, given their general policy towards musical guests.

I figured but it's worth a shot. tongue.png   A pity they JUST announced her for Youmacon, considering I blew nearly $300.00 on Nekocon, hotels etc. which is the week after.    Oh well.   Guess my buddy will have to take really nice videos on his iPad.....

Edited by KyoKyo

Wasn't able to go Otakon 2014... something came up sad.png but I might go this year! Idk... but it would be AWESOME if you guys brought these guests to Otakon 2015:

English Dub Guests:

Todd Haberkorn

Vic Mignogna

Sean Schemmel

Christopher R. Sabat

Johnny Yong Bosch

J. Michael Tatum

Brina Palencia

Bryce Papenbrook

Eric Vale

Musician Guests:

Krary Pamyu Pamyu 

Eyeshine

If you can... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

404123_1266781232923.68res_400_300.jpg

Edited by nikkimel5

How often does Otakon bring in folks that more known for their video game works?  One thing I've always known is that certain video game franchises (ones developed by Japanese gaming companies, or otherwise) are often associated with anime and anime fandoms, like Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, the Tales series, etc.

It's just like how you guys brought in Nobou Uematsu back in 2011's Otakon.  And not to mention that many voice actors that are brought in do tons, and tons of gaming voice overs, too.

So could it be possible to bring in someone like Haley Joel Osment?  He was in one anime series called "IGPX", starred in a couple of Disney movies, and not to mention- He's Sora on Kingdom Hearts!

How often does Otakon bring in folks that more known for their video game works?  One thing I've always known is that certain video game franchises (ones developed by Japanese gaming companies, or otherwise) are often associated with anime and anime fandoms, like Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, the Tales series, etc.

It's just like how you guys brought in Nobou Uematsu back in 2011's Otakon.  And not to mention that many voice actors that are brought in do tons, and tons of gaming voice overs, too.

So could it be possible to bring in someone like Haley Joel Osment?  He was in one anime series called "IGPX", starred in a couple of Disney movies, and not to mention- He's Sora on Kingdom Hearts!

Put in my vote for Haley Joel Osment too!  He's an incredible actor!

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's been said that a Vocaloid concert is unlikely, but if can happen the 1st Mariner Arena would be an awesome venue for it. It's plenty large, and I think CFM would have plenty of room to set stuff up for such an event. NYC's Hammerstein Ballroom, where the Miku Expo NYC concert was held is a MUCH smaller venue and it worked out great... nearly a full house. I'd think that such an event at Otakon could easily fill the Arena.

just my $0.02.

• 2 weeks later...

For some voice artists from earlier anime:

Sandy Fox

Lex Lang

Kirk Thornton

Steve Blum

Peter Cullen (Did "Transformers" and "Voltron")

I concur.  It's been years since Steve Blum was at Otakon and I've never seen Lex Lang.

On a side note, Origa coming to Yomacon was a flop- apparently the TSA wouldn't let her into good old 'MURICA so she had to live stream her concert from across the Great Lakes in Canada.

'MURICA.

That means Otakon should try for her.... :) 

Cassandra LEE (Last Signature i need for my Madoka Pray for Japan Otakon print) and the return of  Saori Hayami (the line closed with with the person infront of me being the last person allowed in last year).

I guess I'll go ahead and post my top Japanese staff, as unlikely as some are:

Directors:

01. Tatsuya Ishihara

02. Hayao Miyazaki

03. Tatsuyuki Nagai

04. Hideaki Anno

05. Akiyuki Simbo

06. Mamoru Hosoda

Writers:

01. Hayao Miyazaki

02. Fumihiko Shimo

03. Ichiro Okouchi

04. Masashi Sogo

05. Mari Okada

06. Gen Urobuchi

07. Hideaki Anno

08. Reiko Yoshida

09. Satoko Okudera

Composers:

01. Yoshihisa Hirano

02. Joe Hisaishi

03. Taku Iwasaki

04. Satoru Kousaki

05. Yuki Kajiura

06. Shiro Sagisu

07. Kotaro Nakagawa

08. Shinsuke Kazato

Character Designers:

01. Yoshiyuki Sadamoto

02. Masashi Ando

03. Masayoshi Tanaka

Art Directors:

01. Yuji Ikeda

02. Koji Eto

03. Youji Takeshige

04. Seiki Tamura

05. Takeshi Waki

06. Mio Ishiki

07. Satoshi Kuroda

08. Hidetoshi Kaneko

09. Chikako Shibata

10. Hiroshi Ohno

11. Tadami Shimokawa

Edited by GingaDaiuchuu

Musical Guests
Grand Rodeo

fripSide

Kawada Mami

Seiyuus

Toriumi Kousuke

Takeuchi Ryouta

Kisaichi Atsushi

Midorikawa Hikaru

Satoshi Hino

Shimono Hiro

Taniyama Kisho

Mamoru Miyano

Yuki Kaji

Mizuki Nana

Fukuyama Jun

Nakamura Yuichi

Hiroshi Kamiya

Morikawa Toshiyuki

Takahashi Hiroki

Saito Chiwa

Masatomo Nakazawa

Wataru Hatano

Tomokazu Sugita

Musical Guests

Grand Rodeo

fripSide

Kawada Mami

Seiyuus

Toriumi Kousuke

Takeuchi Ryouta

Kisaichi Atsushi

Midorikawa Hikaru

Satoshi Hino

Shimono Hiro

Taniyama Kisho

Mamoru Miyano

Yuki Kaji

Mizuki Nana

Fukuyama Jun

Nakamura Yuichi

Hiroshi Kamiya

Morikawa Toshiyuki

Takahashi Hiroki

Saito Chiwa

Masatomo Nakazawa

Wataru Hatano

Tomokazu Sugita

I meant Granrodeo, my bad. Also going to add Onosaka Masaya to the seiyuu list.

• 1 month later...

Caitlin Glass

Luci Christian

Travis Willingham

Monica Rial

Still trying to round off my Ouran autographs that I somehow still haven't managed to collect...

Also, in the realm of not happening;

Nomura Tetsuya from Square Enix - I always choose Otakon over NYCC, but Nomura's appearance in New York last year was so painful to miss.

And Shimomura Yoko

Thank you :)

As you may know, we've been working on Vegas guests.  Here's that list:

Japanese:  SUSHIO, Toshio Furukawa

US: Lisa Ortiz, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Steve Blum, Wendee Lee

So... moving on to Otakon proper for 2015:

... Hoping to confirm a musical act in coming month

... Hoping to confirm two well-known US voice actors in coming month

Rest assured there are guests underway. With luck, we'll be ready to announce in January.  :)