Looking forward to the announcements.

I'll throw some out there and hope for the best then.

Voice Actors:
Hanazawa Kana
Shinichiro Miki
Horie Yui
Nakamura Yuuichi
Sakurai Takahiro
Koyasu Takehito
Kobayashi Yuu
Noto Mamiko

Kawasumi Ayako

Ueda Kana

Directors:
Mizushima Seiji
Kasai Kenichi

Shinobu Akiyuki

Manga Authors (would love to see more authors/artists at conventions):
Hiroe Rei
Murata Yusuke
Akamatsu Ken

Amano Kozue

Fukumoto Nobuyuki

Musical Acts:
GRANRODEO
Angela
Kalafina
NICO Touches the Wall
Sambomaster
EGOIST

SPYAIR

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time, I guess, to trot out the usual explanation for why it is so difficult for manga-ka to make it to US conventions.

First, they tend to have truly brutal production schedules, leaving few opportunities for a week away -- if they come to Otakon, that's effectively 2 days lost to travel, plus 3 days here.

Second, many are accurately described as shy and reclusive; not all, of course, but it seems to be a pretty common trait.

Third, most manga ka are very tightly controlled by their editors, and they are very protective. It usually takes some effort by the U.S. distributor to help lure them out. We have had Viz, Kodansha, Vertical, and other folks keeping an eye out for us for some time now, and a number of near misses.

We are constantly looking for opportunities, but the chances of getting a manga KA for an active, in production series are pretty minuscule, and even when we have a good relationship and a willing party, other factors get in the way.

I have hopes, however, and as I said, we have good working relationships with many of the right people, so it is like many things -- a question of timing.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the older manga-ka who may not be busy working on something new and popular, personally speaking. I'm sure they stay perpetually busy with something or other but maybe somebody older who hasn't been in the limelight for a while would be an easier target.

Animators and character designers are also appreciated. Was very pleased to be able to meet Hidenori Matsubara and get a sketch from him last year. smile.png

Well just in case the possibility for any of them presents itself, these are my top wishes for mangaka:

01. Naoki Urasawa

02. Takehiko Inoue

03. Takeshi Obata

04. Rumiko Takahashi

05. Kiyohiko Azuma

And since I haven't posted my top wishes for musical guests yet, here they are:

01. Shoko Nakagawa

02. Ali Project

03. Yui Horie

04. Eri Kitamura

05. Kalafina

06. ClariS

07. Luna Haruna

08. Steve Conte

09. Tommy heavenly6

10. Base Ball Bear

11. Flow

I can understand how mangaka's are busy people among other things. I've read up that that's just the nature of the job. However, what about light novel authors and the like? I remember Oreimo's Tsukasa Fushimi came in 2013, but I have no idea what their lives or schedules are like or their odds of showing up at an event outside Japan in general. Most of my favorite series started as light novels (Haruhi, Index, Shana) which is why I'm curious at the odds of another author showing up at Otakon.

New year, and that means the faerie has her guests to request:

Rachel Lillis

Monica Rial

Maxey Whitehead

Keith Silverstein

Ami Koshimizu

Aya suzaki

Takuya Sato

Kyuta Sakai

Kunihiko Ikuhara <--Really want

That's all the guests I can think of requesting right now. ;)

Not sure if anyone has yet to state anyone I'm going to suggest, but a few that would be awesome are as follows:

Directors / Creators

- Hideaki Anno

- Yomi Hirasaka

- Monty Oum

- Yuu Kamiya

- Genndy Tartakovsky

Book Authors

- Wen Spencer

- David Weber

- John Ringo

- Scott Siegler

English VA:

- Monica Rial

- Steven Brand

- Katharine Gray

- Greg Ayres

- Hillary Haag

Japanese VA

- Mai Fuchigami

- Kanae Itou

- Kana Hanazawa

- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka

Not sure if anyone has yet to state anyone I'm going to suggest, but a few that would be awesome are as follows:

Book Authors

- Wen Spencer

- David Weber

- John Ringo

- Scott Siegler

I have offered To PAY for John Ringo to show up. Personally out of pocket. I tried to enlist his publisher to send him.. (HI TONI!)  John goes to Dragon Con and By the Time of Otakon he is in full on prep for DC. Same for David Webber and Mike Z williamson. (Except mike is at Pennisc those two weeks then is gearing up for Dragon Con. ) Larry Corriea would show up but as a Parent to his daughter. He isn't keen on DC or Baltimore as a Place in general.

the Problem is that Authors tend to go to Litterary cons NOT anime conventions. which is why Dragon Con is more Prefered for those guys. ANYway I dont know that you would enjoy the politics that goes along with those particular authors when they show up they tend to not quite give a POOP about Politically correct.

Edited by joecrouse

Hope you don't mind my asking Mr. Alabaster, but how many musical guests do you usually invite each year?  Usually about 2 or 3?

Anyways, assuming that we'll get our first guest announcements this month, or the next, I have noticed from last year, that whenever Otakon announces a guest, it would usually be on either a Monday, or a Wednesday.  Does anyone know if that's the announcement pattern has been going?  Can someone please correct me, if I'm wrong?

And also, I'd like to add some new additions to the list of people I'd like to see be invited this year.  Aside from the main ones I've requested, like Bryce Papenbrook, Cherami Leigh, Todd Haberkorn, and Brittney Karbowski,  There are a few more people I didn't list, and would like to add:

Dub Actors

-Steve Blum

-Ian Sinclair

-Austin Tindle

-Felicia Angelle

-Kira Buckland

-Karen Strassman

-Andrew Love

-Emily Neves

-Eric Vale

-Chuck Huber

-Christopher Sabat

-Tyson Rinehart

-Shelley Calene-Black

-Spike Spencer

-Maryke Hendriske (She was freakin' Revy on Black Lagoon!)

-Trina Nishimura

-Lauren Landa

-Patrick Seitz

-Yuri Lowenthal

-Tara Platt

Musical Acts

-FripSide (I'd love to hear "Only my Railgun" live!)

-Luna Haruna (Her song "Overfly" being the 2nd ending to season 1 of Sword Art Online)

-Joe Inoue

-Nightmare

The people, and groups I've just listed are all new additions to my list of guest requests I have made prior to this post.  And just like certain people from the list I made, the names typed in bold are the ones I'd like to see the most, and would strongly consider inviting.  Thank you!

Guests time! Can't wait for Otakon 2015!

Here are my requests:

-Steve Blum

-Quinton Flynn

-Jim Cummings (bit of a stretch)

-Bryce Papenbrook

-Tetsuya Nomura (biiiig stretch. Would be nice to match up with KH III, so within the next 20 years :P )

-Dante Basco

-Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino (Bryke! I know they usually do NYCC and SDCC, but hey, might as well try)

-Janet Varney

Well, if this article is correct, Origa definitely won't be a guest this year, either at Otakon or anywhere else.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-18/ghost-in-the-shell-singer-origa-passes-away/.83416

Really saddened by this news. Part of me hopes it ends up being a hoax.

Her websites aren't much help - the Japanese site hasn't been updated since 2012 and the English site talks about the "upcoming" Vancouver convention that happened last year. Wikipedia lists her death, but (like everything else on her Wiki page) there isn't a citation to support it. Her Facebook page has a ton of condolences, but that could just be from the same ANN announcement. The most recent post on her Facebook page by HER was six days ago talking about a band covering one of her songs, but no mention of not feeling well was made. So yeah, this COULD still be a hoax via a hacked twitter account.

Update: Wiki has updated her death entry with a citation, but it's the same ANN announcement.  However, if the story wasn't true I would have thought Origa or her management would have said something by now.

I only have a few guests I'd love to see, namely musical. But here goes.

Seiyuu

Daisuke Ono

Mamoru Miyano

Romi Park

Maaya Sakamoto

Rie Kugimiya

Voice Actors

Mona Marshall (although I know she never goes to conventions ^^; )

Yuri Lowenthal

Crispin Freeman

Johnny Yong Bosch

Liam O'Brien

Musical Guests

angela

Kalafina

Yuki Kajiura

FictionJunction

Tsuneyoshi Saito

Tomohito Nishiura

Hiroyuki Sawano

Yousei Teikoku

Chikayo Fukuda

Nana Mizuki

Yuya Matsushita

Of course, anyone would be great. :)

Speaking of manga-ka guests I would suggest Shintaro Kago since his works aren't very conventional and he seems to be active in art/exhibits outside of strictly that of a manga-ka. If manga-ka are too much trouble this year, maybe an artist/animator would be better? My favorite is Maya Takamura and all the work she did for Konami and continues to do for IIDX and on her own is great. An animator would just be nice in general since I feel they'd provide really good insight into the processes of working for companies and their own freelancing.

Someone mentioned light novel authors as guests and I think that'd be a good idea too if they're not as difficult to get as manga-ka, especially with how often many novelists get their works turned into shows and movies nowadays.

As for musical guests I'd like to suggest DISH//. They did endings for Naruto and are MomoClo's brother group but they seem pretty obscure to international fans? They're getting a good footing in Japan within the last year and I think a show from them would be pretty lively since they're kind of unique in a way; a dancing rock band lol.

Music Guests that in Otakon Budget Range. I'm 100% Otakon will choose atleast one of them.

MUSICAL GUESTS

Afilia Saga

Choucho

AKB48

LISA

fripside

Yanagi Nagi

μ's

Wake Up, Girls!-

Lia

Nana Mizuki

LiEN - OMG GET HER FOR THE .HACK SONGS -

Trident-

Chikayo Fukuda - composed .hack//gu songs

IDOLING!!!-

Super Girls-

Nogizaka46

HKT48

NMB48

Chubbiness -

SKE48

E-girls

i☆Ris

Shiritsu Ebisu Chugaku

Prism☆Box

petit milady

Star☆Anis

Prizmmy☆

Cheeky Parade

Dorothy Little Happy

Tokyo Girls Style

Dream5

Happiness

MinxZone

chihiro onitsuka

Since about a month has gone by now, does anyone think that we'll have our first batch of guests announced before pre-registration opens?  I just think that if we get a guest announcement or 2 prior to opening pre-registration, it would give people plenty of time to decide whether or not they want to attend this year.

Now for me, I'm attending regardless of who Otakon invites this year, but all the same, getting to meet certain people whose work I admire is something very meaningful to me, as is with others.  I go to cons like Otakon for 2 different reasons- Just for and my best friend to hang out with our fellows anime fans, nerds, and geeks.  And the other half is getting to meet the people who voiced the characters I really like, or in some cases, have played the songs I listen to, and have created the media behind the scenes.

Just saying is all.  But this all just a question/suggestion.

Top 10 Voice Actors:

01. Karen Strassman

02. Stephanie Sheh

03. Wendee Lee

04. Michelle Ruff

05. Johnny Yong Bosch

06. J. Michael Tatum

07. Crispin Freeman

08. Travis Willingham

09. Trina Nishimura

10. Greg Ayres

Top 10 Voice Actor / Directors:

01. Mike McFarland

02. Tony Oliver

03. Colleen Clinkenbeard

04. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

05. Patrick Seitz

06. Caitlin Glass

07. Richard Epcar

08. Amanda Winn Lee

09. Michael Sinterniklaas

10. Jerry Jewell

Since about a month has gone by now, does anyone think that we'll have our first batch of guests announced before pre-registration opens?  I just think that if we get a guest announcement or 2 prior to opening pre-registration, it would give people plenty of time to decide whether or not they want to attend this year.

Now for me, I'm attending regardless of who Otakon invites this year, but all the same, getting to meet certain people whose work I admire is something very meaningful to me, as is with others.  I go to cons like Otakon for 2 different reasons- Just for and my best friend to hang out with our fellows anime fans, nerds, and geeks.  And the other half is getting to meet the people who voiced the characters I really like, or in some cases, have played the songs I listen to, and have created the media behind the scenes.

Just saying is all.  But this all just a question/suggestion.

Those're actually mostly the reasons why I attend anime conventions (not just Otakon). I work in retail and when I tell my long time customers about my anime etc hobby and that I attend conventions surrounding it and they remember that I go to certain ones during certain times of the year it makes me feel accepted....lack of a better way of describing it.  Back at Otakon 2012 I was able to attend the Hirano Aya concert, and that blew me away. She's so cute in person and seeing her sing the Haruhi songs (as well as her regular Jpop songs) was f-ing amazing! In March I'm going to Japan for "spring break" though it's not a break from school, but still it's a break from work, in the spring... lol and I plan on seeing Jpop group Do As Infinity.

I know I went off topic there somewhat, but I have requested DAI to come to Otakon before...I believe a few years in a row, since about 2011 or 2012? Jim, can you pursue them for 2016 or 2017 should they still be rockin' out then? xD

Edited by GasparAKAShiggitay

English Dub Actors/Actresses

1. Troy Baker

2. Laura Bailey

3. Cherami Leigh

4.Josh Grelle

5. Roger Craig Smith

6. Colleen Clinkenbeard

7. Yuri Lowenthal

8. Janet Varney

9. Carrie Savage

10. Sean Schemmel

Musical Guests:

1. ONE OK ROCK

2. Back-On

3. Maaya Sakamoto

4. Miho Fukuhara

(Sorry that my list is so long!)

I'm not sure if it's too late to give requests for this year. But here goes:

Seiyuu:

Aoi Yūki - Madoka Kaname from "Madoka Magica", Yuuki from "Sword Art Online II", Ichigo Amano from "Yumeiro Patisserie", etc.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aoi_Yuuki

Musical Guest:

Yuki Kajiura - composer for ".Hack//SIGN", "Tsubasa Chronicle", "Madoka Magica", "Sword Art Online" (both series), and others.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuki_Kajiura

Again, thought I should get these in while I can. It may be a little late for this year's Otakon. Plus, it may be wishful thinking. But I might as well put down who I definitely want to see anyway.

I was recommended to put my guest suggestions for Otakon 2015 in here. I only have one person in mind to suggest - Daisuke Ishiwatari. The man who created Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, and did all their music. From what I understand, he has NEVER been a guest at Otakon yet and I think that needs to change. There's a lot of positives for having him as a guest too - with Guilty Gear Xrd having been recently released, we could potentially have him attend a Xrd tournament in the game room, he can talk panels, he could be a full fledged musical guest as well (the music he makes for the Guilty Gear series is nothing short of phenomenal), and of course the usual autograph sessions and whatnot. He might even donate some original GG or BlazBlue art for the charity auction (and I would bid a small fortune to get it). Basically, there's a lot that could be done if we were to get him.

his wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisuke_Ishiwatari

For Otakon guest requests, I know you guys said you won't bring people from Youtube but last year at Otakon I saw LittleKuriboh and his voice actor cast from his abridged series so I'm confused about this. If I could, I would request NateWantsToBattle but like I said, I would if I could. If not, then I would just request guests like Nobuo Uematsu, Todd Haberkorn, and the cast of RWBY.

For Otakon guest requests, I know you guys said you won't bring people from Youtube but last year at Otakon I saw LittleKuriboh and his voice actor cast from his abridged series so I'm confused about this.

While LittleKuriboh and other Internet celebrities don't fall in Otakon's definition of "guest", they are still able to take part in the convention as "panelists" who run one during the con.

For Otakon guest requests, I know you guys said you won't bring people from Youtube but last year at Otakon I saw LittleKuriboh and his voice actor cast from his abridged series so I'm confused about this.

While LittleKuriboh and other Internet celebrities don't fall in Otakon's definition of "guest", they are still able to take part in the convention as "panelists" who run one during the con.

Oh okay, thank you for clarifying TnAdct! I'm kinda new to the whole request thing and Otakon in general since it's going to be my 2nd time attending so it's a bit confusing on how it works xD 

I was recommended to put my guest suggestions for Otakon 2015 in here. I only have one person in mind to suggest - Daisuke Ishiwatari. The man who created Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, and did all their music. From what I understand, he has NEVER been a guest at Otakon yet and I think that needs to change. There's a lot of positives for having him as a guest too - with Guilty Gear Xrd having been recently released, we could potentially have him attend a Xrd tournament in the game room, he can talk panels, he could be a full fledged musical guest as well (the music he makes for the Guilty Gear series is nothing short of phenomenal), and of course the usual autograph sessions and whatnot. He might even donate some original GG or BlazBlue art for the charity auction (and I would bid a small fortune to get it). Basically, there's a lot that could be done if we were to get him.

his wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisuke_Ishiwatari

Daisuke Ishiwatri would be a fantastic idea in celebration of Guilty Gear Xrd. I could fangirl about him for hours, but Trader Jew wrapped up the benefits of having this multi-talented artist pretty well. Having an old-school legend like Mr. Ishiwatri at the biggest convention in the east coast, I think, would be very exciting. Since he's never been to Otakon before, the experience would be extra special for all! 

Long story short, I REALLY want this guy! 

I guess I'll add. I know some may have a few repeats, but I have wishful thinking.

English VA:

Maile Flanagan

Matthew Mercer

Bryce Papenbrook

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

Kate Higgins

Richard Ian Cox

Ian Sinclair

Chris Patton

Luci Christian

Japanese VA:

Ami Koshimizu

Ryoka Yuzuk

Junko Takeuchi

Matsuoka Yoshitsugu

Industry Related:

Ishizaki Toshio

Welp, of all the years Otakon falls back on July is when I'm actually out of the country (or right when I'm coming back, still not concrete on the dates at the moment) so I can't go for the first time since I started going in 2009. Hell, even if it was in August, I wouldn't have any money left over anyway.

That being said, I DO NOT want to see announcements for Steve Blum, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Toshihiro Kawamoto or anybody else from Cowboy Bebop tongue.png .

Still though, I'm bummed. Not bummed enough to chose Otakon over Europe but bummed all the same.

Mangaka:

CLAMP. All of them...

I second this! Many fans, myself included, were unable to see them at Anime Expo and Japan Expo. From what I know, It has been six years since their last appearance at a convention outside of Japan. It would be a great opportunity for many fans to see CLAMP at Otakon one day. If they did attend Otakon, I suggest at least two autograph sessions and a panel. I understand that many fans were content with Japan Expo's two autograph sessions. Unlike the lottery system at Anime Expo where many fans were disappointed. Lottery systems can be cruel when luck is not on your side.

First, good news.  Our first batch of guest announcements is on the dock for next week.  At some point after that, there will be an announcement of a cool industry event.

Second, about CLAMP:

CLAMP comes with a LOT of restrictions and demands -- and while of course we'd love to see them at some point, not only do all the usual difficulties (brutal production schedules, overprotective editors, the need for motivated US publishers to get involved) apply, but from what I've been told, CLAMP cranks those up a few notches.  "Come to Paris" (when half the characters are obsessed with that town) is not a terribly hard sell. "Come and you can visit Disneyland" is similarly attractive.  We, sadly, do not have quite the same draw.  Things may change in DC.

But that said, we know you want manga-ka....

First, good news.  Our first batch of guest announcements is on the dock for next week.  At some point after that, there will be an announcement of a cool industry event.

Second, about CLAMP:

CLAMP comes with a LOT of restrictions and demands -- and while of course we'd love to see them at some point, not only do all the usual difficulties (brutal production schedules, overprotective editors, the need for motivated US publishers to get involved) apply, but from what I've been told, CLAMP cranks those up a few notches.  "Come to Paris" (when half the characters are obsessed with that town) is not a terribly hard sell. "Come and you can visit Disneyland" is similarly attractive.  We, sadly, do not have quite the same draw.  Things may change in DC.

If I may ask, sir- while it is severely challenging to bring in mangakas, is it similarly difficult for light novel authors?  Like when you guys brought in Mr. Reki Kawahara of Sword Art Online and Accel World, was it tough to bring him like it was for any mangaka on your "wish list"?

Oh please,please,please can you try to get KYARY PAMYU PAMYU?! I love her so much and I would go crazy to see her in person. D:

One thing's for sure: if she does appear at Otakon (and if said panel does return this year), she really needs to make a guest appearance during Awesomely Bad Japanese Music Videos. :D

Speaking of Awesomely Bad Japanese Music Videos, who else would like to see Kishiden as a musical guest?

What I really want are manga-ka (and other animation guests) who will actually draw for people if it's requested... And not just in a heavily controlled industry panel where only a very select few might get lucky enough to get something pre-drawn, or a charity auction piece that will get bid up to an insanely high price (though the latter are very much appreciated when I can actually afford them, lol). I was very happy when Hidenori Matsubara agreed to draw something for me after the rest of his autograph line had been cleared. I know in an event like Otakon with crowding issues and high demand for guest facetime that it can be difficult to arrange something like this, but like... Maybe give them space in the artist alley or something? I know a few artists have done that sort of thing at other cons. Maybe this is another thing that can become easier with more space in DC.

Manga-ka nearly always come with strings attached -- they are usually accompanied by their editor, whose job it is to protect the guest, and by extension, the jobs and income that derive from a successful creator.  That is to some extent true of light novel authors as well.

Here are reasons why getting sketches from manga-ka (or other "name" artists) can be tricky.

- Some folks have a personal policy that they don't draw for free.

- Some worry that quick sketches in less-than-ideal circumstances might diminish their image.

- Some may depend more heavily on their team than is commonly known, or have a pretty involved process to get to the art people expect from them.

- A weekend "off", for them, means a temporary respite from grueling nonstop drawing that is their daily routine -- and they simply need to rest their hand. (Yoshiki was in similar mode last year, worried about stressing his hand when the concert of a lifetime lay ahead.)

- They may simply not want to do it.

- There simply isn't time or room in our schedule to accommodate a decent amount of people if they were to do so. (Kouta Hirano decided to sketch, but that meant that only half as many people got to meet him as we'd estimated.)

We typically DO ask if the guest wants to or is willing to do do sketches, and if possible we'd accommodate them.  Much of this simply depends on the individual guest agreement.

Parking Obata in the exhibit hall would generate an endless line from hell, and the folks who run the Art and Exhibitions sections would murder me several times over. 

One thing we're HOPING to get from the move is a bit more flexibility for autographs. That would open up options for longer sessions and potentially allow earlier lineups -- right now the biggest problem is we simply don't have space for it.

Edited by alabaster

Yeah, like I said, I understand the logistical side of the problem. And I'm fine with the artist declining me personally for any of the reasons you've cited. I'm just a fan and I can't control what they're personally willing to do, and I'm not going to throw a tantrum or act all offended if they don't want to draw for me. That's why I always bring a backup item or just have them sign a blank shikishi.

My beef is more with whatever industry people accompany said artist where they completely slam the hammer down and don't allow it at all, regardless of what the artist himself/herself is personally willing to do. Aniplex in particular is extremely guilty of this, even in instances where it makes no sense for them to restrict or forbid it other than them just not wanting to allow it (I also have gripes towards them with straight autograph sessions as well, but that's a separate topic). I realize that I may not be privvy to all the particular details of what their considerations are, but in my personal opinion, if the artist is willing to do it then I don't see why the industry people should see fit to restrict them, or (in Aniplex's case) even go so far as to stipulate that they won't bring the artist to a con unless a "no sketches" restriction is put into place.

If the con wants to restrict it for the logistical reasons you've cited then I understand that. I'm aware that it takes a long time and that doing it during an autograph session holds a lot of people up that might only be there for a signature, so if the line is long and time and space are restricted then okay, no sketches, not a problem. Though a nice compromise on that angle might be restricting it so that only five or ten sketches maximum are done per session and anyone else who requests one is declined. I've seen several other cons do this and it seems to work well. I do appreciate that you at least ask the artist if they're willing to do sketches, though I've never really seen the information on whether they are or not publicized anywhere prior to me getting up to the table and asking the artist and/or the staff. It would be nice to have it posted ahead of time in some form or fashion, maybe a note on the Guidebook entry for the autograph session?

I also agree that having more space after the move to DC will help on the autograph front and I'm very much looking forward to it for that reason.

If you can at least get charity auction sketches then I'll be happy to bid on those if direct requests aren't an option. Actually I went both ways this past year with Matsubara, since I got a personal sketch from him and then won the charity auction sketch. I was more than prepared to put up a fight for SUSHIO's sketches at Otakon Vegas this year so I'm a little disappointed that I'll have to wait until July, but I do understand your reasoning behind that decision. However, I'll point out that I personally have paid upwards of $3,500 for a sketch at a charity auction before, and I know people who were at OV in anticipation of getting something from SUSHIO who have spent as much as $4,000 or $5,000. I kind of think you shot yourself in the foot on that one since not all of those people venture out to the East Coast either, but if I don't blow my money at the other 3 cons I'm planning to attend between now and Otakon then I'll certainly bid his stuff up this July. smile.png

From what I read that's a fairly accurate explanation why manga-ka are difficult to bring over.  Also, some Industry provided guests are bound by whatever they or their agent(s) agree to with the Industry people, not necessarily with the convention.  It's not like a guest can do just anything while appearing at a convention no, if be sketches, autographs, etc.

Personally, I'm still skeptical about what moving down the PARKWAY will do regarding autograph lines.

^Looking at the layout of the DC convention center there's several places that Otakon could set up autograph lines in an area out of the way from the rest of the con AND with plenty of room. I wouldn't be concerned with how they'll handle DC. :)

Excited to learn which guests will be invited this year. I should actually be able to come this year, at least for a day or two, so I'm in anticipatory bliss.

Would it be too late to request guests at this point? I have no idea about the timeframe in which cons get their guests. I'm pushing it a bit, but I'd really love to have some (preferably all, but I realize that's almost guaranteed not to happen) of the VAs who worked on the game HuniePop to be guests or at the very least panelists at Otakon 2015. IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3593530/

At the very least, these people have had roles in anime/Japanese games:

Kira Buckland

Brittany Lauda

Marie Rhys

Amber Lee Connors

Sarah Wiedenheft

--------------------------------------------

If you could squeeze them in, I'd like to make special exceptions for Ryan Koons and Jack Hernandez. Jack in particular would really love to be a guest and/or do a panel with the HuniePop team.

Mm, sorry to burst your bubble, I don't think HuniePop would fall into Otakon's specific specialty range. They tend to focus solely on things that can be linked directly to East Asian culture, not on non-East-Asian culture related western products. This tends to mean Japanese media (anime, games, drama, music, etc.) and Korean media (typically K-pop). Given, if the western product has a direct link to East Asian culture, an exception can be made. I think it's been mentioned several times that Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra guests are considered often, and certainly things akin to US-based Japanese/Korean/Chinese traditional art programs/troupes and stuff like representatives from US shinto shrines and buddhist temples could be considered.Yes, HuniePop has an anime-esque design and VNs/date sims are popular in Japan, but it's a completely North American product with nothing much to do with East Asian culture to my knowledge. Further, as far as bringing them individually goes... none of the guests mentioned have many, if any, official roles to their name, and Otakon doesn't seem fond of inviting guests known for abridged series- typically they have to come as panelists/artists/dealers themselves. I'd suggest asking a different local con of your choice to get them?

They all seem super talented and I'm sure they'd be lovely to meet, but I don't think they fit Otakon's scope...

If I'm wrong on any of this, staff, lemme know.

Nice to hear that we'll be getting some guest announcements soon! I'm really looking forward to see who's coming this year. Regarding certain guests, I've also got some beef with how some are handled through their managers/agents etc. I'm fully aware that certain guests have restrictions in place and come with strings attached which is beyond our control, however sometimes the way the guest(s) are handled can be a little bit nerve wracking. Heck, I'm still slightly salty because of how Tetsuya Kakihara was handled when he was at Otakon, but I now realize that it might have been partially my fault that I got cut when I did.

As for bad handling, I've got a story here. I'm pretty sure I've told this story already on the forums here, but I remember at another con I was in a panel with about six guests in attendance. They held an autograph session in the same room immediately afterward. However, the only way to get their autographs was if you won multiple rounds of janken until you were in the last 100 people standing out of a few combined full ballrooms full of people, all in the name that it would be true to one of the seiyuu's characters. That was one of my worst autograph experiences, even though I was in said 100 people at the end by some stroke of luck. I understand that these things happen, but I'm always hopeful that I never see guests handled like that ever again, even if it may be beyond anyone's control.