• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.  Highly prolific since 2005?  Not many fit that description.  The ones that come to mind would be Ando, Imaishi, and Igarashi.

Hopefully you can get the guest announcements off as quickly as possible.

Edited by Jarmel

I already have an idea of what one er two of the premieres will be, but if it's something else I'm pondering you Otakon goers are going to freak.

There are two seiyuu I am thinking of (both Alabaster has mentioned in the past on his wish list, one female and one male). Hoping it is one of those but I am afraid to say it, in case I jinx it. My hopes are already up. I hope the announcement is soon.

A voice actor known more for his/her video game work until recently?  I'm going to make a guess, and say that it's Bryce Papenbrook.  He has done a lot of work on video games, but has been doing a lot more anime in recent years.  Particularly with series like Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan, and Blue Exorcist.

^ Don't get your hopes up about Kappei Yamaguchi he came before & from the description it sounds like someone new.

It's not Kappei Yamaguchi, though I hear he would like to come back at some point when schedules work out. We were his first.

Look like we'll be the first US one for this seiyu too. :)

I've been hoping to get the chance to see Schemmel and Sabat at the same con for a while. Now hopefully I can actually make it to Otakon and see their events together, get both of their autographs, etc. A lot of wishful thinking, but the opportunity for any of that is plenty welcome.

I've never heard of Draft King and it doesn't look like they've done anything in anime, so I probably won't be seeing them unless there's somehow nothing going on at the time.

I'm... trying not to get my hopes up for the seiyuu who recently made a splashy return in his big award-winning role... or a premier of that film... or the English voice actor of that role... or the director... or anyone else from that series.

Except I can't help it because my life revolves around that series, I'm way too obsessed.

But it fits, as far as I can tell from googling, he hasn't been to a US convention.

If it's the one I'm thinking of or anyone else from Durarara!! plus Toshiyuki Toyonaga, I miiight have to cosplay something from that.

Edit: ohmygod, if that mwahaha is a hint... 

Edited by LavenderMintRose

I've never heard of Draft King and it doesn't look like they've done anything in anime, so I probably won't be seeing them unless there's somehow nothing going on at the time.

Most of the members of the band performed previously as Stereo Pony. They did the opening theme for the second Darker Than Black series.

I'm... trying not to get my hopes up for the seiyuu who recently made a splashy return in his big award-winning role... or a premier of that film... or the English voice actor of that role... or the director... or anyone else from that series.

Except I can't help it because my life revolves around that series, I'm way too obsessed.

But it fits, as far as I can tell from googling, he hasn't been to a US convention.

If it's the one I'm thinking of or anyone else from Durarara!! plus Toshiyuki Toyonaga, I miiight have to cosplay something from that.

Edit: ohmygod, if that mwahaha is a hint...

One of my guesses is in Drrr. Mind you that covers quite a few big names seiyuu.

I've been hoping to get the chance to see Schemmel and Sabat at the same con for a while. Now hopefully I can actually make it to Otakon and see their events together, get both of their autographs, etc. A lot of wishful thinking, but the opportunity for any of that is plenty welcome.

Believe it or not, Otakon doesn't ONLY bring folks with ties to anime, nor ONLY giant stars -- we've long brought up-and-coming, or otherwise under-appreciated, acts as well.

Draft King is *most* of Stereopony, who did what by all accounts was an amazing show in Boston a few years ago -- so we know they can rock the house. But they're relatively new as DraftKing, and the sound is a little different,  so if we can help them get some deserved publicity and attention, all the better. Remember, our mission is at least partly about bringing something new or rare -- sometimes it's huge, hard-to-get, well-established stars; sometimes it's awesome bands you might otherwise miss out on.

The question to ask is: have we steered you wrong before when it comes to music?

I hope you'll give them a chance, because these gals ROCK.

Believe it or not, Otakon doesn't ONLY bring folks with ties to anime, nor ONLY giant stars -- we've long brought up-and-coming, or otherwise under-appreciated, acts as well.

Draft King is *most* of Stereopony, who did what by all accounts was an amazing show in Boston a few years ago -- so we know they can rock the house. But they're relatively new as DraftKing, and the sound is a little different,  so if we can help them get some deserved publicity and attention, all the better. Remember, our mission is at least partly about bringing something new or rare -- sometimes it's huge, hard-to-get, well-established stars; sometimes it's awesome bands you might otherwise miss out on.

The question to ask is: have we steered you wrong before when it comes to music?

I hope you'll give them a chance, because these gals ROCK.

...and it's that mission that made 2009 my all-favorite Otakon.

I too can't wait for this next batch of announces, especially those remaining Eng. VA guests you're teasing!  Speaking of which, I want to submit a LATE guest request...Erin Fitzgerald.

Lauren Landa is a very solid choice to have for a guest.  She's great as Kasumi on the Dead or Alive games, Leia on Tales of Xillia, Annie Lockhart on Attack on Titan, and Kyouko on Madoka Magica.

As for the other 2 dub actors, I'm hoping one of them is Bryce Papenbrook!  But whoever it is, is okay with me, depending on who they might be.

If this new guess-the-guest is who I think it is, I just got like five of their songs stuck in my head after answering it lol. Very catch. 

.... which reminds me, I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up that the other one would be Kalafina (especially since Otakon doesn't like to bring groups that are already popular). And I shouldn't get my hopes up that the seiyuu will be... let's call him "3". It might be "3" but it could also be "9". If it's 3, though, I'll love you forever. (Actually, it could also be "4"...)

(I also love you forever if you get the number references)

Well, here's two more guests for you, both directors with some *really* solid credits....

You got that right, and those two I wouldn't mind meeting!

It almost surely can't happen this year, but for the sake of the future, I would love for Sayo Yamamoto to appear as a guest.

She has directed Michiko e Hatchin (soon to appear on Toonami), Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~, openings and endings for several shows, such as Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, and episodes of shows including Samurai Champloo and Texhnolyze.  She's also a protégé of Shinichiro Watanabe.  Sayo Yamamoto is an interesting and exiting talent whom I'd love to get a chance to see at Otakon.

While I'm at it, I'd also love to see Rie Matsumoto be a guest.  She directed the perhaps slightly obscure, but excellent as well as creative, artistically exciting Kyōsōgiga and is presently directing the successful spring season series Blood Blockade Battlefront.  Oh, and she did some Pretty Cure stuff too.

OMG Paku Romi I am so happy. I remember she was supposed to go to Anime Expo one year (which I was insanely jealous about) but at the last minute had problems with her passport. Anyways you do not know how happy this made me. That being said I am super nervous about getting her autograph (and here I thought this would be a calm Otakon for me). She is one of the top seiyuu I wanted to meet. So excited and nervous now.

Note: Paku Romi was one of my two guesses the other one was Miyano Mamoru. I was afraid to say before because I didn't want to jinx it. :)

KENSHIN-SAMA!

KENSHIN-SAMAAAA!!!

... ahem. >_>;  That's out of my system.

Thank you all so so much for managing to get her to come! This is like such.... an amazingly huge deal for me. I adore so many of her roles, but especially

Anyway, given her huuuuge popularity in regards to being Ed, will the autographs situation be like it was for TMR and Yoko Kanno? Or should we just like... hope that we'll be able to meet her and throw ourselves into the void outside the autographs line?

Also, how would any Q&A panels with her go? Any audience questions or a way to submit questions to be considered?

I'm sorry I know you guys are still hammering out the details... but quite literally I'm willing to devote my entire con experience to meeting her. ;_;

I just hope we know the plans before July 2nd (that is when I have to make room changes with Experient)

I want to know if I need my Thursday room in case I need to line up early on Friday like I did with Yoko Kanno.

And I just pray it is not a lottery system.

I just hope we know the plans before July 2nd (that is when I have to make room changes with Experient)

I want to know if I need my Thursday room in case I need to line up early on Friday like I did with Yoko Kanno.

The only way a lottery system would work is if it was opt in. I'm sure there are people coming to Otakon who've no interest in meeting her, so if they got picked it'd be beyond unfair. And I'm not sure how you'd handle a lottery system properly if it is opt-in. Probably best to do what they did with TMR and Kanno-san. Line up outside at one of the exits, etc. tongue.png

EDIT: Holy double post batman what the heck happened? I sure didn't MEAN to do that.

Edited by Tachibana

The only way a lottery system would work is if it was opt in. I'm sure there are people coming to Otakon who've no interest in meeting her, so if they got picked it'd be beyond unfair.

Yeah, this is always going to be a problem with a lottery system. People are going to enter the lottery almost regardless of whether they really are interested in what the lottery is for, simply because it is free and takes virtually no effort.

Well, Romi-san is incredibly popular. Just a cursory twitter search reveals a LOT of people excited about the announcement and that's just on Twitter. It might be possible to have a normal autograph session as was done with Tomokazu Seki, but I'm almost positive he doesn't have the same "star power". Such things come with voicing Edward Elric I guess haha.

Saw someone jokingly suggest no signing of FMA products or paraphernalia, which would cut down the line a lot but really wouldn't be fair to all the FMA fans, so I disagree with the idea, hehe.

I think the Yoko Kanno/TM Revolution autograph line would be best. They were both extremely popular guests and the line was well organized. Of course in that situation you probably did have less people because people had to choose between them.

A regular autograph line in that small area would be complete chaos.

I guess I better keep that Thursday Hotel room after all.

Glad you guys are excited; I am too!

And we understand the concern about how we'll run the autographs.  We're working on it and are aware of the various conflicting preferences.

Autographs are always a limited commodity and assuming we got the usual 2 hour-long sessions, only a few hundred people are going to get them. There's just a limit to how much can physically be done to accommodate the demand.

But hey guys, we still have a few guests to announce.  Tomorrow's the Sunday act, and then some more guests next week. :)

Yeah, I'd be excited for this announcement except I'm wondering about the autograph situation too. I detest lotteries and I would absolutely loathe having one for a guest like this (or any guest really). Would rather have the 6 AM Friday morning line for passes than that.

The new autograph area that was set up last year where Saori Hayami had her autograph session would be ideal for a guest like this, so I hope they use it again and just have an open autograph session. And more than one session would also be ideal. I think Jim mentioned having her for the entire weekend earlier so maybe that's possible. But until I hear more details my excitement is going to be a bit tamped down.

The new autograph area that was set up last year where Saori Hayami had her autograph session would be ideal for a guest like this, so I hope they use it again and just have an open autograph session. And more than one session would also be ideal. I think Jim mentioned having her for the entire weekend earlier so maybe that's possible. But until I hear more details my excitement is going to be a bit tamped down.

Yea I heard that went pretty well, so maybe something like that.

Yeah what the others said, please no lottery. I'd rather line up early morning for passes like I did for TMR in 2013. I'm also seconding using the Hyatt again like you guys did for Saori Hayami last year, since that worked out very well in terms of space and control. Hayami's autograph line last year was one of the best I'd been in at Otakon organization-wise. I could see multiple sessions being ideal as well given Romi Park's popularity. I do understand that she can't be signing all day, but I wonder if she can't have her autograph limit increased beyond 100 or something.

The fact that Romi Park played Edward Elric in FMA alone has me scared at the size of her line, but that won't stop me from trying.