Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mellow-osity

2014 Hotel Reviews

Question

Going to start a separate topic just for hotel reviews as someone mentioned in another post. Here's mine for this year: 

I usually stay at the Sheraton City Center, but apparently they were bought and are going through various renovations. I got bumped over the Monaco - which was never on my radar before because I'm assuming it's VERY expensive. Part of my stay was being covered by the Sheraton as they couldn't accommodate last minute. 

I have NEVER stayed in such a plush hotel. We go a king with a pullout included. The room was super spacious and modern with HUGE bathroom. Staff was super friendly and professional. They had a free coffee/tea service available in the morning which I took advantage of - this was exceptional coffee and tea. Mmm... They also had a wine tasting and passed apps hour which I didn't get to go to. 

SO NICE. I would consider staying here again if I didn't know it was going to be out of my budget. :P 

My only complaint is that when getting moved here with Experient, they forgot to mention that the pullout was $20 extra each night. Originally, they had claimed this new hotel would be the same rate as the original hotel I booked and the pullout was included on my confirmation so...yeah. :/ 

34 answers to this question

I stayed at the Mount Vernon Hotel this year on N Charles Street. It was in a nice enough area (had no problems walking the streets between the hotel and BCC) and it was only a 15 minute walk to the BCC. The total cost for the weekend (Thursday-Sunday) was right at $400 and it was honestly worth the money. I've seen some bad reviews on the Mount Vernon, but it's an old building so things won't be perfect. The wifi wasn't the best, though I didn't really use it much anyway, and I do wish they had more modern TVs, but other than that there was nothing wrong with the room. The staff was very friendly and it had free breakfast (wasn't much, but it was free) and a parking garage across the street which cost about $38 for the weekend. There were different restaurants really close and 7-11s everywhere. If/when I go back to Otakon in Baltimore, I'll definitely look into this place again.

Stayed at the Days Inn which was wonderful and more than worth the price, as always. Simply can't beat $112 a person for four people over three nights. Its close proximity to the convention is priceless, and the efficiency and enthusiasm of the staff during the weekend is delightful. They are constantly improving their facilities and everything is nice and clean. The beds are lovely and the rooms aren't too small and have huge fridges. Also, props to the front desk for getting me extra towels even though I asked for them just before midnight on Thursday. I will most certainly be staying there next year! :)

We booked via the Otakon hotel block and stayed at the Baltimore Harbor Hotel (former Sheraton Baltimore City Center). Most likely the last year we stay there, here is the Yelp review I did.

For many years the group I travel with has stayed here during Otakon with pleasant experiences. On the Sheraton Baltimore City Center Yelp page I gave this hotel a four star rating. The situation has greatly changed with the hotel no longer being a Sheraton. From the outside it looks slightly different with changed signage and a coat of paint. Valet parking staff are still excellent and were nothing but helpful. The South Tower is now closed and it was the first time we roomed in the North Tower. The North Tower was a world of difference in the wrong direction. Starting off, the room for a double was smaller than the ones in the South Tower were.

What we found in our room:

1. Capped electrical wires had fallen out of the bottom of the rooms cooling unit.

2. Graffiti/Vandalism was written on the inside of the closet wall.  

3. The center divider on the top of the table in our room had broken loose.

4. The electrical socket closest to our bed was loose and falling out of the wall.

The room remained functional but we reported many of these problems to hotel staff immediately. Checkout was even more of a disaster then Otakon Sunday tradition. Of the three elevators, one broke, leaving two functional units for 20+ floors. Another surprise we received, when calling for a baggage cart is the bellhop position at the hotel has been terminated. You have to get your own carts from the lobby and transport your own luggage. My friend and I carried our luggage down seven floors to the lobby via the stairs, consequently reducing my rating from three stars to two. The only reason we are giving two stars to this hotel is because the staff were excellent and helpful, that has not changed. Our group has made the decision to look into other options in the harbor area after this year as the hotel has visibly gone backwards. I can't recommend this hotel right now.

Stayed at the Lord Baltimore Hotel. The walk to the BCC was a lot shorter than I expected, nice room and the staff was great, plus the rate was only $15 more per night than the Days Inn. The only issue I had was the creepy elevators - it looks like they overlooked those when they renovated the hotel. They'd be moving when the doors were still partly open and jerk to a stop/start. Not fun. I'd stay there again overall, but hope for a room closer to ground level so I could use the stairs.

We stayed at The Lord baltimore hotel as well and I can definitely vouch for the creepy/haunted elevators. The best part is when you are alone in the elevator at 7am and it jerks you around a bit then takes you to the lower lobby instead of the lobby. I was 100% expecting a creepy child to go running down the hall when the doors opened. Oh and you could see down the elevator shaft if you looked down at the threshold. Other than that, it was great! Staff was so nice. We came very early for gofer orientation and they were able to set us up in our room around 8am instead of the regular 4pm check in so that we wouldn't have to check our bags. Going to try for the days inn next year since it is literally right across the street and I will have a baby by then and won't feel like walking through a lot of Baltimore traffic.

We stayed as Holiday Inn Inner Harbor like we usually do every year.

The only problems we really had were:

1) The shower pressure seemed to die over the weekend. The only way we could get water to come out of the shower head was if the handle thing was exactly in the middle, even then it was so so weak.

2) At one point there was no hot water. Mom went and complained to front desk and they said they were repairing something? I have no idea how long this lasted....

3) Their Wi-Fi screwed me (and my iPod) over every night in that I could not get a stable connection no matter what I tried. I could get better connection with BCC Wi-Fi during the same time of day. Was really upset about this....I'm determined to "bring my own hotspot" next year no matter what anyone else in my family says in protest....

Some good/great things to note:

1) So happy they let us check into the hotel around 9-10 am-ish on Thursday. One less thing to worry about on that weird Thurs...

2) They had free popcorn in the lobby Thursday afternoon I believe, in addition to those dispensers of flavor-enhanced water (or whatever is the right way to call em). A bit bummed they didn't leave the water there all weekend like they did last year....

3) One of the restaurant wait staff was really awesome. I've never seen him in past years so I guess he's new but he constantly checked on us and did some things above and beyond in my book. Gave him a slightly bigger tip the last day we were there ; ) Didn't see him as we were leaving though, hope he stays well.

I've been going to Otakon for 7 years now and have jumped from hotel to hotel each year. This was my 2nd year in the Holiday Inn and once again I had a WONDERFUL experience! The room comfortably fit me and 5 other people, with two beds and a cot...they have a lovely indoor pool (great if you wanna swim and it's raining!) plus there is a sauna and a fitness center. Complimentary water bottles in the gift shop, free popcorn in the lobby and flavored waters...apparently if you pay with cash, like I did, you don't even need to go through a huge checkout process, you're all good! The bag check on Sunday helped a ton, since we just checked out, dropped off our bags, hung out at the con, and then came back. 

The only cons I had were...the bathroom sink for some reason would not drain most of the time, and when it did it was slow, the drain wouldn't go up no matter what. 

The elevators kept breaking down, to the point where only one was working one day, and one of them the lights all went out. The last con was the Wi-Fi...it was awful...no matter what I did I could not get even a semi-decent connection on either my phone or my tablet. 

Basically though, the pros FAR outweigh the cons. I love this hotel, it's probably the best one I've stayed at in the area. 

We've stayed at the Hilton almost every single year since it's opened; pricey, sure, but just can't beat the convenience. Only real complaint I would have is that the water pressure in the shower was really, really weak at times, but that seems to be a pretty common hotel problem. Other than that, nothing to really complain about.

As mentioned we've stayed here a lot, but this year for the first time I can recall we had an AMAZING view of Camden Yards from our hotel window that I just have to share. Was really neat coming back and catching a few innings from our window. https://twitter.com/toshanshuinLA/status/497903374134960128

Stayed at the Marriott this year, it was my second time staying in this hotel and I must say they greatly improved this year. Unlike last year, they offered free Wi-Fi for the entire weekend. The Marriott also had in house dinner specials, the hotel channel playing anime 24/7, and a social room. It was pretty cool and they really went out of their way to welcome everyone.

Overall had an awesome experience.

i have always stayed at the Renaissance Baltimore Harbor Place when attending Otokan.  I will admit that it is a bit pricey especially when I am the only person paying for the room, but Otokan is a vacation for me and I like to stay someplace nice.  If you were lucky enough to stay on the 12th floor you had free access to the lounge in the morning for a free breakfast buffet.  The hotel staff is always very friendly and accommodating.  The biggest plus is that the sky walk is connected to the hotel so I don't have to worry about crossing the street at times.  The underground parking garage is also a nice perk.  I would recommend the hotel for anyone who wants to stay in a high class place while attending the con.

Stayed at the Marriott this year, it was my second time staying in this hotel and I must say they greatly improved this year. Unlike last year, they offered free Wi-Fi for the entire weekend. The Marriott also had in house dinner specials, the hotel channel playing anime 24/7, and a social room. It was pretty cool and they really went out of their way to welcome everyone.

I stayed at the Days Inn this year with a couple of other people. It was an amazing experience. The bed was nice and comfy, the wifi was great, and the location was by far the best! No other hotel beats it. My only con is the room size. It's not as big as the room at the holiday inn where I stayed at last year, and with 5 other people rooming with me, we had to step over each other and move around a little bit. But overall, it was still a great hotel and we had a great stay.

For the past 7-8 years I have lucked out and gotten a room at the Days Inn for Otakon. This is the last year I'll be staying there. The rooms are nice, but still, it's a Days Inn, and the vast majority of them are small. A friend of mine lucked out and got a bigger room with a queen size bed and a pull-out sofa, though, but it just seems to be luck of the draw when Experient doles out the rooms.

I had a good time at the Days Inn, but considering I always have friends room with me, the size definitely is an issue, even when I get two double beds in the room. The clincher for me was that on Sunday, the hotel would not let me store three things (my suitcase, my computer bag, and my sleeping bag). There wasn't enough room in my suitcase to consolidate my computer bag in it, so I had to get on the light rail back to North Linthicum just to put away my stuff. I'm sure there was an easier way to do this, but I was just so ticked off from that one experience that I will not be going back to the Days Inn next year.

I'm probably going to book at the Holiday Inn, the Marriott (across from Camden Yards), or the Hilton. We'll see how this goes.

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency this year, which was overall a positive experience.

Service: Excellent!  Every member of the staff that I interacted with was friendly and helpful.  We needed a microwave and it arrived in our room within a half hour in the middle of the night.  They helped us with food delivery when we were starving after the Thursday night disaster.  When I asked for some extra toiletries, they threw in way more than I asked for so we had enough for the entire weekend.  It was great!

Room: The room we were in is definitely in need of some maintenance.  The shower handle was falling off, and many of the outlets were strangely loose or non-functioning.  Still, the beds were comfortable, it was easy to adjust the temperature, our TV was large, and we never had a problem with the water pressure (taking showers either around 8AM or 12AM).  WiFi was a little slow starting up but I managed to stream YouTube videos and didn't have any major problems...plus it was free (you could upgrade to a faster connection for $5 but we didn't need to).  For some reason they have a mini-bar that wasn't stocked...so we just used that as our refrigerator and were never charged for it :)

Location: It's great to be connected to the convention center via the skybridge (or whatever it's called), though it is physically a bit farther than some of the other hotels.  The bridge is large enough that there's hardly ever any heavy people-traffic, and you don't have to stop for traffic lights so it never took us very long to get to the convention center.

Other Stuff: It was a little more than I would spend for the quality of the room, and in the future I'd probably spring a little extra for the Hilton, or try for the Days Inn/Holiday Inn if they're not full.  I'm not sure if the Hyatt offered free bottled water like some of the other hotels did, but if they did they did not advertise it (though they did have water in the lobby).  The elevators are really super-fast and didn't break down as far as I know.  In the future it wouldn't be my first choice...but it's not a bad choice.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn again and overall it was great.  We had two rooms on the second floor right next to the stairs so we never needed to use the elevators.  The only hiccup was it took forever to get our rooms on Thursday - we arrived early and tons of of other people were getting their rooms but ours weren't ready.  Not a huge deal but we later found out that the person that checked us in misunderstood what we wanted and reserved two specific adjoining rooms for us that seemed to be last on the housekeeping list - we just wanted two on the same floor.  Another staff member was able to set us up as soon as we said that so our 4 hour wait was for nothing.  

The only other issues were that one of the rooms we had seemed to have a lot of things broken - the box spring of one of the mattresses was broken so the whole bed slid to the side (and we needed to fit two people in that bed), a lot of outlets didn't work, and the shower had problems draining so we were showering in ankle-deep dirty water.  They tried to fix the shower and bed but they couldn't do much about the bed with the hotel full so they knocked $50 off our rate.  We were told the shower was fixed but it wasn't so we dealt with it.  

The staff are always super nice and try to get into the Otakon spirit.  Also the fridge, microwave, and free wifi made the weekend so much easier.  We were able to pack lunches and keep dinner leftovers which helped the wallet.   I'm already set up to return next year. 

For the past 7-8 years I have lucked out and gotten a room at the Days Inn for Otakon. This is the last year I'll be staying there. The rooms are nice, but still, it's a Days Inn, and the vast majority of them are small. A friend of mine lucked out and got a bigger room with a queen size bed and a pull-out sofa, though, but it just seems to be luck of the draw when Experient doles out the rooms.

I stayed at the Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Inner Harbor. This was my second time staying at this hotel and I have to say I was very happy with it, once again.

A few points:

• The staff were friendly and helpful. They seemed pretty curious and excited about the con and were asking people about it xD.
  • The wi-fi was free and reliable, much better/faster than what I'm used to with hotel wi-fi. Probably because it's a smaller hotel.
  • There was complimentary breakfast with a reasonable selection of things to eat. Definitely made my morning much easier not having to stop somewhere to get breakfast.
  • The elevator was kind of slow but the hotel only has 5 floors so you can take the stairs if you're in a hurry.

The only downside is the distance from the BCC. Its about a mile away, which was about a 20 minute walk or longer if you got stuck at all the crosswalks. Its not too bad in the morning but it was unbearable at night when we had been walking around the con for 12+ hours. Going back to the room to drop off stuff during the day was also not really an option. My feet were in pretty terrible pain all weekend :'(. The location is not the hotel's fault so I'm not holding it against them, of course.... but I was very happy to snag up a hotel closer to the BCC for 2015. If you want a slightly cheaper option and don't mind walking/taking the bus/taxi I would still recommend the Fairfield Inn!!

We stayed at the Hampton Inn across from Camden Yards. It was absolutely terrible. Never again. We usually stay at the Days or Holiday, but we didn't have any luck booking those two places this year, so we figured this was ok, since we'd had a decent experiences at Hampton brand hotels before.

Staff::  Rude, condescending, and generally unfriendly - save for the valets and the lifeguard at their pool. The woman who was their general manager had a major attitude problem and was clearly biased to ANYONE that was blatantly a convention attendee, since those were the only people she seemed to go out of her way to be a jerk to. If you were there for any of the ravens/oriele's games, you got treated like an actual person instead of an annoyance.

Check-in::  Inconvenient to say the least. I called ahead specifically and spoke to said general manager (remember it was the same name and voice), about paying for our stay with cash. ALL of our stay, as in parking too. We were assured this wasn't going to be an issue. Upon check in they insisted that our parking be paid for with a credit card. The story then changed to "well we need a credit card on file for security deposit purposes incase there's any room damage, so that why you have to pay for parking on the card."  When I asked why they couldn't just put our card on file as a security and let us pay the parking in cash, the general manager told me that I was being "argumentative" and that I "needed to lower my voice and calm down and stop arguing with her" or else she would have us thrown out and we wouldn't have a room at all. I was speaking calmly and quietly, btw, so guess that was threatening to her. She insisted that my friend walk 3 miles to the only branch of her bank to deposit money into her account so that her card could be charged for the parking when we checked out, and as punishment for not having parking paid for in advance - cut the phone service to our room.( but made sure to call on the room phone and harass us about the card and depositing money into the bank 4 times on Thursday night and Friday morning )  She also refused to get me the hotel manager. I had to walk down to the basement to get one of the other managers to get the hotel manager for me.

Room::  The bed was like a brick and had a spring poking through the mattress which they'd tried to cover with a mattress pad. The wall behind the door actually had a baseball sized hole smashed into it. The room itself was dingy and seedy looking and not at all like the rooms advertised. I made them come up and sign off on a documented list of room damages, so that there was no way we were charged for anything. The room also hadn't been properly cleaned in who knows how long. I was getting allergy attacks every night I tried to go to sleep. Took till Sunday night for me to realize the top of the headboard was COATED in a thick layer of dust. Like I'm talking I actually ran a black sock over it and there was gobs stuck to the sock. The manager tried to argue with me and tell me that amount of dust accumulated from the ONE day that we had the "do not disturb" sign up.

There was a decent free hot breakfast available every morning, and coffee/tea available free 24/7. Small indoor pool and hot-tub were ok too. Though the pool towels were literally the size of a hand towel.

Distance to the BCC is ok. Two blocks approx. Though you could walk half a block, enter the Hilton, and just navigate the sky bridge instead of standing outdoors, so that was one of the only pros.

Since the manager cut our phone service, we had to go down to the front desk for anything we needed and were promptly met with more attitude. The one guy even rolled his eyes (wish I was joking).

After all complaints and lengthy discussion were had upon check out with the hotel manager, we walked away with our parking comp'd and a night's stay refunded by mailed check (since they "don't have any cash on hand ever ".  Please keep in mind that they have a giant plaque on their front desk that reads "if you aren't 100 percent happy, we don't expect you to pay.". I'm still not 100 percent happy, so I proceeded to file a formal complaint with their corperate guest services office. 

Staying at the Days Inn this year. I've had great experiences with them in the past. I have nothing but good things to say about the Holiday Inn too.

EDIT::  We weren't the only people to have the same issue at check-in btw. They screwed over quite a deal of people who tried to check in and pay with cash.

I was in the Marriott as well, had a much better experience than I had been anticipating, since I considered it a downgrade from the larger room with free wifi and breakfast I usually have at the springhill or residence inn. 

All the staff I interacted with was friendly, although check in took a bit longer than typical. While the room was smaller, it was still plenty of room for my group. It did have a fridge, and the lack of in room microwave was addressed by the social room. I also never had to wait for an elevator very long, a problem i've had before in larger convention hotels (not exactly the same scale, but thinking of you, gaylord national). The free wifi with passcode "SAILORMOON" was an unexpected but awesome touch, and I liked that they bothered to do the anime channel, even if it spent most of the time stuck on DVD menus waiting for someone somewhere to press play. At one point I called for a spare blanket and through some kind of pleasant mix-up, a rollaway bed also arrived later. While I had given up the complimentary breakfast of previous hotels, they gave me a bunch of food vouchers because I booked with my dad's platinum rewards points, so I got my breakfast anyway. Pretty sure they also comped part of the parking fee. Not really pertinent to most people's experience but it made mine better.

Best surprise was the location. Had I spent more time over by the charles st lobby, it wouldn't have been much better than the other hotels, but as luck would have it I spent most of my time right across the street at panels in the hilton. 

If I can get it again it's a serious contender for my hotel next year. Really good experience.

By the way, did you enter that "Cleanest Room" contest? I'm always neat and clean with my room in general and I always throw my trash out in the trash cans that are outside the hotel. But just wondering if you entered or even got that card from management.

By the way, did you enter that "Cleanest Room" contest? I'm always neat and clean with my room in general and I always throw my trash out in the trash cans that are outside the hotel. But just wondering if you entered or even got that card from management.

Your hotel had a cleanest room contest? How did that go about? Was there a prize?

Yeah, the prize was two free nights at the hotel. So it was a big incentive. The thing I didn't like though was the winner was contacted by e-mail on Monday, so we don't find out who wins.

I had a quick question.  I'm in the process of reserving for next year. When exactly is your card charged for the hotel room through Otakon's reservation system?  I seem to remember it was about 3 weeks before the event from the last time I did it but that was several years ago. Thanks!

I had a quick question.  I'm in the process of reserving for next year. When exactly is your card charged for the hotel room through Otakon's reservation system?  I seem to remember it was about 3 weeks before the event from the last time I did it but that was several years ago. Thanks!

Hotel's typically don't run the charge until after your stay is completed. Experient is no different. I stayed at the Days Inn thursday night through experient, card was processed after I checked out.

My group stayed at the Holiday Inn this year. Overall it was a nice experience. I did notice though after we checked in on Thursday that our hallway had a strange smell and was quite warm. Not sure what was going on there. Our shower had some issues as well similar to what others have mentioned. The bed I slept on had some spring problems. I really thought that one was going to pop through the mattress. Also as others have mentioned- the wifi. I tried connecting both my iPhone and iPad and no good even though I had a friend in the room that had no issue with her laptop.

I will say that I have booked my room for next year at the Hampton. We stayed there in 2012 and had no problem with the staff and we paid cash for the room. Hampton overall has high standards for their hotels so definitely report any issues you have had. Looks like they have changed staff since we were there before.

I plan to stay at the Holiday Inn next year but what I read about the Wifi concerns me. Was there a hard wire connection available? If so did anyone try it?

I plan to stay at the Holiday Inn next year but what I read about the Wifi concerns me. Was there a hard wire connection available? If so did anyone try it?

I stayed at the holiday inn this year and it was quite nice. The room is very nice and surprisingly spacious, and I personally never had any problems with the wifi. They very much cater to the con goers otakon weekend, even down to having cutesy names for their room service food, like pikachu pizza XD 

My friends and I stayed in the Lord Baltimore this year I was bummed myself because last year we stayed at the Holiday Inn and we loved it as mde great use of the pool and sauna which didn't exist this year(never got to the sauna when it was open and no hours were posted.)

THE BEDS. Temprapedic it was like sleeping on a cloud. My Bf and I are so picky about beds but these were glorious and he woke up with his back feeling BETTER than when we first came.

The room. First yes we had 6 people in the room but last year we didn't have the problem of how HOT out room was, because our AC didn't work. Saturday morning the water was off because apparently they were fixing something and when we called about it and the AC not working we were told what happened and that someone would come up and check on it. They never showed. We had to have the window open all weekend and avoid it because it was so old I feared every time we opened it it would shatter and there was no coverage of any kind. That just worried me of someone putting something on the big sill and it going out from the ninth floor.

Speaking of floors it was always a long wait to go beyond the third floor when the stairs ended. When there was a line we waited about 20 minutes to get downstairs. That was if it even stopped on the right floor! XD One elevator we knew for sure didn't stop on our floor and skipped at most 3 floors. They were... they were an adventure. The bathroom was nice but there was little counter space to work with for cosplay by the mirror and he one outside it. The side of the tub also leaked, not enough to be a problem but we had to keep a towel in front of it to avoid a big puddle. The fridge worked on and off and thought it said there was a wicrowave in every room there was only 2 where the ice and vending machine would have been across the floor.

Also I was told when checking in we had a king room? With a single bed obviously no good. It was quickly fixed but then I was charged at check in almost 1,000$ Now Already $190 had been taken 2 weeks before and my total was supposed to be $765. So right off the bat I was charged $400 more than I should have. I was told it was to be taken care of that day(Thurs) but I had to go back down on Monday and actually watched information be faxed to my bank. Luckily it was fixed.

Though this was the bad. We spent more time in our hotel this year but honestly I could deal with the elevator games. By Saturday it was funny, "Think this one will stop?" "This one should it's that one that doesn't, that one doesn't stop at this lobby but the lower lobby." The rest I will leave to that room and take that if we weren't there we wouldn't have had some of the problems we did. We have another reservation for next year and if we don't come off the wait list for the Holiday Inn will stay in again gladly. The staff were friendly, and willing to chat while we waited and held all our bags as a form of apology for the charging mix up. (We left Monday when they didn't have a designated area and held them in a room behind the counter.) It was RIGHT around the corner from the light rail and in very short walk from Chinese that closed at 11, CVS, Fed Ex and the center. This room had problems but I honestly wouldn't really turn someone away from it just...  If you get something wrong with your room and you can, try to get another one. An watch out for the elevators.

Since it hasn't been mentioned here...I stayed at the Home 2 Home Suites by Hilton on Pleasant Street.  Really enjoyed my stay, the staff was professional yet friendly, the room was very clean and nice, and it was in a nice quaint neighborhood (Mt. Vernon).  Only negative is that it was about six blocks from the BCC, so I'm considering getting something closer.  But I really liked my stay and if you don't mind being a little further away from the BCC, I would recommend it.smile.png