Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silentsword

Alert: Extra charges for Baltimore Hilton guests.

Question

Anyone who stayed at the Hilton Baltimore, please check your credit/debit card statements and accounts, as well as your receipts. In at least three five cases that I am personally aware of, the Hilton has billed people for extra rooms that they did not stay in. In at least one case, the person had to go through their credit card company, since the hotel refused to reverse the charges. Accounts receivable at the hotel has yet to return my call, so I kicked it upstairs to the corporate office.  

If you need to get in touch with the corporate offices for Hilton, the phone number is 888-240-6152.

In at least one other case, a person was billed for a different hotel entirely, probably due to a foul-up with the reservation site.  

Please, please do not wait for your regular statement to arrive in the mail.  The longer you take to address something like this, the harder it will be for you to get the charges reversed.

13 answers to this question

Whaaaat?! I didn't stay at the Hilton but that is still mind boggling how they could somehow manage this screw up. Did they give a reason for it?

No reason given, since I can't even get through to anything at the hotel other than reservations, so I kicked it upstairs.  Corporate is giving the hotel  72 hours to resolve the matter, so we'll see if that happens.

Offhand and to be a tiny bit skeptical.

It almost sounds like some kind of oversight when extra rooms got canceled.

As the hilton like the days inn is a desired accommodations. I'm betting people when they had multiple reservations didn't cancel them via email as only one the most recent reservation was available on expierent at a time.

I had to email to cancel out my lord baltimore room when I had scored a days inn room. The first reservation vanished and I had to call customer service to ensure it was gone and it wasn't, I had to request a cancel via email.

Perhaps that could be partially what happened. The hilton charged for rooms that weren't canceled.

What! That's so scary sad.png

I am planning to stay there for 2015 ... I wonder how many people this really happened to and if I should consider changing hotels.

The hotel I stayed at this year we had a horrible experience with (it's in the inner harbor) so we wanted to stay closer for next year.

I hope this problem get's resolved for you!

ps: 2015 will also be the first time I use the Otakon page for hotel registration. I saw on another post that some people had lost there reservations even though it was supposedly reserved for 2014. Is it safe to reserve a room this way? I am starting to have a bad feeling all around about this method/choice.

Thanks,

Luca

In our case, it wasn't that we cancelled our reservations; we used every single room that we booked, but the Hilton tacked on an additional room (the receipt is even better - the added room is one that we weren't even in).  In two of the other cases, the reservation was cancelled, with confirmation, but the rooms got billed anyway.

This is the first time that we've had trouble with the reservation site or the hotel, and we've been using the Experient site since either 2011 or 2012.

Makes me wonder how much the people who actually WERE in those rooms paid?

The rack rates for the hotels are between 2-4 times the rates we get for Otakon.  $400+ per night is not uncommon, as some of our late-committing industry discovered.

The rack rates for the hotels are between 2-4 times the rates we get for Otakon.  $400+ per night is not uncommon, as some of our late-committing industry discovered.

Fun fact:

On Monday this week a double-bed room at the Hilton or the Hyatt had a rack rate of about $225 (saving a few dollars using AAA auto club membership).

Today the Hilton rack rate is $299, with no double bed rooms available at any rate;  and the Hyatt is $399.

The varying price is not uncommon at all.  They adjust the rates based on the expected demand - a light night, such as a Monday where the Orioles aren't in town, is going to have a much lower rate, in order to at least try to attract a share of the few visitors there are, whereas a weekend night is going to cost much more, since demand is higher.  The reason that the convention can get a decent rate compared to a usual weekend rate is that the con can guarantee 100% occupancy on a certain number of rooms.

Sorry, I didn't make myself at all clear.

On Monday this week, the rack rate for 7/23/2015 check-in and 7/26/2105 check-out (Otakon 2015 nights) was about $225.

Last time I looked today, it was $299 and $399 for those Otqakon nights, with no doubles at the Hilton.

Something I discovered this year: once you make a room reservation through their system, you give your email and a password for that reservation. If you want to book another room at a later point in time, log in with that info first and you will see the previously made reservation, with a button to book an additional room. Once you book the second room, both reservations will show on your page and then you can cancel the first room if that is your desire (because who wants to cancel the room first?). The original confirmation number will stay the same for whatever new room setup you have. If you book the new room BEFORE you log in and use the same email and password when booking, you somehow loose the ability to view the previously made reservation, and are given a new confirmation number for the new room.

Bottom line: when checking to see if a "better" hotel room has opened up, take the extra second or two to log in first before doing a room search.