Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fadamor

More WEWCC Discussion

For those unaware, Otakon will be moving from Baltimore to DC and the Walter E Washington Convention Center ("WEWCC") in the Summer of 2017. There was some concern about a lack of food choices in the vicinity of the Convention Center. I just read a review of "Daikaya", an authentic ramen shop and izakaya (Japanese small bar/restaurant) that got very good marks in the Washington Post for its Sapporo-style ramen.  It's located on Sixth Street across the street from the Verizon Center. That puts it about 3 blocks south and 1 block east of the southern end of the Convention center. The ramen shop is on the 1st floor and the izakaya is on the 2nd floor.

http://www.daikaya.com/

You should look up a review of the Mongolian Grill around the corner from the Metro stop exit. DUDE! SO good.

Ever since this move was announced I too was looking at where the nearest food joints are, and actually there's a grocery store er two within a block of that Conv. Ctr.  The closest McDonald's BTW is about a half mile to the southwest, which to me isn't a big deal considering what's around my house.  Otherwise, there are plenty of bars & restaurants around the Conv. Ctr, so future Otakon goers shouldn't be too concerned.

BTW, Centerplate is the vendor for the Conv. Ctr. food courts, just like here in Charm City, but since I've never been there I don't know if the pricing is just as inflated.

You should look up a review of the Mongolian Grill around the corner from the Metro stop exit. DUDE! SO good.

We ate at Mongolian Grill one time when I was working at the US Mint HQ on 3rd St. back in the mid-90's.  It was good back then, too!

BTW, Centerplate is the vendor for the Conv. Ctr. food courts, just like here in Charm City, but since I've never been there I don't know if the pricing is just as inflated.

I'm sure the price is just as bad, if not worse.

Fadamor, what about the hotel situation? Are there enough hotels around the WEWCC?

I believe this was discussed last year in a different thread and the result was there are lots of hotels in the immediate area, but we won't know what sort of pricing will be in effect until 2017 actually arrives. Even the Marriott Marquis (the one with the connecting underground tunnel to the convention center) had rooms available for a pretty decent rate last year. Right now if I were to take a guest room (1 king or 2 twin) room for the dates that Otakon will be happening this year, they would charge me $149 plus tax a night.  And that's WITHOUT any price wrangling by a broker such as Experient. Again, what those rates are looking like in 2017 and what Experient might be able to arrange can be totally different.

If a con-hotel stay is $149 + fees a night that's damn good... I'd totally be all over that.

Just out of curiosity, I used kayak.com today to check on rooms around the WEWCC. I used the same info, including dates, that I used to book my room this year for Otakon (although I actually used Experient this year) and I found a lot of nice looking places just half a mile or less from the WEWCC for anywhere from $500+ to $800+ (this was for the whole trip cost plus taxes). I know the move isn't for a couple of years and anything can happen on that weekend (especially when the hotels know there's tens of thousands of people attending), but from what I saw it won't be bad at all compared to Baltimore (even seemed cheaper overall).

If a con-hotel stay is $149 + fees a night that's damn good... I'd totally be all over that.

Yeah.  That's the price for the hotel actually across the street for the convention center's southwest corner, and the bonus for cosplayers is the underground tunnel between the hotel and the convention center.  You don't have to sweat (literally) making the trip from the hotel to the convention center in your costume. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/wasco-marriott-marquis-washington-dc/

Yeah.  That's the price for the hotel actually across the street for the convention center's southwest corner, and the bonus for cosplayers is the underground tunnel between the hotel and the convention center.  You don't have to sweat (literally) making the trip from the hotel to the convention center in your costume. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/wasco-marriott-marquis-washington-dc/

Me gusta!

A lot of garages if you're willing to walk a few blocks. According to that, could go to a garage a few blocks away and park for under $40 thursday-sunday. No idea what it will look like in 2 years with special event rates, but parking looks reasonable

https://www.parkingpanda.com/washington-parking/400-k-st-nw/?idLocation=2747&start=7%2f23%2f2015&startTime=1230&end=7%2f26%2f2015&endTime=1530&idSeo=527#start=7/23/2015&end=7/26/2015&startTime=1230&endTime=1530

I wonder how's the car parking situation in case I have to drive over?

As mentioned above, In my opinion, the parking is quite bad in the convention center area of DC.  I am concerned for availability of spots for the con goers. And in that area, every parking company seems to know when an event is going on and hikes up the prices.

Fortunately for me I won't be sweating the parking nor the hotels once the move to the WEWCC has been completed. I'll be able to park at the Vienna Metro station and go home every night.  Otakon will get a lot cheaper for me starting in 2017. wub.png

This is why I like California Tortilla... the goofy promotions.  Received via email this afternoon:

Hey there Cal Torter --

You've suffered in the cold long enough! Though we can't change the weather we can warm you up with some delicious queso and top it off with a 'money' deal. 

If you make a purchase tomorrow, Thursday, February 19th, we'll include an order of chips and queso for the cost of whatever the wind chill factor is as of 3 a.m. at the California Tortilla World Headquarters in Rockville, MD.  

For example: If the wind chill factor is 5 degrees, we'll only charge you 5 cents for the chips and queso. If the wind chill factor is negative 5 degrees, the chips and queso will be free and WE'LL PAY YOU 5 cents to eat it! Tell me that's not a reason to hope for cold weather.

This is a super secret deal so be sure to say the secret password, "Man, it's cold!"

So bundle up and head over to California Tortilla. My crystal ball sees you eating some toasty warm FREE chips and queso and getting paid cold hard cash to do it.  

See you here...

xoxo,
Pam
Queen of Burritos

P.S.  Be on the lookout for an email from us tomorrow morning with all the wind chill scoop!

Oh.  It was super secret.  Dang I let the cat out of the bag! wink.png (Wind chill at midnight was 4 F, so 4 cents for chips and queso)

FREE!

The coldest wind chill in the Cal Tort HQ area was -9 degrees, which means we're going to round up and PAY YOU 10 cents to eat chips and queso! (Wouldn't you have hated it if we gave you 9 cents?)

So come in today and warm up with some free chips and queso and then some. Just say "Man, it's cold!"

See you here...

xoxo,

Pam

Queen of Burritos

I am sure there are many food places around but the prices will kill your wallet, everything is a lot more expensive and I think it was probably the worst place to move the con when most are not rolling in the dough. The parking/traffic is horrible there which is not going to be any better with the convention as they will make sure to increase the prices since theres a big event as they do in Baltimore but not as bad since Otakon has been at the BCC so long they have special deals some places.

I think 2016 may be the last Otakon for some and others may also call it quits after experiencing the 2017 DC convention.

I am sure there are many food places around but the prices will kill your wallet, everything is a lot more expensive and I think it was probably the worst place to move the con when most are not rolling in the dough. The parking/traffic is horrible there which is not going to be any better with the convention as they will make sure to increase the prices since theres a big event as they do in Baltimore but not as bad since Otakon has been at the BCC so long they have special deals some places.

I think 2016 may be the last Otakon for some and others may also call it quits after experiencing the 2017 DC convention.

"everything is a lot more expensive" is an extreme exaggeration. fast food at least stays about the same (which is 80-90% of what congoers are eating), and for sit down restaurants there are always comparable options. Sales tax also looks to be around the same level. let's look a couple samples:

Chipotle in DC: Chicken Burrito is $6.82

Chipotle in Baltimore: Chicken Burrito is $6.84

http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/find/find.aspx

Daikaya Ramen in DC: Shio Ramen is $11.75 

TenTen Ramen in Baltimore: Shio Ramen is $10

http://daikaya.com/ramen_menu.htm

http://media.wix.com/ugd/78181f_6747244df72b4adbaf6a4efc19098cdb.pdf

Chains and fast food stay the same. Independent restaurant are a couple more bucks.

Parking and traffic is probably worse, but not unmanageable. There's also the trade-off of much better public and regional transit access between proximity to union station and the metro. Don't know how many "special deals" otakon actually has in place for parking right now but they have 2 years to talk to the community around DC. The number of people Otakon brings in is what allows it to negotiate, not past history.

Since you call it the worst place to move, would love to hear your opinion on what other convention centers can support an event that has rapidly outgrown an already large facility, is within the same region, and has the infrastructure around it to support all the attendees.

2016 and 2017 will be the last for some, but not nearly as many people as you think are quitting with you

Back in the 90's as a temp employee working at the U.S. Mint headquarters on 3rd St (next to where I395 turns north briefly before ending at New York Avenue), I found lots of places to eat that didn't require me to take out a loan against my paycheck.  Are there expensive places to eat at in DC? ABSOLUTELY! Are ALL the restaurants in DC expensive to eat at? Absolutely NOT.

I spent a week in the Renaissance hotel across the park from the convention center a few months ago for work.  While that hotel was expensive, the restaurants and bars in the immediate area were not.  There was a lot of fast casual type chains and all the bars had happy hours which is good for an inexpensive dinner Thurs or Fri of the con.  The metro also had stops nearby that open up the rest of the city for hotel and food options.  Also, the neighborhood is very dense so walking a few blocks wasn't a big deal.  I think the move to DC will offer us more options for things like food and fun outside the convention and the price should stay about the same as what we've been paying in Baltimore.  

As far as food goes, nearly anything is cheaper than BCC food vendor prices. And what isn't is better quality anyway.

As far as the travel costs for DC vs Baltimore, I think it'll end up being a wash, with it being cheaper for some people and more expensive for others. Personally I benefit in the form of being able to book a direct flight to DC vs having a stopover in Charlotte or Chicago or Philadelphia or some other random hub on my way to Baltimore. But overall, if you're already coming in from out of state I don't know that it makes a huge difference. The Baltimore and DC locals are the ones that the location change probably affects the most.

Test

EDIT: Oooh yay.. bug is fixed....  I think...

It's fixed in SOME threads but not in others.

It's fixed in SOME threads but not in others.

Yeah I've come to that conclusion too...