Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Christopher D. Rose

Multiple Panel Submission

Question

Howdy folks, I'm a first time Otakon presenter and I'm working on getting my team's panel submission setup... however we were unsure on a few things and really hoped someone could shed some light.

We have what we feel is a great idea/panel that we'd like to present for the convention and we have about 6 presenters total. We really wanted to secure some presentation time on both Friday and Saturday... and possibly Sunday if time is available. We were thinking originally the best way to achieve this would be to submit multiple panel submissions with two different presentation groups... I'm wondering if this is the best way or if there is a way to convey this ahead of time. Unfortunately the Panel submission FAQ is very useful for most information but it doesn't necessarily go into time allotted per panel or spots etc... some clarification would be great if possible.

Thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

If you're looking to get multiple spots on the schedule for the same topic, you're not going to get it.

If it's the exact same topic, just re-presented on subsequent days, you're definitely not going to get it.

If it's the same topic divided up into separate parts (Fanfiction 101, Fanfiction 201, etc), you're extremely unlikely to get it, unless you have a terrific idea and a lot of credibility and clout to back it up.

The number of submissions we get vastly outweighs the room we have on the schedule.  Something like 75-80% of submissions every year get turned down.  Perfectly good topics get turned down for no other reason than because of redundancy.  We strive to have diversity in our schedule so that there's a little something for everyone.  It can't all be Hetalia panels.

Something like that has not been discussed, as far as I am aware.  We've been more concerned with receiving relevant submissions.  While getting 13 Homestuck panels (yes I do believe we got that many one year) does make our jobs easier, because we can very easily just toss them all on the "No" pile, we want to have as many submissions aligned with our focus on Asian culture as possible.  Once we've prodded people in that direction, we could start focusing on other areas.

It's really hard to say though, I was surprised by a couple of topics this year, some had more than usual, and then there was a case where there were three submissions on a topic that got increasingly more specific, like... Borderlands, Borderlands Cosplay, and Borderlands Cosplay Makeup.  That's some serious dedication right there.

Although, I don't think we want to say "Hey, we get a lot of Hetalia panels, so think about doing something else", because we want a variety of takes on the topic, so that hopefully that one person, as has been done in the past, comes along with "History in Hetalia", using the popularity of the show as a teaching tool about the real history behind the show.  We want options, so we can choose what we think is the best Hetalia panel, the best Kill la Kill panel, the best Gundam panel, etc.  In this capacity, competition, I hope, is good.

Typically a good way to earn your credibility as a presenter is to have a well rehearsed presentation that sounds interesting (not another "ask a nation" panel or "funny clips" show, please!) and connects to a genre or show that will resonate with people. That can be an awesomely relevant panel that showcases an current title, or a really cleverly presented, polished panel that may reference older anime and manga. Make sure your pitch is concise, engaging, and smartly written so it stands out, and avoid submitting something with typos, terrible grammar, or writing that otherwise comes across as amateurish.

You'll get bonus points if you can relate it somehow to the year's theme (this year is folk and fairy tales), but having strong content and being prepared go a long way.  If you've presented it at another con, that's often a plus. 

I'd also suggest that a presentation/panel that requires 6 people and 2 days is a bit ambitious for a first-timer.  Two people is more reasonable (especially if you're looking for badges out of this) and makes it easier to say yes to the panel.

It's really hard to say though, I was surprised by a couple of topics this year, some had more than usual, and then there was a case where there were three submissions on a topic that got increasingly more specific, like... Borderlands, Borderlands Cosplay, and Borderlands Cosplay Makeup.  That's some serious dedication right there.

Omg that was totally me who submitted "Borderlands Cosplay" *Also submitted another Borderlands panel but it was Bunkers and Badasses (Borderlands version of Dungeons and Dragons). xD

Anyways thanks for the information.. its really useful the next time I go to submit a panel :)

On the issue of redundancy, how would a potential panel host know if his topic has had multiple submitters every year? (except, of course, the obvious Hetalia Horde). Is there a summary somewhere of the panels presented in - say - the past five years of Otakon? If I have a "killer" topic, but the topic has been presented by others the last five year's straight, I'll know that my presentation isn't going to be considered.