Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GasparAKAShiggitay

Guests you didn't know were at Otakon until it was too late? (2015 Edition)

Hey all,

I've been going to Otakon since 2009, and I mainly/partially come for the guests that show up. Back in '09 seiyuu Kikuko Inoue attended. She voices popular characters such as "Ah! Megami-sama"'s Belldandy. I love that kind of soft, sweet voice, and I was so pissed that I missed her panel that year. I don't know if the line was long, or if I just learned/realized too late.

My question for y'all is: is there any guest you learned about too late at any con (Otakon included) and were mad you couldn't see?

In 2010 actually I wanted to see Nobuo Uematsu of Final Fantasy music fame, but it was impossible to go see him for reasons more than one.

Anyway, let's hear it. 

^ ^ ^

If the above looks familiar to some of you guys, then it's because it's the same as when I posted it post Otakon 2013. No one responded, and I wanna try again. Share them stories! :)

Hm, last year I wish I went to see all of the sailor moon people ;-;

Hm, last year I wish I went to see all of the sailor moon people ;-;

That was fun. I got pics with Stephanie Sheh. She's super tiny, and super nice! xD

I guess the only problem with posing this question in the Otakon forums is anybody here would know the guests ahead of time and wouldn't be surprised once the convention starts. I suppose you could hope for a story about a different convention, though. The people who might have an Otakon story don't frequent this forum.

I guess the only problem with posing this question in the Otakon forums is anybody here would know the guests ahead of time and wouldn't be surprised once the convention starts. I suppose you could hope for a story about a different convention, though. The people who might have an Otakon story don't frequent this forum.

Okay.. then where should I post this kind of topic? In Otakon 2015?

I think he means that the sort of people haunting this forum tend to already be involved and engaged with the content. People who aren't won't be here in the first place.

I think he means that the sort of people haunting this forum tend to already be involved and engaged with the content. People who aren't won't be here in the first place.

Ah I see now... hmm

Yeah, Jim is correct. The people who frequent Otakon.com get plenty of advance notice regarding guests and even get the schedule a week or so before the convention, so it would be really strange if someone who frequents Otakon.com was surprised about a guest that came to Otakon that year.

Okay well I guess I'll rephrase the query as "Is there anyone you WANTED to see but couldn't?" during any particular year......

Not me personally... as I have always "haunted" dry.png the forum

I think I know of an example.

My first Otakon was in 2003.  At the time I was barely a fan.  My future father-in-law surprised his kids with the trip and I got to go along for the ride as the girlfriend.  Unfortunately back then I didn't give a rat's patoot who T.M. Revolution was... 

Some time later -

Me: "Dang...I wish TMR would come to Otakon.  He's such a staple for our road trip music."

Newly made hubs: "Uhhh....you know he was there the first time we went right?"

Me: "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

I'm glad I got my chance 10 years later.  wink.png

Noboru Ishiguro at the time I wasn't really that familiar with his works but now I really regret I missed the chance to meet him. Although that year I only went to Otakon for a day for financial reasons.

My position is such that I rarely see guests in their panels -- I'm always running around putting out other fires, taking care of stuff you never see.

But before I joined staff, in 1999, I was a gofer.  I almost walked into a japanese woman in the elevator. I apologized for startling her and asked what she did, and was told she was a musician.  Then I went on about my life.

Later that year, I discovered a show called Cowboy Bebop and realized who I'd met.

I joined staff, eventually, joined guest relations, became vice chair and then con chair, and then began to head up the Guests section.

Thirteen years later, we finally began negotiations to bring her back to Otakon.

You bet your ass I didn't miss THAT performance!