Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Natsuki chan

I have a quick question about the convention's temp move to DC

Question

4 answers to this question

The con needs room to grow, and unless Baltimore can provide that in the form of as much square footage or more than the new convention center, there's really no incentive to return. The new convention center has twice the square footage of the BCC, so they're going to have to remodel the BCC to more than double its current size to make it an attractive location again. I really don't see it happening, at least not in five years.

Disclaimer: I am not part of Otakorp Staff, nor do I claim to have any "inside" info. These are my views based on the (in)actions of the Baltimore government and their inadequate plans I've read about so far...

It's sweet how you refer to it as a "temp" move. Otakon will be in DC for five years, minimum. Unless Baltimore radically changes and upgrades what I've heard for their BCC plans (and actually PAYS for those plans to be completed), the move will be permanent. Five years is plenty of time to get settled into a new location and work out all the kinks. Moving back to Baltimore (and a new configuration of the successor to the BCC) would have to be such a HUGE advantage over staying in an established location that the hassle of having to work out the kinks all over again would be worth it.  In short, unless a miracle occurs and the Baltimore government behaves 180° from the way they have been so far, I don't see Otakon ever returning to Baltimore.  Otakorp staff will be quick to point out that they leave all options open and nothing is ever written off as "never again", but... I just can't envision a return the way things are right now. mellow.png

This is the feeling that I get. I know Otakon has been in Baltimore for a long time and most attendees (I assume) would like for it to continue there, but I just don't see us going back after spending 5 years getting used to DC and the WEWCC. To me, it's bittersweet. Leaving Baltimore sucks, but if the WEWCC is as good as everyone says it is and if things around the convention center are as good as or better than in Baltimore, then it'll be a great move for multiple reasons. There really would have to be a ton of changes in Baltimore for us to return there after so long in DC and I just don't see it happening. I at least hope that we don't spend 5 years or so in DC and then move to another different location. Hopefully it'll either stay in DC or move back to Baltimore.

Disclaimer: I am not part of Otakorp Staff, nor do I claim to have any "inside" info. These are my views based on the (in)actions of the Baltimore government and their inadequate plans I've read about so far...

It's sweet how you refer to it as a "temp" move. Otakon will be in DC for five years, minimum. Unless Baltimore radically changes and upgrades what I've heard for their BCC plans (and actually PAYS for those plans to be completed), the move will be permanent. Five years is plenty of time to get settled into a new location and work out all the kinks. Moving back to Baltimore (and a new configuration of the successor to the BCC) would have to be such a HUGE advantage over staying in an established location that the hassle of having to work out the kinks all over again would be worth it.  In short, unless a miracle occurs and the Baltimore government behaves 180° from the way they have been so far, I don't see Otakon ever returning to Baltimore.  Otakorp staff will be quick to point out that they leave all options open and nothing is ever written off as "never again", but... I just can't envision a return the way things are right now. mellow.png