I Have Not Received My Badge In the Mail!

Okay everyone, where's my badge?  Should I be worried?  I opted to have mine mailed to me.  I haven't seen it yet.

Joanne

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're going to mail it so that you get it 2 to 3 weeks before Otakon. You still have a couple of weeks before you should start worrying.

To answer your concern, all Otakon goers who chose the mail-in option will get an email notifying that their badge is being sent to your location.  That email will also have a tracking number so you can check to make sure it gets there.  The Badge Mailing FAQ on the registration updates page has a little more.

What about NOW  JULY the 2ND?

Me and my friends who are going are sooooo worry.

and by the time we purchased the tickets,

Only me didn't receive an Email comfirmation.

And the badges are all mailed to my place.......

I worried about this time OTAKON wouldn't sent me a Email to notify again.......

"Badges will be mailed to arrive at your house 2 to 3 weeks before the start of Otakon"... We JUST reached 3 weeks, so there's still another week before you can start to legitimately get concerned. As far as I know, NOBODY has received notification that their badge is in the mail yet, so I have to assume they haven't yet been mailed.

As soon as I get the info about the mailed badges, it will go up on the site. 

I can understand that they don't want to give us a handful of files when 1 will do, but I will ping them for an update.

To answer your concern, all Otakon goers who chose the mail-in option will get an email notifying that their badge is being sent to your location.  That email will also have a tracking number so you can check to make sure it gets there.  The Badge Mailing FAQ on the registration updates page has a little more.

This piece of information is very helpful. What would be even more helpful is if someone put this somewhere on the actual website. Especially since this is the very first time I have seen anything about emails with the tracking number. I definitely do not remember seeing this anywhere during the pre-registration process, and the only thing the 2015 badge FAQ says about tracking numbers is that I can check my Event History for my tracking number if I have not received the badge by July 10th.

This piece of information is very helpful. What would be even more helpful is if someone put this somewhere on the actual website. Especially since this is the very first time I have seen anything about emails with the tracking number. I definitely do not remember seeing this anywhere during the pre-registration process, and the only thing the 2015 badge FAQ says about tracking numbers is that I can check my Event History for my tracking number if I have not received the badge by July 10th.

I could have sworn that I read about this somewhere previously. I also recall reading that the badges will be mailed priority and will require a signature but I don't remember where I read that either.

I agree with bishop083. Otakon has a long track record of being silent on social media about delays or other information that congoers need. I don't care if there is a delay due to the shipment company or whatever. But maybe make a news announcement about it, post on Twitter and answer the people asking on Facebook. Some people have to plan their entire trip around getting a badge in the mail. And as this is the first time the convention is doing it I think we have the right to be a bit concerned since we've had *zero* communication on this.

I agree with bishop083. Otakon has a long track record of being silent on social media about delays or other information that congoers need. I don't care if there is a delay due to the shipment company or whatever. But maybe make a news announcement about it, post on Twitter and answer the people asking on Facebook. Some people have to plan their entire trip around getting a badge in the mail. And as this is the first time the convention is doing it I think we have the right to be a bit concerned since we've had *zero* communication on this.

Exactly. I wouldn't be as nervous IF there was better communication. A quick Facebook update about the status of the mailing is all I'm really asking for. Even if it's just an estimation about when they should arrive or if they're still being processed, etc. A lot of people are panicking about this and it wouldn't be happening as long as there was more information READILY available to con goers. I understand that it's a lot to keep track of but it's one thing that would help. 

I could have sworn that I read about this somewhere previously. I also recall reading that the badges will be mailed priority and will require a signature but I don't remember where I read that either.

It was probably here that you read it: https://www.otakon.com/registration_updates.asp#Mail

I'll start panicking if I don't see anything (badge or tracking number) by the end of this coming week. Until then, I'll have faith.

I'm alright with a delay, but letting us know about the delay would be the honorable thing to do. When they say the badges will be at your house by July 10 and it's July 5 with no word on things actually going out their door, you have to start wondering.  If it gets mailed on Monday then the badges should still arrive on time, but if Monday comes and goes...

It was probably here that you read it: https://www.otakon.com/registration_updates.asp#Mail

Hm, maybe. I see the bit about requiring a signature in there but nothing about priority shipping. It's possible that I'm thinking of a different con but I could have sworn that it was for Otakon. After submitting our registration order, do you remember seeing a message with an explanation of when/how badges would be shipped? Maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

The registration write-up says they EXPECT to have the badges arrive at our doors with 2 to 3 weeks remaining. Three weeks remaining has come and gone and two weeks remaining will be this Friday. Because they said "expect" and not "guarantee", they can let the self-imposed deadline expire without having technically "lied". There's an integrity issue here, though. Unlike the network issues last year - which happened suddenly, this mailing process has been an on-going "thing" for months now.  Anywhere along the process there could have been a snag that delayed the mailing date.  An honorable organization would have notified their stakeholders of the delay once it became apparent that the delay could not be made up later in the process.  Otakorp's attitude seems to be "Meh, they still have two weeks after the deadline expires" and one staff member even expressed it recently as "oodles of time". THIS IS TRUE, but it's not what has been presented to the stakeholders. Sometime last week a notice should have gone out that badges would not be arriving with three weeks remaining.  Keeping your stakeholders in the dark about changes to the plan is NOT a smart way to promote repeat business.dry.png

Edited by Fadamor

^I highly agree to that!! Seems to me they didn't think this all through despite the 3 months they had to get their stuff all together thus making sure everything would go as planned. They need better communication with their costumers.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I hate to pile complaints and abuse on, especially too theatrically, but I have observed that Otakon's administrators seem to give a lower priority to informing its membership about this sort of thing than I'd like.  Inadequate information often bothers me far more than inadequate service.  I'm not as apprehensive about not getting the badge as I am about what I might have to do to get whatever accommodation they offer in light of that.  I originally made my arrangements to travel under the assumption that I would need ample time to wait in line, thus I can still do that it if need be at just the cost of some ambling around Baltimore that a mailed badge would allow.  I'd only like the convenience of knowing how I will spend that afternoon.  (I'd rather spend the afternoon looking around Antiques Row and Mount Vernon, then getting an early dinner at The Helmand, but I'm prepared to put some of that aside if need be.)

From my point of view, the latest that they can mail the badge with a reasonable chance that I will get it is probably Friday, July 17th. (Sending it by the 20th might work, but would be cutting things quite close) The last day that they can provide some notification as to where things stand without my beginning to become frustrated is probably Friday, July 10th. 

Ultimately, I'd prefer not have to start the convention by having to shake a rather black mood off as I did last year.

I got info from them saying they started sending them out this past week and that tracking info will hopefully be updated sometime tomorrow (Monday)....hopefully this is true.

Edited by pinkkatt28

I got info from them saying they started sending them out this past week and that tracking info will hopefully be updated sometime tomorrow (Monday)....hopefully this is true.

I heard the same from a few people in the Otakon Facebook group. 

It would be nice if the con staff posted that info publicly but whatever I guess..

I heard the same from a few people in the Otakon Facebook group.

It would be nice if the con staff posted that info publicly but whatever I guess..

Yeah I agree. It would make sense for them to post it saying that it would be updated rather than having people try to spill the word for them. It's their job to keep in touch with their costumes on these matters...but yeah I agree

Hoping this is true and we start hearing things today.

Yeah. I haven't heard anything yet either. Hopefully it'll be updated sometime today. I mean if apparently they're gonna have the badges arrive by the 10th and they started shipping em out this past week...then tracking numbers shouldn't take too too long. They haven't even posted saying "the badges may be a little late due to "said issue they were apparently having if there was an issue"." Or something to keep us from.....well feeling slightly worried.

-Veltix-

^I highly agree to that!! Seems to me they didn't think this all through despite the 3 months they had to get their stuff all together thus making sure everything would go as planned. They need better communication with their costumers.

Yeah I agree. It would make sense for them to post it saying that it would be updated rather than having people try to spill the word for them. It's their job to keep in touch with their costumes on these matters...but yeah I agree

Not a great advertisement for Taptalk. Whe keeps in touch with their costumes? blink.png

Sent from my eggbeater.

Everyone is. They still haven't received tracking info apparently....it's just a bunch of worry they're putting people in. I'm sure everyone knows they don't mean to. But they could go about all this way better than they are....

-Veltix-

The Badges have begun to be mailed however we have not yet received the tracking info, but as soon as we do, we will update you and pass it along.

The Badges have begun to be mailed however we have not yet received the tracking info, but as soon as we do, we will update you and pass it along.

Thank you. Though are we still going to have them by the 10th or is the date going to be stretched out a little now?

-Veltix-

As they started going out last week, I would not be shocked if some people didn't already have them.

It will be almost impossible to get it w/o the tracking # because I don't know when to expect it.

I am NEVER home when they try to deliver something that needs to be signed. and and over half the time there is NO notice left.

I have to print out the tracking info,, and bring it down to the PO.. to get any said item..

If i fail to get the badge before I leave... I won't be my fail.. I'm sure...  I have been checking every day and still no tracking #.

i wonder is there will be some kind of support/contingency if people do not get their badges. Seems silly to have this experimental badge mailing without a backup way to get your badge. I might have missed something however correct me if there is a backup method.

Yes, if the badge doesn't get delivered by the convention there will be a backup method to get them. We really don't want anyone to get left out in the cold (or the hot, which is more likely in July in Baltimore) because there was a USPS issue.

Yes, if the badge doesn't get delivered by the convention there will be a backup method to get them. We really don't want anyone to get left out in the cold (or the hot, which is more likely in July in Baltimore) because there was a USPS issu

Will those people get priority in line?

I also hope they arrive well before the day before the con. I am not home to sign for my badge so I have to find the time to pick it up at the post-office.

Edited by Kirarakim

There will be a separate line for "Badge Services", who are the department who will be handling any issues with the mailing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.