I Have Not Received My Badge In the Mail!

I just received my priority package which was delayed from July 6 for some reason. The priority envelope was inside another resealed and when I opened it and the priority mail envelope inside was torn. One badge and one lanyard are missing. The other two and 3 matsuri discounts were still there. I contacted the post office and also sent an email to Otakon giving all the details,including pictures. What's going to happen? I don't have a badge someone took it.

Omg! I hope they figure something out. Someone did say that if for some weird reason u don't get it badge, print out the receipt for that badge and take it with u to otakon. And I steadying waiting in the pre reg line, there should be another place for u to go in for mailing questions or something, but if worse comes to worse, they can help u there if not sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My tracking was finally updated, whew was getting nervous.

It sounds like it should be delivered today or tomorrow. But if it is delivered today and I have to sign for it I should be able to pick it up from the PO tomorrow.

Where on the site does it say when it'll come? I just see where it is now or last was

top of the screen, under the progress bar. says "expected delivery day"

Edited by thefarawaylife

Where on the site does it say when it'll come? I just see where it is now or last was

top of the screen, under the progress bar. says "expected delivery day"

Under the progress bar just says "product & tracking information" then "Priority mail 2-Day" then "Signature confirmation" and under that, just says where it was at.... But I did call my post office and they told me tomorrow most likely. So fingers crossed.

I have a tracking number now.  My badge evidently shipped from State College on Wednesday, then went southwesterly to Warrendale for some reason, but is at the Harrisburg post office now and schedule to come tomorrow.  That's convenience as I should be on hand to sign for it on a Saturday, thus sparing me some potential nuisance.  Well, unless they feel they need to divert it to Wilkes-Barre or wherever for some reason.

This should make my Thursday before Otakon much easier and more pleasant than it has been or otherwise might have been.

This is terrible... I'm so, so sorry. I hope that this gets resolved as soon as possible!

I just received my priority package which was delayed from July 6 for some reason. The priority envelope was inside another resealed and when I opened it and the priority mail envelope inside was torn. One badge and one lanyard are missing. The other two and 3 matsuri discounts were still there. I contacted the post office and also sent an email to Otakon giving all the details,including pictures. What's going to happen? I don't have a badge someone took it.

Omg! I hope they figure something out. Someone did say that if for some weird reason u don't get it badge, print out the receipt for that badge and take it with u to otakon. And I steadying waiting in the pre reg line, there should be another place for u to go in for mailing questions or something, but if worse comes to worse, they can help u there if not sooner.

I would say not to wait until you're at the con and get in contact with the help desk immediately.  

help.otakon.com

I'm sure they'll be able to help you, but it might take some time since I'd imagine they're pretty swamped right now.

I think we can all agree the load on the USPS for the 4th of July doesn't hold a candle to the load they experience over the end-of-year holidays.  Apples - Oranges.

I didn't say end of year did I? :P MLK is the same time as my mom's birthday, and is surprisingly the worst. Memorial Day is my brother's and can also be bad.  I mean, there's a lot more factors than just the holiday, but my personal experience is that it has been a factor for me in the past.

Contact the help desk staff (help.otakon.com) and explain to them what happened.

Just got my tracking # and it says I'm due for it to arrive on Monday. Gonna try to make sure my roommate can be home to sign for it, just to be on the safe side (though I suspect they will just leave it if no one is home).

Man, I really hope they get that figured out for you, and catch whoever took the other badge. It's odd that they'd open it up and take just one--kind of makes me wonder if it's not someone that was planning to actually use it to go to the con, instead of selling it (otherwise, why only steal one? and why open that specific package, unless they noticed it was from Otakorp and guessed what was in it?).

Maybe this is a long shot, but does Otakorp have any way of matching badges to attendees? Like, are the names on the pre-mailed badges already printed on the badges, or do they just have a blank space for people to write their names as in past years? Reason I ask is, if the names were printed or there were some other method of identifying which badge belongs to which person, it might be possible for someone at each door to have a list of names that reported badges stolen, and then stop those people and verify via ID that the person is who their badge says they are. Again, it's probably a long shot, but I hate to see people do this kind of crap and get away with it.

Just got my tracking # and it says I'm due for it to arrive on Monday. Gonna try to make sure my roommate can be home to sign for it, just to be on the safe side (though I suspect they will just leave it if no one is home).

Man, I really hope they get that figured out for you, and catch whoever took the other badge. It's odd that they'd open it up and take just one--kind of makes me wonder if it's not someone that was planning to actually use it to go to the con, instead of selling it (otherwise, why only steal one? and why open that specific package, unless they noticed it was from Otakorp and guessed what was in it?).

Maybe this is a long shot, but does Otakorp have any way of matching badges to attendees? Like, are the names on the pre-mailed badges already printed on the badges, or do they just have a blank space for people to write their names as in past years? Reason I ask is, if the names were printed or there were some other method of identifying which badge belongs to which person, it might be possible for someone at each door to have a list of names that reported badges stolen, and then stop those people and verify via ID that the person is who their badge says they are. Again, it's probably a long shot, but I hate to see people do this kind of crap and get away with it.

Photos I've seen of the badges people got had blank spots to write your name yourself sadly

-Veltix-

So my guess is that this particular package got mangled by a mail sorting machine.  That being said, the badge IDs on the badges we sent out are tied to your membership IDs, just like the badges one would pick up at Otakon.  So in effect it doesn't matter what you write on it, since we know the badge ID a person should have if it becomes necessary to challenge veracity.

I'm hoping the exact same thing. Maybe not names, even, but some sort of individualized barcode on the back of each and every badge? I really hope they can help this person out :(

So my guess is that this particular package got mangled by a mail sorting machine.  That being said, the badge IDs on the badges we sent out are tied to your membership IDs, just like the badges one would pick up at Otakon.  So in effect it doesn't matter what you write on it, since we know the badge ID a person should have if it becomes necessary to challenge veracity.

Gotcha. I figured something like that would be the case, but it still doesn't sound like the person who took the badge (if, indeed, it wasn't just mangled by a mail sorter or some such) would be caught by security, unless they start scanning every badge at the door (which seems like it would slow down lines something awful).

I can't even check mine seeing as how my registration info isn't showing up on my account =(.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I received my badge today. It was in my mail box though. Neither I nor my apartment leasing office had to sign for anything. Though it says online that it was signed for, by the mail carrier I'm presuming. 

Mine arrived about 10:30AM EST today so that's a relief. I got an e-mail from my leasing office that they had it so I know it'll be safe with them until I'm able to pick up next week.

I find it interesting and kind of funny that I had it sent to a State College address and it shipped from State College of all places, but the tracking info says it went from State College to Warrendale before going back to State College again.

I paid $10 to have it sent on a roundabout trip from another part of the same town, but I'm glad I won't have to wait in line again.

Mine says the shipping label was created at State College on the 8th, then shipment accepted at State College the next day.... It took them 24 hours to slap a tag on it and scan it? Lol. It wasn't even sent out of there yet, it's still there... They better start moving it so it can get to me by tomorrow which is when my post office said it should come in

Mine says the shipping label was created at State College on the 8th, then shipment accepted at State College the next day.... It took them 24 hours to slap a tag on it and scan it? Lol. It wasn't even sent out of there yet, it's still there... They better start moving it so it can get to me by tomorrow which is when my post office said it should come in

Well, the 8th would likely be when the badge shipping company printed the label, it probably wasn't picked up by USPS until the next day.

I have a tracking number now.  My badge evidently shipped from State College on Wednesday, then went southwesterly to Warrendale for some reason, but is at the Harrisburg post office now and schedule to come tomorrow.  That's convenience as I should be on hand to sign for it on a Saturday, thus sparing me some potential nuisance.  Well, unless they feel they need to divert it to Wilkes-Barre or wherever for some reason.

This should make my Thursday before Otakon much easier and more pleasant than it has been or otherwise might have been.

This is terrible... I'm so, so sorry. I hope that this gets resolved as soon as possible!

Haha, no need to fret.  It's a little less than a week until I really would've gotten worried.  The bizarre routing is mostly amusing.  Generally if one is going to the capitol from Penn State, it is not by way of suburban Pittsburgh.  This is probably for the best; had it been delivered sooner, I would likely have needed to play telephone-chase with the post office and gotten it no sooner, or later than I will.

I'm more apprehensive about the schedule not yet having been posted, although I can't remember how long before the convention it appeared last year.  I'd like to be able to plan my days and determine if there's any preparation or arrangements to make as far in advance as feasible. (Yes, I allow that the schedule is subject to change up to the last minute) I'm an obsessive planner; I can't help it.  (Yet I am not an obsessive plan-follower) Even that, however, is a dispensable convenience.

Other people seem rather more worried than I am, which is odd because I'm as nervous and fretful as they come.  Nevertheless, it's clear that the convention staff have mishandled some of this.  More comprehensive, direct explanation of the situation sooner would have assuaged some anxiety and bolstered member confidence.  They should also have made clear at the time the mailed badge option was announced what accommodation would be made in various bad to worst case scenarios arising from any general administrative problems on Otakon's part in addition to the individual mailing issues discussed in the FAQ.  I don't care to be so severe and cranky, but this feels thematically close enough to what happened in the registration line last Thursday for me to be a little annoyed and suspect that there's something amiss with the convention's priorities or administrative practices.  (I work for the government, I am well acquainted with the problems that institutions can have)

mine has not moved in 24 hours :/

July 9, 2015 , 11:04 pm

Arrived at USPS Origin Facility

WARRENDALE, PA 15086  <--- last scan :o

wth?

that's 1,5 12 miles :o

Should it not have been scanned SOME place by now???

unsure.pnghuh.png

Mine has been at State college since Thursday and I was told it was supposed to come to me tomorrow, I'd think that they would've moved it today closer or something... And it says it's "Accepted" next to the bar, does that mean the post office accepted it and will go out for delivery? Or that someone accepted in my name? Hugh these mail ppl. I say best bet with these confusing routing problems and postal delays is to call the post office, if worse comes to worse, I'll be making a 3 hour drive to State College and getting it myself, then I won't have to wait forever for it. Lol. Neh, if it doesn't move by tomorrow, ima give them a call.

Oh hey, look at that I got mine today to my surprise. Girlfriend doesn't get to get hers until tomorrow and she was visibly upset about it haha. Still though, it's not showing up under my account member info =l.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Mine came in this afternoon.  Thanks Otakon for making this a smooth and painless process. :)   I'm liking the clear plastic badges this year. They feel "official"  tongue.png

Thank you so much for your concern. Since one badge and one lanyard was taken i can only think that it was stolen. I think it may be a postal worker because usps was the only one with physical contact. There were no usps scans indicating the priority envelope was damaged, in addition it was delayed a couple of days at their sorting center with no further scans until it suddenly arrived in my city . I am feeling absolutley horrible about this as any victim of this sort of thing would I guess. I already spoke to my mail carrier and called the post office who opened a case and postal inspectors will contact me next week. They said thid is very serious. I emailed the help area at otakon Outlining all the details and pictures of everything and i received a reply back that the issue was being forwarded to otakon registration troubleshooting team. That's the last I heard so far. I'm hoping that the stolen badge can be deactivated and a replacement sent to me quickly, i want to enter with my family who now have their badges . The other two in the mailing that was actually in the envelope. I never expected anything like this. This would completely ruin everything for us. I hope Otakon can help me. I'm a little panicky because it's so close to the Con start date. Please everyone continue to help with your postings and advice because it's really helping and I appreciate it. But still think is is unbelievable. Like a bad dream because we plan all year to go to Otakon.

Thank you so much for your concern. Since one badge and one lanyard was taken i can only think that it was stolen. I think it may be a postal worker because usps was the only one with physical contact. There were no usps scans indicating the priority envelope was damaged, in addition it was delayed a couple of days at their sorting center with no further scans until it suddenly arrived in my city . I am feeling absolutley horrible about this as any victim of this sort of thing would I guess. I already spoke to my mail carrier and called the post office who opened a case and postal inspectors will contact me next week. They said thid is very serious. I emailed the help area at otakon Outlining all the details and pictures of everything and i received a reply back that the issue was being forwarded to otakon registration troubleshooting team. That's the last I heard so far. I'm hoping that the stolen badge can be deactivated and a replacement sent to me quickly, i want to enter with my family who now have their badges . The other two in the mailing that was actually in the envelope. I never expected anything like this. This would completely ruin everything for us. I hope Otakon can help me. I'm a little panicky because it's so close to the Con start date. Please everyone continue to help with your postings and advice because it's really helping and I appreciate it. But still think is is unbelievable. Like a bad dream because we plan all year to go to Otakon.

It's ridiculous that you have to go through that because someone may have been rude enough to just go in and steal one of the badges. I really do think sense you had proof and such of the matter that otakon will give you a replacement. I'd find them a little crazy if they didn't. I really do hope they get this all sorted for you and fixed in no time! I hate to see fellow con goers in such a rut!!

-Veltix-

Edited by pinkkatt28

Print out the receipt just in case, if u don't hear back from them or not sent another one by otakon, bring the receipt there and perhaps they can get u another, and maybe print out the emails too u sent to otakon and the postal office to show them as proof. They should help u out there if they can't before that. Sorry u had to go threw that. People are freaking ass holes and that's a federal offence. Hope they catch the guy/find it. They know where it was at so they can check all those places for it and question those ppl... Good luck person! Keep us updated! I hope they find it!

Otakon 2015 badge acquire!  The art looks really nice this year.  I also read the special instruction that came with it, about those who already have their badge picking up their program book.  It states that those goers can get them at either the Pratt St. OR Charles St. lobbies.  Is this for Thursday, and if so, what are the hours for this?

Actually comparing it to last year the lanyard type is the same but the hole in the badge is different. The hole is too small.

I ended up giving up and using my Crunchy Roll lanyard which I got at Otakon a couple years ago. It was much easier to put on.

mine has not moved in 24 hours :/

July 9, 2015 , 11:04 pm

Arrived at USPS Origin Facility

WARRENDALE, PA 15086  <--- last scan ohmy.png

wth?

that's 1,5 12 miles ohmy.png

Should it not have been scanned SOME place by now???

unsure.pnghuh.png

The USPS is one of the slowest delivery places to update their data. I honestly think they scan for a whole day, upload the batch at the end. From my experience, it is not uncommon for updates to take forever. They lost a package for me once. I called the vendor and USPS to say I never received it. The vendor sent me a new one. After it arrived, the Post Office called to say they found the original packaged and were sending it to me. I had to get them to list it as "refused shipment" to get the first package back to the vendor. That package had been to more states that I have. dry.png

I'm hoping the exact same thing. Maybe not names, even, but some sort of individualized barcode on the back of each and every badge? I really hope they can help this person out sad.png

I...think there is a way.

We got ours yesterday and we noticed that the first two elements in the barcode number were our initials followed by a set of numbers, making it easy to match badge to person.  I am CTXXX and his was PTXXX.  So the codes have some order to them.  I don't know the order to the numbers.

Nnnooooooooo...... Waited aallll day for the mailman, and of course when I step out for 10 mins he comes and misses me! Damn it! Well, looks like I'm just gonna have to pick it up on Monday.... All that waiting for nothing....

Received mine today, huzzah. Mail lady actually made me sign for it, so I guess the people not getting signatures are just lazy mail carriers. Seems like a waste to pay for the signature requirement though if the mail carriers are going to randomly ignore it. Didn't have to sign for my ACen or AX badges. I'm glad Otakon at least included the lanyard though instead of making me pick it up on-site like the other two.

We got ours today.

This might have already been discussed in this very long thread, but just in case it is useful or helpful to someone...

We had two different shipments coming to one address.  One arrived Friday, but no one was here to sign for it, so they left the card in the mailbox.

Today, the second one arrived, and when the carrier had me sign for the one that arrived today, I showed him the card that was left Friday, and asked if he had that one.  No, it was at the post office.  BUT, he said, if I signed that card and gave it to him, or just signed it and left it in the mailbox for him to find, he could deliver the badge and just leave it in the mailbox on the strength of the signed card that he would then have in his possession.

So, if you have no other alternative, you can sign the card that they left, put it back in the mailbox, and they'll deliver your priority mail package the next day.

Note that I am NOT necessarily recommending this.  If you do leave the signed card, and the carrier scans it, and your signature is registered into their system where it is visible that the delivery was signed for, and then (for some reason) you never find the envelope in the mailbox, then you will be Out Of Luck.  No badge, no Otakon in that scenario.

FWIW, I did NOT sign the Friday card and give it to the carrier.  I told him it would be too complicated if the delivery somehow went wrong.  He told me a secret, which was that (in this small northern New England town), even though the Post Office is closed on Saturday afternoon, someone is actually working in the back, and if you go to the Post Office and knock on the door or windows, they'll come out and take care of you.  Sure enough, it was true, and I was able to pickup the Friday badge on this Saturday afternoon from the nice guy hiding inside the Post Office.

But, if you have no other alternative, signing the card and putting it back in the mailbox is a way to solve the dilemma of how to get your badge delivered.

Hmm... received my tracking number yesterday and tracking indicated that it would be delivered today.  Problem was that there would be no one home today to sign for it so I expected to go pick it up from the Post Office on Monday. When I got home this evening, the badge was waiting for me in my mailbox.  Perhaps they are allowed to leave "signature required" items in mailboxes that require a key to access and not need a signature? My mailbox needs a key to get into.

Edited by Fadamor

Hmm... received my tracking number yesterday and tracking indicated that it would be delivered today.  Problem was that there would be no one home today to sign for it so I expected to go pick it up from the Post Office on Monday. When I got home this evening, the badge was waiting for me in my mailbox.  Perhaps they are allowed to leave "signature required" items in mailboxes that require a key to access and not need a signature? My mailbox needs a key to get into.

I think it is entirely dependent on the mail carrier. My mailbox requires a key, my badge was not left in it.

I see.  Our letter carrier spends many days stopped at our mailboxes and chatting on his cell rather than delivering mail, so... I could see him playing free and easy with the rules.dry.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.