Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kristin Garrett

Average temperature of convention space?

Question

Hopefully this qualifies as a 'serious' question :)

I'm one of those people that gets cold fairly easily, and as I haven't been to Ota in a few years I can't precisely recall just how cold the convention can possibly get. I'm probably going to bring a cardigan in my purse regardless, but I may also end up going with wearing jeans instead of shorts if it's going to be decently chilly.

3 answers to this question

it depends on where in the BCC you may be spending your time.  The Charles Street Lobby can be relatively on the warm side because of it being surrounded by mostly large window panes and a high volume of congoers milling about on the floor and near the fountains. The video rooms since it is constantly dark in there with not much people movement most of the time will probably have a lower ambient temperature.  The large halls for Artist Alley and Dealers seem to get it right as far as comfortability, but your mileage may vary. 

Remember that heat rises and cold air sinks.  Also, a more crowded area tends to raise the BTUs a bit. So, placing a cardigan in your "Bag of Holding" is a good idea. 

And the Inner Harbor during these Dog Days of Summer can be a bit on opressive side with its high humidity and extremely high temperatures (think "Bad Hair Day"), so don't be surprised by the high possibility of a sudden afternoon or evening downpour from the skies overhead. :-)

Probably somewhere in the low 60s....hard to say because video rooms are usually really cold unless it's packed full of people and then there are some random places that might randomly be as hot as outside....but if you're sensitive to cold layers are the way to go.

it depends on where in the BCC you may be spending your time.  The Charles Street Lobby can be relatively on the warm side because of it being surrounded by mostly large window panes and a high volume of congoers milling about on the floor and near the fountains. The video rooms since it is constantly dark in there with not much people movement most of the time will probably have a lower ambient temperature.  The large halls for Artist Alley and Dealers seem to get it right as far as comfortability, but your mileage may vary. 

Remember that heat rises and cold air sinks.  Also, a more crowded area tends to raise the BTUs a bit. So, placing a cardigan in your "Bag of Holding" is a good idea. 

And the Inner Harbor during these Dog Days of Summer can be a bit on opressive side with its high humidity and extremely high temperatures (think "Bad Hair Day"), so don't be surprised by the high possibility of a sudden afternoon or evening downpour from the skies overhead. :-)

Thanks for the info! I live in Northern VA so I'm all too familiar with how disgustingly hot and humid it is up here :(

I'll likely be spending most of my time in the AA helping my friends or in the dealers room making my wallet cry, for sure. An umbrella is a great idea too, given how often it's been raining up here lately! Thanks!