Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SlyBlue

Using Uber during con

Question

I was wondering if anyone has used Uber in the past to get to and from the con from your hotel.  My hotel is only a mile away so i was thinking of just walking whenever possible, however with the heat, and traveling alone later at night after the dances I think it would be best to take Uber or a Taxi. 

My main concern would be the availability/wait times for a pickup with Uber during the con weekend, as well as how much the pricing jumps due to the high demand.  Has anyone had any experience with this? 

6 answers to this question

I have used Uber and Lyft for various events and trips. Its a great service. I've only had one issue with a Uber driver in NYC that cancelled on me, never called and charged me a fee. I sent in a complaint and it was resolved within a few hours.

If you use Uber take uberx which is generally a standard car and can offer a lower price.

You also want to be aware of surge pricing. You may see due to the increase in demand over the weekend which means the fare can go up. This applies to both Lyft and Uber.

With the demand being higher there will most likely be a wait time for pick up. But I have not had to wait more then 10-15min for a car.

Which hotel is it? It won't help with super late night, but it's worth knowing about Baltimore's free bus system and checking if your hotel is near one of the routes

http://www.charmcitycirculator.com/

I was wondering if anyone has used Uber in the past to get to and from the con from your hotel.  My hotel is only a mile away so i was thinking of just walking whenever possible, however with the heat, and traveling alone later at night after the dances I think it would be best to take Uber or a Taxi. 

My main concern would be the availability/wait times for a pickup with Uber during the con weekend, as well as how much the pricing jumps due to the high demand.  Has anyone had any experience with this? 

There usually are taxis waiting near the convention center if that helps. But I guess you could try Uber to see if you can get a better price.

Which hotel is it? It won't help with super late night, but it's worth knowing about Baltimore's free bus system and checking if your hotel is near one of the routes

http://www.charmcitycirculator.com/

Thanks I will be at the Hyatt Place Inner Harbor, so i could take the Orange line as well.  I figured those would probably be packed, and with my social anxiety figured I would be worth spending a little extra on a cab/uber.

I have used Uber and Lyft for various events and trips. Its a great service. I've only had one issue with a Uber driver in NYC that cancelled on me, never called and charged me a fee. I sent in a complaint and it was resolved within a few hours.

If you use Uber take uberx which is generally a standard car and can offer a lower price.

You also want to be aware of surge pricing. You may see due to the increase in demand over the weekend which means the fare can go up. This applies to both Lyft and Uber.

With the demand being higher there will most likely be a wait time for pick up. But I have not had to wait more then 10-15min for a car.

Thanks that's exactly what i was looking for, 10-15 mins isn't that bad at all.  I figured between Pride weekend and Otakon, there would be surge pricing.

SlyBlue, there will definitely be surge pricing in the evening. If you catch an uber or uberx in the early morning you will be okay. Its worth it to uber and at night will be worth the surge pricing. I would not recommend using baltimore cabs at all unless they are a newer vehicle with the meter clearly visible. You have a fifty fifty chance of having a bad experience in a normal cab.

I'm a veteran baltimore cab taker because i drink too much so trust me on this. UberX is the way to go here as the drivers are nice and cars are okay. It's not like NYC where the volume is so high you can easily be dumped. Take a black car in the morning and stop for sbux etc on the way if you're feeling splurgey slash wanna look baller.