Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

danielb

Artist Alley vs Dealer Room

Question

Why are the schedules and entry/exit rules different between artist alley and the dealer room?  It seems like Artist Alley has gotten to be the Etsy of Otakon, mostly populated by small businesses, and they're allowed longer hours and easier entry/exit than the dealer room.  Any chance these rules could be extended to the dealer room as well?

9 answers to this question

I asked a dealer's room vendor at Nekocon this same question once and he responded that it had to do with him working his staffers more than 8 hours and was also tied in to specific legal codes that designated how long vendors could sell merchandise within the premises of the convention center.  I'm not sure if this specifically applies to Otakon but I would imagine that it might fall somewhere along those lines. 

I'm not sure how the convention designates between "vendors" and "artists selling their wares" though. 

I thought that at first but then when I went to Magfest earlier in the year at the National Harbor (which is held in the Gaylord Hotel & Convention Center), the vendor room was open 24/7. Now granted, a majority of vendors were closed for the night, but a couple were still open, most notability Video Games New York were open for longer than 8 hours at Magfest. I think it has more to do with the convention center rules is what I can think of or something else I might be missing.

One year at MAGFest there was a vendor that was open 24 hours that also sold snacks. I am sure they must have made a killing.

I thought that at first but then when I went to Magfest earlier in the year at the National Harbor (which is held in the Gaylord Hotel & Convention Center), the vendor room was open 24/7. Now granted, a majority of vendors were closed for the night, but a couple were still open, most notability Video Games New York were open for longer than 8 hours at Magfest. I think it has more to do with the convention center rules is what I can think of or something else I might be missing.

I went to my first MAGFest this year and I thought it was crazy that the vendor booths remained open 24/7.  I know they put ample security in there to prevent rampant robbery, but I would be paranoid about closing down a booth with merch still inside when attendees still have access to the vendor space all night. 

A table could close at any time they chose and would have everything quite covered up with tarps, etc. If someone did try to get in to them it would be slow and extremely noticeable.

Why are the schedules and entry/exit rules different between artist alley and the dealer room?  It seems like Artist Alley has gotten to be the Etsy of Otakon, mostly populated by small businesses, and they're allowed longer hours and easier entry/exit than the dealer room.  Any chance these rules could be extended to the dealer room as well?

And that's exactly what AA is supposed to be, small independent artists selling their personally made goods.

AA is the "let me bring what I made at home" one, Dealers Room is the "let me grab tens of thousands of dollars of merchandise from my retail store" one.

from the table cost and rules, there are a whole different set of rules. From an con goer perspective, they are both selling goods.  Granted artist alley is more all custom handmade/handcrafted or designed but produced in small batchs at a factory... while as dealers are like your retail store.  they are the Business 2 Customer outlet. While sometimes you have the direct Industry 2 Customer @ the Industry booths.  Like the year when Goodsmile was here but as part of another industry booth. 

The only thing I really didn't like about the Dealers room was that the Entrance and the Exit where in totally different poles so the first day I walked from one side to another looking for the entrance cause when I finally found it a Staff member told me I should go around because the room was not opened and there was a huge line all the way to where he sent me... But... I kinda got lost lol

Also didn't like the hours, like 6pm on Saturday? Really? but the "8hrs Shift" Theory makes sense now that you mention it. Some of the stores at the Dealers Room hire ppl to be there (They dont even know about anime some times lol), while in the Artist Alley the actual Artists are there... So I manage to met my fav web comic artist and got a commission from her~ Yay~