Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thefarawaylife

To-do list for the final year in Baltimore

2016 will be a year of last chances and goodbyes to long patronized establishments. What's on your B'more bucket list?

In 8 years I've never so much as been in the room where the rave is held, I intend to finally check it out. I also think I might have to finally, actually cosplay. One last group dinner at Matsuri before that personal tradition is over.

P.S: First!

I bought tickets on a very early train for this year, so I should have more time to spare on Thursday.

I think that I will visit the aquarium.  I haven't been to it since I was a child, when my parents took my brother and I to it because fish seemed to be the one thing that we both found interesting.  It's one of the reasons that I have a special affection for Baltimore and should still be a good way to spend an hour or two. 

Maybe I'll finally ask Masao Maruyama that one question.  It's not very good or important, but I've been sitting on it for four years now.

This may sound dumb but because I live in Baltimore this will be the year I am there for every minute. Wake up early and get there and stay until the night ends. 

I want to make sure to make every moment count this year. :')

Last year, I really didn't have the energy to do everything I wanted at Otakon, so this year I'm going to have to get in shape or get a lot of coffee and energy drinks to keep me going, lol. I want to do as much as physically possible for Baltimore's last Otakon. Also, I've never cosplayed at Otakon, so that's definitely on my list.

Okay yeah ignore that "test" post... Stupid thing isn't letting me edit.

On 2/19/2016 at 4:51 PM, thefarawaylife said:

2016 will be a year of last chances and goodbyes to long patronized establishments. What's on your B'more bucket list?

In 8 years I've never so much as been in the room where the rave is held, I intend to finally check it out. I also think I might have to finally, actually cosplay. One last group dinner at Matsuri before that personal tradition is over.

P.S: First!

You know, in over 10 years of going I've never been to the room the rave is in either! I always imagined it was being very crowded and hot, so was never tempted to go in. I should probably make a point to do so this year though. 

21 minutes ago, grimacedia said:

You know, in over 10 years of going I've never been to the room the rave is in either! I always imagined it was being very crowded and hot, so was never tempted to go in. I should probably make a point to do so this year though. 

I was in there in 2009 with a friend. We wanted to see what all the hub bub was about..... We weren't amused, so we ended up just turning right around and we sat on our laptops outside the room. haha.

20 hours ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

I was in there in 2009 with a friend. We wanted to see what all the hub bub was about..... We weren't amused, so we ended up just turning right around and we sat on our laptops outside the room. haha.

Ha! I haven't gone to a rave at a con in a long time. Honestly the ones I've been to just smelled horribly, so that kinda turned me off to the idea. 

My friends and I have made a tradition to going out to eat sushi on sunday after the con. I can't remember the place though. It was pretty close to the convention center and pretty nice inside. 

3 minutes ago, mellow-osity said:

Ha! I haven't gone to a rave at a con in a long time. Honestly the ones I've been to just smelled horribly, so that kinda turned me off to the idea. 

My friends and I have made a tradition to going out to eat sushi on sunday after the con. I can't remember the place though. It was pretty close to the convention center and pretty nice inside. 

If you're thinking of Edo Sushi, then it was closed down in the past year..... I've eaten there... maybe once... good food.

I just looked it up. It's the Kona Grill. This is usually our "splurge" meal. Sushi and cocktails. Mmm....

In ten years I've also never been in the rave, it's not my kind of music and I can't dance to save my life. I've also never played any of the games in the game room. I feel so intimidated because every TV has at least one person who looks like they mastered the game. I'm definitely going to the AMV contest, hopefully I'll get a video together to submit.

1 hour ago, mellow-osity said:

I just looked it up. It's the Kona Grill. This is usually our "splurge" meal. Sushi and cocktails. Mmm....

OMG Yes! Kona grill FTW! The name reminds me of Konata from Lucky Star haha

45 minutes ago, Neardawg said:

In ten years I've also never been in the rave, it's not my kind of music and I can't dance to save my life. I've also never played any of the games in the game room. I feel so intimidated because every TV has at least one person who looks like they mastered the game. I'm definitely going to the AMV contest, hopefully I'll get a video together to submit.

I second the rave notion. lol. Also the game room is awesome usually at Ota. I usually spend my time around the music rhythm games like DDR and Project Diva F/F2nd (of which I'm pretty good at).

On 2/22/2016 at 3:50 PM, grimacedia said:

That's a pretty spot on assumption - just add smelly and lots of inappropriate touching/people making out. I went once briefly and that was more than enough for me. There's almost always a line to get into the room too.

I fully intend to actually have a splurge meal this year. We always bring out own food (crock pot meals ftw), and maybe order cheap chinese once - so it'd be nice to finally have a nice meal out. We'll probably check out the aquarium one last time too. If it's still there, I also fully intend to hit up the bead store. Our local one closed down and there's none left in my area. Its nice to stock up in person where you can see and touch stuff, rather than online or the selections from the chain craft stores.

This year I'm going to finally buy a water from the Ice Cold Water guy.

1 hour ago, vidfan said:

This year I'm going to finally buy a water from the Ice Cold Water guy.

We should all start a gofundme and raise money to have ICWG and his ice ice cold cold water shipped to DC in 2017. It's really just not Otakon if we don't have that ice cold water for only $1

5 hours ago, thefarawaylife said:

We should all start a gofundme and raise money to have ICWG and his ice ice cold cold water shipped to DC in 2017. It's really just not Otakon if we don't have that ice cold water for only $1

He'd probably need a permit to sell in DC. But I agree, it'd be weird if he weren't there.

I am from a generation before there were raves of ANY kind, so I've always been of the mindset that it's better if the kids don't have to look at some strange old coot standing against the wall and nodding his head to the beat. I did go visit the game room for the first time last year and was impressed at the variety, but the last arcade-style game I played was a Hydro-Thunder in the cinema and the last console game I played... eh... Guitar Hero on the Wii?  Yeah I'd get pwned by some 10-year-old on every game in the Game Room.

One thing I'd like to do this year (especially since I've opted to have my badge mailed to me this year) is to finally visit Geppi's Entertainment Museum on Thursday afternoon.

On 2/22/2016 at 3:50 PM, grimacedia said:

I've been to the rave a few times over the years and don't tend to stay more than a few minutes, I get bored with that scene pretty easily. It was was crowded and hot before they moved it from the autograph area to the lower floors - it was insane they even had it up there to begin with. Its slightly better in the new area, but still, not my scene.

On 2/24/2016 at 7:48 AM, thefarawaylife said:

I like the idea. We should give him some kind of award.

On 2/24/2016 at 7:48 AM, thefarawaylife said:

I'd chip in!

This will only be my second year but I want to make the most of it! I want to spend as much time at the con as possible and I really want to meet up with people that I became friends with last year. I also want to take as many photos as possible since I don't know if I'll be able to make it when it's moved to DC. 

On 2/21/2016 at 4:56 PM, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

Okay yeah ignore that "test" post... Stupid thing isn't letting me edit.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

going to the rave (for once) is definitely on my list :D. I already accomplished one of my goals last year by going to the Artist Alley for the first time. But now, I strive to stay as late as possible and go to the dance. 

6 hours ago, INK said:

going to the rave (for once) is definitely on my list :D. I already accomplished one of my goals last year by going to the Artist Alley for the first time. But now, I strive to stay as late as possible and go to the dance. 

As I said several posts ago the rave is sorta meh for me.. Whenever I go into the AA or DR I almost instantly get depressed due to not being able to get anything and everything I want without going into massive MASSIVE debt. lol. I do get at least one thing from either or both though... so I should be ok *breathes heavily*.... lol

The rave is a hit or miss, I liked it more where it was back in 2004 and 2005 in the upstairs area but back then there was a lot less people too, the new place works well but someone really needs to crank up the AC or hook up a bunch of fans cause the place get way to hot to fast with all those people.

I will never forget seeing a couple people just sitting down near the water cooler close to passing out cause theres not enough circulation and some people do not know "when to take a break".

Not so much of a convention thing, but getting all of the seafood I can eat since its not really available or good in Mongolia.  There was one place that had good muscles but they weren't very good last year.

On 2/28/2016 at 8:27 AM, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

As I said several posts ago the rave is sorta meh for me.. Whenever I go into the AA or DR I almost instantly get depressed due to not being able to get anything and everything I want without going into massive MASSIVE debt. lol. I do get at least one thing from either or both though... so I should be ok *breathes heavily*.... lol

really? Rave's not all that, huh? haha well thanks for the heads up:D now if i go, i wont feel as awkward wanting to leave early lol

2 hours ago, INK said:

really? Rave's not all that, huh? haha well thanks for the heads up:D now if i go, i wont feel as awkward wanting to leave early lol

Don't let me discourage you from trying it out. lol I suck at dancing and being in the sweaty room just isn't something I wanna do.

My to do list:

Milk

Eggs

Vodka

Steak

Bread

Butter

Doughnuts.

On February 25, 2016 at 9:54 PM, Fadamor said:

I'd chip in!

Not me . I discovered he really just wants to sell the bottle of water. He sort of has contempt for the convention goers as I found out after speaking to him a bit and over the years. Just wants to get money off of them. He doesn't mind selling you a bottle of water. If you want to take a picture with him. No way. I assume he wants you to make him a money offer. He sets it up by saying ...No....I've taken a lot of pictures today the. Sees what you're going to say next. It has to have dollar signs in the sentence. The others selling water outside actually are more appreciative and his water isn't that cold by the way. Sorry to burst the folk hero scenario. But it is what it is. Let's see if he's that ambitious to follow to DC. ...don't count on it . Lol 

On 2/24/2016 at 10:23 PM, TnAdct1 said:

One thing I'd like to do this year (especially since I've opted to have my badge mailed to me this year) is to finally visit Geppi's Entertainment Museum on Thursday afternoon.

Do it, it's awesome.

As for me(even though it's still up in the air), I wanna hit Geppi's one last time, and finally get to the top of the World Trade Center and take pictures...

2 hours ago, onsenmark said:

Do it, it's awesome.

As for me(even though it's still up in the air), I wanna hit Geppi's one last time, and finally get to the top of the World Trade Center and take pictures...

Ohh I forget there's an observation deck. I need to do that

Have fun, see old friends and compete In my LAST masquerade and videogame tournaments. Say goodbye to all of my friends. Basically, this otakon is my final bow. I've been doing this for 15 years and I have made that decision in my life and to my wife here in Texas... that I must retire. Thank you guys for the past 15 years of my con legacy. *cracks open a bottle of ice cold water*

Until we meet again.

My biggest goal this year is to actually enter the hall contest and not have to bow out due to something happening. I just seem to have really bad luck with this con.

The slightly smaller but probably less doable goal is to not get injured in some way, shape, or form. In 2008, I sprained my ankle at the con then walked on it all weekend (which only made it worse), and it never healed properly. Every year since, I've managed to injure myself somehow, whether it's wiping out on concrete, tripping in the street, falling down stairs, re-spraining my ankle, or stabbing myself with needles and pins during late night sewing binges in the hotel room.

Sadly, unless they pull a guest that's on my "can't miss" list after the move to DC, I may be making this my last Otakon. Nothing against Otakon! I just... really hate DC.

On 3/18/2016 at 11:11 PM, Maydog said:

Not me . I discovered he really just wants to sell the bottle of water. He sort of has contempt for the convention goers as I found out after speaking to him a bit and over the years. Just wants to get money off of them. He doesn't mind selling you a bottle of water. If you want to take a picture with him. No way. I assume he wants you to make him a money offer. He sets it up by saying ...No....I've taken a lot of pictures today the. Sees what you're going to say next. It has to have dollar signs in the sentence. The others selling water outside actually are more appreciative and his water isn't that cold by the way. Sorry to burst the folk hero scenario. But it is what it is. Let's see if he's that ambitious to follow to DC. ...don't count on it . Lol 

You're missing some context. He used to have no problem with pictures, then found that someone had taken a picture of him, slapped it on T-shirts along with his tag line, then started selling them online without his permission. If your beef is only that he wouldn't let you take a picture, then you have no beef at all. As for the water not really being "ice cold", DUH! Then he'd be selling ice, not water. <_<

20 hours ago, DDR BIG C said:

Have fun, see old friends and compete In my LAST masquerade and videogame tournaments. Say goodbye to all of my friends. Basically, this otakon is my final bow. I've been doing this for 15 years and I have made that decision in my life and to my wife here in Texas... that I must retire. Thank you guys for the past 15 years of my con legacy. *cracks open a bottle of ice cold water*

Until we meet again.

I guess I can understand that. I've been going to Otakon for a long time myself, but because of the expense, I've been going on a "year to year" basis mode. This could be my last Otakon, or maybe not. It's not the move that's going to stop me from attending, but the cost.

Otakon may lose a fair amount of regular attendees because of the move, but they may also gain new ones to make up for it. For example: AnimeNEXT is going to be at a different and further away location for where they were last year. They definitely going to lose some of the locals where they were, but they may also gain new people in their new place.

We'll wait and see.

20 hours ago, Daniel Perales said:

I guess I can understand that. I've been going to Otakon for a long time myself, but because of the expense, I've been going on a "year to year" basis mode. This could be my last Otakon, or maybe not. It's not the move that's going to stop me from attending, but the cost.

Otakon may lose a fair amount of regular attendees because of the move, but they may also gain new ones to make up for it. For example: AnimeNEXT is going to be at a different and further away location for where they were last year. They definitely going to lose some of the locals where they were, but they may also gain new people in their new place.

We'll wait and see.

Considering all the problems staying in baltimore caused otakon the move will do more good then harm.  Otakon got too big for the bcc years ago but they stayed to honor there contract with them. 

On 3/21/2016 at 6:07 PM, thefarawaylife said:

Ohh I forget there's an observation deck. I need to do that

I'm definitely doing that too.

I might try to make it to the aquarium, which has nothing to do with Otakon per say, but every year I say "let's go to the aquarium on Thursday" and every year I run late and don't make it to Baltimore in time!

I've also never been to the Masquerade or in the Game Room, so maybe I should try that too.

On March 25, 2016 at 5:33 AM, Fadamor said:

You're missing some context. He used to have no problem with pictures, then found that someone had taken a picture of him, slapped it on T-shirts along with his tag line, then started selling them online without his permission. If your beef is only that he wouldn't let you take a picture, then you have no beef at all. As for the water not really being "ice cold", DUH! Then he'd be selling ice, not water. <_<

Maybe you're right. I was not aware he got burned by someone doing that. I hope it wasn't an Otakon member who did that. I can only speak to my contacts with him though . He never refused any photos with me he just wanted to negotiate the highest price he could for  you to do it. I always bought water from him even if I bought it from someone else even a couple of minutes before. Just because he was sort of an icon there every year so I wanted him to make the money .For some reason it was always room temperature though. Maybe it was the time of day. Who knows . But whatever. The other vendors selling water would actually freeze it which was a great idea. The ice would melt as you waited on line and you enjoyed a satisfying ice cold drink as you waited outside.Maybe instead of transplanting Baltimore memories to Washington DC we should embrace some new flavors that develop at the new venue. I walked to the donut shop one night during the last years Otakon. All I saw were crack heads hanging out in every corner. Didn't see any Com goers venturing there . They remain around the main drags. I also noticed some thug types venturing in on the strip looking like they wanted to mug somebody or something. I also noticed much less of a police presence. There were also a lot of negative preachers operating to the captive Otakon lineup outside saying some terrible things about them. No...Otakon made a very good decision . Definitely time to go.

Yeah the evangelist outside of the BCC was pretty funny.  I would have stayed and laughed at him longer, but it was too hot to be doing that during midday. The religious fanatics are always good for a chuckle or two - acting like they know ANYTHING about me.

• I've never been to the Matsuri. Would like to check that out.
  • I haven't been to the Masquerade since 2009 or 2010. I would like to see that again (providing there aren't any panels during that time frame that I want to see).
  • The number of pictures I take has been declining over the years, a combination of seeing the same cosplay 64748787817 times & laziness. This year I want to take ALL of the pictures!!1!

That's all I can think of atm.

3 hours ago, Maydog said:

There were also a lot of negative preachers operating to the captive Otakon lineup outside saying some terrible things about them.

I've seen vids about that and what they are saying is very offensive to me as a Christian!! The scriptures say love everyone unconditionally. Telling people to go to hell? I find that very wrong! God loves us all!

14 hours ago, Maydog said:

They remain around the main drags. I also noticed some thug types venturing in on the strip looking like they wanted to mug somebody or something. I also noticed much less of a police presence. There were also a lot of negative preachers operating to the captive Otakon lineup outside saying some terrible things about them. No...Otakon made a very good decision . Definitely time to go.

To be fair, last year the police were virtually on strike, and there was a lot of post-riot tension in the air. It was likely an exception, not the the new normal. If we can get through the next few months without major scandal, conditions should be better than last year's.

12 hours ago, sarahstrangex said:
  •  
  • The number of pictures I take has been declining over the years, a combination of seeing the same cosplay 64748787817 times & laziness. This year I want to take ALL of the pictures!!1!

Same, and it sucks because I got too tired and lazy of taking pictures around the same time I got a camera worth taking them with. I might have to put more effort into it this time

Hey FYI - For anyone/everyone who wants to visit the Aquarium as part of their last hurrah this year, they give $5 off general admission if you show your Otakon badge at the ticket window. :)

As for me, I'd like to see more of Matsuri since I always plan to go, but then between packing, driving, checking in, unpacking, eating, etc. I always seem to miss it. In years past it was Linegate, so last year I was excited when we had our badges mailed...though we still managed to miss it. Bah.

And for a part of the con, I'd like to hover in the Atrium or outside more and check out more cosplays. DH and I are usually so busy scurrying between panels, Q&As, Dealer's Room, Artist Alley, etc. that we only see them in passing. We may check out a concert too because we've never gone as it always happened to coincide with something else.