Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F00LY

Hotel Comparison

Hello all!

I am curious how other hotel rooms are by comparison for price.

Days Inn is $30 cheaper than the Holiday Inn.  It's closer, but are the rooms/beds significantly smaller? Less amenities?
The Hilton is $30 more expensive than the Holday Inn.  It's closer, but are the rooms/beds larger? More amenities?

In the years I've gone to Otakon, I have stayed at 2 hotels in recent years.  

My brief rundown of the hotels I've stayed at...

Radisson Plaza Lord Baltimore - This place was a nightmare.  This was the year several people had their room unexpectedly cancelled. Nearly all the elevators were broken all the time.  The staff ranged from moderately helpful to meh. The room was very cramped, though we did have 6 people.  The Holiday Inn definitely felt better on every front. Provided a fridge.

Holiday Inn - The staff has always been absolutely amazing.  Check-In and Check-Out is always a breeze.  Getting the stuff to our room and the carts are almost always available in the years we've gone, though we're pretty diligent about getting good timing.  I've honestly loved the experience here. We usually have 5-6 people in my room. It feels slightly crowded, but not over-bearing.  Rooms definitely felt larger than the Radisson Lord Baltimore. Provided a fridge. 

Anyone able to do similar comparisons?

Experiences:

Hilton is a nice hotel, but overpriced in every way.  Typically anything other than the room, including WiFi, has cost extra (and at a high price to boot).  The staff were very nice as they are warned beforehand what Otakon is like and they trade shifts for people who want/don't want to handle it.  Check in and Out were easy, its very professional. Too expensive to be worth it in my opinion, but nice.

Fairfield Inn - Small, a bit of a walk, but cheap and with a free breakfast.  It was a good value in terms of room cost vs. inconvenience but it does require a walk and starts to border on some less safe streets.  The staff were neutral, some were pretty nice, but a few were obviously just weirded out by the costumes.  I would recommend on the basis of good value, but for something like a group of all young girls I'd definitely be a bit cautious.

The others I have been at were long enough ago that I don't feel any review would be justified since they might have changed significantly since then.

I've kept short little notes on all the hotels I've stayed at each year. Obviously they aren't too descriptive but oh well. Note the re-occurring issue at Days Inn; every year on Sunday they kindly take our bags to hold onto until we actually leave (we get a ride there, so no car to store stuff in Sunday after check out). They do this for everyone, pretty much. Except they toss the luggage haphazardly into a random uncleaned guest room. Or three or four guest rooms. One bag ends up in one room, one bag in another, etc. There's always a moment of panic as we frantically search every single room for all of our luggage that somehow magically gets separated!!! But overall for how close it is, I don't have many major complaints. Either way this will be my last year at Otakon/in Baltimore, so yeah. Also have Days Inn again for 2016. Just can't beat the convenience of being close. Plus I *think* (can't remember) all the rooms have fridges and microwaves which is super convenient. And honestly, all hotel rooms feel about the same size for me so I can't really compare to the other places I've stayed at.

Oh and of course pretty much all the hotels take foreverrrrr to check out of & have slow elevators but that's to be expected during a convention. I've carried my luggage down 5451564654 flights of stairs because I've been too impatient to wait for the horrible elevators.

2008 - Holday Inn Express - NOOOOOOOOOOOO
2009 - Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel - decent except only lobby had free internet
2010 - Baltimore Marriott Waterfront - decent minus the lack of water/pool
2011 - Hilton - lol horrible elevators and broken toilet
2012 - Days Inn - lack of water on thursday, super slow internet, almost lost bags
2013 - Days Inn - almost lost bags
2014 - Days Inn - fine I think
2015 - Days Inn - average as usual except for super slow internet & almost lost bags

I've kept notes on the various hotels as well over the years. In general you can't go wrong with priceline as it's a lot cheaper than Otakon's hotel vendor but you tend to get hotels on the periphery.

2010- Baltimore Waterfront Marriott- nice hotel with a great view and a very helpful staff. The only problem is the hike to the BCC in the summer heat. Not the best choice if you have extravagant cosplays

2011- Fairfield Inn- Once again, far from the BCC but it's a new hotel and has a nice free breakfast. It is smaller so it tends to feel really crowded and parking is limited

2012- Hilton- incredibly convenient but also very overpriced.

2015- Holiday Inn Express Downtown- Very cool hotel in a renovated bank building with big rooms and a nice free breakfast. The problem is the distance and the location is a little..."iffy." You'll need to spend an extra $15 a day on guaranteed parking with a pass since there are only about 25-30 spaces available. I would NOT recommend walking to the BCC. The hotel does have a shuttle service however. 

My group got the Renaissance Harborplace this year so hopefully that is a good experience. 

I've stayed in three hotels so far, and all experiences have been good:

Hampton Inn (one near Downtown/Convention Center)- Great experience. The room had tons of space (2 queens and a pull out sofa), free wifi, free continental breakfast (or a to-go bag), and was really close to the convention center.

Baltimore Waterfront Marriott: Very luxurious hotel, although the room was a little small. I love the cafe and restaurant on the ground floor, and their breakfast options are great. I think the wifi was free here too, cannot remember. The distance was a little much so we only traveled back to the room a few times. 

Lord Baltimore- The room was okay, two double beds but a little cramped. AC was great and not too loud, but there was a lot of partying going on in the rooms around us so that wasn't great. On the plus side, the staff were great and supplied us with free earplugs so we could sleep. There is a cafe on the ground floor as well but it wasn't very impressive; the bar is nice though. The distance was an issue but we traveled in groups so that made it better.

I've stayed in the Holiday Inn and Days Inn in my days at Otakon. Both hotels are practically a stone's throw away from the convention center; the Days Inn is right across the street and the Holiday Inn is about a two and a half minute walk away. The service at both hotels is great, but the Holiday Inn is a bit nicer in terms of property and amenities. For me, it's not worth the extra $$ per night compared to getting to stay right across the street from the convention.

This year we're going big and staying at the Hilton for the con's last year in Baltimore. I know it's super overpriced but I hope it doesn't disappoint.

For the past several years (7-8) I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency. It's a little more expensive, but it's a decent hotel, and the geographical convenience of quick access to the BCC and Harborplace are well worth it to me.

Previously, I've been at the Hilton (the first year in Baltimore IIRC), Days Inn, Holiday Inn, possibly the Marriott and the Wyndham (or whatever it's called now - maybe the Radisson?). Never had a bad experience, but the last one was a long walk and not exactly something I want to do at 1 AM again.

I've stayed Hyatt Regency as well the past few years I've gone. It was a tad more expensive than some of the other options, but the walk is short (all of 5 minutes, if that) over the bridge, and the hotel itself is very quiet, clean, and pretty. I'm a fan of it.

Like Otaku Ru I've mainly stayed at Holiday Inn Inner Harbor & Days Inn but stayed in the former most of the time and the latter maybe once or twice.

Reason being Holiday Inn Inner Harbor seems bigger in general compared to Days Inn, Could barely find space to lay our luggage out in the room /roll our luggage around the room (and we had a double-bedded room). 

I also only recall Days Inn having 2 elevators (unless they had more in another back hallway somewhere), Holiday Inn Inner Harbor had 4 - assuming none go down over the weekend for maintenance.

One of the biggest deal-breakers for me/us though, which some may or may not care about, was actually in terms of the respective "reward clubs" ...I don't know if they changed it in recent years but when I stayed with Days Inn under the Otakon room block they refused to give credit for the stay under their "reward club".....Holiday Inn's priority club (now referred to as IHG) on the contrary has honored & credited it every time. But yeah, this is something most might not care about if you don't care about "hotel reward clubs."  

and...again...this might be kind of biased and it's been quite a while since I stayed at Days Inn so I wouldn't know if they remodeled/changed a lot since then and now....

This is all fascinating.  Sounds like my group has some decision making to do.  Our biggest concerns are ( #1 Space for 5 people ) +  ( #2 Mini Fridge ).  We've only done Holiday Inn in the past, and want to decide whose reservation is being kept and whose is being tossed.

It seems like we get a pickle based off responses.

Holiday Inn is moderate for space, moderate for distance, good for amenities.
Days Inn is meh for space, good for distance, moderate for amenities. 
Hilton is moderate for space, amazing for distance, and poor for amenities.

Hmmmmm

That's about right. I've been in the Holiday Inn for the past 6 years and never looked back. Days Inn is cheap but the experience was just not consistent and for a modest extra you get a lot more space in the Holiday Inn.

Hilton ...depends if you have status or not, lol. If not, then you are paying more for better facility(but less amenities) and closeness to the con (no need to go outside is not a bad perk).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about "other amenities" but both Days Inn and Holiday Inner Harbor: all their rooms are supposed to have fridges and microwaves.

Granted I heard one year people in the "tower" part of Holiday Inn Inner Harbor were missing something but I think that year they were in the middle of..well...installing microwaves and fridges to the rest of the rooms. 

Hilton, from what I hear, does not provide either (not sure if there is an option to get them if you pay extra).

Also... pretty sure internet there is not free as well....while the other two are (though....speed is always a pain on free internet so probably not wise to use this as a deciding factor anyway...)

Really comes down to room space and whether there are people in your group who want to constantly go back and forth from the room, repeatedly, and mind or don't mind the walk.

Holiday Inn Inner Harbor you kinda need to cross across the light rail tracks, go past Chipotle, past that small "back alley"/parking lot and around cuz the main door is facing away from the BCC (though sometimes you can go through the back door, although I think it was kept locked last year)

While Days Inn, you know...is on the side -perpendicular to BCC- and just gotta cross the street and BAM, BCC door right there.

I've stayed at 3 places, but can only remember the Holiday Inn because the other two were so woeful that I've put a mental block on them. HI was great when I went, and had a heck of a lot more room than the other two. This year my wife and I are staying at Hotel Monaco, which looks to be less than a 10 minute walk to the Con. Bit on the pricey side, but seems pretty fancy (and includes complimentary Bikes to guests, which is kinda cool). Haven't seen many con-goers mention it and I hadn't heard of it until early this year, so we'll see how it goes.

I'm staying at the Hotel Monaco as well.  I stayed there my first and second years, but stayed at the Lord Baltimore last year.  I originally booked the Lord Baltimore my first year, but was moved to the Monaco because of renovations.

The Hotel Monaco is very nice; it has a very 'fashionably modern' feel to it.  I also took some satisfaction in it being housed within what was formerly the headquarters of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad.  The rooms are well appointed with current, high quality furnishings and the staff very obliging.  Their restaurant, the B&O American Brasserie is rather nice, although not economical.  It has an excellent cocktail menu.  I especially recommend the Coppertop no. 1.  The Hotel Monaco is expensive relative to the other hotels, so it's quite reasonable that many choose others.  I consider it worth paying for if you are fortunate to have the fiscal room to accommodate it, especially for the final year in Baltimore.

I never found the walk onerous, but it's the kind of thing that I'm used to doing.  Depending upon traffic and other conditions, I usually traverse the distance to the convention center and back in ten or fifteen minutes.  It's worth taking some care to familiarize yourself a little with the area and route.  It's not a dangerous neighborhood and or confusingly arranged, but as strange in Baltimore, I did get a little lost a few times my first year, which can easily lead to becoming unduly nervous. I've encountered one or two people having similar experiences in the past.

I did like the Lord Baltimore well enough, however.  It's more modest accommodations than the Hotel Monaco, but also commensurately cheaper.  My room was satisfactory and the lobby bar is a pretty nice amenity.  The cafe is nothing special, but was convenient for an easy breakfast or snack.  I didn't care at all for their restaurant, however.  The dining room is beautiful, but the food was very dull tasting. 

The only downtown Baltimore hotel I've booked at is the Residence Inn on 17 Light Street (2013-present). 2009-2011 my group booked at either the Sleep Inn or the Comfort Inn about 20 mins away on the light rail going towards BWI (airport). N Linthicum is the station we'd get off at/originate from. In 2012 I stayed with friends in Millersville, MD which is closer to Annapolis than anything... Sooo yeah. The Residence Inn has always treated my groups of the given years well... and I've never had an issue with their services or employees. The only thing is it's pretty expensive. All of their rooms are suites of some sort, ranging from Studios to one and two bed room suites. Very nice, but it comes at a cost of course. If you guys want a good experience and a 10 or less minute walk away from the BCC, I'd recommend the Residence Inn. The only problem is that they've blanked out the availability of anything except studios and 1 BRs through January... which isn't going to help our cause... since you know... we'll be prepping to go to DC for Otakon 2017.... Their loss...

I've stayed in many hotel chains and after a while you just want consistency in quality so you don't have to bother asking for things, The Hilton is the gold standard on this. They think of everything for your comfort before you arrive and it's already there so you rarely have to ask for additional amenities. If you are complaining about the price which is actually great for what you get in return then the Hilton may not be for you. Also the Hilton is the direct connect to BCC. No going outside if it's super hot out or raining. 

I'vestayed in both the Hilton and the Day's Inn. My first year was at the Day's Inn and our room was SO tiny. It was on the first floor though which was nice as one of the two elevators was broken and the lines for the remaining one were massive. The next year I stayed at the Hilton and while the lack of fridge kinda sucked it was a great room and I loved being able to run back and forth from the con all day lol. I'll be staying at the Hilton again this year (several other cons have made me realize I'm the type that NEEDS to be in the connected con hotel) and I found out today you can request a fridge for just $25 flat extra. They may sometimes have microwaves too but they said there were none currently available when I called.

My first time going to otakon I spent in the Sheraton at the time for maybe 1-3 of the years I went.

The Sheraton at that time during 2004-2007 was unbearable. It might be different now but the rooms were so humid and hot, we complained to them about turning the heat down and the ac on more and they said it was all automatic even though we had the control for it in the room and it didn't do anything ._. That and its like ...i think 6 blocks up and 2 over from otakon?

There was one year I stayed at the Marriott near the convention center. VERY NICE ROOMS, but puts a huge dent in your spending funds and wallet. I can't remember much about it but the beds were super comfy and you basically get what you pay for. If by means you want to pay about $250-$350 a night.

Then on some other years I roomed with some friends at the Holiday Inn. This place was decently alright. One year we got put in the older side and it seemed kind of run out but they were I think doing renovations at the time. I did like however that parking was RIGHT THERE. It was also decently cheap at that time.Not sure about now.

The Days Inn right across the con is the closest and cheapest hotel I have been in. The room I stayed in last year was nice and cool, had a refrigerator and a microwave (if i remember correctly though some rooms varies.) I am currently staying there this year and they have a garage on the site however a little more pricey than other places, though I'll deal with it because I like to have my stuff packed and in my car that I won't be needing Sunday in my car Saturday night. :)