Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rukie Angel

Otakon Hotels for 2017?

Alright so maybe some of  you more experienced people know. Since they've announced the dates for Otakon 2017, is it better to go book a hotel by yourself or are the rates better if you wait for the actual Otakon hotel booking offered on the website? Does it matter at all? I'm sorry if something similar has been asked. 

It's rare to find a better rate then the Otakon hotel bookings, and yes every person who books through the otakon experient is helping the convention, the only issue is how fast rooms can go but since theres so many people theres not much they can do. I think they could open the bookings at a better time though as when they did it this year for 2016 I was at work when the hotels went up and the site had issues getting the bookings to actually go through I hear from people who did get in on bookings early.

Yeah I know what you mean Offworlder. I work til midnight so I probably won't get the closest hotel. Saying that though I did get a room at the Marriott across the street for 2016, so lets hope I get lucky. I've been going to the con for a while but I never really paid much attention to the hotel feature until the last couple years. Wish I would have since the rates are good and it benefits the con. Oh well. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for your help guys ^^ 

On 8/14/2016 at 11:23 PM, Offworlder1 said:

It's rare to find a better rate then the Otakon hotel bookings, and yes every person who books through the otakon experient is helping the convention, the only issue is how fast rooms can go but since theres so many people theres not much they can do. I think they could open the bookings at a better time though as when they did it this year for 2016 I was at work when the hotels went up and the site had issues getting the bookings to actually go through I hear from people who did get in on bookings early.

I'm NOT an expert on this so please don't take my word as gospel but...

I'm fairly sure that the con block rooms are bound by contract.  So if a hotel double books any those rooms either by accident or by the mistaken idea that the block won't fill, the one who booked through the con via Experiant will be the one that wins out and the one who booked outside those channels will be stuck having to find a room elsewhere.  If I remember right, this actually happened with one of the hotels a few years ago by accident and some attendees suddenly didn't have rooms about a month away from the con.

Yes, booking your Ota-lodging through Experiant is like participating in bloodsport, but it's a far safer way to get your room in the long run and it saves you money.