Tachibana

Otakon 2017 Guest Request topic

84 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2016 at 8:04 PM, viga said:

I really would like to see an idol group at Otakon. The investment and logistics would be hard, but it hasn't been done in recent memory.  Momoiro Clover Z, Sakura Gakuin, AKB48, Morning Musume or U's is my request.

A stranger request would be The Squid Sisters from Splatoon. They had a live show in Japan and France. It's a hologram concert.

Do you mean μ's the Love Live group? The seiyuu have been disbanded since April and their contracts have expired, so it's not likely we'll ever hear anything from them together for a long time.

I wouldn't be opposed to any of Aqours' seiyuu making an appearance, though, especially Arisa Komiya ( Dia is my favorite, and she was also part of a Super Sentai series so double the awesome! )

First off can someone explain to me what Otakon usually looks for when searching for guests? From what I've heard they look at current trends. For example this year the One Punch Man dub, and the Escaflowne redub came out, so they invited the voice casts for both series'. My hopes/predictions/requests for 2017: One Piece cast members specifically Colleen Clinkenbeard, Chris Sabat, and Eric Vale. OP's 20th anniversary is next year, and Funimation's dub of the show is also celebrating its 10th anniversary next year, which premiered at you guessed it, Otakon 07. In other anniversary news Toonami's 20th birthday is in 2017 as well, so I request Steve Blum, Jason Demarco, and Gill Austin. Other requests: Johnny Yong Bosch and Crispin Freeman.

16 hours ago, darknessflamegeass said:

First off can someone explain to me what Otakon usually looks for when searching for guests? From what I've heard they look at current trends. For example this year the One Punch Man dub, and the Escaflowne redub came out, so they invited the voice casts for both series'. My hopes/predictions/requests for 2017: One Piece cast members specifically Colleen Clinkenbeard, Chris Sabat, and Eric Vale. OP's 20th anniversary is next year, and Funimation's dub of the show is also celebrating its 10th anniversary next year, which premiered at you guessed it, Otakon 07. In other anniversary news Toonami's 20th birthday is in 2017 as well, so I request Steve Blum, Jason Demarco, and Gill Austin. Other requests: Johnny Yong Bosch and Crispin Freeman.

First, choosing guests is definitely an art, not a science. But the basics for most of the last decade, when I've been involved either directly as head of GR, as Chair/ViceChair, or just as a sounding board, boil down to the following:

Try to bring a mix of new guests and familiar faces; avoid too many repeats. Why? Because if you don't mix things up, the event suffers from stagnation. But you want SOME folks who've been before and know how to navigate and what to expect, because that helps manage expectations and keeps your guests at ease. Otakon famously has *one* almost-always-there guest, and that's Masao Maruyama -- he's nearly always got something new and relevant to promote and he's been extremely generous in helping us connect with other guests in Japan.  (If you're going to repeat a guest, make it count.)  Industry knows we try to avoid this, and work with us to keep fresh blood flowing.

Try to have something for everyone. Don't build your guest list around a single show (or genre).  For a big con, your guest list has to have something to appeal to a bunch of different audiences. We do much the same when selecting a mix of fan-provided panels.  That doesn't preclude having, say, a bunch of Sailor Moon guests for an anniversary year, but it means that we don't put all our eggs in one basket.

Don't rely on just one person's tastes.  When the call was ultimately mine to make, I always listened to what you guys wanted, but balanced that against what other members of the team had to say about particular guests. And especially for musical guests, I relied on people who followed it much more closely than I do to filter my list of contenders, and then I'd pick from them.  There are really only two acts I'll credit myself with chasing down and getting based on personal tastes: Yoshida Brothers, and Yoko Kanno.  There are plenty of others that I have become a fan of, or enthusiastically supported, but I've never followed the scene super-closely. But I like a broad range of music myself, and I have a decent ear for it (I play several instruments and used to do musicals in school), so I trust myself to select among good options.  And it probably won't surprise you to hear that some of our past guests have recommended acts to us as well.

Work with industry to promote new shows, but don't let them dominate or control everything. Otakon has always worked closely with our industry friends on special promotions, but we also bring in relevant guests without their help. They sometimes bring in guests on their own, too, but most often we work out agreements so that guests Otakon pays for are not there purely to promote a specific title. We're happy to help with what they're doing so far as it helps us fulfill our mission and brings good value to our members. Luckily, they understand that and thus we work well together.

Represent many facets of the entertainment world.  Guests should represent a broad range of perspectives on what they do. My rule of thumb was always to try to get a director, a producer, an artist, and a seiyu, at minimum, on the Japanese side, and a mix of old school and new talent on the US side.

Try new stuff when you have the chance.  One year we had a space theme.  Among other guests originally planned (a Space Brothers event fell through due to scheduling in Japan, among other things), we brought in a scientist from Hubble to talk about space and how our actual efforts have shaped and been shaped by pop culture. I got a lot of hate for bringing him "instead of REAL Japanese guests"; he was a high value, low cost guest who I knew would bring the goods because I'd seen his panel at a local sci-fi con.  Guess which guest got amazing feedback, packed his rooms, and had a blast doing his thing?

Remember the mission. Otakon exists to celebrate Asian culture and to use Asian pop culture in particular as a gateway to broader cultural exchange and learning. We are NOT here just to provide autograph opportunities or sell your eyeballs to big companies. (That's for other shows.)  In recent years we've been beefing up our academic/cultural content and you guys have been great about responding well to it.

Anything we spend money on should have a direct connection to our mission.  That means our invited guests are *always* involved in creating/producing the pop culture we love, or have some direct cultural or academic angle that is relevant.  We don't just invite people because they're famous or have a lot of hits on Twitter or Youtube. But folks like George Takei, or Dante Basco, are relevant because "Uncle George" has a unique perspective on the Japanese-American experience to share, and Dante was a major cast member in a show that was heavily influenced by Asian culture and art and philosophy. (Several shows, actually, but Avatar's why I brought him.)

We generally don't do "fan guests" or "cosplay guests".  The GR team generally brings what most cons call "guests of honor".  Our "featured presenters/panelists" (and even our broader panelist list) is filled with people who might be "fan guests" at other events, and we try to give them visibility and promotion. Mike Toole and Charles Dunbar are among our perennial suppliers of quality content, for example, but Yaya Han doesn't really do panels, so we've never listed her as a guest. She is too busy in the dealers room signing and selling, and that's just fine.  Being famous for being a fan isn't something we've really put too much stock in. If you're a guest, you're expected to do much more than sign autographs; you must bring content and interact with the members in a way that is about more than just your fame, but about something you're teaching or insight you're providing.

My view is that we CANNOT become just another comic-con-style autograph show, or why do we even exist?

Round 2 of Guest Requests: Justin Cook, John Burgmeier, Chuck Huber, Ichirou Okouchi, Goro Taniguchi, and once again requesting Johnny Yong Bosch.

With the huge success in Yuri on Ice, do you think its possible for Masao Maruyama to come back to Otakon next year and bring a few of the seiyuu cast members and creators of this amazing series!?! :D:D:D

Edited by animefanatic6290

I can definitely confirm Tadokoro Azusa would be a really good type act for Otakon...not huge, have enough tie-in, good style of music for this crowd. Time to make friends with Horipro, Otakon!

To the person who runs this con/the person who books the guests at otakon/the board moderator:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring these guests at Otakon 2017:

1. Matthew Mercer

2. Tetsuya Kakihara

3. Johnny Yong Bosch 

Edited by nikkimel5
I had to add something

Please please please please bring Morgan Berry to Otakon 2017 too! And Tsubasa Yonaga too! And Eyeshine band too!

Might as well mention that I would love Imagawa for Otakon DC. You guys announced him way too late for me to trek to Vegas.

Many guests that I’d love to see have already been mentioned, but I figured I’d throw in my list to add support as well as add a few of my own favorites.

US Guests:

Patrick Seitz

Sarah Williams

Cherami Leigh

Japanese Guests:

Yuuichi Nakamura

Mai Kadowaki

Kaori Mizuhashi

Manami Numakura

Mamoru Miyano

Sayaka Ohara

Bands:

Silhouette From the Skylit

Clammbon

Wow Anison Matsuri for Otakon! This is great because at the very least EC gets a taste of what has been going around East Asia for some time, and AX last year. Which is pretty much the ensemble anison concert most of us only can dream of (or see in Japan)... Jam Project again I'm guessing?

Would be nice to know approximately when to expect the lineup to get announced!

And would be nice to know how seating and venue the event will take place at...

Edited by rotinoma

Jam Project... it's definitely the most obvious guest given the Anison Matsuri announcement but still very welcomed!

1 person likes this

I'm super excited for the Anisong World Matsuri especially since Lantis has a ton of artists I like. Really really hoping some of the musical artists will be seiyuu. Looking forward to more announcements and I'm pleasantly surprised by how early this has been announced!

On 11/8/2016 at 9:11 AM, Irvette232 said:

Kishou Taniyama!! ( VA ) He's voiced lots of characters from popular animes. Just a few include Kittan (Gurren Lagann), Jean (Attack on Titan), Ikki (Amnesia), and most recently, Chuuya Nakahara from Bungou Stray Dogs (which granrodeo does the season 1 OP, and Kishou also sings Chuuya's character song <3 )

Also - GRANRODEO! as a musical guest.

You could get a two-for here btw, since Kishou is the singer for GRANRODEO.

While I think it would be awesome for anime fans stateside to get a chance to see GRANRODEO in person (their live shows are *amazing*), it's highly unlikely that either Taniyama or GRANRODEO will ever appear outside Japan. He's been quite up front for several years now about not traveling abroad since he's terrified of flying. He and guitarist e-zuka have both stated this in interviews (with e-zuka encouraging fans to come to Japan to see them play, which many do) and they even put it into the lyrics for their NYE version of "Ode to Joy" in 2015/2016 (they thanked foreign fans, said that this year -- 2016 -- they wouldn't be going abroad yet again). A pity, because I think he'd make a great guest, and they'd be an incredible musical guest.

Just a couple guest requests. 
I think the only criteria they might not make it on is 'celebrating Asian culture and using Asian pop culture in particular', but every other point is fairly relevant, so I can dream, and the only way people like this get to come as guests is by invite from cons, so I figured it was at least worth a shot.
They'd be new guests and would have something for everyone. The things they do cover a variety of tastes. And they definitely help to promote new things. I don't know if that's a conscious attempt on their part, but I can say in all honestly they got me to look at things I hadn't before because of something they said or did.

Doug Walker from http://channelawesome.com/, sometimes also known as the Nostalgic Critic.

Hilly & Hannah Hindi from The Hillywood Show (http://www.thehillywoodshow.com/)

This is amazing that the Anisong Matsuri is finally coming to the east coast!!! I couldn't be more excited. Can't wait to see who else will be performing as well.

1 person likes this

Katsuyuki Konishi. Ridiculously talented and underrated. I'd throw my cash at Otakon if he came. Hell I'd get a job solely for throwing cash at Otakon. I'd die! 

Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location cast! 

Baby: Heather Masters
HandUnit: Andy Field 
Computer Voice: Julie Shields
Ballora: Michella Moss
Funtime Freddy: Kellen Goff
Bidybabs: Zehra Jane Naqvi
Vlad: Christopher McCullough
Clara: Amber Lee Connors

PLEEASE!

Sacanime Cast copy.jpg

On 1/20/2017 at 2:54 AM, SteveUzumaki said:

This is amazing that the Anisong Matsuri is finally coming to the east coast!!! I couldn't be more excited. Can't wait to see who else will be performing as well.

You ain't seen the half of it yet. :)

On 1/18/2017 at 9:21 AM, GeneralLeia said:

Just a couple guest requests. 
I think the only criteria they might not make it on is 'celebrating Asian culture and using Asian pop culture in particular', but every other point is fairly relevant, so I can dream, and the only way people like this get to come as guests is by invite from cons, so I figured it was at least worth a shot.
They'd be new guests and would have something for everyone. The things they do cover a variety of tastes. And they definitely help to promote new things. I don't know if that's a conscious attempt on their part, but I can say in all honestly they got me to look at things I hadn't before because of something they said or did.

Doug Walker from http://channelawesome.com/, sometimes also known as the Nostalgic Critic.

Hilly & Hannah Hindi from The Hillywood Show (http://www.thehillywoodshow.com/)

Yeah, the problem is that they cost as much or more than guests with significant relevance to our core mission -- and relevant to Asian culture and Asian pop culture in particular is by far the most important criterion.

5 hours ago, FNAFnut said:

Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location cast! 

Baby: Heather Masters
HandUnit: Andy Field 
Computer Voice: Julie Shields
Ballora: Michella Moss
Funtime Freddy: Kellen Goff
Bidybabs: Zehra Jane Naqvi
Vlad: Christopher McCullough
Clara: Amber Lee Connors

PLEEASE!

Again, relevance to Asian culture, or Asian pop culture, is critical.   We aren't a generic autograph convention.

Round 3 of guest requests: Phil LaMarr (y'all got Dante Basco so not too much of a stretch, plus he was in Afro Samurai), Matt Mercer and Patrick Seitz.

2 minutes ago, darknessflamegeass said:

Round 3 of guest requests: Phil LaMarr (y'all got Dante Basco so not too much of a stretch, plus he was in Afro Samurai), Matt Mercer and Patrick Seitz.

Fun fact:  I get mistaken for Patrick Seitz at least a few times a year. Twice at Otakon Vegas. And he has been mistaken for me at least once. :)

I'm not quite sure where to ask this, concerning Ani Song Matsuri, will it be like when it was at AX and we will need to buy separate tickets for it.

There is this amazing cosplayer called amouranth who is awesome at making costumes and is a streamer on twitch adored by many for the way she can brighten up anyone's day just by being herself. If you want more information she can be reached at the following links:

http://www.kaitlynsiragusa.com
instagram.com/amouranth
facebook.com/amouranth
twitch.com/amouranth
twitter.com/amouranth

Also here is her cosplay e-mail address:  amouranthcosplay@gmail.com

Generally speaking, cosplayers must do more than simply brightening days and being themselves to be deemed relevant.  They're certainly welcome -- Otakon has thousands of cosplayers and many are highly skilled -- but please see the extensive (and repetitive) posts about what we generally ask of guests.

Also, please refrain from spamming the board with requests -- keeping them here helps us keep track of requests.

Time for some more requests: Grey Delisle, Tara Strong (Both have been in anime influenced shows, Ghibli movie(s), and Afro Samurai), Travis Willingham & Laura Bailey, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn & Steve Blum, Kari Wahlgren, Monica Rial, and the Toonami crew Jason Demarco, Gill Austin and Dana Swanson.

I would love to see Nathan Sharp//Natewats to battle at Otakon. He's done several English VOs for multiple animes, and all in all he's a popular guy who shows his love for anime in his English cover of Japanese theme songs.

6 hours ago, DalekDarling said:

I would love to see Nathan Sharp//Natewats to battle at Otakon. He's done several English VOs for multiple animes, and all in all he's a popular guy who shows his love for anime in his English cover of Japanese theme songs.

Oooo, I will second that request!  Actually, he could be a good fit for the Thursday Matsuri.

One word:

WALKURE.

'nuff said

(as a idol group, mind.)

Edited by onsenmark
clarification.

This isn't a request by any means, but this is more out of plain curiosity.

Has the staff ever tried making any attempts in getting Mamoru Hosuda and Makoto Shinkai as guests?  Or would they be similar to other highly requested people like Hayao Miyazaki and Hideaki Anno that fall into the impossible category?

Like I said, this is just out of plain curiosity.

3 hours ago, UzumakiWarlord said:

Has the staff ever tried making any attempts in getting Mamoru Hosuda and Makoto Shinkai as guests?

Shinkai was actually a guest at Otakon in 2011.