Tachibana

Otakon 2017 Guest Request topic

I'll go ahead and express general disappointment with the Japanese guest side of things. Nearly all the Japanese guests are ones who have attended Otakon in previous years. The Anisong World Matsuri is amazing in terms of talent but all of them aside from FLOW have been guests at Otakon in previous years. Compared to what AX got, the East Coast side seems... I don't want to say lacking, because they're all amazing groups and I really am looking forward to seeing them perform, but... I don't know. I don't think Otakon has ever had a big idol group perform, and AX got a ton of them this year. Would be nice to see at least one at Otakon. 

The seiyuu side of things is just not exciting for me at all. Furukawa and Kakinuma are great people and I enjoyed meeting them at other cons, but that's just it; they've been to lots of other cons. I'd really like to see someone I haven't met before, or someone that I haven't seen in a long time. 

Matsubara and Aoki are both amazing and I'm looking forward to seeing them again, but they've both been to Otakon before as well. 

Maybe it's just another effect of the move to DC, but there's not a lot that's new or exciting for a long time congoer like me. Or maybe I'm just jaded. It's not like I can't enjoy the lineup that we currently have, but it just feels lacking somehow. But maybe some late breaking announcements will turn things around. And I guess there's always next year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dostovei Illuminas said:

I'll go ahead and express general disappointment with the Japanese guest side of things. Nearly all the Japanese guests are ones who have attended Otakon in previous years. The Anisong World Matsuri is amazing in terms of talent but all of them aside from FLOW have been guests at Otakon in previous years. Compared to what AX got, the East Coast side seems... I don't want to say lacking, because they're all amazing groups and I really am looking forward to seeing them perform, but... I don't know. I don't think Otakon has ever had a big idol group perform, and AX got a ton of them this year. Would be nice to see at least one at Otakon. 

The seiyuu side of things is just not exciting for me at all. Furukawa and Kakinuma are great people and I enjoyed meeting them at other cons, but that's just it; they've been to lots of other cons. I'd really like to see someone I haven't met before, or someone that I haven't seen in a long time. 

Matsubara and Aoki are both amazing and I'm looking forward to seeing them again, but they've both been to Otakon before as well. 

Maybe it's just another effect of the move to DC, but there's not a lot that's new or exciting for a long time congoer like me. Or maybe I'm just jaded. It's not like I can't enjoy the lineup that we currently have, but it just feels lacking somehow. But maybe some late breaking announcements will turn things around. And I guess there's always next year.

Thiiiiis. Although I'm much more jaded than you at this point lmao. I keep telling myself I'm done with Otakon because of all the crappy guests (just MY opinion) but then I get worried about not pre-regging/getting a hotel and missing out on someone good. But I told myself I wouldn't even bother going to DC yet I've been holding out hope. But honestly, I ONLY go for the seiyuu and this year is less than impressive. Super bummed, but my feelings might change if they announce more seiyuu although it seems unlikely at this point.

• Like 1

I agree Dostovei. So far there aren't really any stand out guests for me. Otakon used to say they like to be the first to bring people over. I am certainly not seeing that this year. *Shrugs*

I mean I am looking forward to Jam Project again and I actually missed TM Revolution last time they were here so that's something. I am also really looking forward to the In This Corner of the World Screening. But other than that nothing really excites me. 

I am just really happy my friend lives in Virginia so I don't have to pay for a hotel room this year. 

Yeah I mean I skipped Otakon completely last year because of a lackluster (in my personal opinion) guest list. I'm going this year because I want to check out DC and the new convention center. AWM will be a fun event but other than that there's very little about the con itself holding my interest at this point. I'm hopeful that will change with the last few announcements before the con, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

• Like 1

^ Still agree completely. But the seiyuu they announced today is pretty sweet since I'm currently watching Ballroom e Youkoso. So they have two extremely veteran seiyuu and one EXTREMELY rookie seiyuu. Now if only they'd get an actual popular relevant seiyuu, I wouldn't have as many complaints XD. But yeah, I'm also looking forward to AWM even if those performers are kinda lackluster too. But last time JAM Project came, I didn't care about them oops. And it'll be my third time seeing TMR so that'll be sweet. But... eh. I miss Alabaster's teasing. Hopefully more decent announcements will come.

We have a seiyuu announced that is extremely new and a few english vas that havnt been in a few years.  But people will still say something obviously

im noticing a pattern in alot of those who express disappointment and thats they have seen them before.  And thats the problem with people who routinely attend cons there is only so much talent available and only so many times certain people are available.  Anyone who is incredibly popular right now has a schedule to do first and foremost.  And some just dont like to attend cons in general.  Doing pr comes second and if it is done its not going to be otakon first despite it being pretty big. 

There gonna be at anime expo obviously which had around 100,000 i think and otakon peaked somewhere in the 32,000-35,00 range. and that shows in anime expos HORRID lines this year. And thats the problem im noticing anime expo is the anime equivalent of comic con at this point.  You want the best a american con has to offer you go there obviously.  And fight the hordes of humanity for a chance to see the big names.  Otakon makes the best out of what it gets and was on the track to start getting anime expo big.  But the bcc stunted its growth badly due to space limits and the unfortunate riots in baltimore so now is the time to at least give them a a year or 2 the more money and people means the higher chance they can get the heavy hitters.

I stand by the wait for them to at least adjust to there new surroundings then see if they still put a lackluster show together.

Edited by cant think of a name
  • Like 2

I'm super excited for the Gurren Lagann 10th anniversary treatment its getting and especially Michelle Ruff's appearance but no word from Yuri Lowenthal or Sam Regal?! Without them I feel as though the celebration is lacking.  I really hope they decide to come!

• Like 1

When it comes to Anime Conventions there are tons of big named guests on the Japanese side that have never come to Otakon or even to the US so you've just been to too many cons doesn't really work for me. 

Yes it does because there is only x amount of guests that go the us. So eventually you will see all if not most of the ones that come here.  I understand people want to see new guests but i dont understand how just saying you want new guests is going to make that happen.

If certain people come here and certain people dont there is a certain number of people to see.  When you see the majority of the number that come here you will see alot of repeats

Just like any video game eventually gives you duplicate items when you've got enough of them.

No sorry with all the talent in Japan to say Otakon has already had every single Japanese guest that is willing to come to the US is ridiculous. I am not saying there isn't legitimate reasons that the guest list is a bit lackluster this year (and last) but that is a very poor excuse. 

And I've been to Otakon many times but only Otakon so it's not like I've been to every anime convention across the US. 

3 hours ago, Kirarakim said:

No sorry with all the talent in Japan to say Otakon has already had every single Japanese guest that is willing to come to the US is ridiculous. I am not saying there isn't legitimate reasons that the guest list is a bit lackluster this year (and last) but that is a very poor excuse. 

And I've been to Otakon many times but only Otakon so it's not like I've been to every anime convention across the US. 

So how about the point raised by the previous poster about the most popular potential guests from Japan just happen to have really busy schedules right now?  Does THAT count as a valid excuse?

People can make all the excuses they want, doesn't change the lack of appeal of the guest list. Yes, I understand that there are various circumstances involved and that Otakon does the best it can do in any given year. Doesn't mean I don't get disappointed or wish they could do better.

7 hours ago, Kirarakim said:

I was referring to cons in general not solely otakon. Hence why i brought up anime expo as a example.

Also as i stated otakon isnt the biggest by almost 70,000 people.

How can the 2nd to 3rd best get the same guests the biggest and best can?  So otakon will most likely not get a large chunk of anime expos people for obvious reasons.

Clearly there are going to be some missing faces at otakon just like going into the same area gets you the same monsters to fight.

Otakon is the only big convention i attend i have 2 smaller ones in the city to visit.  I understand what you mean by otakon doesn't get all the guests.  But we dont know how expensive they are or if there only allowed one con overseas to show up at.  The person usually has someone making there schedule.  Until otakon comes close to 100,000 there will always be a big difference sadly.

there is so much at anime expo i want to see and meet.  But i simply cant because it requires a plane trip and a hotel plus con expenses.  Even if its a weak year for ota thats fine with me i still find plenty to do or just hang out and meet new people.  Cons dont grow through neglect If you dont want to go thats fine but if the numbers dont grow neither will the main attractions.

The new york con i visit liberty city anime con was so tiny and sad its first year.  But ive been going to every one and every year its gotten larger and larger and moved to a new location each time. This is gonna be its 3rd year and 3rd new location to accommodate its growth, Hopefully the trend will continue and they can start pulling in some of the big boys.

And for the record i have been every year nonstop since 2005 for otakon.  Ive seen some of the huge names theve gotten and have noticed the drops in people attending and mega stars.

5 hours ago, Zeeba Neighba said:

So how about the point raised by the previous poster about the most popular potential guests from Japan just happen to have really busy schedules right now?  Does THAT count as a valid excuse?

As I said I am SURE there are a legitimate reasons I was only arguing against the comment that all Japanese guests that are willing to come here have already come here. There is still a huge pool of potential guests. But of course many may be busy and maybe this year just didn't work out with certain names. That is understandable. 

And I personally wasn't comparing Otakon to Anime Expo. I've never even been to Anime Expo.  Although it's true that Otakon used to compete with Anime Expo those days are long gone. Anime Expo is almost the SDCC of anime cons now. 

However I will compare Otakon to previous Otakons (I've been going on & off since 2005) and similar sized conventions and I don't think this guest list is up to par this year. 

I am absolutely sure Otakon does their best  I am not questioning that but all the same as I am paying to come I think I can also express misgivings.

Who knows maybe they are even saving bigger names for the 25th anniversary. 

I have to agree with can't think of a name here.  I'm actually happy with this Otakon's guest list so far, and all this whining is becoming redundant & for most part meaningless.

It's true some of us attend multiple cons/festas in a given year, and each of them is an unique experience.  Keeping in mind next year is the silver anniversary Otakon (25th), I wonder as well if they're still holding back until then.  That said, I do recall saying in Otakons past, there's no valid reason to choose which cons to go to based on their guest lists.  This applies to all cons, including the Katsucon, Anime USA, and the little newcomer AniMore.  Yes, people get disappointed when [guest] doesn't come in given year, but they will eventually come and/or return and all will be rosy around the Beltway.  I've attended too many of these Otakons--this will be my fifteenth in succession--to realize this, and Otakon goers need to appreciate what we're having down here instead of whimpering about what isn't.

BTW, I chuckled after yesterday's announces.  I knew there had to be an academic guest coming (turned out to be two).

Is there time for a late guest request??

3 hours ago, CocoFaerie said:

It's true some of us attend multiple cons/festas in a given year, and each of them is an unique experience.  Keeping in mind next year is the silver anniversary Otakon (25th), I wonder as well if they're still holding back until then.  That said, I do recall saying in Otakons past, there's no valid reason to choose which cons to go to based on their guest lists.  This applies to all cons, including the Katsucon, Anime USA, and the little newcomer AniMore.  Yes, people get disappointed when [guest] doesn't come in given year, but they will eventually come and/or return and all will be rosy around the Beltway.  I've attended too many of these Otakons--this will be my fifteenth in succession--to realize this, and Otakon goers need to appreciate what we're having down here instead of whimpering about what isn't.

I understand that people don't like to hear complaints but I mainly look forward to Otakon for the Japanese guests (and I don't go to any other anime conventions) 

And note that what you say about the guests eventually coming that is ONLY true for the dub actors who yes do have a tendency to rotate. While it's true that some Japanese guests rotate as well this is not as common an occurrence. Some Japanese guest may come to one con in the US and not come to the US ever again or may not come for another 10 years. And with all the anime cons in the US there is no guarantee they will eventually come to Otakon. 

So I completely understand why fans would choose one con over another because of guests. Although at least in Otakon's case if you decide to go it's going to have to be before guest announcements when they always announce them so late. So when you register you are somehow doing it on a bit of faith. 

Though I admit this is just my personal opinion and I get that just because the guest list doesn't appeal to me doesn't mean it doesn't appeal to others. 

And yes  I agree with the move and drop in attendance the last two years they may just be saving money for their 25th anniversary. It does make sense that the bigger names will be saved for next year.

Edited by Kirarakim

Just so you know, some of us aren't able to attend Otakon every single year- I sure wasn't last year. As a result I ended up missing Stephanie Sheh, who I do really wish to meet. So repeat guests being a bad thing is a bit of a silly complaint to me. It should be a question of quality (i.e., they are popular, prolific, knowledgeable, funny, or bring something new to the table) and/or relation to Otakon's mission statement, and frankly, all of the guests are quality, from the English and Japanese voice and production talent to the cosplayers and confirmed panelists. Some cons who ought to have enough money to get some good names as guest do make... utterly questionable choices in regards to 'quality', but I really can't find complaint with a single one of the guests that isn't just "they were here before", which I really can't find as a complaint unless your only point in seeing guests is for autographs and not panels and such. That's just my hot take though.

I'm going to shut up about this subject since clearly no one on staff cares, but: Anime Revolution, a smaller con in Canada, has FOUR popular & relevant seiyuu this year. They managed to get Konishi Katsuyuki (one I've been requesting for Otakon EVERY YEAR), Itou Shizuka, Ueda Kana, and Kato Emiri. If a con like that can get popular seiyuu, Otakon has no excuse. Anirevo gets good seiyuu. AnimeEXPO gets good seiyuu. Otakon is severely lacking and always will be. The only time I can remember Otakon getting 'high profile' seiyuu is Paku Romi. And Hirano Aya & Kakihara Tetsuya in the same year was pretty impressive (although severely disappointing that they didn't have a panel together when they were starring IN THE SAME SHOW at the time smh).

Seiyuu otaku rant over. I just hope and hope and hope Otakon will get better guests over time but I won't hold my breath.

This sounds like venting because your personal needs arnt being catered to by otakon.

Also fun fact seiyuu are not the only people of interest involved with anime

49 minutes ago, cant think of a name said:

This sounds like venting because your personal needs arnt being catered to by otakon.

Also fun fact seiyuu are not the only people of interest involved with anime

Can't deny that it's venting, but I think I have a right to be frustrated.

And I've said before that seiyuu are the only reason I go to conventions, lol. I literally do not care about any other type of guest at all. Just for me personally, though. Conventions are seriously my only way to see seiyuu unless I get to Japan and somehow get lucky to win a lottery to seiyuu events which are very very difficult to get into.

But either way, it's just interesting how other conventions can get 'higher profile' guests when Otakon holds itself to high standards, is all.

I'm hoping for good things for the 25th anniversary, though ^^

9 hours ago, ueda said:

I'm going to shut up about this subject since clearly no one on staff cares, but: Anime Revolution, a smaller con in Canada, has FOUR popular & relevant seiyuu this year. They managed to get Konishi Katsuyuki (one I've been requesting for Otakon EVERY YEAR), Itou Shizuka, Ueda Kana, and Kato Emiri. If a con like that can get popular seiyuu, Otakon has no excuse. Anirevo gets good seiyuu. AnimeEXPO gets good seiyuu. Otakon is severely lacking and always will be. The only time I can remember Otakon getting 'high profile' seiyuu is Paku Romi. And Hirano Aya & Kakihara Tetsuya in the same year was pretty impressive (although severely disappointing that they didn't have a panel together when they were starring IN THE SAME SHOW at the time smh).

Seiyuu otaku rant over. I just hope and hope and hope Otakon will get better guests over time but I won't hold my breath.

In response to to Anirevo getting seiyuu that Otakon fans wish they could get (heck, Emiri Katou could easily been a perfect choice for Otakon this year, given both the popularity of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and how it would be fun to see her take a day trip to Baltimore to surprise those attending Bronycon instead), keep in mind that Anirevo, like AX, is located in the West Coast, which means it's cheaper for Japanese guests to travel to those cons than one in the East Coast.

Yeah, it's only natural west coast cons get "higher profile" (I find that a bit offensive to some of the guests who have come in the past who are clearly "high profile") seiyuu. Price aside, some might not be willing to fly for ~17 hours. That's a whole 5-7 extra hours on top of 11 hours from Japan to the west coast.

Wow, I leave for a while and this place goes nuts.

Longtime readers will know that it can take YEARS to coordinate with even a willing guest. We started talking to Romi Paku a good five years before we were able to make it work. Ditto for Kappei Yamaguchi, Tomokazu Seki, Mamiko Noto, Kikoku Inoue, etc.

Here are things that you might not realize can really affect whether a particular seiyu is available for Otakon:

• Timing/Schedule:  Early August can be a tough time to get away, between Obon and recording season.  The more popular the seiyu, the more work obligations they must juggle. Many are also singers and juggle recording sessions on top of everything else.  Other times of year are not so busy, or so challenging for travel.
  • Length of trip:  The direct flight from Narita to Dulles is approximately 13 hours, and there are limited options. It's not like LA where there are multiple easy routes and handy alternatives if a session runs over or a flight is delayed.  This is why some of our seiyu guests arrived Friday afternoon and left Sunday morning. They will have spent about 30-35 hours in airports or airplanes or traffic to spend one afternoon and one full day at an event here.  That's before you factor in jet lag and risk of catching a cold, which can really cause problems for people who earn their living by their voice. Travel is stressful; longer travel is more stressful.
    (Contrast that with an 8-hr flight to California, with multiple options and routes available.)
  • Risk-averse management: some managers for seiyu either see little value in these trips or are worried about someone making a tight deadline or being available for work -- the same concerns US voice actors have, really -- and it simply may not make sense for their artist's career vs other things they could do.

There are probably half a dozen big name seiyu that we've tried several times to bring, and they seem interested, but the timing simply hasn't worked out. A few others have either directly or through intermediaries essentially said they're not really interested in ANY fan events in the US.

Also, note that DC may be a bigger city with better recognition than Baltimore was, but it's not LA or NYC, where entertainment lives and where they can sometimes accomplish other work or more easily justify stuff to their bosses.

Wasn't this part of the justification for Otakon Vegas? It's located on the west coast and at a different time of year so those factors are eliminated from the equation. Do we need to wait 5+ years before OV starts getting high profile seiyuu and other guests? 

8 hours ago, alabaster said:

Wow, I leave for a while and this place goes nuts.

Longtime readers will know that it can take YEARS to coordinate with even a willing guest. We started talking to Romi Paku a good five years before we were able to make it work. Ditto for Kappei Yamaguchi, Tomokazu Seki, Mamiko Noto, Kikoku Inoue, etc.

Here are things that you might not realize can really affect whether a particular seiyu is available for Otakon:

• Timing/Schedule:  Early August can be a tough time to get away, between Obon and recording season.  The more popular the seiyu, the more work obligations they must juggle. Many are also singers and juggle recording sessions on top of everything else.  Other times of year are not so busy, or so challenging for travel.
  • Length of trip:  The direct flight from Narita to Dulles is approximately 13 hours, and there are limited options. It's not like LA where there are multiple easy routes and handy alternatives if a session runs over or a flight is delayed.  This is why some of our seiyu guests arrived Friday afternoon and left Sunday morning. They will have spent about 30-35 hours in airports or airplanes or traffic to spend one afternoon and one full day at an event here.  That's before you factor in jet lag and risk of catching a cold, which can really cause problems for people who earn their living by their voice. Travel is stressful; longer travel is more stressful.
    (Contrast that with an 8-hr flight to California, with multiple options and routes available.)
  • Risk-averse management: some managers for seiyu either see little value in these trips or are worried about someone making a tight deadline or being available for work -- the same concerns US voice actors have, really -- and it simply may not make sense for their artist's career vs other things they could do.

There are probably half a dozen big name seiyu that we've tried several times to bring, and they seem interested, but the timing simply hasn't worked out. A few others have either directly or through intermediaries essentially said they're not really interested in ANY fan events in the US.

Also, note that DC may be a bigger city with better recognition than Baltimore was, but it's not LA or NYC, where entertainment lives and where they can sometimes accomplish other work or more easily justify stuff to their bosses.

Of course the place goes nuts. People are disappointed with the lacking guest lists. I would like to also point out that years ago when the move to DC was mentioned you specifically mentioned that the move to DC would enable Otakon to appeal to more and give yourselves access to getting more Japanese guests. Sadly I can't find the quote right now, but I did manage to pull it up a handful of days ago. This is something I'm not particularly seeing.

As someone who primarily cares about Japanese seiyuu, bands who are ingrained with anime themes or big name bands in general (ex: TMR, Yoshiki), and Japanese video games, my particular interests are rarely catered to outside of 1-2 guests. To be blunt, for me, it's particularly disappointing to see the same handful of English voice actors always come to the convention. I get it, dubs are apparently popular at Otakon, but obviously this is not for me. So I will voice my disappointment in what ways I can in the hopes to get guests that will convince me to register for next year and years after.

When you get the big name guests, I definitely appreciate it and do what I can to go to the panels, concerts, etc (one of my current biggest regrets with Otakon is not getting to see Saori Hayami in 2014, I forget what it was but something else overlapped with her panel), but when this is technically my big convention of the year, when the guest list looks and feels lacking, I have to wonder why I bother spending the money to get little out of it. As an example during 2016 I'm pretty sure I spent about as much time playing Pokemon Go and sitting in my hotel room as I did at convention events.

• Like 1

Well I am jealous of the Yuri on Ice guests at Anime Fest and that is in Texas and only a week after Otakon.

Otakon isn't cheap. Everyone knows the staff do their best but I think as paying members we should also be able to say when we are dissatisfied. 

Now that the con is in DC I can stay with a friend so that does save me the hotel cost but I am beginning to question if this is a must go to con as it was back when I first started going in 2005.

Edited by Kirarakim

Every year it's the same thing, people complain about the quality of the guests and frankly I find that an insult to the guests that are coming. I doubt it, but they could be reading this message board, see people complaining about them coming and then decide it's not worth coming anymore.

I work at a theme park so I hear guests say all the time they came specifically to ride one high profile ride. Said ride is highly complicated and technical and has a tendency to shut down frequently, so when these guests demand their money back because the one reason they came isn't running, I unfortunately have to say no. While I sympathize with their predicament, it's completely asinine to hinge an entire outing on one element. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment if and when something goes wrong. Likewise here, Otakon offers much, much MUCH more than Q&As and an autograph line. I'm sorry you don't like the guests, but in my opinion that just means less stress, less time waiting on a line and more time to enjoy what the rest of the con has to offer like panels, concerts, the extended Matsuri, video rooms, video games, the big-ass dealer's room, and cosplay! Yeah you can watch anime and play video games anywhere and can buy almost anything in the dealer's room online, but where's the fun in that? Guests are only one part of a convention. If I like the guests great, I'll seek them out, but if none of them interest me then there's plenty of other stuff to do.

• Like 1

Most of the other activities that Otakon offers can also be found at just about any other anime con, and I can attend other anime cons far more cheaply than I can Otakon. Guests are what set a con apart. I can get cosplayers, AMV contests, fan panels, a dealer room, etc anywhere. But so far Otakon is the only US con I know of to have had Mamiko Noto as a guest, for example. So yeah, you can say that there's plenty of other things to do, but unless you're local to the area, why choose Otakon for those things over something closer and cheaper?

I can manage two major cons a year, an anime con and New York Comic Con. I live in NJ so I used to go to Anime Next before I started going to Otakon and when I couldn't attend Otakon two years ago I still wanted my anime con fix so I went back to Anime Next. What a world of difference. For comparison's sake, if Otakon is the fully immersive Disney World or Universal, Anime Next, despite how much it's grown, was still a tiny local amusement park. For example I had forgotten what it was like to wait over an hour and a half to register at Anime Next at the door when such a thing pretty much doesn't exist at Otakon anymore (barring technical difficulties). Not to say I didn't have fun, but there is no comparison. Otakon has gotten as large as it has because it is a great con and I keep going every year because of what they offer and how well it's run (99% of the time). It's worth the extra money to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolfy2005 said:

Every year it's the same thing, people complain about the quality of the guests and frankly I find that an insult to the guests that are coming. I doubt it, but they could be reading this message board, see people complaining about them coming and then decide it's not worth coming anymore.

I work at a theme park so I hear guests say all the time they came specifically to ride one high profile ride. Said ride is highly complicated and technical and has a tendency to shut down frequently, so when these guests demand their money back because the one reason they came isn't running, I unfortunately have to say no. While I sympathize with their predicament, it's completely asinine to hinge an entire outing on one element. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment if and when something goes wrong. Likewise here, Otakon offers much, much MUCH more than Q&As and an autograph line. I'm sorry you don't like the guests, but in my opinion that just means less stress, less time waiting on a line and more time to enjoy what the rest of the con has to offer like panels, concerts, the extended Matsuri, video rooms, video games, the big-ass dealer's room, and cosplay! Yeah you can watch anime and play video games anywhere and can buy almost anything in the dealer's room online, but where's the fun in that? Guests are only one part of a convention. If I like the guests great, I'll seek them out, but if none of them interest me then there's plenty of other stuff to do.

I can't speak for others on this thread, but I'm sure they have nothings against some of the guests as people at all.  I'm personally not impressed with Michael Sinterniklass nor Stephanie Sheh as guests this year.  I've met them before, and they're both nice people.  But though I do like some of their voice work, I'm not too big a fan of them.  And because they were guests at last year's Otakon, I've said in a previous post that I strongly disagree with the staff's choice to have them for a 2nd year in a row.

For some people, having the opportunity to meet at least one of the guests is what can help make the con experience all the more worth while.  But that of course depends on your tastes in guests.  Like for me, I like meeting some of the dub actors, while others prefer the seiyuus.

Whenever some people complain on threads like this, I'm sure it's not to insult or hate on any of the guests, but more like expressing criticisms of how the guests we're having this year don't exactly have much to offer them.  Or some who don't exactly agree with the staff's choices in some of the guests.

I'm happy to see Michelle Ruff coming, so for me, it's not so bad, for me personally.  But even so, I do hope for a guest line up that will pack more of a punch for next year.

That's just what I think, however, so take it with a grain of rice.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2016 at 8:28 PM, animefanatic6290 said:

Now that this is availabe, here is my desired guest list for Otakon 2017!!

Bands:

UVERworld

Asian Kung Fu Generation

FLOW

SID

OLDCODEXX (if you get Tatsuhisa Suzuki to come that is... :D)

Congrats on getting one of your requests. I wish I could attend the concert, but anything Saturday evening is impossible for me.

Exactly no one is saying the guests are bad or won't have interesting things to say. But there are a lot of repeat guests and it's not up to the caliber of Otakons in the past. Otakon used to be the 2nd largest con in the US. Now it's the 3rd I believe after Anime Central. I guess people expect a bit more from the big cons. Comparing it to Anime Next doesn't seem fair. In the same way I don't think now it's fair to compare Otakon to Anime Expo which is on a whole other level. 

I admit the 2 screenings are quite nice this year (although I am only able to go to 1 because the other conflicts with the concert) but quite frankly the other stuff that they have at the con is not worth such a high price for me. It's at every other con & I am not that interested in most of it.

Even the Dealer Room (and I definitely do not blame Otakon for this) is not really worth it anymore because 99% of the stuff there you can get way cheaper Online. The marks ups at cons are ridiculous. 

And while I am looking forward to the Friday concert (didn't do the Saturday concert) it was extra money. Now I certainly don't mind this extra expense but that also has to be factored into how much Otakon costs. 

Edited by Kirarakim

My point with bringing up Anime Next was Dostovei saying there are cheaper cons to go to if we're talking the overall anime convention experience outside of the guest list.

7 hours ago, Dostovei Illuminas said:

Most of the other activities that Otakon offers can also be found at just about any other anime con, and I can attend other anime cons far more cheaply than I can Otakon. Guests are what set a con apart. I can get cosplayers, AMV contests, fan panels, a dealer room, etc anywhere. But so far Otakon is the only US con I know of to have had Mamiko Noto as a guest, for example. So yeah, you can say that there's plenty of other things to do, but unless you're local to the area, why choose Otakon for those things over something closer and cheaper?

Exactly this. To be completely fair the majority of fan panels don't sound interesting in the slightest to me and would be a waste to sit in on and stare at my phone for the duration.

I go to guest panels, industry panels, the dealers room, concerts, the masquerade and cosplay photoshoots. With the guest list lacking and some of the industry panels I'm interested in lining up with the guest panels and events I'm interested in, its going to leave a lot of empty time this year, not that that is different than last year though.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I'm definitely not seeing a lot to do at this year's convention.

If people arnt happy with nothing to do at otakon why not make there own group event/panel or something?  I see meet ups pop up all the time from regular people who want stuff to do.  The general complaints seem to be someone has nothing to do because ota didnt provide it for reason x.

Sooooooooooooooo why not contribute to giving people more things to do at ota?  Volunteers and people are the life blood of any con big and small.  Organize a meet up at a bar,restaurant outside some pokemon go hotspot or something.

Not like its even that difficult anymore thanks to social media anyone can do it if they want to.

Or if people just want otakon to magically wave a wand and address there specific issue they can wait until it happens.. 

Heck get together and make a panel about guests that dont show up at us conventions

• Like 1

On 7/10/2017 at 10:00 PM, cant think of a name said:

ive heard this a few times and i think your expecting too much out of a mostly volunteer based organization.  We have no idea how much of there resources went towards getting everything ready for the move and setting up for one of the bigger cons in a brand new location.  They already are doing better then last year if anyone remembers how late they were in announcing guests.  Give them at least one year in dc and see what changes.

That is also my attitude. Otakon is playing the long game to a degree. The Move To DC is a big deal. Otakon executes the essentials well, way better than any other con I've attended in the US or Canada. Line management is by far the best at Otakon, and there are many seasoned staffers doing a good job in a lot of different departments. I'm curious on how everyone will deal with the new location.

And I think Otakon is also losing the long game. I feel the con has not caught up with the times these past ... 4 years? Otakon 20 was the last Otakon that I was genuinely excited about. Ever since that con I've had maybe 3 guests (Hayami, Makino, Altima) total at Otakon that I got excited (not just interested) about, and that was 2013. There are other US cons where 1 year had more than 3 guests I was excited about, and they don't even have to be AX. The reality is there are more "big" anime cons out there than ever before, and many of them put on good shows guest-wise. (A good example is AnimeFest in Dallas the week after Otakon.) Otakon needs to step up if they want to capture excitement from people who pay attention to those other events...

Guests is one aspect where Otakon has always outshined many other cons if you look back at the past twenty-some Otakons, but not in the recent years. That's pretty disappointing. I think people are just voicing that.

With the move to DC at least there are direct flights to Tokyo LOL. That should count for something right?

Edited by rotinoma