Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KSweeley

Warning: If the Board of WMATA approves a proposal made by the CEO of WMATA, Metro could close at 10:00 PM on Sundays and Midnight Monday to Saturday.

KSweeley    44

Link: https://beta.wmata.com/about/news/gm-propose-earlier-closing-time.cfm

July 26, 2016

To support long-term maintenance strategy, Metro GM to propose closing rail system at 10 p.m. on Sundays and midnight every other night on a permanent basis

Following rail expert and peer transit agency recommendations, Metro GM/CEO Paul J. Wiedefeld plans to propose closing the Metrorail system at 10 p.m. on Sunday nights and continue midnight closures on all other nights beyond the conclusion of the one-year SafeTrack program. The move will require Board approval following a public engagement process this fall.

AnimeKen    25

I don't want to belive they could possibly be that short sited

But then I remember who we are talking about, and they absolutely could be...

Fingers crossed 

DeathJester    14

Early closing on Sunday wouldn't affect Otakon's normal hours, but lets hope it does not cause transportation problems for the Friday and Saturday late night programming.

AnimeKen    25
43 minutes ago, DeathJester said:

Early closing on Sunday wouldn't affect Otakon's normal hours, but lets hope it does not cause transportation problems for the Friday and Saturday late night programming.

That is true, and that is part of my concern

I think a 10pm Metro closing would make scheduling things going late a bit tricky

There is also the issue of the rest of the non-Otakon days

Closing the metro that early isn't going to make the people living in the DMV who actually like being out late and using the Metro very happy...

I am hoping it doesn't get approval, but if WMATA in their infinite lack of wisdom do somehow let it go through, I am sure something can be figured out in time

windseeker    20

Looks like Uber will be getting a lot of business...

This wouldn't just be bad news for Otakon, it would be bad news for a lot of restaurants and businesses in DC who depend on late night patrons.

This does undermine the value of the Washington Metro to to the convention, but I'm not surprised and it might be unavoidable.  The Washington Metro has been suffering serious maintenance and safety problems, but not been effective in or responsible about contending with them.  They do need some kind of more aggressive maintenance program, which unavoidably requires taking track out of service, which they've been historically reluctant to do, thus the miserable choices it must now make.  The Washington Metro is in some way a fantastic system, but but a great deal about it has gone awry.

17 hours ago, windseeker said:

This wouldn't just be bad news for Otakon, it would be bad news for a lot of restaurants and businesses in DC who depend on late night patrons.

That's what I was thinking when I saw this.

But hey, maybe at least for Otakon Uber would be up for a badge discount?

Either way, it's stuff like this why I'm glad I get a hotel room. Who wants to deal with transportation concerns after a long day of having fun at the convention??

DeathJester    14

I'm not familiar with DC transit, so what are the other public transportation options around the convention center?  Are there buses or taxi stands in that area that operate past midnight?  Or is it like the posters above mentioned that it will have to be some kind of Uber or Lyft partnership to get the attendees back out to the more distant hotels / homes?

AnimeKen    25
5 hours ago, Surrender Artist said:

This does undermine the value of the Washington Metro to to the convention

I think the argument could be made early closing would undermine the value of the Metro as a system, full stop

As has been pointed out, it would inconvenience not only people but as businesses that depend on the metro being open past 12am on weekends and 10pm on Sundays

They do need some kind of more aggressive maintenance program, which unavoidably requires taking track out of service, which they've been historically reluctant to do

That's basically what SafeTrack has been, so while it's true they have been reluctant to do it, they are doing it and hopefully it will be complete by mid-March and things can go back to normal

but I'm not surprised and it might be unavoidable

I don't think I can agree with you there. This absolutely comes as a surprise and I think a change of this magnitude absolutely is and should be avoided

Early closings wouldn't fix anything and would just turn into a long term problem for the people who depend on the Metro system functioning the way it has in the past

Revengel    19
1 hour ago, DeathJester said:

I'm not familiar with DC transit, so what are the other public transportation options around the convention center?  Are there buses or taxi stands in that area that operate past midnight?  Or is it like the posters above mentioned that it will have to be some kind of Uber or Lyft partnership to get the attendees back out to the more distant hotels / homes?

There are other options, depending on how far one wishes to go.

Busses operate throughout the area up to various times and there are cab stands. Additionally one could catch a cab/request a cab at a hotel. That said it does depend on how far/how late someone needs to travel.

Actually, that's just like Baltimore! :P

mellow-osity    48

On 8/31/2016 at 4:14 PM, windseeker said:

For real. Being a city dweller, I absolutely can't imagine why they would want to close transportation at 10pm. That makes no sense what-so-ever. 

AnimeKen    25

It's absolutely ridiculous 

I have had jobs where we didn't get out until 11:30 or 12, and while the system closes at 12, depending on where you are, the last train can be 11:20, so this would have been bad for me or anyone who can only get to the station at 12:05

Early closure could leave people with very few options of how to get home late at night and if they could be affording a $45 cab ride, they probably wouldn't be taking  the metro on the first place

I really hope this doesn't go through, not just for the sake of Otakon

Anyone who has ever been on a Metro  train at 1am know those people should not be out on the road and if you take the train away, that's where they may end up

windseeker    20
On 9/1/2016 at 9:18 AM, LittleHobbit13 said:

But hey, maybe at least for Otakon Uber would be up for a badge discount?

Good point there. Anime USA once did that with Uber, I think it was a free ride up to $30 for your first Uber ride (and it was for me!) 

Either way, it's stuff like this why I'm glad I get a hotel room. Who wants to deal with transportation concerns after a long day of having fun at the convention??

Hm, I usually either metro or take an Uber home during Anime USA, I live about 25 mins away and its nice not to spend $$ on a hotel. But yeah I love the hotel stay during Otakon so I'm conflicted about 2017...

windseeker    20
4 hours ago, AnimeKen said:

It's absolutely ridiculous 

I have had jobs where we didn't get out until 11:30 or 12, and while the system closes at 12, depending on where you are, the last train can be 11:20, so this would have been bad for me or anyone who can only get to the station at 12:05

Early closure could leave people with very few options of how to get home late at night and if they could be affording a $45 cab ride, they probably wouldn't be taking  the metro on the first place

I really hope this doesn't go through, not just for the sake of Otakon

Anyone who has ever been on a Metro  train at 1am know those people should not be out on the road and if you take the train away, that's where they may end up

True. There was an article not too long ago in the Washington Post about how restaurant staff in the DC area was overwhelmingly metro dependent on weekend late nights:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/going-out-guide/wp/2016/06/01/this-hurts-d-c-restaurants-are-bracing-for-metros-earlier-weekend-closing/

I imagine business owners will come out swinging against the proposal. Guess we just need to wait and see.

AnimeKen    25
On 9/2/2016 at 6:40 PM, windseeker said:

Guess we just need to wait and see.

Well looks like we waited and this is what we got

Metro has voted to cut late night service starting in July of 2017 and going until at least 2019

This may not be an issue, but the possible effect it may have on people's ability to attend late night programming if they are dependent on Metro is at least enough to give me slight pause 

I am willing to hope this will not actual impact on anything Otakon related, but I guess that's where the real wait and see will be  

KellyMae    24

The change isn't as drastic as we originally thought though....

"Under the final schedule, rail service will shut down at 11:30 p.m. from Monday to Thursday nights, 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights, and 11 p.m. Sunday nights. The system will also open later on Sunday mornings: 8 a.m., instead of the current weekend opening time at 7 a.m."

windseeker    20
On 12/19/2016 at 1:19 PM, KellyMae said:

The change isn't as drastic as we originally thought though....

"Under the final schedule, rail service will shut down at 11:30 p.m. from Monday to Thursday nights, 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights, and 11 p.m. Sunday nights. The system will also open later on Sunday mornings: 8 a.m., instead of the current weekend opening time at 7 a.m."

That should be manageable.

Aresef    44

Even if it shuts down at 1 instead of midnight, you're gonna be rushing out after your thing to make it to your station of choice. I wouldn't even recommend using Metro into and out of the con every day anyway. From National and Union Station, sure. From Dulles, eh, the WMATA bus is cheaper than a cab. Commuting to the con from Baltimore is a bad idea, plain and simple.