Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okami

First Time Attending Otakon

Hello! I was wondering if someone could answer these questions. I went to Tekko last year and that was the first and only anime convention I've been to. I guess I'm just wondering if I should skip Tekko and go to Otakon since its bigger and everyone seems to like it.

So how big is Otakon exactly? And how many dealers are usually there. Is it better then other conventions (specifically Tekko.) Should I go to it? And if I did go and then for some reason couldn't attend could I get a refund for my tickets?

-Thanks.

By attendance numbers alone, Otakon is far, far larger; Tekko's attendance last year was 8,000, while Otakon's was 29,113. (This is actually below Otakon's attendance record of 34,211; Otakon has had slightly lower attendance since then since the announcement of the move to DC, which could very well trigger another period of growth.) In Baltimore the dealer's room spanned an entire expo hall space; I don't have the square footage off hand, but it's likely comparable to the entirety of Tekko's event space alone.

Otakon registrations are non-refundable and non-transferable.

Wow, thank you for that info! That's very helpful. 

Otakon has a lot more to offer than Tekko.  But it really depends on your preference and geography.  If you're in Pittsburgh, and you prefer a smaller, more intimate, chill convention experience when the weather isn't quite so warm, you may prefer Tekko.  Generally speaking, Otakon tends to have better programming, guests, premieres, and just generally more of everything.  Having been to both multiple years, I would say go with Otakon over Tekko.

Personally, I would do both conventions.

There's a good four months between Tekko and Otakon, so you'll have plenty of time to recover from Tekko. Besides, I usually tend to do three anime cons a year during parts of the year (Katsucon in the winter, Otakon in the summer, and Anime USA in the fall).

On 1/30/2017 at 10:19 PM, TnAdct1 said:

Personally, I would do both conventions.

There's a good four months between Tekko and Otakon, so you'll have plenty of time to recover from Tekko. Besides, I usually tend to do three anime cons a year during parts of the year (Katsucon in the winter, Otakon in the summer, and Anime USA in the fall).

Agreed. I do Katsucon in the winter, Otakon in the summer and Nekocon in the fall, which is the "little" con I like to attend.

I went to Tekko 10 years ago back when it was still held in the ExpoMart and I really enjoyed the smaller, "local" vibe.  (Has it been 10 years? MAN I feel old....)

Otakon is awesome. It'll be my 9th year in a row this year... holy crap. I can't believe I'm creeping up in a decade of going to Otakon (as well as Anime Boston in a month). I echo everyone else that's said it depends on what kind of con experience you wanna have. I can't speak for Tekkoshocon since I've never attended it, but Ota has unique offerings that no other convention of its genre offers. Their staff is awesome, their events are awesome, and you won't regret coming to this awesome weekend vacation event. That's what I can think of to say right now. :)

I've lived in Pittsburgh for almost 10 years and I've never even been to Tekko (I just hate going downtown and yet I'll drive 4-5 hours to get to Otakon, cause I'm a weirdo like that.) Though I'm more worried how this will turn out in DC being only a few blocks from the White House... but of course I'm still going.

Yeah, the smaller cons tend to be a nice way of not having to worry about overcrowded areas which lets you wind down and relax. Can't really beat that local vibe from them too. I normally attend Katsucon for my small con and Otakon for the big deal. I always treat that like the Wrestlemania of conventions and since it's in that new massive convention center it's definitely going to feel that way. You'll always feel at home though no matter the size of the convention which is something I love about cons.