nikkimel5

Temperature in the Walter E. Convention Center

17 posts in this topic

This is my first time going to the Walter E. Convention Center and I get cold easily. Is it like cold in the convention center? Should I wear a long sleeved cosplay in the convention center if I get cold easily? Please reply back! Thanks!

When I've visited the site before I didn't notice any significant temperature variations and imagine most of the DCC stayed between 65-75.  Of course it's hard to say for others, especially if you get cold easy.  I'll ask around to see if others remember anything different.

Thank you!

I've been to events there a few times, never felt freezing. Do keep in mind it'll be hot outside.

Do u get cold easily though?

Another staffer said he remembers it being around 66-69 when AC is pumping, so depends if that's too cool for you or not :)

Oh yeah, that's freezing. Thanks for the help!

I've been there many times, but usually wear a jacket.  Haven't had any trouble with the temperature, except once.  That one time the air was pouring out and was super cold for some reason -- but it was in a large hall, so I just moved away.

I usually get cold easily too.  If you can, perhaps you could bring a sweater/jacket and a scarf in a backpack or something, just in case.  You won't believe this, but I keep a scarf in a backpack all year long -- even in summer, some buses' air conditioning is really cold, so I just bring out ye ol' scarf, and I'm ok.  :)

Edited by EdKitten

Lol! I was thinking of just wearing a long sleeve cosplay outfit b/c I will be cosplaying through out the weekend

Long sleeves sound great.  Hmmm, though outside in the summer, it might be hot.  So, hopefully, you won't be outside for very long, if it's one of those really hot days.  Amazing how much we can take, going from really cold indoors to really hot outdoors.  :)

1 person likes this

Cue sound of rocking chair...

That reminds me of a story from back in the day.

In 1995, they held the Origins game convention in Philadelphia, at the Convention Center. I still remember because it was the middle of July and the temperature was 95 - 100+ and humid the entire time. (I remember getting off the train at midnight and it was still 85 out.) The convention center was so cold that people were going outside to warm up. My glasses instantly fogged up the second I hit the outside air. I did regret wearing sandals that first day.

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, I just thought it might amuse fellow board members. :P (Though I'll mention this to someone I know going to the con - he doesn't handle cold as well as he previously could.)

Wow -- that was some convention, Revan!!!  Bet you'll always remember that one!!!

Reminds me a bit of the fire alarm at Katsucon (last year, i think).  Though it wasn't hot outside, since it's held in February.  Thousands of people poured out of the Gaylord Hotel in single digit weather.  (If it wasn't single digit, it was close to it.)  Thank goodness some hotels were nearby, so lots of people got to huddle like sardines in their lobbies, during the alarm.  Burrrrr.

Speaking of the Washington Convention Center -- a long time ago, I posted that the hallways were really super wide.  But now that I've had time to attend a lot of shows there and am more familiar with the place -- most of the hallways aren't actually that wide.  Just a handful are super wide, and with the excitement of being in a large convention center back then, those super wide hallways stuck in ye ol' mind when posting.  Sorry about the mis-information.  :(

Edited by EdKitten

On 2/10/2017 at 4:02 AM, EdKitten said:

Wow -- that was some convention, Revan!!!  Bet you'll always remember that one!!!

Reminds me a bit of the fire alarm at Katsucon (last year, i think).  Though it wasn't hot outside, since it's held in February.  Thousands of people poured out of the Gaylord Hotel in single digit weather.  (If it wasn't single digit, it was close to it.)  Thank goodness some hotels were nearby, so lots of people got to huddle like sardines in their lobbies, during the alarm.  Burrrrr.

Speaking of the Washington Convention Center -- a long time ago, I posted that the hallways were really super wide.  But now that I've had time to attend a lot of shows there and am more familiar with the place -- most of the hallways aren't actually that wide.  Just a handful are super wide, and with the excitement of being in a large convention center back then, those super wide hallways stuck in ye ol' mind when posting.  Sorry about the mis-information.  :(

Katsucon's crowd control logistics were pretty bad last year and the fire alarm embodied the problem. We were in the dealer's room and had there been a real fire, I don't think we would've made it :P

Even the 501st Snowtrooper cosplayer was freezing standing outside.  This year looks like it will be much nicer. 

On 2/8/2017 at 1:30 PM, EdKitten said:

Long sleeves sound great.  Hmmm, though outside in the summer, it might be hot.  So, hopefully, you won't be outside for very long, if it's one of those really hot days.  Amazing how much we can take, going from really cold indoors to really hot outdoors.  :)

I'm gonna be in the convention center more. I'll just like go out and eat but I'm not going to the cosplay gatherings or anything that's held outside (unless it's a concert from a japanese band that i love)

On February 11, 2017 at 11:20 AM, KyoKyo said:

Katsucon's crowd control logistics were pretty bad last year and the fire alarm embodied the problem. We were in the dealer's room and had there been a real fire, I don't think we would've made it :P

Even the 501st Snowtrooper cosplayer was freezing standing outside.  This year looks like it will be much nicer. 

Whoa -- sorry you got caught in that fire alarm, especially in the dealer's room!  Brrrrr!  Gosh, I'd heard the 501st cosplayers have some layers on them, so that's really saying something that the cosplayer was freezing too.  Oh, and actually a maid said there was a fire in the spa section that caused the alarm, but the way she talked, it seemed like it was a small fire.

On February 11, 2017 at 11:46 AM, nikkimel5 said:

I'm gonna be in the convention center more. I'll just like go out and eat but I'm not going to the cosplay gatherings or anything that's held outside (unless it's a concert from a japanese band that i love)

Sounds great!  Hey, if it's really hot outside, I hope any bands can hold their concerts indoors -- or else their instruments might melt, along with themselves!  :)

7 hours ago, EdKitten said:

Whoa -- sorry you got caught in that fire alarm, especially in the dealer's room!  Brrrrr!  Gosh, I'd heard the 501st cosplayers have some layers on them, so that's really saying something that the cosplayer was freezing too.  Oh, and actually a maid said there was a fire in the spa section that caused the alarm, but the way she talked, it seemed like it was a small fire.

Sounds great!  Hey, if it's really hot outside, I hope any bands can hold their concerts indoors -- or else their instruments might melt, along with themselves!  :)

"Melt" along with themselves, lol good one! Now that I'm thinking about it more, please tell the japanese bands to hold their concerts INSIDE!!!!

Edited by nikkimel5

On February 13, 2017 at 8:31 AM, nikkimel5 said:

"Melt" along with themselves, lol good one! Now that I'm thinking about it more, please tell the japanese bands to hold their concerts INSIDE!!!!

Thanks!  :)  Sorry I didn't answer sooner, it's hard to get to public computers sometimes.  Can't wait to see/hear the japanese bands!

Edited by EdKitten