Jefferson

Re: Anisong World Matsuri

88 posts in this topic

"The Anisong World Matsuri is a seperate (sic) ticketed event, organized by our industry partners."

So, I'm guessing there may be an additional costing beyond the registration for the normal 3-day (Fri/Sat/Sun) event. I guess we really were spoiled in Baltimore... :-/

Wellll, that's because this 'Matsuri is run by different people (ACJ, Japanese labels), and even at the 'Expo they charge an additional TOLL to get in on top of registering for the con.  Of course this doesn't mean the Otakorp themselves won't bring in other musical acts separate from the 'Matsuri which only a membership alone will suffice.

I'm told by Jim on another platform Otakon is working with Lantis on the ticket prices. I assume they aren't going to be as a la carte and exorbitant as they were for AX.

Yup, announcement as soon as the info is confirmed and approved.  Partnerships require multiple sign offs. :)

Ah good. I was hoping that even with this awesome accomplishment of bringing Lantis artists to Otakon that there'll be some awesome musical guests at-con during the weekend as well! I was just gonna start a new thread asking about that.

Just to be clear the AWM event takes place during Otakon (Friday and Saturday).  

I'll poke some folks about making that more clear on the website too.

Since the World Matsuri is a different event from Otakon, and run by a different group of people, I assume they'll have their registration process?  Because I don't see anywhere on the site to register.  I guess that means that I'll have to hit the folks at Lantis up for any questions and inquiries I have.

47 minutes ago, UzumakiWarlord said:

Since the World Matsuri is a different event from Otakon, and run by a different group of people, I assume they'll have their registration process?  Because I don't see anywhere on the site to register.  I guess that means that I'll have to hit the folks at Lantis up for any questions and inquiries I have.

For AX last year, they sold separate tickets, yes, but all through the AX website. Otakon, says Jim, is working to have a reasonably priced, sensible process for doing all this.

http://www.anime-expo.org/anisong-world-matsuri-ticket-details/

Indeed, there will be a separate sales system/page for the AWM concerts.

We've got it mostly together, but there are still some smaller details that need to be verified before we can take it all live. 

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but since the AWM is its own thing during Otakon, will Otakon still have musical acts like every other year (i.e. price included with your Otakon registration)?

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, TomDent said:

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but since the AWM is its own thing during Otakon, will Otakon still have musical acts like every other year (i.e. price included with your Otakon registration)?

The plan is to have a Sunday show as well that will not require a separate  ticket.  

If it is at all reassuring, I am deeply involved in making this stuff work -- it's my primary job at con this year -- and keeping prices low and preserving a good free ocncert as well were critical. 

19 hours ago, alabaster said:

The plan is to have a Sunday show as well that will not require a separate  ticket.  

If it is at all reassuring, I am deeply involved in making this stuff work -- it's my primary job at con this year -- and keeping prices low and preserving a good free ocncert as well were critical. 

Awesome. Thanks!

Just a bit of inside pool here:

It's no secret that we have worked toward something like this for years now, ever since before JAM Project came to Otakon back in 2008.  The trick was always how to make it viable because it's *very* expensive to fly people in from Japan and that really affects how the economics play in. Tougher policies regarding visa and overseas payments play into this a bit too, because it can be challenging to navigate from our side.

It's very, very important to our side that Otakon not become the sort of pay-for-access show that has become par for the course at other large events, even though in many ways that would make life a lot easier.  That works quite well for the organizers but it poses challenges when you're a non-profit of the type Otakorp, Inc. is. And frankly, even without that, on a personal level, I still believe that there's something a bit idealistic in our makeup here that we'd rather our  members be on equal footing and limited by the strength of their fannish dedication rather than the depth of their pockets. 

But that's not really the way the business world works (and especially in Japan where there are always committees and other partners to answer to), and we have to recognize that US concerts are not terribly lucrative for Japanese bands. They're often money sinks even when they're successful. But *most* of the industry isn't nearly as flush with money as the average person assumes, and they're beholden to their investors to earn a profit, just as we're beholden to our members to preserve our show's quality and uniqueness. And the market (and competition in the US) has evolved. The only way we stay ahead is to be willing to take risks -- ones that make sense for our organization and bring real benefit to our members and advance our goals. On their side, things like merchandise sales and itunes sales can really make a difference to their bottom line.

We've been lucky to find partners who understand our concerns and goals and try to make mutually acceptable agreements. We're all in this for the long-haul and just on a personal level, I've worked with many of the key players for a decade or more and we've built up an enviable amount of trust. We're sharing a lot of the risk for this endeavor, and that's quite different than just hiring a performer. But so worth it -- as our lineup thus far should tell you. 

Concerts in general are quite costly to produce and those involving multiple bands from overseas are even more so. And we've got a reputation to uphold (one I'm pretty invested in personally) so everyone involved is trying to find a way to make the show fantastic without breaking the bank. It costs ridiculous amounts of money to either rent or set up a concert hall worthy of our guests, and like elsewhere, they tend to jump from "a few hundred" to the 1500-2k range, and then to arenas.  The verizon center seats 20,000, so not an option (maybe one day!). 

At any rate, there's SOOO much happening behind the scenes and I promise we'll do our best to keep you informed. We just have to make sure whatever we say is cleared by our side and the Japanese side first, and that can take  more time than any of us might like.

And if this succeeds -- and I think it will -- it'll be a game-changer.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for being so forthcoming about why Otakon went this route to get Anisong World Matsuri. I'd say we all appreciate the transparency.

Would you say Otakon Music Festival and Lantis Festival were trial balloons between 2008 and today?

Edited by Aresef

Hello everyone!

First of all THANK YOU so much to everyone who has made this possible! We acknowledge the risks taken to bring this event to Otakon, we greatly appreciate it! My friends and I are all booked and ready to go to Otakon all the way from Texas! Specifically for FLOW!

I had a few questions regarding the Anisong matsuri concert and bands. If anyone could answer some or all questions that would be great! 

1. The schedule for FLOW says that they will be performing  (?) On the 11th and 12th. So does this mean that they will have 2 concerts? One on friday and one on Saturday?

2. If that is the case then my next question would be how are the performances going to work? Will all 4 bands will be playing together on both days? (So the same concert will be performed twice?) 

3. Will FLOW be having any autograph, photo, and or Q&A sessions? And if so would these interfere with the concert? (For example if an autograph session is scheduled on a friday would the people that would want to go be risking their spot in line for the concert?)

4. Will there be VIP tickets for the concerts? I attended AX last year and the VIP ticket holders had their own line, were in the front vip pit, and got goodie bags. Will you all be doing something similar? 

5. Any clues as the who the last 2 bands will be? Or any tentative time they will be announced?  (Any hints would be appreciated hehe) :)

Thank you so much again to everyone who made this happen! I look forward to attending Otakon for the first time! 

While I'm definitely excited for the Anisong World Matsuri, I'm really hoping the rest of the acts aren't people who have already been here before (although I understand it was definitely probably easier to get them).

8 hours ago, ueda said:

While I'm definitely excited for the Anisong World Matsuri, I'm really hoping the rest of the acts aren't people who have already been here before (although I understand it was definitely probably easier to get them).

Yesterday they announced TM Revolution as the next guest. Its looking like it's the same bands as Anime Expo.. i just hope the last band is someone different!

12 hours ago, ueda said:

Speaking as an outsider, I think Otakon's ins with JAM Project and Lantis might help them flex a surprise, kind of like the people Maruyama-san seems to hook Otakon up with.

Has a venue been secured for the concerts or will they be taking place at the DCCC?

The concerts for the AWM will take place inside the convention center, which is partially why one will need an Otakorp membership (e.g. Otakon Badge) on top of a ticket to attend the concert(s). 

4 hours ago, MattTheMinion said:

The concerts for the AWM will take place inside the convention center, which is partially why one will need an Otakorp membership (e.g. Otakon Badge) on top of a ticket to attend the concert(s). 

Thank you!

When will the AWM schedule and ticket sale date be announced?

On 3/2/2017 at 6:56 PM, alabaster said:

Would this sunday concert be from the bands from AWM? Or will it be from a separate musical guest exclusive to Otakon?

With that in mind, is there a tentative performance time for the concert? I know most conventions usually end early on Sundays and people leave town later that day. I just wasn't sure at what time Otakon ends on sundays. Thank you! 

Look for more info about AWM toward the end of this month.

The Sunday concert generally starts around noon or 1pm. It won't be part of the AWM and will not require any extra payment or fee. The con generally ends around 4 on Sunday, but i don't know if our hard-out time in DC is the same as in Baltimore,

Dont worry, we will post all relevant info when we are ready.

Really hope all the visa-related paperwork is in order, apparently Lotus Juice got turned away at San Francisco International Airport the day before he was slated to perform at Animation on Display because he had the wrong visa or something along those lines. Would hate to see the same thing happen with Otakon.

I'm from the west coast and I'm willing to fly to DC Washington and attend Otakon solely for this event. Oh and tour around DC washington. I attended AX's AWM but the question is. Would it justify flying to east-coast for this event. If I can't get a ticket for this event. I think I be better off staying at the west coast. I'm willing to pay A LOT for a ticket. I read the controversy on past Otakon concerts. So... if it means increasing the chance of being able to attend the concert. I am more then happy to pay a premium for the ticket. 

6 hours ago, citrusanime said:

I'm from the west coast and I'm willing to fly to DC Washington and attend Otakon solely for this event. Oh and tour around DC washington. I attended AX's AWM but the question is. Would it justify flying to east-coast for this event. If I can't get a ticket for this event. I think I be better off staying at the west coast. I'm willing to pay A LOT for a ticket. I read the controversy on past Otakon concerts. So... if it means increasing the chance of being able to attend the concert. I am more then happy to pay a premium for the ticket. 

Hello,

I am from Texas and I will also be traveling to Washington for this concert. I think it will be worth it and getting a ticket shouldn't be a problem, especially if you're one of the first ones to buy tickets, thats what i did as soon as the tickets for AWM at AX went on sale. 

Based off what I've read so far, it looks like they're just going to be selling general admission tickets instead of VIP and general?? If that is the case then it will be very hard to get near the front. But I don't think they will make it very difficult to buy a ticket.

Also, what were the concert controversies you heard about? 

Thank you!

On 3/23/2017 at 10:26 AM, Felexis12 said:

Hello,

I am from Texas and I will also be traveling to Washington for this concert. I think it will be worth it and getting a ticket shouldn't be a problem, especially if you're one of the first ones to buy tickets, thats what i did as soon as the tickets for AWM at AX went on sale. 

Based off what I've read so far, it looks like they're just going to be selling general admission tickets instead of VIP and general?? If that is the case then it will be very hard to get near the front. But I don't think they will make it very difficult to buy a ticket.

Also, what were the concert controversies you heard about? 

Thank you!

This here even though it's from 2013. This is the only thing could find that Otakon had scalpers or ticket problems in the past. I remember they also had a problem like this with the l'arc en ciel all the way back from 2004??? Besides that I also got this from word of mouth from Otakon 2 attendees that have attended AX. They told me they attended Otakon and waited in line a long time to TRY and get a concert ticket. (to which concert they are referring to I don't know) and then they were told  no more tickets were given out. They told me they actually SAW scalpers giving away tickets for a price. Because back then Otakon had a policy where one person can get 2 concert tickets. So... it's left a somewhat bad impression when this is coming from actual Otakon attendees I've talked to at AX.

There's no arguing AX is expensive but at the same time. Maybe it's why some are able to go to concerts. They pay and as I know most people prefer not to pay if possible. But for my case. I'm more then happy to pay at least 150$ for a concert ticket. VIp even a general ticket. So long as I can GET in. That's all that matters to me. 

1 person likes this

I asked this in response to the news post, but I realized people might not necessarily see that--I noticed the changes to the AWM page. Do those changes mean ticket sales are near?

Also, by no means do I intend this as looking a gift horse in the mouth, but are there going to be more guests announced for AWM? Say, one making its US debut? I always love to see newer faces.

I'm actually fine with it being a seperate, ticketed event. The good thing is that money will be put to good use and it'll make the Matsuri better.

6 hours ago, Lum1n3s said:

I'm actually fine with it being a seperate, ticketed event. The good thing is that money will be put to good use and it'll make the Matsuri better.

Hey all! Just to be clear, AWM and Otakon Matsuri are two different events that are not related to each other beyond the fact that they both are at a Otakon and involve music. 

WHEN and HOW do we buy the tickets? I hope we can buy them online and not at the convention...

3 hours ago, citrusanime said:

WHEN and HOW do we buy the tickets? I hope we can buy them online and not at the convention...

We will  be announcing those details very soon! Please keep an eye on our social media and AWM page on our site.

Are these 4 acts it for AWM? 

On 3/22/2017 at 11:39 AM, Dostovei Illuminas said:

Really hope all the visa-related paperwork is in order, apparently Lotus Juice got turned away at San Francisco International Airport the day before he was slated to perform at Animation on Display because he had the wrong visa or something along those lines. Would hate to see the same thing happen with Otakon.

I'm also hoping nothing goes wrong in the visa department regarding the guests. Back in January, there was also Yuki Kajiura's SAO concert in LA that got cancelled because of a visa problem.

Also regarding the tickets, is there going to be VIP or is it just general admission only? I remember reading online that the one at AX last year had VIP packages in addition to general admission.

So from what I understand all 4 bands will be performing together (back to back) twice? (Friday and Saturday) is this correct?

Also does anyone know if the bands for AWM will be having Q&A sessions? Photo/autograph sessions?

When can we get a schedule for the concerts and or panels? I know people are trying to book their flights and arrange their time for the trip, it would be nice if we knew what days and times those activites would be going on. 

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Felexis12 said:

So from what I understand all 4 bands will be performing together (back to back) twice? (Friday and Saturday) is this correct?

As it currently stands, 2 bands will perform on Friday and 2 bands will perform on Saturday. Each band will perform only once.

Also does anyone know if the bands for AWM will be having Q&A sessions? Photo/autograph sessions?

Additional programming with the bands (autographs, Q&A, etc.) is TBD. 

When can we get a schedule for the concerts and or panels? I know people are trying to book their flights and arrange their time for the trip, it would be nice if we knew what days and times those activites would be going on. 

Thanks!

Considering Otakon's panels and workshops application is still open until April 7th, and additional AWM programming needs to be integrated into the overall schedule, some of these details won't be set in stone for quite a while. As for the concerts, traditionally Otakon's Friday and Saturday concerts have taken place in the late afternoon/early evening each day. While this is no guarantee that it is how it will work this year, I think it's should help a little on the start of making travel plans. 

Posted (edited)

I appreciate it! Thank you very much for the info! Looking forward to future announcements!

Edited by Felexis12

I have a question regarding tickets. I know that they are not on sale yet but had some questions. First of all will the tickets be different prices? It says on your website that the concerts will be "assigned seating" does this mean that the concert venue will have seats as opposed to just standing room? Will you announce a precise time and date that the concert tickets will go on sale? Also will there be any vip packages available? I'm just looking to see what the best way to get front row seats is. Thank you!

So to answer what we can at this point:

There will be different prices for general seating and VIP packages.  What is all included in the VIP package is still being finalized.

By assigned seating we mean that when you purchase a concert pass it will have a specific seat associated with it, similar to a sporting event or a number of other concerts. So basically, if you buy a pass for a front row seat, that is where you get to sit.  

As things finalize in the near future we will be putting more information on our website, and announce a time/date that the tickets will go on sale. I expect that we'd also send something out via the email newsletter and various social media platforms.

There's a VIP package? I have a couple questions I need to know

1. how many people can the concert hold?

2. Is it possible to get any special priority to have a higher chance of buying VIP tickets. I bought Premiere Badge for Anime Expo so I can have early access to buy tickets. I be more then happy to pay a premium for something like that.

3. How do we buy the tickets? ( I assume you can't most likely can't answer this due to many reasons but dosen't hurt)

So I'm going to start by noting that per some currently finalized agreements, what one will purchase to get an assigned seat at one of the concerts will not be called a "ticket" but a "concert pass". There are a number of reasons behind this minor change, but I want to start getting everyone on the same page with the terminology.

15 hours ago, citrusanime said:

1. how many people can the concert hold?

This number is currently being finalized based on the band's desired equipment layouts and making sure we meet fire code requirements. 

2. Is it possible to get any special priority to have a higher chance of buying VIP tickets. I bought Premiere Badge for Anime Expo so I can have early access to buy tickets. I be more then happy to pay a premium for something like that.

As far as I am aware, not really. The only limitation is that in order to buy a concert pass you will need to have already paid for an Otakorp membership (which means you have to register for Otakon first). 

3. How do we buy the tickets? ( I assume you can't most likely can't answer this due to many reasons but dosen't hurt)

You will be able to buy a concert pass through a link on our Anisong World Matsuri page. I'm assuming we will have this link on the Otakon home page and will include it in the registration confirmation emails. Also I believe if you really wanted, there may be a phone number you can call to order a concert pass from a live person, although there is an additional fee involved.

Thank you for the update! 

As far as selecting our "assigned" seats how will that process work?

Will it be like in the movie theaters where we see the available seats and then select them? (I assume its a first come first serve basis when selecting the seats?)

Will VIP members have pre-sale opportunities?

Is there a way we can see a layout of the venue/seat selection screen as an example before the assigned seating tickets go on sale? (It would be great to have a visual before we buy the tickets.) 

As always thank you so much for everything you do!

3 hours ago, Felexis12 said:

As far as selecting our "assigned" seats how will that process work?

Will it be like in the movie theaters where we see the available seats and then select them? (I assume its a first come first serve basis when selecting the seats?)

Yup more or less like any typical sporting event, concert, or now movie theater experience. You put a seat in your cart, and when you pay for it, it's yours. And yes, all the seats will be on a first-come first-served basis. 

Will VIP members have pre-sale opportunities?

We don't have VIP members, so no.  

There are seats that include a VIP package, which may include more access to the bands outside of the concert.

Is there a way we can see a layout of the venue/seat selection screen as an example before the assigned seating tickets go on sale? (It would be great to have a visual before we buy the tickets.) 

I think this should be possible, but I don't want to commit to it yet as I'm not the only person who has a stake in making this work.

Posted (edited)

So judging from what I'm seeing in this thread it looks like the concert will be held inside the convention center?

Edited by Lum1n3s

2 hours ago, Lum1n3s said:

So judging from what I'm seeing in this thread it looks like the concert will be held inside the convention center?

-not staff-

There are things in the Verizon Center, even if Otakon had the money.

The concert will be in the ballroom (top floor of the WEWCC), and we are looking at an initial offering of approximately 2500 seats, though the exact number isn't finalized quite yet. Proposed seating has the nod from Japan and now needs to clear a few other logistical hurdles.

Front center rows will be VIP seats. Depending on how the final layouts go, we may be able to offer a few more seats. I am expecting a lot of stuff to get finalized this weekend, so info very soon.

I am worried about something. When the  tickets for the Anisong World Matsuri for AX and many paid events were on sale there numerous crashes and glitches when people try to purchase a ticket. Do you guys have a solution to fix this in case if the site crashes for ticket purchases?

1 person likes this

We are using a separate service for the Anisong concert passes than we are using for our other web-services.  We'll be testing it as best we can before it goes live, but as I've learned from other efforts you cannot duplicate some people's "work". Either way, if the site crashes it's mostly on this other group to fix it at their expense. So it's in their financial interest to keep it up and running.

Another concern I would have when it comes time to buy the concert passes, for example lets say 3 people select the same seats at the same time. What would happen in that scenario? Would it be a race against the clock and whoever buys them first gets to keep the seats? Or would the website indicate you that those seats are currently being selected, so that way multiple people arent trying to buy the same seats at the same time?

To be honest right now I don't know, but I can say the people we are working with for the concert pass sales are well experienced in these types of online sales, so we are not going into this completely blind. 

My guess is that much like buying a seat for any other similar event, the first person who puts the seat in their basket has a couple of minutes to complete their purchase before it is returned to the available seat pool.  During this time no one else could select the seat.