kimmibeans

Food Recommendation Thread!

kimmibeans    76

Hi all!

I know that normally you guys put up a topic of recommended places to eat, but given the move I figured it wouldn't hurt to start early! So, D.C. area friends, got any recommendations?

Aresef    43

I don't live in DC, but I've been around Chinatown a bit. The walk is only a few blocks to the first place. Down 7th (or within a block of 7th), you'll find Nando's Peri-Peri, Hooters, Legal Sea Foods, La Tasca, Chipotle, Fuddruckers, McDonald's, ShopHouse, HipCityVeg, Chop't, Panera, Potbelly, Starbucks, CalTort. On the southeast corner of Verizon Center is a Greene Turtle.

Asian: Daikaya, a ramen joint at 705 6th St. NW; Ming's (Chinese/sushi) at 617 H St. NW); Reren Lamen (Chinese ramen and ramen accessories) at 817 7th NW; contemporary veg-friendly Asian Spice (717 H NW); Momofuku CCDC (1090 I St NW)

I can't vouch for a whole lot of these places, as I mostly just try to eat quick and cheap when I'm at the portrait gallery or something.

StarCreator    7

Daikaya also has a second restaurant literally around the corner called Bantam King. While Daikaya serves pork-based broths, Bantam King serves ramen with chicken broths, as well as chicken dinners. Expect a very long wait for both; typically 45 minutes to an hour and a half during any lunch/dinner period. They do not take reservations but if you send a runner early you can get your name on the list.

For junk food Astro Doughnuts is probably my favorite, but it's quite a walk away and they are not open evenings.

EdKitten    43

I always plan on going to Union Station (which has it's own subway stop), because of the many restaurants they have, plus a food court.  (Actually, the food court is only about half the size it was, since they put a Walgreens in there.)  But usually what I end up doing is eating right at the convention center (my poor wallet!), because it's less time consuming during the event.  Then before going home, I'll munch out at Union Station.

But the places others have listed above sound really great -- hopefully I'll be able to check out some of them during Otakon.

Edited by EdKitten

I can vouch for both Daikaya and Reren Lamen; both are great but have they're pros and cons. Daikaya is more well known but has veeeeeery long wait times and is always crowded.But they also have an Izakaya on the second floor that requires reservations.

Reren Lamen was nowhere as crowded as Daikaya so you might have better luck getting your ramen fix there (when I went was in October of last year so hopefully that hasn't changed much). Also staff was really really nice!

Personally, Daikaya had the better broth but Reren Lamen had the more filling meal and was slightly cheaper iirc. Reren Lamen also had this alcoholic bubble tea (I don't remember if it was actually called bubble tea though) that was amazing.

Also if you're willing to walk a little further away to the Archives metro stop Teaism is also a nice Asian Fusion place to eat. Lots and lots of tea and if you like what you had you can buy it in their tea shop next door.

• Like 1

Noel    13

Washington City Paper runs "Best of DC" lists annually and often compiles other restaurant guides. They would be more useful for places further out from the WCC.

For Friday lunch my personal suggestion is catch the Metro to Farragut North to the International Square food court.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

District Taco!  They have the best tacos I've ever had, and gluten-free and vegan options for if you need those.  I always get the fish tacos (available on Friday and Saturday) when I go.  I second onsenmark's recommendation of Nando's.  Another great choice (and one close to the convention center!) is Busboys and Poets.  I like ShopHouse too.

For anyone who just wants to buy produce affordably and not eat out all weekend, there's also a Trader Joe's on 14th and T, a Whole Foods on 15th and P, a Giant on 7th and O, and a Safeway on 5th and L.  All are within walking distance of the convention center, though Trader Joe's is a considerable distance away compared to the others.  If you're really feeling adventurous and want to walk farther, there's a Japanese market called Hana on 17th and U, about 35 minutes away by foot.

Lum1n3s    49

The good thing about DC is the fact that there are ramen places in Chinatown/near there as well as some good Chinese restaurants. Full Kee is a good restaurant that has more of traditional Chinese food taste (their pan fried noodles are super good.) If you're trying to get ramen Toki Underground is where it's at (their Curry Ramen is freaking delicious) but you have to be there like 30 minutes  before they open otherwise expect some long ass wait times. Daikaya is also another good place and that one is right in Chinatown. That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure some more places will come to mind before the con. 

Aresef    43

Somebody with Otakon might wanna reach out to the DC food truck community, tell them what's up.

So we in the JAM Project fan community might have a friend coming up from Rio. We're thinking of having a little post-concert get-together at a bar near the con. Where would be a good place to go that strikes a balance between proximity and enough space to handle a group of ~8 of us? Like I see High Velocity in the Marriott, Rocket Bar by the Phone Booth, are those places good?

Aresef    43
4 hours ago, danielb said:

every bar in dc can handle a group of 8 people

I'm looking for one you'd recommend is all.

onsenmark    78

Didn't someone make a map listing all the restaurants near the  WEWCC? I remember it being rather complete, but overwhelming to me. ^^;;;

OMG I'm so happy a CalTort is intact in DC! I'll be going there SOOO often during Otakon weekend! w00w00t!!!

onsenmark    78

There's a CalTor?

aww yiss

*idly wonders if there are 7-11s or the equivalent near the con center* (I need my cold caffeinated beverage fix, after all. lol )

• Like 1

windseeker    19
7 hours ago, onsenmark said:

There's a CalTor?

aww yiss

*idly wonders if there are 7-11s or the equivalent near the con center* (I need my cold caffeinated beverage fix, after all. lol )

I only know this since I went to Awesome-Con last week, there's a 7-11 about a 10 minute walk away from the convention center on 7th street.

10 hours ago, onsenmark said:

There's a CalTor?

aww yiss

IKR? I'm so happy Otakon again has some decent Mexican fast food. F*ck that Chipotle sh*t. lol.

danielb    19

Chipotle was my go to place to eat last year, because you could buy with the  app, and skip the line.

Edited by danielb

On 6/23/2017 at 10:43 AM, danielb said:

Chipotle was my go to place to eat last year, because you could buy with the  app, and skip the line.

I mean... Chipotle is okay, but when CalTor(t) was in its building for those many years it was great because they were about the only decent food place open until 2AM. Sure 7-Eleven and Royal Farms is also open that late ( 24h I believe) but if you want something more than snacks, CalTor(t) was the place to go through 2AM.

onsenmark    78
On 6/24/2017 at 11:24 AM, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

I mean... Chipotle is okay, but when CalTor(t) was in its building for those many years it was great because they were about the only decent food place open until 2AM. Sure 7-Eleven and Royal Farms is also open that late ( 24h I believe) but if you want something more than snacks, CalTor(t) was the place to go through 2AM.

IIRC, there was a Subway around the corner from the Renaissance at Otakon's old home that was open 24 hours; I remember because I got some eats my last year in B'more at around 1am or so...

• Like 1

danielb    19

I do way more of my eating while most restaurants are still open...I rarely eat after 10pm

• Like 1

Just now, danielb said:

I do way more of my eating while most restaurants are still open...I rarely eat after 10pm

Sure. I just had made it a tradition to eat at CalTor each year, but that was just me I guess.

Lum1n3s    49
On 6/24/2017 at 11:24 AM, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

Very true, the quality of food that CalTor had was top notch and definitely better than Chipotle. Nothing like having a late night run after cracking open a cold one with the boys.

7 hours ago, Lum1n3s said:

Very true, the quality of food that CalTor had was top notch and definitely better than Chipotle. Nothing like having a late night run after cracking open a cold one with the boys.

Oh indeed. I know I'll hit up that CalTor location several times during the weekend... I just hope it's not assininely expensive, since well we WILL be in our nation's Capitol....

MoF    7

Here is one of my personal favorites and is cheap fresh noodles downtown plus they do good duck.  ( due to what Chinatown has become this kind of place is a dying breed in DC) 

http://www.chinatownexpressdc.com/

I can't tell you how many times I've had the 7.95 noodles from their special menu with the hot tea and water.  It's an affordable go to.  I do think if it's under 10 IRS cash only. 

http://www.chinatownexpressdc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Daily_Special_Menu.pdf

onsenmark    78

So I'm hoping someone can answer this question; I'm looking for info on the Mid Town Convenience Store across from the WEWCC on 7th Street. Google has no info whatsoever other than the most basic stuff and a few photos Has anyone been there, and if so, what's it like?

To be fair, there's also a 7-11 about over a half-mile north on 7th, but still -- this one's closer.

Also, there's Eleven M Corner over on M and 11th, which is basically the same thing -- just not as close to the WEWCC.

At least I know where Nando's is. Also CVS, just in case I bring cereal and I need milk or something.

motoki-O    15
To be fair, there's also a 7-11 about over a half-mile north on 7th, but still -- this one's closer.
Also, there's Eleven M Corner over on M and 11th, which is basically the same thing -- just not as close to the WEWCC.
At least I know where Nando's is. Also CVS, just in case I bring cereal and I need milk or something.

There's also a 24 hour Safeway just past the CVS on New York Ave, only about 2 blocks from the convention center. I wonder what they'll run out of first...

EdKitten    43
12 hours ago, onsenmark said:

So I'm hoping someone can answer this question; I'm looking for info on the Mid Town Convenience Store across from the WEWCC on 7th Street. Google has no info whatsoever other than the most basic stuff and a few photos Has anyone been there, and if so, what's it like?

Hey, finally got a chance to check it out.  Mid Town Convenience is like an EXTREMELY small 7-Eleven and has an ATM.  It has the usual sodas, other drinks, some grocery-type items like paper towels, kleenex, some soups, peanut butter, things like that.  Easy to get to -- once you come out of the Mt Vernon Square subway station and the WEWCC is right in front of you -- just hang a left and across the street is a Subway restaurant, and the Mid Town Convenience Store is only one store away from the Subway restaurant.

Hope this helps.

So glad there's a Nando's for you!

Edited by EdKitten

onsenmark    78
21 hours ago, motoki-O said:

There's also a 24 hour Safeway just past the CVS on New York Ave, only about 2 blocks from the convention center. I wonder what they'll run out of first...

I hope someone warns them.

(also, I'm going to guess water, soda, and ramen, lol)

I might pop over there at least once before the con -- I'm thinking an 8-piece chicken could go a long way.(although, I'm prolly going ot need a store discount card, lol)

10 hours ago, EdKitten said:

Hey, finally got a chance to check it out.  Mid Town Convenience is like an EXTREMELY small 7-Eleven and has an ATM.  It has the usual sodas, other drinks, some grocery-type items like paper towels, kleenex, some soups, peanut butter, things like that.  Easy to get to -- once you come out of the Mt Vernon Square subway station and the WEWCC is right in front of you -- just hang a left and across the street is a Subway restaurant, and the Mid Town Convenience Store is only one store away from the Subway restaurant.

Hope this helps.

So glad there's a Nando's for you!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- Nando's FTW. XD

• Like 1

Lum1n3s    49
On 7/2/2017 at 0:07 PM, onsenmark said:

I might pop over there at least once before the con -- I'm thinking an 8-piece chicken could go a long way.(although, I'm prolly going ot need a store discount card, lol)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- Nando's FTW. XD

Dear god yes, I had Nando's for the first time earlier this year and the chicken was to die for. The sides are also something else that I love and don't even get me started on the sauces that they have :o

Man, now it looks like I'll be doing a Nando's run during the convention lol.

• Like 1

onsenmark    78

I'm thinking once this year is in the bag, we should revisit this and hammer out which are the best places to go. Maybe even categorize it; best fast food, best convenience/drug stores, etc., etc.

Just a thought, at least.

.taro.    0

So Destination DC has provided us with a map of a bunch of restaurants (they call them "Quick Bites") and places with Daily Needs (convenience stores and what not) and I've put up a link to it on our website location page:

https://www.otakon.com/info/location/

Hopefully the map they've given us isn't too out of date.

ALSO!  There is a whole slew of restaurants and local businesses that participate in a Show Your Badge program.  Flash your Otakon badge, get a discount!  Links to those are also at the link above.

onsenmark    78

aww yiss -- now I can start planning any food shopping I have to do. Just in case, mind. XD

onsenmark    78

Sorry for double posting, but in case anyone wants to go a bit further afield, I found out that there's a Wal-Mart about 20 minutes' walking from the WEWCC. Which means I don't have to bring a cooler with me, if I don't want to, lol.

TnAdct1    17

Nice to see that there's plenty of eateries nearby (in particular, Fuddruckers', Five Guys, and Dunkin' Donuts).

MoF    7

Since most of the hotels that don't include breakfast have a 20 dollar breakfast buffet I'm tossing this out there as a affordable cooked to order non fast food chain that's a 7 minute walk from the convention center. 

http://www.billygoattavern.com/locations/dc/

onsenmark    78
16 minutes ago, MoF said:

Since most of the hotels that don't include breakfast have a 20 dollar breakfast buffet I'm tossing this out there as a affordable cooked to order non fast food chain that's a 7 minute walk from the convention center. 

http://www.billygoattavern.com/locations/dc/

That's a bit of a walk during the con, although it might be good for when I get into DC on Thursday morning...

kimmibeans    76

So, this is a bit away from the convention center, but if you are willing to go explore a bit I highly recommend the Mitsitam Cafe at the National Museum of the American Indian. The food is a little pricey for cafeteria style but it is absolutely amazing and 100% worth the cost. I actually make it a point to eat there whenever I am in DC. Plus, they have a really cool water feature outside. 

http://nmai.si.edu/visit/washington/mitsitam-cafe/

• Like 1

onsenmark    78

Quick question that sort of fits this subject: are there any places in Union station that are open 24 hours? I remember there being a couple, but it's been a couple years since I've been through, and things might have changed since then.

After some checking, I see that Au Bon Pain is still open 24 hours -- apparently, all the hours on Union Station's actual website are the same. lol wut

• Like 1

Just now, onsenmark said:

Quick question that sort of fits this subject: are there any places in Union station that are open 24 hours? I remember there being a couple, but it's been a couple years since I've been through, and things might have changed since then.

After some checking, I see that Au Bon Pain is still open 24 hours -- apparently, all the hours on Union Station's actual website are the same. lol wut

Eating soups and sandwiches all weekend would be sorta blah anyway... I have a crapton of Au Bon Pain locations around Boston... not to say that I go there all the time, but I'm not going to DC to eat a subpar chicken soup with a turkey panini. lol

• Like 1

onsenmark    78
52 minutes ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

Eating soups and sandwiches all weekend would be sorta blah anyway... I have a crapton of Au Bon Pain locations around Boston... not to say that I go there all the time, but I'm not going to DC to eat a subpar chicken soup with a turkey panini. lol

That's true, but when your bus gets in at 3:30am Thursday morning(at least I saved $5), and nothing else opens up until at least 5am... ^^;

• Like 1

Jefferson    4

Well, shame that first Wawa in DC proper isn't slated until this December ( https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2017/06/14/wawa-is-coming-to-washington-but-wont-be-selling-gas/?utm_term=.a0c5708e728a ) which will probably coincide more with Anime USA.

And apparently, there's going to be a Wegmans in DC...but not until 2022. :( ( https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-business/wp/2017/05/21/wegmans-is-coming-to-washington/?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.35c4e4ec2d5f )

Edited by Jefferson
  • Like 1

hiro321    3

Hi guys! 

My name is Hiro from UZU.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/07/17/best-cheap-japanese-restaurants-around-dc-maryland-virginia/

We will have a Pop up restaunrt in Mirai(1314 1/2 9th st NW Washington DC.) It is right around corner(5mins walk!) from the convention center! 

We will have Japanese comfort food such as Curry rice, Gyuudon, Onigiri Bottled Tea and Japanese snacks etc... 

Hours will be 11am-8pm on Aug.11th and 12th (Friday,Saturday)

11am-3pm on 13th (Sunday).

If you have any questions please feel free to massage me via Twitter or Instagram @uzu9dc.

Thank you so much!

Hiro

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AnimeKen    22

I'm a little late to the party, but if anyone gets a chance, they should get down to Chinatown and go to Chinatown Express

Name sounds unassuming, but they have the best bowl of noodle soup made with handmade noodles you are like to have in your time in DC and possibly ever

You can even watch the chef make the noodles right there in the front of the restaurant 

I'd say it's without a doubt a worthwhile experience and one anyone from out of the area would benefit from taking advantage of 

Lum1n3s    49
On 8/7/2017 at 5:15 PM, hiro321 said:

Hi guys! 

My name is Hiro from UZU.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/07/17/best-cheap-japanese-restaurants-around-dc-maryland-virginia/

We will have a Pop up restaunrt in Mirai(1314 1/2 9th st NW Washington DC.) It is right around corner(5mins walk!) from the convention center! 

We will have Japanese comfort food such as Curry rice, Gyuudon, Onigiri Bottled Tea and Japanese snacks etc... 

Hours will be 11am-8pm on Aug.11th and 12th (Friday,Saturday)

11am-3pm on 13th (Sunday).

If you have any questions please feel free to massage me via Twitter or Instagram @uzu9dc.

Thank you so much!

Hiro

This is sweet! I'll check that out either today or tomorrow to try some of that curry rice :D

9 hours ago, AnimeKen said:

I'm a little late to the party, but if anyone gets a chance, they should get down to Chinatown and go to Chinatown Express

Name sounds unassuming, but they have the best bowl of noodle soup made with handmade noodles you are like to have in your time in DC and possibly ever

You can even watch the chef make the noodles right there in the front of the restaurant 

I'd say it's without a doubt a worthwhile experience and one anyone from out of the area would benefit from taking advantage of 

If you get the chance, go to freaking Daikaya. Ramen that is served there is oh so good!!! Since I was in DC decided to go with it since I hadn't had it in a while and sweet baby Jesus my tastebuds were in heaven.

• Like 1

AnimeKen    22
8 hours ago, Lum1n3s said:

If you get the chance, go to freaking Daikaya. Ramen that is served there is oh so good!!! Since I was in DC decided to go with it since I hadn't had it in a while and sweet baby Jesus my tastebuds were in heaven.

Thats a solid recommendation 

I will say the line is usally pretty long, so if people plan to go, do factor in a good wait when making time sensitive plans

It's worth the wait, but with all the activities at the con, you may have to make some hard choices when it comes timing 

grimacedia    12

Went to UZU's pop up for lunch yesterday, I highly recommend the cold ramen! They're also planning to make pancakes on Sunday.

AnimeKen    22
3 hours ago, grimacedia said:

Went to UZU's pop up for lunch yesterday, I highly recommend the cold ramen! They're also planning to make pancakes on Sunday.

I'll second that recommendation 

Had a gyu-don there last night and it was pretty good

Worth getting down there if you get a chance 

• Like 1