GasparAKAShiggitay

Anime Central (ACen) 2017... Anyone here going?

21 posts in this topic

Hey all, so besides Otakon each summer ("each" as of Otakon 2009) I've also been attending Anime Boston (AB) (also since 2009) and most recently in 2012 I've started attending Anime Central (ACen) up in Chicago area, IL. It generally and usually takes place the middle weekend of May, and it's an awesome time. I think its attendance numbers are close to Otakon's at this point. I think I was the one amongst my friends that go that coined it as "The Midwest's Otakon" or something along those lines. It's rather big, and like Otakon it's got some unique qualities and I totally recommend that you guys check it out this year. It's its 20th anniversary, and so far I'm stupid excited for what they have in store. Check out www.acen.org to learn more.

With all that said, is anyone here that attends Otakon and cons around Baltimore and Wash DC attending ACen? I think I like Ota and ACen equally, if not Ota a little more. As with all my cons (incl AB, even though it's local to me) going to ACen is the farthest away I go from home and I've never regretted doing it. If you have gone to ACen before, what was your experience like? In my 5+ years going now I've only had one horror story to speak of, but I won't mention it unless you guys want me to.

I'm curious to hear from you guys.

Edited by GasparAKAShiggitay

I've been, but like a decade ago and had an OK experience, once you strip away the act of god (rather, Peelander-Yellow) that ruined my coverage of the weekend. How big has it gotten by now?

12 hours ago, Aresef said:

I've been, but like a decade ago and had an OK experience, once you strip away the act of god (rather, Peelander-Yellow) that ruined my coverage of the weekend. How big has it gotten by now?

It's almost as big or as big as Otakon now-a-days... of which why I call it the "Otakon of the Midwest". I say that in my OP. lol. If not Otakon size it's a low-end large con? If that makes sense?

:: looks into wallet and a moth flies out ::   Alas, I haven't been to Anime Central.  Will definitely put it on the "to do" list.  I hope you have a FANTASTIC time there!

1 person likes this

On 3/9/2017 at 2:45 PM, EdKitten said:

:: looks into wallet and a moth flies out ::   Alas, I haven't been to Anime Central.  Will definitely put it on the "to do" list.  I hope you have a FANTASTIC time there!

Hahaha nice visualization material there! I'm gonna have blast as I do every year (for the most part). This year though I won't try and kick a door open like a derp, ripping the crotch of my cosplay pants as a result... Yeah that was slightly embarrassing. lol. I've been wanting to vlog my cons, but I never get around to it for one reason or another. Maybe this year'll be the year I do it starting with ACen? Who knows.

1 person likes this

ACEN is my local con. The only major issue I have with it is the lack in quantity & quality of Japanese guests. Not enough different directors, voice actors, artists & too many fashion guests & DJ's. Their guest relations doesn't seem to have the pull/connections compared to other major cons. It's like the con should easily sell itself to guests with Chicago steps away, but maybe not with all the crime news.

I haven't been to Otakon in a few year & am only wanting to attend this year to see how the new location turns out. Hopefully they'll have a good JP guest lineup as it's my main reason for attending these con's.

ACEN is my local con. The only major issue I have with it is the lack in quantity & quality of Japanese guests. Not enough different directors, voice actors, artists & too many fashion guests & DJ's. Their guest relations doesn't seem to have the pull/connections compared to other major cons. It's like the con should easily sell itself to guests with Chicago steps away, but maybe not with all the crime news.
I haven't been to Otakon in a few year & am only wanting to attend this year to see how the new location turns out. Hopefully they'll have a good JP guest lineup as it's my main reason for attending these con's.

So you're not going to ACen at all this year? I go mainly for friends and somewhat for the con itself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On April 15, 2017 at 9:22 AM, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

Hahaha nice visualization material there! I'm gonna have blast as I do every year (for the most part). This year though I won't try and kick a door open like a derp, ripping the crotch of my cosplay pants as a result... Yeah that was slightly embarrassing. lol. I've been wanting to vlog my cons, but I never get around to it for one reason or another. Maybe this year'll be the year I do it starting with ACen? Who knows.

(Sorry I've been absent from the boards for a while.)  Those darn doors!  :blink:  But hey, that'd go perfectly into an anime scene -- hmmmm, which anime would be best?  One Piece?  Naruto?  Fullmetal Alchemist?  Hmmmm.

I really like seeing vlogs on YouTube from cons.  It probably takes a lot of effort to vlog though.  I'd never have the patience -- would be too busy absorbing the things going on during the con, or would get my thumb on the lens by mistake.  lol.

1 person likes this

On 4/20/2017 at 3:03 AM, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

So you're not going to ACen at all this year? I go mainly for friends and somewhat for the con itself...

Nah I'll still be attending for the few guest that do appeal to me, dealers' room, and industry panels. This is the 20th anniversary so I was just expecting a lot more.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, youth said:

Nah I'll still be attending for the few guest that do appeal to me, dealers' room, and industry panels. This is the 20th anniversary so I was just expecting a lot more.

Yeah... I was expecting epic sh*t to go down, but ACen is fun anyway, so yeah. Maybe I'll see you there xD

Sorry for only posting this now, but here's my resulting ACen 2017 "vlog type thing":

@EdKitten

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

Sorry for only posting this now, but here's my resulting ACen 2017 "vlog type thing":

@EdKitten

AWESOME!!!  You sure went through a lot to get there!  Cons are SOOOOO worth going through all that traveling.  Lots of fun seeing you and your friends.  Thanks a million for posting this!

1 person likes this

Just now, EdKitten said:

AWESOME!!!  You sure went through a lot to get there!  Cons are SOOOOO worth going through all that traveling.  Lots of fun seeing you and your friends.  Thanks a million for posting this!

No prob. I had wanted to film some each day, but I didn't always think of whipping out my phone to do it. This was my first official convention trip vlog. I'mma do it again for Otakon, and I think I know what I can improve on. Thanks for watching! Sub and watch more on my Vlogs channel there... I have some ideas I want to make into videos as soon as I fix my main PC that's been down for over a week now. Also, feel free to add me on FaceBook if you'd like. https://www.facebook.com/shiggitay

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

No prob. I had wanted to film some each day, but I didn't always think of whipping out my phone to do it. This was my first official convention trip vlog. I'mma do it again for Otakon, and I think I know what I can improve on. Thanks for watching! Sub and watch more on my Vlogs channel there... I have some ideas I want to make into videos as soon as I fix my main PC that's been down for over a week now. Also, feel free to add me on FaceBook if you'd like. https://www.facebook.com/shiggitay

Hey, sure hope your main PC is working by now.  It's awful not having a PC.  Sorry, I'm not on FaceBook (am probably the last person in the world to not be on Facebook), but the computer lets me onto your site.

Can't wait to see your Otakon vlog!

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, EdKitten said:

Hey, sure hope your main PC is working by now.  It's awful not having a PC.  Sorry, I'm not on FaceBook (am probably the last person in the world to not be on Facebook), but the computer lets me onto your site.

Well I'm not on Facebook either, so trust me, you're not alone on this.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, EdKitten said:

Sadly I'm still using my media server at the moment. But enough I should have my main rig running good as new again.

Edited by GasparAKAShiggitay
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

Sadly I'm still using my media server at the moment. But enough I should have my main rig running good as new again.

So great there's alternatives instead of just grinding to a halt!  PS -- thanks for all your help in getting the dates for Otakon changed on the WEWCC website!

14 hours ago, Zeeba Neighba said:

Well I'm not on Facebook either, so trust me, you're not alone on this.

Thanks!  Good to know!  One day I'll probably take the plunge, but am not sure.  I'll probably love it so much, I'll forget to have a life.  lol.

Edited by EdKitten
1 person likes this

@Edkitten no problem. We should chill during Ota. Hit me up if you you wanna.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

@Edkitten no problem. We should chill during Ota. Hit me up if you you wanna. emoji4.png

That'd be terrific!  In the past when trying to get together with friends during cons, it hardly ever happened 'cause everyone had such different schedules.  But it'd sure be fun to see ya -- will wait for Ota's program to "magically" appear on the website, ok?

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, EdKitten said:

That'd be terrific!  In the past when trying to get together with friends during cons, it hardly ever happened 'cause everyone had such different schedules.  But it'd sure be fun to see ya -- will wait for Ota's program to "magically" appear on the website, ok?

Sure haha. Do you have any other social media that's not FaceBook? Twitter? ...something as archaic as AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)? lol

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, GasparAKAShiggitay said:

Sure haha. Do you have any other social media that's not FaceBook? Twitter? ...something as archaic as AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)? lol

Gosh, and I thought you'd never find out that I was so lame!  :)  I've just got a small, cheapy cell phone with a tiny screen, so anything on the internet would need a microscope to see.  Public computers are heaven!  Aka:  haven't taken the plunge into social media yet.  Not sure if I want to yet, 'cause am trying to get some large manuscript projects done.  And if I start any social media, I'm sure I'd become a huge fan and not get anything else done.

Edited by EdKitten
1 person likes this